BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-02-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Challenge Update
oh man ...James and I are vying for last place.
Tally lo this week...eleven points this week.

Anyone tried the .....i forget name of it....A shoe...Torin ....starts with an "A" ..zero drop..huge toe box...looks kinna like the old "earth shoe" from the 70's.

Really enjoying swimming....actually for first time in my life.
dropped the aerobic w/o focus and just working on stroke efficiency and consistency.
I quit counting laps and I don't follow a w/o. some days.
Not so with my running....my strong point.

I hope all the aerobic conditioning I get from my running will carry me thru for next month or so while I fiddle with swimming and new bike pedals.

I just LOVE cross training !!!!!!

This afternoon I am going with the boys to their practice run for tomorrows mountain bike race for the high school league.
Threw away my road bike ride and will trail run while the kids check out the course that a couple hour drive from out house. Its never the wrong time to get a run in.

I promise not to talk about weather in Austin, Texas

2014-02-08 1:43 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by dustytrails  Anyone tried the .....i forget name of it....A shoe...Torin ....starts with an "A" ..zero drop..huge toe box...looks kinna like the old "earth shoe" from the 70's.  I promise not to talk about weather in Austin, Texas

Altra shoes? I tried them on. They are great for wide feet BUT, I have a narrow heel and they rode up on my heel. I loved the way they felt in the toe box, though.

PTthththth on your good weather

2014-02-08 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

You guys are making me very jealous. It's seven degrees here this morning. I don't even like running outside in weather like this. The good news--I've got a quick industry meeting in Las Vegas starting Sunday so I'm heading down tomorrow. I'll get in my morning weekend ride on my indoor trainer (2.5 hours) and then head for the airport. But my Sunday morning long run should be outdoors in 50 degree+ temps. Ahhhhh.

Steve

Steve,

If it's any consolation, it was 42 and raining when I ran this morning so I had to wear my tights to stay warm! 

Heat wave, Scott. We hit 19 this morning. Break out the tanning butter!
2014-02-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Subject: altra
altra shoe....funny i thought the heel was narrow on first impression. will try running in them. My foot is wide all around. I like the feel of arch support.

Ran the mountain bike trail backwards ..bikes coming toward me so forced to go slow..and look ahead. was nice run.
2014-02-08 6:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-02-09 6:30 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wt= 5 points no gain

workouts= 26.6 points

----------------------------

2014-02-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Champion
Bronze member

8 workout

5 no wt gain

13 for the week. Pitiful, but then, I was sick a lot of the week. Next week will be better. (fingers crossed).

2014-02-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Expert
Falls Church
Weight - 2 lbs lost for 20 points.No gain - 5 points795 minutes workout - 26.5 pointsTotal - 51.5 points.Finally.
2014-02-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Dogpaddle 2014-02-09 11:15 AM
2014-02-09 3:12 PM

1.5lb lost =15pts
no gain= 5pts
5.5 hrs exercise = 11pt
total 31pts

2014-02-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: Kris67

Regular
Newport News
3lb gain (I could say I beefed-up for the swim meet) = -30pt
5.5 hrs exercise = 11pt
Net loss of 19pt

But doing the 1650 yard swim in 28:42.04 priceless

2014-02-09 5:50 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

Expert
Missouri

1# lost - 10pts
no gain - 5pts
147 minutes workout - 4.9pts
total of 19.9 pts for the week

Skipped a couple of workouts this week.  I think the winter weather is just wearing me down - I don't have much motivation to do anything but curl up under a blanket and try to stay warm.  And another blast of arctic air is coming through tonight.  Temps are supposed to make it back into the 40's by next weekend though - hopefully that actually happens. 

I did get out in the cold yesterday morning to do a race.  A new bridge opened over the Mississippi River - the Stan Musial Veteran's Memorial Bridge - and there was a 6k run and several other events yesterday to celebrate.  I enjoyed the run (even with the cold temps) and did a lot better than I expected to so I'm pretty happy with the result. 

Janet

2014-02-09 9:22 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

New user
Hingham, MA
5 pts no weight gain. 6 points workout pts = total for the week 11

Didn't get the number of workouts that I wanted this week with taking the moring after the superbowl off and we had a big storm shut down everything on Wednesday. This week is not looking any better with work getting in the way.

Why did I have to born charming and good looking instead of rich and famous - just kidding. An old friend of mine that looked just like Woody Allan used say that all the time, too funny!

Have a good week everyone I'll post the grid tomorrow night.

2014-02-10 4:27 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Recovery week this week - 368 minutes workout - 12.3 points

No weight gain - 5 points

Total - 17.3 points

2014-02-10 7:28 AM

Farmington, Connecticut
Reduced workout minutes this week, since we went away to New Hampshire to do some snowshoeing this weekend.
Beautiful winter scenery and lots of snow. Fairly cold, though. Temps were in the single digits to mid teens all weekend.

Only got the truck stuck in the snow once, by making a wrong turn down a "road" that was really a snowmobile trail.

Back to the numbers, my weekly tally is:

weight stayed the same = 5 pts
242 workout minutes = 8.2pts

Total for the week = 13.2pts
2014-02-10 7:31 AM

Expert
Falls Church

Good morning everyone.  Looks to be a cold week here in N. Virginia.  Will have to bundle up each time I go outside.  Bummer.  I am ready for spring and warmer weather that's for sure.

Replaced the brakes on my commuter bike this weekend.  Didn't realize how worn they were until I took the rear ones off.  Oh my...no wonder my stopping power was failing.  The replacement took longer than it should have.  I always seem to put them on wrong the first time.

I am having some issues with my left ankle/heel area lately.  It's stiff when I wake up and after sitting for long periods of time.  Can't really do front lunges w/o it hurting.  I am hoping it is nothing more than a mild strain.  It's an ankle I broke a few years ago so there's always the worry that I injured it again.  Today is a planned run and I'll see how it feels.

Scott - bummer on your scale.  Hope the new one works out.

2014-02-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 lb weight loss for the week = 10 + 5 point bonus = 15
330 min training = 11
Total = 26 points

An okay week... fell a little short on my training goals and am feeling pretty tired heading into the week after this weekend's festivities. Forecast of a major storm headed our way on Wed. Need to get my head in the right place :-)

Some good numbers posted this week. Nice swim time, Tsvi!

Scott, don't let the scale distract you. You're doing all (well, mostly anyway) the right things. Stay on track. Focus on the big goal.

Cheers,
Stu

2014-02-10 11:49 AM

Regular
I am having some issues with my left ankle/heel area lately.  It's stiff when I wake up and after sitting for long periods of time.  Can't really do front lunges w/o it hurting.  I am hoping it is nothing more than a mild strain.  It's an ankle I broke a few years ago so there's always the worry that I injured it again.  Today is a planned run and I'll see how it feels.

iS THIS TENDINITIS ?

Edited by dustytrails 2014-02-10 12:02 PM
2014-02-11 7:55 AM
in reply to: dustytrails

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by dustytrails I am having some issues with my left ankle/heel area lately.  It's stiff when I wake up and after sitting for long periods of time.  Can't really do front lunges w/o it hurting.  I am hoping it is nothing more than a mild strain.  It's an ankle I broke a few years ago so there's always the worry that I injured it again.  Today is a planned run and I'll see how it feels.

iS THIS TENDINITIS ?

Not sure.  Might be something to do w/ my achilles.  I did twist in an awkward way last week and the flareup started that same day.  It will hurt when I flex my foot (toes pointed up) after having my feet in a neutral or toes down position for a time.  Last time I wore the boot I used for a PF injury a few years back.  That helped quite a bit.  So today I am wearing an neoprene ankle sleeve and trying to remember to keep foot flexed.  Probably should not have worn my boots w/ 2" heel though.  

I do think that some of my foot issues stem from wearing heels (not big ones) in the spring/fall/winter - less so in the summer.  So I forsee a time when I have to wear flats only.

2014-02-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by hoffsquared

iS THIS TENDINITIS ?

Not sure.  Might be something to do w/ my achilles.  I did twist in an awkward way last week and the flareup started that same day.  It will hurt when I flex my foot (toes pointed up) after having my feet in a neutral or toes down position for a time.  Last time I wore the boot I used for a PF injury a few years back.  That helped quite a bit.  So today I am wearing an neoprene ankle sleeve and trying to remember to keep foot flexed.  Probably should not have worn my boots w/ 2" heel though.  

I do think that some of my foot issues stem from wearing heels (not big ones) in the spring/fall/winter - less so in the summer.  So I forsee a time when I have to wear flats only.

If you compare your left and right ankles, can you see a difference? Is there a spot that feels swollen or painful when you run your fingers down the tendon? If you are suffering tendonitis, a stretching regimen may provide some relief after the inflammation is reduced.

I suffered tendonitis in my left foot during 2012 . I went to a foot doctor and to PT. The doctor determined that it wasn't a bone issue. I then went to a PT and received massage and ultrasound treatments which relieved the pain. The PT prescribed a regimen of stretching work that I continue to do daily. I also got fitted for orthodics and wear them every time I run.

Hope you are able to resolve it before the outdoor season gets into full swing.
2014-02-11 6:36 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Nice job Melanie, great week!

Scott - I took care of those points - that STINKS.

The Queen still reigns.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-02-12 6:38 PM

(GGG 2-11-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 2-11-2014.jpg (161KB - 3 downloads)

2014-02-11 7:42 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
James--

Sorry I'm late on the report this week....business travel

For the week:

Weight, up 1/2 lb. to 164.5 = -5 (damn that Vegas trip)
Workout 10 hours for +20

Total = +15

Steve
2014-02-12 10:22 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Connecticut
Subject: RE: Good News/Not so good news
Hello to all.

Happy to report that I had my knee surgery on the 3rd and all went well. I took the week off and did literally NOTHING! I got completly bored by day 3 and dreaded not being able to get in any type of exercise. Had post surgery follow-up yesterday with the ortho and he is very happy with the progression. Also started PT and am beginning the slow steps forward. The good news is that the PT said it would be ok to do some light pedaling on the stationary bike and can be back in the pool in about 4-5 days (once the incisions are completly healed). Overall, I am very happy with where I'm at 9 days post surgery.

The bad news is that my other knee had been bothering me and after discussing with the Ortho prior to procedure, he suggested that it might just be due to over compensating for the bad knee. I was hoping he was right but in my gut I knew it was probably more than that. I talked to the PT about it and after a few bends, pokes & prods-she said it is certainly the symptoms of another meniscus problem. I know 1st things 1st and that is to get my repaired knee back to health and then take things as they come, but it bums me out knowing already that there maybe another set back in the very near future.

I am going to focus on the positive!!

Hope everyone is doing well

Dave
2014-02-12 6:45 PM
in reply to: lutzman

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

James--

Sorry I'm late on the report this week....business travel

For the week:

Weight, up 1/2 lb. to 164.5 = -5 (damn that Vegas trip)
Workout 10 hours for +20

Total = +15

Steve

All fixed bossman, I updated the grid for you. I would take the only half pound gained after a Vegas trip as a real positive, nice job fitting in the 10 hours!

2014-02-12 6:56 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

Okay are you sure you "kids" belong in the "Gray" group. I am in awe of the workout minutes... dedication!

0.8 lbs lost = 8 pts

no gain = 5 pts

300 mins = 10 pts

Total = 23 pts

[/QUOTE

Hey I have =been meaning to comment about DogPaddle's Underdog avatar. Did anyone hear the commercial during the olympics with the Undedog theme song "Speed of Lightning - Roar of Thunder"? What a catchy rhythm - very cool. I was having flashbacks of my youth. My kids loved it and have been singing and humming it all week. Try link , too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bdpyamRS4c

James

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18754 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.