Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-07-24 9:17 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Forgive the intrusion, long time, no see, but I'm after some advice and I can't think where else to ask.

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get back in to regular, consistent exercise, but I keep getting injured. I think it's mostly to do with me doing too much, too soon, too fast for my current physique and fitness level ??

On tgat note, recently I decided to try easing in using HR to dictate pace and reign in my ego. But even doing this I'm still picking up injuries.

I've always suffered with various lower body injuries in the past (shin splints, tendinitis, it band etc)but have managed to work through it. Unfortunately, age seems to be playing a part with how long I'm raking to get over these injuries.

My current injury appears to be, from my google search of symptoms, plantar fasciitus. I'm getting inflammation in my heal which is hard to walk with when waking up/long times of immobility. This eases a bit after stretching foot/achiles/calf. I can also feel a sharp burning sensation when stretching the bottom of the foot, life scar tissue tearing.

I've recently switched from no drop running shoes (altra) due to struggling getting back in to running using them, didn't have an issue with them before, but now my calves are in pain when I use them ( it's been a few years since regular running). I'm now using nike pagasus zoom air. All my research suggests using cushioned, arch supported shoes to help with P F prevention. I thought these had this.

Has anyone had any personal experience with PF? How long did it take to get over it? Am I OK to cycle with PF?

Thanks for your help

Darren.

HI!! Welcome back!

I was plagued with constant injuries until I found a great PT who is also now my "personal trainer." All those issues you mention likely stem from some imbalance (although zero drop shoes did not help) and until you get into a regular strength routine aimed specifically at correcting those issues you may continue to have issues, in my opinion. Physically I feel better now at 50 than I did at 40. Of course I'm slower

Stick around for a bit!

2023-07-24 10:45 AM

User image

Forgive the intrusion, long time, no see, but I'm after some advice and I can't think where else to ask.

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get back in to regular, consistent exercise, but I keep getting injured. I think it's mostly to do with me doing too much, too soon, too fast for my current physique and fitness level ??

On tgat note, recently I decided to try easing in using HR to dictate pace and reign in my ego. But even doing this I'm still picking up injuries.

I've always suffered with various lower body injuries in the past (shin splints, tendinitis, it band etc)but have managed to work through it. Unfortunately, age seems to be playing a part with how long I'm raking to get over these injuries.

My current injury appears to be, from my google search of symptoms, plantar fasciitus. I'm getting inflammation in my heal which is hard to walk with when waking up/long times of immobility. This eases a bit after stretching foot/achiles/calf. I can also feel a sharp burning sensation when stretching the bottom of the foot, life scar tissue tearing.

I've recently switched from no drop running shoes (altra) due to struggling getting back in to running using them, didn't have an issue with them before, but now my calves are in pain when I use them ( it's been a few years since regular running). I'm now using nike pagasus zoom air. All my research suggests using cushioned, arch supported shoes to help with P F prevention. I thought these had this.

Has anyone had any personal experience with PF? How long did it take to get over it? Am I OK to cycle with PF?

Thanks for your help

Darren.

Hi Darren!

I did a Sprint on Saturday and on the run I felt every rock on the course through my shoe because I was attacked by PF as well. After I'm done typing this, I'm going to a running store to buy new shoes because I need new shoes and the current ones are killing me (Saucony Triumph 20).

My husband fought PF every year at the beginning of the school year because he goes from wearing running shoes to other shoes. Finally, last year he went to a physical therapist who recommended Hoka Bondi because the have the cushioning and support for PF. He hasn't had an issue since and is running again.

I unfortunately can't wear Hokas anymore because the drop is too small. Due to reduced range of motion from my ankle surgery, I know have arthritis in me knee and I've been told to run only in a drop of 8 or higher. I still use Hoka to walk in and my PF feels a lot better when I have them on. When I put my Triumphs on though, it's like having a tooth ache and biting on something and the tooth nerve shoots you a nasty little message.

DH's PT told him that PF can be from a chain reaction of things. If your hips get tight, your calves get tight and so do your lats. The tight calves can lead to PF and the tight lats can lead to "tennis elbow." I'm trying to loosen my hip so the chain reaction gets broken.

For a bit of relief, freeze a few golf balls and then roll them under your arch and heels. Some people use frozen water bottles or tennis balls, but the golf balls are smaller so they get in the arch better. The freezing helps bring down the inflammation.
2023-07-24 10:05 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nothing to do with PF (you DON'T want to hear about my experience with it, nor my general approach to injuries). Just proof of life! I did Oregon 70.3 yesterday. Haven't posted much as we took a road trip to Canada and then have been busy with training, some summer projects at home, and tutoring a friend who needs to pass a test. Just kind of spaced it (posting, not the race....well, not any more than usual). Things always happen when I race. But at least I am in one piece (Andreas the bike lost a few pieces, but not me) and the race went okay. Just did the report. Enjoy!
2023-07-25 6:01 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I want to hear all about Oregon 70.3! How was it? I saw all the race times...looks like a fast race!

Are you getting ready for Finland?
2023-07-25 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Nothing to do with PF (you DON'T want to hear about my experience with it, nor my general approach to injuries). Just proof of life! I did Oregon 70.3 yesterday. Haven't posted much as we took a road trip to Canada and then have been busy with training, some summer projects at home, and tutoring a friend who needs to pass a test. Just kind of spaced it (posting, not the race....well, not any more than usual). Things always happen when I race. But at least I am in one piece (Andreas the bike lost a few pieces, but not me) and the race went okay. Just did the report. Enjoy!

Good to hear from you - heading to read race report now!

2023-07-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Originally posted by canadarn2001

I want to hear all about Oregon 70.3! How was it? I saw all the race times...looks like a fast race!

Randee and I both did Oregon last year. It is by far my favorite race I've ever done! The swim is a river swim and super fast. IM advertises the bike course as flat. I thought it was pretty flat with only a few slight climbs. However, others feel it's more rolling and hilly. The run is shaded. I only did the swim and bike last year as a part of a relay. The runner said to him it was a flat course, but others say it's not.

I would do this race very year if I could!

2023-07-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

Randee and I both did Oregon last year. It is by far my favorite race I've ever done! The swim is a river swim and super fast. IM advertises the bike course as flat. I thought it was pretty flat with only a few slight climbs. However, others feel it's more rolling and hilly. The run is shaded. I only did the swim and bike last year as a part of a relay. The runner said to him it was a flat course, but others say it's not.

I would do this race very year if I could!

We're likely to go again next year

The run wasn't "hilly" as these things go but there were a few short steep inclines in the park - I remember slowing to a walk :D

2023-07-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The Oregon 70.3 bike course is not "flat". It's out and back. The first and last 9 miles or so have a bunch of rolling hills, some quite steep, as well as some tight curves. However, none of the climbs are that long (mostly 30-60 seconds to climb). This section is more sheltered from the wind, so there's that. Very typical of our Oregon roads that follow rivers like the Willamette. The middle miles are almost entirely flat (jn the valley). On the minus side, there tends to be some crosswinds. But because it's flat, it's pretty easy to stay aero.

I don't recall ANY inclines of note on this year's run. When I did the race in 2021 (I skipped it in 2022 to do Calgary), there were two short, rather steep inclines on the run--one was heading away from the park into town, the other coming down from the road through town to a dirt/gravel road which connected to the bike trails in the nature preserve. The latter had poor footing and most people walked. On the way back one would have gone up the dirt path to the road, up the other side of the hill in town, and down the same in the final mile of the race. The part before and after the nature preserve was out in direct sunlight and very hot. There was also a longer section on dirt and gravel (the connecting road). That part has been eliminated, because instead of starting out by going through part of town, you stay in the park, crossing the iconic bridge directly into the nature preserve. One can run the whole thing on the paved bike trails; in many areas, it's also possible to run on dirt/grass or wood chip paths just parallel to them. Definitely an improvement!

Manatee meetup next year??
2023-07-26 9:45 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

In.
2023-07-26 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
2023-07-26 7:45 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks for your help

Darren.

Hi Darren,

Yes I suffered with it for years. Primarily Achilles tendonitis, which if very similar. I did a lot to control/heal it. I would sleep with a foot brace. I iced, I rolled and I stretched every day.

Turns out it was gout. I had a major flare up last year and the doctor diagnosed it as gout. I first tried to control it with changing my diet and indomethicin. The doc eventually put me on a medication to reduce my uric acid, and the problem was solved.

I do train using the Maffeton method. Basically keeping my HR below 180-age and since I've running for more that 3 years +5. I have fewer injuries with this. It feels painfully slow at first, but it works.
Good luck.

2023-07-27 5:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by Hot Runner

In.

I was thinking the exact same thing!!
2023-07-27 6:31 AM
in reply to: #5286224

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Cheers all, thanks for the advice.

Being a truck driver, I'm in a sitting position for long periods of my work day, so maybe I should introduce some stretching of the hips.

I won't bother going to tge doctor over this as, with the current government he'll bent on destroying the NHS so it can sell it off to some American big pharma, its impossible to get a realistic dr appointment, time wise. By the time I'd get one for a non emergency I would have been rested for 6-8 months. Tge price we pay for free health care, works for tge big stuff, not so much for tge little stuff. To that end, I'll probably keep resting it for another few weeks and start back in 5 weeks after my holiday I have in 3 weeks time and just keep on stretching it. I'll probably start back on the bike and see how I go and introduce z2 jog/walk slowly on my days in between the bike.

As for the shoes, I wonder if it's that fancy carbon fibre plate in these new Nike that is exacerbating it. As I said, I haven't had this before. But I do know I can't jump back into using the Altras yet, as my calves are on fire after a short time, never a problem before. I can't wear horas, the toe box is too narrow, I get blisters in all the other shoes I've tried other than nike and altras.

Sound like a plan?
2023-07-27 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Cheers all, thanks for the advice. Being a truck driver, I'm in a sitting position for long periods of my work day, so maybe I should introduce some stretching of the hips. I won't bother going to tge doctor over this as, with the current government he'll bent on destroying the NHS so it can sell it off to some American big pharma, its impossible to get a realistic dr appointment, time wise. By the time I'd get one for a non emergency I would have been rested for 6-8 months. Tge price we pay for free health care, works for tge big stuff, not so much for tge little stuff. To that end, I'll probably keep resting it for another few weeks and start back in 5 weeks after my holiday I have in 3 weeks time and just keep on stretching it. I'll probably start back on the bike and see how I go and introduce z2 jog/walk slowly on my days in between the bike. As for the shoes, I wonder if it's that fancy carbon fibre plate in these new Nike that is exacerbating it. As I said, I haven't had this before. But I do know I can't jump back into using the Altras yet, as my calves are on fire after a short time, never a problem before. I can't wear horas, the toe box is too narrow, I get blisters in all the other shoes I've tried other than nike and altras. Sound like a plan?

I'd ditch the carbon fiber shoes! As i read your post I thought I remembered reading something about PF and carbon fiber shoes, so a quick search came up with this :  Some experts believe that the shoes’ extreme energy return could overtax the tendons and ligaments in the midfoot, or lead to plantar fasciitis or bone stress injuries.

As far as the attempt to destroy your NHS - I will keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen!  You do not want us running your medical system! You may get a faster appointment but you may also go bankrupt paying for it!

2023-07-27 9:50 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
According to research my coach shared, the carbon fiber shoes are really only recommended for races and some limited speedwork for most athletes, and may not be appropriate at all for some depending on their biomechanics. They change run mechanics in a number of ways that will put different stresses on the body than conventional shoes--probably not a good idea or, if you do use them, something to work in gradually and in a limited amount. For most of us, the speed gains would not be worth the injury risk. May be different for pro/elite runner and triathlete types.

I had miserable bouts with PF as a HS and college athlete and periodic flare-ups (usually related to a shoe change) in subsequent years. What I've found to be helpful (besides trying to keep calves and the rest of my body reasonably flexible) is avoiding speedwork on hard surfaces (and, if PF is bad, avoiding speedwork altogether). If you can do faster running on smooth trails or grass as opposed to a track or road, that is really helpful. Also, pay attention not only to having supportive, cushioned running shoes but everyday shoes. That can be a challenge, especially for women. There may be dress codes, or at least an expectation that shoes need to look "professional" with a suit or dress, but they also shouldn't be killing your feet!

2023-07-27 3:06 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Hot Runner Manatee meetup next year??
In.
I was thinking the exact same thing!!

I was in Oregon the week before IM 70.3 last summer in route to visit the Redwoods.  A guy in my running group was doing his first 70.3 and 2nd triathlon there with a bunch of his college friends (they did IM Maine 70.3 this year).  I might have done it with him is it was a Saturday event.  When I saw the swim time of my running friend I though they had shortened the swim course.  He cut his swim time in half.  That is the type of race I would like to do since swimming is my slowed leg of the the triathlon. 

I will be a heck of a lot closer to Oregon in 2024.  I am moving again but am sticking to Saturday event.  This time I am moving to Wyoming.  I have moved more the past few years than military families does.  I have been looking at all the Saturday events in Utah and Colorado and am excited about all the good options I will have less than 5 hours from me.  I don't know how Triathlon Training will be where I am at though.  I looks like Nordic Skiing, Trail Running, and mountain biking are about all that is common in the area. 

2023-07-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Cypress, Texas

I also suffer from PF.  I had a bad ankle sprain about 20 years ago and I couldn't make it 1 mile after that with out the PF flaring up.  So after a few months I gave up on running.  I didn't come back for over two years.  When I did the PF mostly gone.  I know get it when I am about 6-8 miles into a run.  After that I just have to relax my foot as much as possible ant try to run with out training a single muscle below my knee. Ironically I don't get the PF when I am running in my Alphafly's  the tall stack height and bouncy cushioning alleviates the PF pain.    

2023-07-27 8:13 PM

User image

Expert

Cheers all, thanks for the advice.

Being a truck driver, I'm in a sitting position for long periods of my work day, so maybe I should introduce some stretching of the hips.

I won't bother going to tge doctor over this as, with the current government he'll bent on destroying the NHS so it can sell it off to some American big pharma, its impossible to get a realistic dr appointment, time wise. By the time I'd get one for a non emergency I would have been rested for 6-8 months. Tge price we pay for free health care, works for tge big stuff, not so much for tge little stuff. To that end, I'll probably keep resting it for another few weeks and start back in 5 weeks after my holiday I have in 3 weeks time and just keep on stretching it. I'll probably start back on the bike and see how I go and introduce z2 jog/walk slowly on my days in between the bike.

As for the shoes, I wonder if it's that fancy carbon fibre plate in these new Nike that is exacerbating it. As I said, I haven't had this before. But I do know I can't jump back into using the Altras yet, as my calves are on fire after a short time, never a problem before. I can't wear horas, the toe box is too narrow, I get blisters in all the other shoes I've tried other than nike and altras.

Sound like a plan?

I have a daughter who is in her third year of med school to be a podiatrist. When she took her sports medicine class, they gave the top 5 shoes for runners. #1 was Hoka, The have the best cushioning and heal and arch support.
2023-07-31 11:29 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Forgive the intrusion, long time, no see, but I'm after some advice and I can't think where else to ask. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get back in to regular, consistent exercise, but I keep getting injured. I think it's mostly to do with me doing too much, too soon, too fast for my current physique and fitness level ?? On tgat note, recently I decided to try easing in using HR to dictate pace and reign in my ego. But even doing this I'm still picking up injuries. I've always suffered with various lower body injuries in the past (shin splints, tendinitis, it band etc)but have managed to work through it. Unfortunately, age seems to be playing a part with how long I'm raking to get over these injuries. My current injury appears to be, from my google search of symptoms, plantar fasciitus. I'm getting inflammation in my heal which is hard to walk with when waking up/long times of immobility. This eases a bit after stretching foot/achiles/calf. I can also feel a sharp burning sensation when stretching the bottom of the foot, life scar tissue tearing. I've recently switched from no drop running shoes (altra) due to struggling getting back in to running using them, didn't have an issue with them before, but now my calves are in pain when I use them ( it's been a few years since regular running). I'm now using nike pagasus zoom air. All my research suggests using cushioned, arch supported shoes to help with P F prevention. I thought these had this. Has anyone had any personal experience with PF? How long did it take to get over it? Am I OK to cycle with PF? Thanks for your help Darren.

Darren, good to see you here!  Once a manatee, always a manatee.

I'm currently battling PF and finally went to the doctor about it and have just started PT.  I ignored it for entirely too long and now it will be harder to fix, but it can be fixed with time.  Because of my procrastination, I've moved past the inflammation stage and am now in the tissue-restructuring phase, which the body does to help compensate for not being able to move like it wants to and is supposed to. This is not what you want to happen!

He gave me some stretches to do 2x/day and I'll be having PT 2x/week during which I know he's going to incorporate some Graston technique.  He also mentioned that my knees and hips seem weaker than they had been (he saw me years before for Achillies tendonitis in the same foot), so he's going to focus on strengthening those parts as well.  He even thinks that them being weaker may have helped bring on the PF, making the foot work harder to compensate.

And there is some merit to his findings: I've gained about 20 lbs from where I typically was when I was training and racing regularly, plus the training and racing regularly fell off drastically, which would lend to less strong joints and muscles.  I've generally been moving less.

In a nutshell, do what you can to get your PF happy: wear shoes with a decent (not flat or low) drop, do stretches and exercises to keep the PF flexible, take anti-inflammatories to help reduce inflammation.  I truly wish a speedy recovery for you, it is not a pleasant injury to deal with!

2023-08-02 9:52 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

All this Oregon 70.3 talk has me thinking...

2023-08-03 2:22 AM
in reply to: #5286276

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Thanks all, I'm going to lay off using the zooms and carry on stretching. Will look at doing some strength exercises too and stick to the bike for a bit.

On another note, this popped up on my google pics feed today from 7 years ago.

2023-08-03 2:23 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
This

(20160803_070015.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160803_070015.jpg (655KB - 12 downloads)
2023-08-03 4:45 AM
in reply to: #5286355

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Okay.

I'm gonna give logging here for accountability a go again, if that's okay with you.

Current plans are to train for The Japanese Odyssey Bike Race in October next year and to shift 2-2 1/2 stone(28-35lbs) in the process. Depending on how this PF pans out, I'd like to run a half Mary in spring next year.
Usual crap, no time to train, long irregular night Time shift work incondusive to training holding me back.

Gonna ease back into it with 3x trainerroad.com workouts a week to start.
2023-08-04 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Hey. Long time, no post for me. Things are still odd in my life lately, but (furiously knocking on wood) they seem to be evening out. The NC cycle ride is in town this weekend. All Inam doung is volunteering at rest stops Saturday and Sunday. It is fun to see all the bike riders in town.
2023-08-04 1:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr This

Doooo eeettt!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33