BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Soooo, I made my final decision and will be racing the 10000m at USATF Club Nationals this Friday. It's going to be hard and I'm going to be DFL as it's taking some time to get my fitness back. But I figured that I can just show up and do my best, use it as a workout and that should be good enough. Or at least I hope so!

Oh yeah, it's also supposed to be 85 degrees and as a Seattleite and more important, a gal who doesn't run well it the heat I may as well be running through the gates of hell. Maybe they wont notice if I wear rollerblades...

Very cool, Salty - that is the way to get the training kick-started. I was actually beginning to get worried that there was something wrong with all those bike miles you were beginning to put in a while back..... ;^)

2014-07-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by spudone

I'm pretty bummed... my calf isn't healing up very fast.  It ached my entire bike ride on Sunday (which I cut short) and Canada is on the 27th this month.  I have a doc appt today - he'll probably want to make sure I don't have a clot going on - but in any case I suspect I'll be limited to swim-only for awhile.  Arg.

Mark - hope the doctor comes back with some positive news and you only have to lay up for a couple of days or can work through the discomfort.

2014-07-08 3:35 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by ChrisM

Decided you only live once, who knows what happens next year, so I'm going to Milwaukee.   I'm racing Bryan Dunn in my AG.  Or rather, chasing Bryan Dunn.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY?????? What am I, chopped liver????????? Bryan Dunn, phhhhhhhhhht. He is nothing but a washed-up crossfitter.

;^)

Seriously, that is great news, Chris - can't wait to see you there. How soon is reasonable to start the smack talk?

Sorry, haven't been on here much, and since this wasn't on my radar until I got the email, didn't follow the Nats discussions.  So now I get to chase Bryan AND Rusty.  Who else????

I am a participant.  I qualified by squeaking by in a sprint.  My best Oly time is 2:29, so I will be BOMOP probably.   But I don't care 

2014-07-08 3:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

I'm pretty bummed... my calf isn't healing up very fast.  It ached my entire bike ride on Sunday (which I cut short) and Canada is on the 27th this month.  I have a doc appt today - he'll probably want to make sure I don't have a clot going on - but in any case I suspect I'll be limited to swim-only for awhile.  Arg.

Mark - hope the doctor comes back with some positive news and you only have to lay up for a couple of days or can work through the discomfort.

Yes, Mark, hoping it's just a minor setback.  I assume they'll order an US to figure that out

Chris

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-08 3:36 PM
2014-07-08 4:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-08 4:56 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-07-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Decided you only live once, who knows what happens next year, so I'm going to Milwaukee.   I'm racing Bryan Dunn in my AG.  Or rather, chasing Bryan Dunn.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY?????? What am I, chopped liver????????? Bryan Dunn, phhhhhhhhhht. He is nothing but a washed-up crossfitter.

;^)

Seriously, that is great news, Chris - can't wait to see you there. How soon is reasonable to start the smack talk?

Sorry, haven't been on here much, and since this wasn't on my radar until I got the email, didn't follow the Nats discussions.  So now I get to chase Bryan AND Rusty.  Who else????

I am a participant.  I qualified by squeaking by in a sprint.  My best Oly time is 2:29, so I will be BOMOP probably.   But I don't care 

Had planned on going this year (even registered for both races), but the new job starts 8/1 with a cross country move in the days prior.  Not gonna happen.

Bummed for sure, as I am about the rest of my planned racing schedule evaporating.  Oh well - at least I'm still s/b/r training for fun!

Wish I could be there so your percentage placement would be that much better (with me buoying up the balance of the field from the BODFL position, given the complete lack of consistency in my training of late!).  

Can't wait to hear about this year's races - sounds like it'll be a blast!

Matt

2014-07-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

;^)

Had planned on going this year (even registered for both races), but the new job starts 8/1 with a cross country move in the days prior.  Not gonna happen.

Bummed for sure, as I am about the rest of my planned racing schedule evaporating.  Oh well - at least I'm still s/b/r training for fun!

Wish I could be there so your percentage placement would be that much better (with me buoying up the balance of the field from the BODFL position, given the complete lack of consistency in my training of late!).  

Can't wait to hear about this year's races - sounds like it'll be a blast!

Matt

Chris, Rusty might end up getting you, but I'd bet you're going to make him work for it until deep into the race!

I have a major ride planned for that Saturday across the state and will be just down the road watching another event on Sunday, so not likely to be there either day even though I'm the closest.

2014-07-08 6:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

And Downward Spiral sure is interesting when you push it more. Bunch of intervals, 2' or less each, 18' total work. Don't really want to think about what I *should* be doing this at.

2014-07-08 6:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D Finished the 4th ride in 4 days. Got stung by a huge bee that somehow flew into my helmet. He panicked and I couldn't get it off in time. Ouch. Last (evil) ride is tomorrow. I will survive.

Ouch is right! Any issues when you get stung? I can swell quite a bit and usually get a bit light-headed, but other family members will have immediate life threatening reactions.

2014-07-08 6:11 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Yes, Mark, hoping it's just a minor setback.  I assume they'll order an US to figure that out

Chris

Yeah, hoping that gets taken care of!

2014-07-08 6:18 PM
in reply to: brigby1

2014-07-08 6:21 PM

2014-07-08 8:59 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D

. Sorry. Get the Doppler ultrasound to be safe. Have you done any deep tissue massage?

Thanks everyone -- ultrasound checked out ok, no clotting.  I haven't done any massage or ART yet but I might try that now.

2014-07-08 9:03 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D Facebook and ST are sure talking about Gyde/Colom. Hey question? Conti GPS II tires with latex tubes. I weigh 158. What pressure would you suggest? I'm thinking 100 psi?

I'm about 155lbs; usually run about 100psi, maybe 105 if it's a very smooth surface.  That's with 23mm tires.

2014-07-08 11:32 PM

. Sorry. Get the Doppler ultrasound to be safe. Have you done any deep tissue massage?

Thanks everyone -- ultrasound checked out ok, no clotting.  I haven't done any massage or ART yet but I might try that now.

Great news. Now just taper into whistler. You won't lose much and you won't gain much either. It's all good. Enjoy that beautiful course

2014-07-09 2:40 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Facebook and ST are sure talking about Gyde/Colom. Hey question? Conti GPS II tires with latex tubes. I weigh 158. What pressure would you suggest? I'm thinking 100 psi?

I'm about 155lbs; usually run about 100psi, maybe 105 if it's a very smooth surface.  That's with 23mm tires.

I'm usually around 105 (165lbs) except with the FLO where they recommend a slightly lower pressure due to the wider rims.  I aim for 95 there.

2014-07-09 2:42 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Great news Mark!  Hopefully that can sort things out for you.

2014-07-09 6:35 AM

Little Harbour

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Fred D Finished the 4th ride in 4 days. Got stung by a huge bee that somehow flew into my helmet. He panicked and I couldn't get it off in time. Ouch. Last (evil) ride is tomorrow. I will survive.

Ouch is right! Any issues when you get stung? I can swell quite a bit and usually get a bit light-headed, but other family members will have immediate life threatening reactions.

swelling and pain. Huge bumblebee. Been stung by a lot of wasps this year, but this guy died very soon after the sting. Got me on the temple which hurt like heck, with a little nausea, but doing ok now. I still like the mantra, "it only hurts if you care" lol

On my ride the other day I was going down a hill and I saw a bumblebee and it looked like it was sitting there waiting for me..I just closed my eyes and waited for the sting but it never happened thank god I get the same way after a sting some localized swelling and nausea. Not sure about where everyone is from but this year I am finding the bumble's as aggressive as wasps this year.
2014-07-09 8:16 AM

Elite
Ontario

Ditto for me - I've dropped it to 95psi on courses that have a lot of rough sections.

2014-07-09 8:28 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

That is great news!  I've had good luck with ART....if you can find a good chiropractor who's sports oriented, I swear they can work miracles.

2014-07-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ditto for me - I've dropped it to 95psi on courses that have a lot of rough sections.

I think I may be running too high pressure....though since I got the disk cover on my rear wheel and have been having people help me inflate, three different people have asked if I go up to 120, so I was wondering if I was running too low since I tend to use 100.  Maybe I need to be in the 90 - 95 range??

2014-07-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Austin, Texas

After the advice I got here, 95 psi on rough (all my local) and 100 on smooth (still looking for those) roads.  160-163 pounds, GP4000s tubies or GatorSkin tubies (one set of wheels).

Was at 120-130 psi before and was like riding a jackhammer.  New pressure seems every bit as fast (faster? - or it's in my head, but who cares… feeling faster feels good), and WAY more comfortable.

Matt

2014-07-09 8:34 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have a sprint this weekend that has a really rough section - the rattle your teeth at high speed kind.  I may try dropping the pressure down 5-10 psi to see how that works.  

2014-07-09 8:47 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I run 100-105 on my GP4000 at 160-162 lbs.

Looks like another big weekend of racing this weekend for the group.  I am doing Grand Haven Olympic which includes the swim in Lake Michigan and a really long run to T1 (3/4 mile).  The Lake Michigan swim will be good prep for Steelhead.

Looking forward to it as the last 3 weeks have gone really well...in the tough, I need a nap sense. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38740 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74221 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.