BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by IronOx

I am no help on anything mechanical.  I'm just popping in to say hey.  Started my two month contract position this week, the same one had last May/June.  Working on a research project with radioiodine-treated hyperthyroid kitties.  Busy days but fun work.  Well except yesterday, when the college and the high school were on lockdown due to reports of a man with a weapon in the area.  I had gone out for a run--heard all the sirens and when I go back to work I am told that I can't go in, have to go back across the street.  Not knowing what is going on, I am freaking out about my two co-op students, pacing the street.  Thank goodness it ended quickly and sounds like it was a mistaken report.  No harm done, but holy stress!

Anyone who has some extra prayers, please send to the folks in Fort MacMurray, Alberta, the province to the east of me.  Terrible wildfires ravaging the area, one area of the town lost 80% of buildings; more than 90000 evacuated, some twice due to winds changing direction.  Many had to leave without the opportunity to grab basic necessities.  The video is absolutely unbelievable...like out of a movie, only it's real life.  I can't even imagine driving away from my home with huge flames on either side of the highway.  It's mindboggling.  If you have $5 not earmarked for anything, please consider a donation to the Red Cross.  Thanks.

Haven't really heard/seen much of the fire over this side of the pond. Sounds awful. As for the hyperactive thyroid, turns out my wife's thyroid Is playing up again. She had an overactive thyroid before, but it got better with medication. Unfortunately it's come back. She went to the hospital 2 days ago and now she has to decide when she goes back in 4 week whether or not she will choose the radioiodine treatment or to go under the knife to have part of it removed. I think she's bending towards the op'.

Darren, I just shared the For McMurray photos that I mentioned on FB.  I @mentioned you so you should see it.

2016-05-06 1:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8
TJ - NM Law Enforcement Memorial Ride on Saturday
Steve - Haggen to Haggen 5k  on Saturday
Karen - Vientam 70.3 on Sunday
Tom A - Coffman YMCA Sprint Tri  on Sunday

March 8 is Judi's birthday

Disabled List
Yanti - under the weather
Robin NC - metatarsal (the curse continues)

2016-05-06 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8

Disabled List

Nice to see the racer list is double the DL!

GO RACERS GO!

Keep healing DLers.

2016-05-06 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8

Disabled List

Go racers!

Heal DLers

Happy birthday Judi!!!!

2016-05-06 2:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

[

Happy birthday Judi!!!!

yes, happy birthday Judi!

2016-05-06 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8

Disabled List

Good luck Racers!
Nice to see the DL so small.
And the very happiest of birthdays to Judi!

2016-05-06 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8

Disabled List

Go RACERS! I assume that Judi's birthday is acutally MAY 8th. Have a happy, happy one.

2016-05-06 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8

Disabled List

Happy birthday for tomorrow Judi (if you were in Australia it would be an extra high day for you because it's Mothers Day here on Sunday).

Go Racers!
If you want to make the list longer I am "racing" tomorrow too. K and I are doing the Mothers Day Classic. It's 8km.

Get better Yanti and Robin.
I actually got a text from Yanti this week they were supposed to do Vietnam on Sunday but, knock me over with a feather, they have decided to skip it because they are both unwell. I may have said a "Hallelujah" or two when I read it (love you Yanti )

Edited by StaceyK 2016-05-06 5:42 PM
2016-05-06 6:27 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Okay....that answers my question. They are not here. Looked for them all over at the dinner last night. Have sent two PM's and not heard anything, so it must have been a last-minute decision. I knew Yanti had not been well and wasn't sure she would even start. Probably for the best to stay home if they are BOTH sick. Kind of a dull pre-race dinner last night. Except for the mostly Taiwanese crew at our local bike shop who have a stall at the expo, none of whom are actually doing the race, I don't know anybody here. Everyone seems to be traveling in families (expats) and large tri clubs (Asians). So just fed myself quickly and left.

On the plus side (I think), when I got to the airport yesterday, 2 hours early for what I thought was an 11:10 AM flight (and yes, I check online for delays/cancellations before I left), they told me my flight had just been cancelled and they were putting me on a flight that was boarding in 10 minutes. That was exciting! To their credit, VN Airlines managed to get my bike on board in time. (And no bike fee, as under 20 kg.)

Heading out to do a short bike/run, maybe swim. (The latter is still up in the air, it seems. They are waiting on a last round of water quality tests. Should be a final decision today.) At least this AM, the current is running very strongly south to north, which is opposite the direction the yuck should be coming from. On the plus side, probably cleaner water. On the minus (I guess) the bulk of the swim will be against a pretty strong current. I tend to do well on those, but it's going to be that "swim treadmill" feeling!
2016-05-06 8:11 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
My sister's children have decided that it isn't right that ladies that don't have kids don't get a special day so they have declared today (the day before Mother's Day) AUNTY'S DAY. So happy Aunty's Day to the pod
2016-05-06 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Okay....that answers my question. They are not here. Looked for them all over at the dinner last night. Have sent two PM's and not heard anything, so it must have been a last-minute decision. I knew Yanti had not been well and wasn't sure she would even start. Probably for the best to stay home if they are BOTH sick. Kind of a dull pre-race dinner last night. Except for the mostly Taiwanese crew at our local bike shop who have a stall at the expo, none of whom are actually doing the race, I don't know anybody here. Everyone seems to be traveling in families (expats) and large tri clubs (Asians). So just fed myself quickly and left.

On the plus side (I think), when I got to the airport yesterday, 2 hours early for what I thought was an 11:10 AM flight (and yes, I check online for delays/cancellations before I left), they told me my flight had just been cancelled and they were putting me on a flight that was boarding in 10 minutes. That was exciting! To their credit, VN Airlines managed to get my bike on board in time. (And no bike fee, as under 20 kg.)

Heading out to do a short bike/run, maybe swim. (The latter is still up in the air, it seems. They are waiting on a last round of water quality tests. Should be a final decision today.) At least this AM, the current is running very strongly south to north, which is opposite the direction the yuck should be coming from. On the plus side, probably cleaner water. On the minus (I guess) the bulk of the swim will be against a pretty strong current. I tend to do well on those, but it's going to be that "swim treadmill" feeling!
GOOD LUCK Karen, I hope the water quality improves.

2016-05-06 11:49 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
As far as I know, swim is on. Course markers are up and people were swimming this AM, and no word to the contrary. There were a few athletes complaining of itching and rashes after, but I have super-sensitive skin and had no issues, so not sure. There were some "sea lice" giving itchy little bites that some people (maybe not used to Asian ocean swimming) thought were jellyfish (believe me, people, you'd KNOW if a jellyfish got you) so hopefully it was just people who were sensitive to (or paranoid about) those.
2016-05-07 3:55 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

May 7-8

Disabled List

Good Luck Racers! Have great races!
2016-05-07 5:33 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Good luck racers. Karen, what's your race number?Happy birthday for tomorrow Judi.As some people that follow me on Instagram are aware, I'm nearing the end of my bike build, still a few things to tweak, but getting there. I had a delivery this morning that I've been waiting for weeks for. It's only a stem bolt/cap, but I think it'll add immeasurable value to the bike. What do you think? :D

(Stemcap up.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Stemcap up.PNG (149KB - 4 downloads)
2016-05-07 5:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Grrr, stupid phone won't upload photo. Wait out...

There you go.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-05-07 5:44 AM
2016-05-07 5:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
# is 1123. Don't stalk--it'll make me more nervous! Swim is on--the issue was confirmed as sea lice--larval jellyfish that are more of a minor nuisance than anything else. I got a couple stings today but nothing major. Just hoping the surf is a little calmer in the morning. It wasn't bad but by 8:30 had already picked up to where getting out past the break was a bit interesting.

2016-05-07 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just found out something that makes me feel better about last year's shyte-show of a run--I got to the briefing a bit early, so caught the last 20 minutes or so of an advice talk by Belinda Granger and Lance Watson. She said that last year, several pro's DNF'd the run, including Clayton Fettel (sp?) who made it exactly two kilometers before deciding--she claimed she was quoting him--that "it was not humanly possible to run 21 km in these conditions". I ran 21 km, starting more than an hour after him in hotter conditions, with the flu, no less. Not too classy--there was a lot of walking aid stations and dry heaves and occasionally picking up ice off the road and shoving it in my mouth, and bursting into irrational tears when I saw some guy being loaded into an ambulance about 800m from the finish, but I made it to the finish line in 105 degree temps (40 for Euros and Aussies).

So either I am NOT human, or I am mentally tougher than at least one pro dude. Hope I can be tough this year, but really hope it's not as epic as last!
2016-05-07 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just found out something that makes me feel better about last year's shyte-show of a run--I got to the briefing a bit early, so caught the last 20 minutes or so of an advice talk by Belinda Granger and Lance Watson. She said that last year, several pro's DNF'd the run, including Clayton Fettel (sp?) who made it exactly two kilometers before deciding--she claimed she was quoting him--that "it was not humanly possible to run 21 km in these conditions". I ran 21 km, starting more than an hour after him in hotter conditions, with the flu, no less. Not too classy--there was a lot of walking aid stations and dry heaves and occasionally picking up ice off the road and shoving it in my mouth, and bursting into irrational tears when I saw some guy being loaded into an ambulance about 800m from the finish, but I made it to the finish line in 105 degree temps (40 for Euros and Aussies). So either I am NOT human, or I am mentally tougher than at least one pro dude. Hope I can be tough this year, but really hope it's not as epic as last!
Super-Human!!!

I hope the only epic part is how great you do.

2016-05-07 7:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO TEEJ!!!
GO NANCYPOPS!!!
GO KAREN!!!
GO FOXAY!!!

2016-05-07 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Good luck racers. Karen, what's your race number?Happy birthday for tomorrow Judi.As some people that follow me on Instagram are aware, I'm nearing the end of my bike build, still a few things to tweak, but getting there. I had a delivery this morning that I've been waiting for weeks for. It's only a stem bolt/cap, but I think it'll add immeasurable value to the bike. What do you think? :D

Haha, perfect!! I think that makes the bike!!

2016-05-07 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just found out something that makes me feel better about last year's shyte-show of a run--I got to the briefing a bit early, so caught the last 20 minutes or so of an advice talk by Belinda Granger and Lance Watson. She said that last year, several pro's DNF'd the run, including Clayton Fettel (sp?) who made it exactly two kilometers before deciding--she claimed she was quoting him--that "it was not humanly possible to run 21 km in these conditions". I ran 21 km, starting more than an hour after him in hotter conditions, with the flu, no less. Not too classy--there was a lot of walking aid stations and dry heaves and occasionally picking up ice off the road and shoving it in my mouth, and bursting into irrational tears when I saw some guy being loaded into an ambulance about 800m from the finish, but I made it to the finish line in 105 degree temps (40 for Euros and Aussies). So either I am NOT human, or I am mentally tougher than at least one pro dude. Hope I can be tough this year, but really hope it's not as epic as last!

Yikes!  I certainly hope today's race is a ton better than last year's!!  Good luck!

2016-05-07 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Just found out something that makes me feel better about last year's shyte-show of a run--I got to the briefing a bit early, so caught the last 20 minutes or so of an advice talk by Belinda Granger and Lance Watson. She said that last year, several pro's DNF'd the run, including Clayton Fettel (sp?) who made it exactly two kilometers before deciding--she claimed she was quoting him--that "it was not humanly possible to run 21 km in these conditions". I ran 21 km, starting more than an hour after him in hotter conditions, with the flu, no less. Not too classy--there was a lot of walking aid stations and dry heaves and occasionally picking up ice off the road and shoving it in my mouth, and bursting into irrational tears when I saw some guy being loaded into an ambulance about 800m from the finish, but I made it to the finish line in 105 degree temps (40 for Euros and Aussies).

So either I am NOT human, or I am mentally tougher than at least one pro dude. Hope I can be tough this year, but really hope it's not as epic as last!
GOOD LUCK KAREN

Ihope this years conditions are kinder than last years were
2016-05-07 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDI
2016-05-08 1:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
DONE!!!! Just wanted to let everyone know I survived the race. 5:31:52 on my watch. No idea how I placed. We were racked by age group in transition and there were't any bikes near me when I got back, but didn't really count to see if anyone was back yet out of the 14. One woman who might have been in my AG passed me on the run--not sure as numbers were a bit mixed up. She was running really fast and it was early on--seemed too suicidal. I don't know if I passed her back or not later. I beat one of the "All World Athletes that I know by 25+ minutes, no idea about the others. Awards in a few hours so will see. My AG was very stacked this year so not sure what my chances for podium are--probably zilch.

I think I paced really well and pretty much emptied the tank. The swim was really challenging--very high waves and hard to see where I was going, just kind of followed people. I could not see the first buoy until about 10 feet away. Drafted someone who had an "All World Athlete" cap as I figure maybe they knew what they were doing. Reminded me of swimming off the North Shore in Hawaii when I was in grad school. After a while, it was so ridiculously rolling it was kind of fun. There were also issues with jellyfish--got stung several times just warming up. The officials had said they were baby jellies but somehow in less than five minutes of warmup I managed to encounter the mother (father?) who stung me all over the face, arms, and legs with tentacles. First race I have ended up in the med tent BEFORE the start. (Deactivation with vinegar spray.) I ended up walking out through about the first minute and a half of the shallow part as I was afraid of getting stung in the mouth--the jellies were concentrated near shore. (Yes, that horrid. Got stung again on the way in and exited the water with stings all over my face!) Apparently the ones that stung me on the swim were baby jellies so not too painful after about 20 minutes.

More later!
2016-05-08 4:51 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner DONE!!!! Just wanted to let everyone know I survived the race. 5:31:52 on my watch. No idea how I placed. We were racked by age group in transition and there were't any bikes near me when I got back, but didn't really count to see if anyone was back yet out of the 14. One woman who might have been in my AG passed me on the run--not sure as numbers were a bit mixed up. She was running really fast and it was early on--seemed too suicidal. I don't know if I passed her back or not later. I beat one of the "All World Athletes that I know by 25+ minutes, no idea about the others. Awards in a few hours so will see. My AG was very stacked this year so not sure what my chances for podium are--probably zilch. I think I paced really well and pretty much emptied the tank. The swim was really challenging--very high waves and hard to see where I was going, just kind of followed people. I could not see the first buoy until about 10 feet away. Drafted someone who had an "All World Athlete" cap as I figure maybe they knew what they were doing. Reminded me of swimming off the North Shore in Hawaii when I was in grad school. After a while, it was so ridiculously rolling it was kind of fun. There were also issues with jellyfish--got stung several times just warming up. The officials had said they were baby jellies but somehow in less than five minutes of warmup I managed to encounter the mother (father?) who stung me all over the face, arms, and legs with tentacles. First race I have ended up in the med tent BEFORE the start. (Deactivation with vinegar spray.) I ended up walking out through about the first minute and a half of the shallow part as I was afraid of getting stung in the mouth--the jellies were concentrated near shore. (Yes, that horrid. Got stung again on the way in and exited the water with stings all over my face!) Apparently the ones that stung me on the swim were baby jellies so not too painful after about 20 minutes. More later!

YOU WON THE WHOLE DAMN THING, Lady!!!!

Way to go beating the jellies and the FOUR AWAs.

Would have looooved to see you but every issue this year was pointing to NO ... and I have the world's worst reaction to jellies so I would have spent the rest of our holiday there miserable and looking like a red version of the Swamp Thing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.