BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-04 2:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by jbwills A race question for everyone. What races have you done that you think others should do or what races are on your "bucket list"? Mine: Pikes Peak Ascent Pikes Peak Marathon Boston Marathon Equinox Marathon (Fairbanks, AK) A race in all 50 states of at least an Olympic Length Triathlon or a Half-Marathon Looking for some others to try and plan and build a racing schedule of great races. Looking for some beautiful places to visit and great scenary. Some that I would like to do but not a bucket list: Escape from Alcatraz Leadman Tri IM Lake Placid Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon (cross Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel into/out of Canada)

I'm not sure that I have a bucket list of must do events.  I'm more of a so many events so little time person!  I would like to do the Augusta 70.3 sometime and since I have a cousin at UGA now, I should probably get on it.  I thought that I wanted to do Shamrock but I find that I am leaning towards Myrtle Beach again for next year.  I think that swimming in the Bay of Fundy sounds like a good time so Challenge St. Andrews is on the list.  I'd like to go back and to Vineman again.  That was beautiful but I'm afraid that it would feel less special doing it a second time.

ETA:  I had Chesapeakeman on my short list but swimming with the jellies in the Chesapeake scares me and also it sounded potentially lonely.  I don't mind a smaller race (see also, Gator Half) but that seemed super sparse for a 140.6.  Now that it's IM Maryland, I'm guessing more people will sign up.  That could be on my list again.  

That would be cool!  I "rode" the tidal bore on the Bay of Fundy and it was a blast!

2014-06-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by bcraht

TJ, I can't imagine the emotions you must be going through, but it does not surprise me that your son has made that choice.  Great moms raise great sons.

Welcome Stevey!

Leaving at 5am tomorrow for Boise.  Supposed to be hot, and race start is noon....

My students graduate tonight--the three grad days are yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Our Program Director nixed yesterday due to a conference.  If it had've been tomorrow I would have had to miss it.  One of my students wrote a letter to the Grad Organizing Committee making a plea for their ceremony be today so I could be there.  I was extremely humbled, and thankfully the committee made it happen

Good luck to all racing Manatees this weekend.

So cool that you'll be there for the graduation! And cooler still that they want you there for the graduation (not that we're surprised). And as for the race, stay cool   Would cooling sleeves help?

Agree about everything!

2014-06-04 2:18 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Orlando

Yep.  This is Lysippe (Lysi).  She is a Hungarian Pumi (NOT a dread-locked Puli, although they are related way back).  They are a sheep herding breed and therefore are good at agility.  She came home from the Czech Republic on Saturday and is settling in nicely with the human and furry family

Lysippe
Lysippe was another Amazon Queen with a tragic story. But like almost all Amazon tales, her's was a story of strength instead of martyrdom. Lysippe had a son named Tanais who was completely devoted to war and scorned marriage. Though this was totally normal in Amazon society, Aphrodite was none too pleased and cursed him with falling in love with his own mother. Unable to deal with this, he threw himself into a river and drowned. Lysippe buried her pain in work. She built the Amazon capital city Themiscrya, consolidating the Amazon Nation and building lots of temples to Artemis (NOT Aphrodite). She established the policies that the Amazons are known for. She was a notable general, and the first to lead an attack force with cavalry.

Yay, another manatee puppy!!

Whew, I think i'm all caught up with responses now!!!

2014-06-04 2:20 PM

User image

Master

TJ, I can't imagine the emotions you must be going through, but it does not surprise me that your son has made that choice.  Great moms raise great sons.

Welcome Stevey!

Leaving at 5am tomorrow for Boise.  Supposed to be hot, and race start is noon....

My students graduate tonight--the three grad days are yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Our Program Director nixed yesterday due to a conference.  If it had've been tomorrow I would have had to miss it.  One of my students wrote a letter to the Grad Organizing Committee making a plea for their ceremony be today so I could be there.  I was extremely humbled, and thankfully the committee made it happen

So cool that you'll be there for the graduation! And cooler still that they want you there for the graduation (not that we're surprised). And as for the race, stay cool   Would cooling sleeves help?

Hmmm, that's a hot tip.  Might have to try those.

2014-06-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Thanks for the welcome!
Been a long time stalker and used to be quite regular here....
Now i just need to get back into it!
2014-06-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Welcome Stevey!

Silly question, but what are cooling sleeves? (Apart from something sleeve like that keeps you cool?) (possibly not translated into british properly)

Edited by SteveyD 2014-06-04 2:45 PM

2014-06-04 2:52 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by SteveyD

Welcome Stevey!

Silly question, but what are cooling sleeves? (Apart from something sleeve like that keeps you cool?) (possibly not translated into british properly)

They are sleeves (similar to arm warmers) that use either water poured on them or sweat to keep the arms, and consequently, the body cooler. Here is the DeSoto version but I've seen other brands as well

2014-06-04 3:25 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yep.  This is Lysippe (Lysi).  She is a Hungarian Pumi (NOT a dread-locked Puli, although they are related way back).  They are a sheep herding breed and therefore are good at agility.  She came home from the Czech Republic on Saturday and is settling in nicely with the human and furry family

Lysippe
Lysippe was another Amazon Queen with a tragic story. But like almost all Amazon tales, her's was a story of strength instead of martyrdom. Lysippe had a son named Tanais who was completely devoted to war and scorned marriage. Though this was totally normal in Amazon society, Aphrodite was none too pleased and cursed him with falling in love with his own mother. Unable to deal with this, he threw himself into a river and drowned. Lysippe buried her pain in work. She built the Amazon capital city Themiscrya, consolidating the Amazon Nation and building lots of temples to Artemis (NOT Aphrodite). She established the policies that the Amazons are known for. She was a notable general, and the first to lead an attack force with cavalry.

PUPPY!!!!

2014-06-04 4:07 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Lysippe

She's adorable!! I just saw a Pumi when watching a Crufts competition on YouTube.  Can't remember if it was agility or freestyle heelwork (essentially dog dancing).  It was awfully cute, especially those ears.  How big will she get?

2014-06-04 5:33 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by SteveyD

Stevey, welcome. If you've been in here before, you need no warning. I pretty much use my cooling sleeves for every bike ride from now until October. I got a pair from one of my kids from Amazon.  Those aren't the ones I have, but they all seem to be the same(ish).

2014-06-04 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TJ, congratulations!!! You have obviously raised a young man of integrity and honor. I am holdng you and yours close to my heart, I can't imagine the emotions you are going through now. 

2014-06-04 5:38 PM
in reply to: Tripopo

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Kirk, congrats on the possibility of job changes. I hope all goes well for you. Now get out there and get to work on some training, there is no time like the present!

2014-06-04 5:52 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

In regards to "bucket list" races, I'm not sure I have a list because it is always changing. I'd love to do some odd stuff and some long stuff. So, at some point, a Ragnar or other relay is a must. And I'd like to do the Goofy or Dopey at WDW. If you are doing 50 in 50, Disney would be on my list, as I think the experience is first rate. You won't go fast, nor sleep much the night before, but it is pretty cool to go through that castle midrace. Of course, I am an admitted Disnoid, so my perspective is different. Also, I am beginning to look into bike events, like Sunrise to Sunset here in Fl. Not a race though, so not sure if that is the type of thing you are looking for.

BTW, do you need to build the "Manatee Meetup" into your races? 2 for 1 race at rev3 Fl this year, since Ann-Marie will be buying me a frosty adult beverage there this year.

2014-06-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

In regards to "bucket list" races, I'm not sure I have a list because it is always changing. I'd love to do some odd stuff and some long stuff. So, at some point, a Ragnar or other relay is a must. And I'd like to do the Goofy or Dopey at WDW. If you are doing 50 in 50, Disney would be on my list, as I think the experience is first rate. You won't go fast, nor sleep much the night before, but it is pretty cool to go through that castle midrace. Of course, I am an admitted Disnoid, so my perspective is different. Also, I am beginning to look into bike events, like Sunrise to Sunset here in Fl. Not a race though, so not sure if that is the type of thing you are looking for.

BTW, do you need to build the "Manatee Meetup" into your races? 2 for 1 race at rev3 Fl this year, since Ann-Marie will be buying me a frosty adult beverage there this year.

No way, I have faith in Yanti!!

2014-06-04 6:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Question for the Manatees

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

I have nothing bright enough to help you. I think most of the MTB guys use Night Riders, which I suspect are pretty strong.

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Triple post?!?!

Edited by cdban66 2014-06-04 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Danged DP

Edited by cdban66 2014-06-04 6:15 PM
2014-06-04 6:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Keep in mind, this one has an epic ending. That alone may take awhile. And, she's on the world's longest marriage/honeymoon spree. 

One free beer for Chris!

2014-06-04 8:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Plan to put some Manatee Meet-ups into the schedule. This year will be very limited to not being home until September. But hopefully do some traveling next year.

Considering bike events and maybe even some OWS in the 50 in 50 goal.
2014-06-04 9:48 PM

User image

Master

A'right, A'right, step aside, emo mom coming through...

So I waited to tell y'all about this until I was relatively sure it's going to happen.  Now I'm relatively sure it's going to happen.

This Sunday DS2 leaves to go back to SoCal to "graduate" from UCLA. He's not walking or I'd be going too. Anyway... he'll be back in about a week. Then sometime in the very near future he will be leaving for *gulp* Navy bootcamp. He's been talking for some time about whether to go on to medical school or go in to the navy. As things fell in to place it looked more like Navy. I am proud as punch in one heartbeat and scared to death the next.

Because he has a college degree and because he basically aced all of the tests they threw at him he will be going in to either the intelligence program or the nuclear (or nucular) program. Soooooo it looks like DH and I will be making a trip to Great Lakes, Illinois in a few weeks for his first graduation. Then he'll be headed to more school for whichever program he ends up in.

Of course, part of me is also mourning the loss of my best race buddy. Hopefully he'll still be able to do RnR Denver, and hopefully we can still squeeze in a few more in and around his school schedule before they send him wherever they send those top secret braniac types.

*sigh*

Woot! Love those Navy boys.

Good luck...to the whole family.

2014-06-05 12:04 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Hi!

I’d like to join this fun club if you’ll have me.

I tried this before, but it didn’t save. All for the best though, because this one I think sounds much better. (I’m a little bit of a perfectionist). This group sounds like a great idea, a community of accountability buddies. I’ve been “lurking” for a while, and have been getting more and more inspired, and I have actually picked a race that I want to do. I think I have opened up my training logs, but I’m not sure. If it doesn’t work, please let me know how to do this!

My Name: Emily, age 25

My Story: I’m a runner by trade. I caught the bug when we did the 12 minute run in high school and I rocked it. From there, I started running, training for a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon all before I was 19. I loved the high that it gave me, the feeling that I could do anything, AND the fact that it proved my dad wrong. I injured my knee (partially torn ACL) and just got burned out. I even went to volunteer at Ironman Lake Placid – money in my pocket to register –but then I looked at the bike course. (I am currently very afraid of my bike – falling off into oncoming traffic will do that to you.

Fast forward 4 years, I’m about 30 lbs heavier, out of shape, and not feeling comfortable in my own skin. Breast cancer also runs in my family among the younger people, and after a scare myself, an Aunt and a close friend being diagnosed with metastatic cancer and an Aunt being diagnosed with diabetes, I decided it was time to take control myself. I have a younger sister who needs a positive role model, AND if there were to be anything wrong, I’d like to know that I’m in the best shape possible to fight it.

I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). I have a road bike I bought years before (it’s a little big) and I’ve started swimming (although I look like a flopping fish in the water).

Family Situation: I am single, and live at home with my mom, sister, brother and step dad. I’m the oldest of six, and spend much time caring for my youngest sister (she’s wonderful. At 11, she’s the light of my life. Really, she could be my daughter). My mom deals with bipolar disorder and severe depression that is not well controlled by medication, so I spend a lot of time caring for her as well (and trying to inspire her to get moving) and taking over when we find her in the hospital for one of her episodes)

Current Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car)

Race Schedule:
I’d like to do the Subaru Triathlon Series in Orillia. It’s a sprint triathlon race. I’m not sure if 10 weeks is enough time to train for a Sprint Triathlon based on where I’m at now. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Also, my big goal right now is to do a push up. I'm SO close, but I am also running out of patience.

Body composition:
I’d like to lose about 30lbs, and 20% body fat. I’ve already lost about 13 lbs since I started this new fitness regime, however, I LOVE junk food so it's kind of a challenge. I've gotten much better with this though.

Looking forward to joining you on this journey!

2014-06-05 12:25 AM
in reply to: tigrrruns

User image

Master

Originally posted by tigrrruns Hi! I’d like to join this fun club if you’ll have me. I tried this before, but it didn’t save. All for the best though, because this one I think sounds much better. (I’m a little bit of a perfectionist). This group sounds like a great idea, a community of accountability buddies. I’ve been “lurking” for a while, and have been getting more and more inspired, and I have actually picked a race that I want to do. I think I have opened up my training logs, but I’m not sure. If it doesn’t work, please let me know how to do this! My Name: Emily, age 25 My Story: I’m a runner by trade. I caught the bug when we did the 12 minute run in high school and I rocked it. From there, I started running, training for a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon all before I was 19. I loved the high that it gave me, the feeling that I could do anything, AND the fact that it proved my dad wrong. I injured my knee (partially torn ACL) and just got burned out. I even went to volunteer at Ironman Lake Placid – money in my pocket to register –but then I looked at the bike course. (I am currently very afraid of my bike – falling off into oncoming traffic will do that to you. Fast forward 4 years, I’m about 30 lbs heavier, out of shape, and not feeling comfortable in my own skin. Breast cancer also runs in my family among the younger people, and after a scare myself, an Aunt and a close friend being diagnosed with metastatic cancer and an Aunt being diagnosed with diabetes, I decided it was time to take control myself. I have a younger sister who needs a positive role model, AND if there were to be anything wrong, I’d like to know that I’m in the best shape possible to fight it. I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). I have a road bike I bought years before (it’s a little big) and I’ve started swimming (although I look like a flopping fish in the water). Family Situation: I am single, and live at home with my mom, sister, brother and step dad. I’m the oldest of six, and spend much time caring for my youngest sister (she’s wonderful. At 11, she’s the light of my life. Really, she could be my daughter). My mom deals with bipolar disorder and severe depression that is not well controlled by medication, so I spend a lot of time caring for her as well (and trying to inspire her to get moving) and taking over when we find her in the hospital for one of her episodes) Current Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car) Race Schedule: I’d like to do the Subaru Triathlon Series in Orillia. It’s a sprint triathlon race. I’m not sure if 10 weeks is enough time to train for a Sprint Triathlon based on where I’m at now. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also, my big goal right now is to do a push up. I'm SO close, but I am also running out of patience. Body composition: I’d like to lose about 30lbs, and 20% body fat. I’ve already lost about 13 lbs since I started this new fitness regime, however, I LOVE junk food so it's kind of a challenge. I've gotten much better with this though. Looking forward to joining you on this journey!

Goody! I get to be the first to say...

Welcome, Emily. Glad you jumped in. The manatee water is so very inviting.  

It looks like you have a very full plate between work and family, so kudos to you for taking the steps to get to a happier and healthier place. We'll be peeking at your logs to see how we can "help". (I will tell you I did my first sprint with 4 weeks of swimming...and I was/am a flopping fish)

2014-06-05 12:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

My recollection would be that Yanti's next scheduled IM would be Bussleton WA. If that is correct then that race isn't until Dec 7. Which would mean that according to the terms of the bet Yanti has until then to complete the RR right? So how then can Ann-Marie be required to buy you a beverage before then?
(I got your back girl )

2014-06-05 12:46 AM
in reply to: tigrrruns

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by tigrrruns

Hi!

I’d like to join this fun club if you’ll have me.

I tried this before, but it didn’t save. All for the best though, because this one I think sounds much better. (I’m a little bit of a perfectionist). This group sounds like a great idea, a community of accountability buddies. I’ve been “lurking” for a while, and have been getting more and more inspired, and I have actually picked a race that I want to do. I think I have opened up my training logs, but I’m not sure. If it doesn’t work, please let me know how to do this!

My Name: Emily, age 25

My Story: I’m a runner by trade. I caught the bug when we did the 12 minute run in high school and I rocked it. From there, I started running, training for a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon all before I was 19. I loved the high that it gave me, the feeling that I could do anything, AND the fact that it proved my dad wrong. I injured my knee (partially torn ACL) and just got burned out. I even went to volunteer at Ironman Lake Placid – money in my pocket to register –but then I looked at the bike course. (I am currently very afraid of my bike – falling off into oncoming traffic will do that to you.

Fast forward 4 years, I’m about 30 lbs heavier, out of shape, and not feeling comfortable in my own skin. Breast cancer also runs in my family among the younger people, and after a scare myself, an Aunt and a close friend being diagnosed with metastatic cancer and an Aunt being diagnosed with diabetes, I decided it was time to take control myself. I have a younger sister who needs a positive role model, AND if there were to be anything wrong, I’d like to know that I’m in the best shape possible to fight it.

I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). I have a road bike I bought years before (it’s a little big) and I’ve started swimming (although I look like a flopping fish in the water).

Family Situation: I am single, and live at home with my mom, sister, brother and step dad. I’m the oldest of six, and spend much time caring for my youngest sister (she’s wonderful. At 11, she’s the light of my life. Really, she could be my daughter). My mom deals with bipolar disorder and severe depression that is not well controlled by medication, so I spend a lot of time caring for her as well (and trying to inspire her to get moving) and taking over when we find her in the hospital for one of her episodes)

Current Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car)

Race Schedule:
I’d like to do the Subaru Triathlon Series in Orillia. It’s a sprint triathlon race. I’m not sure if 10 weeks is enough time to train for a Sprint Triathlon based on where I’m at now. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Also, my big goal right now is to do a push up. I'm SO close, but I am also running out of patience.

Body composition:
I’d like to lose about 30lbs, and 20% body fat. I’ve already lost about 13 lbs since I started this new fitness regime, however, I LOVE junk food so it's kind of a challenge. I've gotten much better with this though.

Looking forward to joining you on this journey!

Nice to have you in the group Emily. You have already done the hardest part - you have gotten started.

I did my first tri with about 6 weeks training. I could swim and ride a bike but I hadn't done either for years but I couldn't run more than about 100m without dying. So I swam slow and rode slow and walked, but I finished it and I felt great and got hooked.

You will be great but get on your bike sooner rather than later so that you can prove to yourself it isn't such a big deal. Pick a quiet time of the day which might be a little easier if you work nights and can go early in the afternoon before you start work and before all of the peak hour traffic. Just ride around your block nothing fancy just slow and steady until you get the feel of the handling. Don't worry about bike shoes or anything like that just use your runners and get started.
2014-06-05 2:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyK

My recollection would be that Yanti's next scheduled IM would be Bussleton WA. If that is correct then that race isn't until Dec 7. Which would mean that according to the terms of the bet Yanti has until then to complete the RR right? So how then can Ann-Marie be required to buy you a beverage before then? (I got your back girl )
That's what I'm talking about!!!!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.