General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Originally posted by lisac957

Love all the updates this weekend!

Me and Linda got in a 100-mile ride + 2-mile brick run yesterday. It rained on us for 8 miles, good practice I suppose. Lots of hills and lots of wind (no surprise there). I think we're ready for anything.

In past races I've done this to organize/pack for my bags:

Bike special needs I have a spare tube and c02, spare Infinite bottle in case I drop my 2nd one, and sunscreen.
Run special needs I have some favorite gel flavors, gum, body glide, salt/vinegar chips, and some inspirational index cards I had my friends/family pre-write for me.  

I am planning on putting a light of some sort in my run special needs. I will be out there after dark Cool

Looks like we have something in common in regards to preparation. I do the same thing as well as lists, lists, and more lists. Of course this time it is much bigger list and more baggies.

2013-07-07 5:41 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Thanks for posting the pic! I have been looking everywhere through BT trying to find it. I saw it on another thread. I am a visual person so it helps me to see your prep. Also, I'm starting to stress so I want to get this done
2013-07-07 6:26 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
So you all have me thinking about my travel plans. My original plan was to make the 8 hr drive Friday, race Saturday and come home Sunday. However, I'm beginning to wonder if an 8 hr drive with stress of getting there in time for packet pick up and athlete meetings is a good idea. Looks like I'm going to get there Thursday instead. This will allow me to hopefully enjoy the whole event.
2013-07-07 7:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by akrenik So you all have me thinking about my travel plans. My original plan was to make the 8 hr drive Friday, race Saturday and come home Sunday. However, I'm beginning to wonder if an 8 hr drive with stress of getting there in time for packet pick up and athlete meetings is a good idea. Looks like I'm going to get there Thursday instead. This will allow me to hopefully enjoy the whole event.

I think that's a better idea.  Even driving the next day may stink too.  I remember flying home from a marathon the next day and being stuck on a plane for 5-6 hours and that really sucked.  A car would be better since you can stop and take breaks when you want to though.

Side note, anyone going to the awards thing the next day?  It's at 10:30, if I remember right.  Which hopefully means they have lunch served there.  Again I could be wrong.  It's supposed to be a picture show but after running in the 95 degree heat today, I can tell my pictures will not be happy and will have more of a "grumpy and on the verge of death" look.

2013-07-07 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

So you all have me thinking about my travel plans. My original plan was to make the 8 hr drive Friday, race Saturday and come home Sunday. However, I'm beginning to wonder if an 8 hr drive with stress of getting there in time for packet pick up and athlete meetings is a good idea. Looks like I'm going to get there Thursday instead. This will allow me to hopefully enjoy the whole event.

Smart move. I think that is very wise. : )
2013-07-07 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Salem
Just orders this amphipod w/hydro foam for cooling purposes. I generally run with a fuel belt or four bottle amphipod, but given the race bib belt and the athlete tracker GPS belt I'll be wearing I didn't need another belt around my waist. I think it is 12oz. So it will be just right for me In between stations or for cooling off.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2013-07-07 10:37 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (24KB - 18 downloads)

2013-07-07 11:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Last long run in the books kids!

5 miles with the boyfriend.
1 mile with his dog.
5 miles out, 5 miles back in.

Felt great! BOOM! Gimme that taper! Money mouth 

2013-07-08 10:50 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Saw this on the 70.3 thread - really helped me visualize the swim, I had no idea what to expect until I saw the video. Cool!

http://viewtherace.com/california/vineman-triathlon-swim-course

2013-07-08 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

That video is cool!  It'll be interesting "swimming" in such shallow water.  I was wondering whether the family would be able to almost follow me along the return portion of the swim, but it looks like too much vegetation.

Whoever suggested the headlamp in run special needs, that is a great idea.  I think Target now has rather cheap ones.  I'm planning on a very long day, so I will be picking one up.

After x-rays, MRI, and visits with 2 docs, including a sports ortho, I have been told no running until race day, but that I can try to run/jog/walk/combo the run at Vineman.  My longest run will have been 16 miles on May 3, with nothing more than a few minutes since May 26.  It won't be the day I originally was hoping for, but I'm still looking forward to an awesome experience!

Can't believe we have less than 3 weeks!

2013-07-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Expert
Salem
Can you aqua jog in a pool?

2013-07-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kenb As far as the special needs bags, I think I read in the program that there is no guarantee on getting the special needs bags back , so don't leave anything too nice in there. 

I did not get my bike special needs bag back last year.  The run special needs bag you are almost guaranteed to get back since run SN is located basically at the T2/finish area.  Just go over and ask for it.

2013-07-08 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by TriGuyBri Can you aqua jog in a pool?

Yes, I can aquajog and use the elliptical--did a combined 2 hours yesterday!  The big challenge there, of course, is mental. 

Coach says she thinks I'm capable, so as always, I trust in coach!  She is also taking this opportunity to really focus on the bike. 

2013-07-08 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Question for the Vineman veterans: Do they let you run in with a child/family?

My first IM, I finished with my niece, but that was the last time WTC/Ironman organization allowed racers to finish with a family member.

2013-07-08 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Brian- just checked out that bottle at the running store today. Super comfortable fit! I don't ever run with anything so I'm sure the aid stations will work for me, but I was tempted to buy it anyway because it was so nice.

Bought a new shirt today that I will probably wear during the run. Still not sure what I top I will bike in. 50 degrees to start off the bike is going to be super chilly!
2013-07-08 8:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by swgtri

Question for the Vineman veterans: Do they let you run in with a child/family?

My first IM, I finished with my niece, but that was the last time WTC/Ironman organization allowed racers to finish with a family member.

I don't think so.  Pretty much every race says no family now since it can get too crowded and it can take away from other people's moment, and make it dangerous, if there's kids everywhere and some exhausted person is trying to finish.

I like the swim video!  River looks pretty narrow though.  I don't want to walk at all unless I absolutely have to during the swim.  I feel it would take away my accomplishment since swimming is the thing I suck the most at and the fear of it was the main reason I signed up for a full distance triathlon.  The spectators in long sleeve shirts have me a little worried.  I pretty much planed to bring nothing to keep myself warm.  I guess I'll bring an extra shirt just in case.  3 more weeks people!

Edited by Blastman 2013-07-08 8:59 PM
2013-07-08 10:16 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Salem
Well I tried to get to 3 hrs ,but my knee began to act up at 1:30 so I ran to 2 hrs and called it a night. I was feeling pretty good. Oh well. I wouldn't say it was one of my greatest training weeks, but I got to the century mark on the bike and averaged over 16 MPH, so I am feeling good about that.

Stay motivated and focused I am guessing the three week taper (which really is two weeks because the last week not much is happening except a lot of nerves) probably gives a person enough excuses to quit training. NOT US!!!!

Have a great week. I got a massage scheduled for tomorrow night. Need it bad.

2013-07-09 4:30 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Random thoughts!

Got my packing list(s) updated. Eliminating some stuff that I realized I just don't need from my past 2 IMs (mostly in special needs bags). Still need to purchase new running shoes, race nutrition, and schedule a light bike tune up. All other equipment should be in-hand.

Nervous about packing my bike in a borrowed hard case.

Reserved a MyAthleteLive GPS tracker today.

ooohhhmmmmmmmm.......... !!! Innocent

2013-07-09 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I have been refining my lists (packing, shopping, etc), and putting together a detailed itinerary from bike drop-off through departure from Napa/Guerneville/Windsor (type-A personality alert).

I hadn't hear about the MyAthleteLive GPS thing.  Is it offered through the race?  Will they not post splits live?

2013-07-09 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Brian-sounds like a smart move to cut that run short. Makes sense about the no kids finishing. On one hand it would be nice to share the moment with my kids. On the other hand I would be bummed if I was crossing the line and my hubby couldn't get a photo cause someone else was crossing at the same time with their family in tow.

Lisa- what is the tracker thing?

Had the best feeling ride today! It was exactly the boost I needed. It was only 46 miles but I felt good climbing. We climbed 1600 ft and that is half of the climbing for vineman. I now feel like I might be able to do this thing! Well the swim and bike anyway. swgtri and I can shuffle through the run together
2013-07-09 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Google Athlete Tracker and you rent it through their site. You have to reserve 8 days ahead. They have a FAQ which is pretty good. I will be renting one as well so my son and wife mainly but friends as well can track me.
2013-07-10 10:06 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TriGuyBri Google Athlete Tracker and you rent it through their site. You have to reserve 8 days ahead. They have a FAQ which is pretty good. I will be renting one as well so my son and wife mainly but friends as well can track me.

Yeah it's a third party (not associated with Vineman or any race) but it's a little unit you wear on a race belt that tracks you in REAL TIME (bike and run, not swim) - just like a Garmin GPS would track your car traveling on the road. I used one in 2011 and my family was so grateful - they could tell exactly where I was and plan their day much better.

I believe the "tracking" that races provide are just when you cross timing mats, so only a handful throughout the day. This is every second of the race - and anyone can view from a computer, phone, or personal device. My parents said it worked great on their iPhone and iPad last time, and my friends said they watched me from home - I think they even have a new app now.

http://www.myathletelive.com/

Edited by lisac957 2013-07-10 10:08 AM

2013-07-10 10:10 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by akrenik  Had the best feeling ride today! It was exactly the boost I needed. It was only 46 miles but I felt good climbing. We climbed 1600 ft and that is half of the climbing for vineman. I now feel like I might be able to do this thing! Well the swim and bike anyway. swgtri and I can shuffle through the run together

Awesome!! Love those confidence boosters.
HEY don't forget me! I will be shuffling with ya'll as well  

I did my 4200yd nonstop swim last night and was very pleased (1:20:45) - super consistent with past IM swims and nonstop long swim trainings on only 1x per week this time around. Not proud of the slacking in training, but surprised I've remained so consistent even on that long of a swim.

2013-07-10 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by akrenik  Had the best feeling ride today! It was exactly the boost I needed. It was only 46 miles but I felt good climbing. We climbed 1600 ft and that is half of the climbing for vineman. I now feel like I might be able to do this thing! Well the swim and bike anyway. swgtri and I can shuffle through the run together

I'd be thrilled to have the company!  I plan to enjoy the victory lap (aka marathon)!

2013-07-10 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Bronze member

That video was great - it does help with the metal race preparation!  All those people walking... I wonder if the water level is still that low?  I walked for maybe 30 seconds at one point at IMKY. It was more as a novelty and a good chance to de-fog my goggles, but I think overall it's less efficient.  oh well, could be a good break to stretch the arms on the second lap, I suppose.

I can't believe the race is only 2.5 weeks away now.  I still have one last long run tomorrow morning, a 70 mile ride Saturday, and hopefully a long OWS next Monday, but I'm ready to do this.  Definitely need to go over my packing list asap!

2013-07-10 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by swgtri

I'd be thrilled to have the company!  I plan to enjoy the victory lap (aka marathon)!

What a great way to look at it....the victory lap! I LOVE that! Totally changes my perspective on it.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29