BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-07 12:38 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

I want to hug Smoky, he's so dear and seems to have lots of moxie.  I hope his health continues to improve and you get some sleep so you aren't putting kitty formula in your coffee!

2015-01-07 12:50 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by laffinrock

Random funny for the day from cakewrecks.com:

Yanti, maybe Smoky could help out here?

I'd eat 'em ... I had my coffee with baby formula today ... neeeed sleeep ... anyone else read Farley Mowat's Never Cry Wolf, the mouse recipe?

Speaking of Smoky ...

He's looking great!!  Cleaning himself and playing is a great sign!!

In re: "Never Cry Wolf," if you start peeing around your house to mark your territory, it's time to call in reinforcements to take case of Smoky.   (Loved that movie, btw.  Gorgeous scenery and music, awful wrenching ending.)

2015-01-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I'm not sure who among us doesn't think about this.  There are crosses and "white bikes" (a shrine bike painted white - the equivalent of a cross - where a cyclist was killed) every few miles around here, it seems. 

Honestly, it makes cycling less appealing and tri somewhat harder.  I keep getting buzzed (recently about 2 feet away whilst going a bit over 40 - long downhill - by a car that crossed over the white line well into the shoulder to show me who's boss... they were going about 70).

Makes you think...

Matt

Matt, you may want to sign up: http://closecalldatabase.com/

I'm not convinced that it will do any good or not, but at least someone is making an effort. After reading the reasons behind it, I made sure to sign up. I do believe that the biggest difference we make in life comes from the small things we do for one another.  If I can be a better member of the cycling community and look out for my fellow cyclists, then maybe I can make a difference and help someone when they have that kind of need.

that's really cool! I'm signing up!

Janyne finds some of the coolest stuff!

2015-01-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Chatham Ontario
brrr noooo running outside for me today or yesterday.

I sucked it up and ran on a treadmill yesterday. It is coooooold as heck today. And windy. I hate to say it but winter is officially here in Canada and I am officially stuck in doors. I have had a solid week of being back at it. Eating well and working out. Sort of checking in as I am launching a new robot cell the next two days and will be off the face of the earth both days.

Long days and hoping I can get some work outs in at end of day.
2015-01-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Techdiver brrr noooo running outside for me today or yesterday. I sucked it up and ran on a treadmill yesterday. It is coooooold as heck today. And windy. I hate to say it but winter is officially here in Canada and I am officially stuck in doors. I have had a solid week of being back at it. Eating well and working out. Sort of checking in as I am launching a new robot cell the next two days and will be off the face of the earth both days. Long days and hoping I can get some work outs in at end of day.

Just curious.  What is a robot cell?

2015-01-07 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Techdiver brrr noooo running outside for me today or yesterday. I sucked it up and ran on a treadmill yesterday. It is coooooold as heck today. And windy. I hate to say it but winter is officially here in Canada and I am officially stuck in doors. I have had a solid week of being back at it. Eating well and working out. Sort of checking in as I am launching a new robot cell the next two days and will be off the face of the earth both days. Long days and hoping I can get some work outs in at end of day.

Sorry Engineering geek.

robot cell - it is a machine I am installing on one of the ends of our press line. It will pick the parts up transfer it to a dial table/automation and place steel gaskets on top and bottom and then weld the gaskets to the part. The part will then go onto a V6 turbo charged engine.

Installed all the automation before Christmas and made computers and stuff talk to each other. Now it is time to run it and debug it and make it run 1 part every 7.5 seconds.

Edited by Techdiver 2015-01-07 2:36 PM

2015-01-07 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by StaceyK 3 more cyclists injured in Car v Bike incidents here on Monday. One of them was deliberately run over after an altercation with a driver at a set of traffic lights. Thankfully no major injuries and the driver has been charged with a number of offenses including causing grievous bodily harm. Further charges may be laid depending on the investigation. From the what cyclist said in the paper he did help to inflame the situation but still. Please be careful out there people you may be in the right but it doesn't make you any less hurt or dead.

This makes my chest seize up and I feel apopleptic.

Kingsley won't ride at all on the road anymore (other than the fact that he CAN'T SEE!) because of how agro Perth drivers have gotten.

He's very nearly banned me from riding on the road too, but I think I'm there myself already

As I spend more time on my bike, this is one thing I'm afraid of.  My fiance worries about it all the time too.  Usually I try to ride in groups if I ride outside.  Fortunately during the winter I spend a lot of time on the trainer or on the MTB trails.

I often find that riding in groups makes it worse as many of my friends want to socialize, ride 2-3 abrest, and then there's the endless line of cyclists that cars need to pass that tick motorists off.

Living in a city that hosts a half Iron distance race doesn't make life any easier. I stayed off the Augusta half Ironman course all of last year and rode my bike as far away from that area simply because the natives are NOT happy with us.

Unfortunately, we're not a bike friendly area. We have a total of two bike baths...one is 7 miles in length and the other is 5.

Edited by glfprncs 2015-01-07 3:19 PM
2015-01-07 3:20 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Techdiver
Originally posted by popsracer

Sorry Engineering geek. robot cell - it is a machine I am installing on one of the ends of our press line. It will pick the parts up transfer it to a dial table/automation and place steel gaskets on top and bottom and then weld the gaskets to the part. The part will then go onto a V6 turbo charged engine. Installed all the automation before Christmas and made computers and stuff talk to each other. Now it is time to run it and debug it and make it run 1 part every 7.5 seconds.

And here I thought you were thinking about cyborgs.

Good job on the better eating and working out despite being stuck indoors.  Keep up the good work!!  Hope the launch goes well and you don't end up launching the thing out the window.

2015-01-07 3:48 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by StaceyK 3 more cyclists injured in Car v Bike incidents here on Monday. One of them was deliberately run over after an altercation with a driver at a set of traffic lights. Thankfully no major injuries and the driver has been charged with a number of offenses including causing grievous bodily harm. Further charges may be laid depending on the investigation. From the what cyclist said in the paper he did help to inflame the situation but still. Please be careful out there people you may be in the right but it doesn't make you any less hurt or dead.

This makes my chest seize up and I feel apopleptic.

Kingsley won't ride at all on the road anymore (other than the fact that he CAN'T SEE!) because of how agro Perth drivers have gotten.

He's very nearly banned me from riding on the road too, but I think I'm there myself already

As I spend more time on my bike, this is one thing I'm afraid of.  My fiance worries about it all the time too.  Usually I try to ride in groups if I ride outside.  Fortunately during the winter I spend a lot of time on the trainer or on the MTB trails.

I often find that riding in groups makes it worse as many of my friends want to socialize, ride 2-3 abrest, and then there's the endless line of cyclists that cars need to pass that tick motorists off. Living in a city that hosts a half Iron distance race doesn't make life any easier. I stayed off the Augusta half Ironman course all of last year and rode my bike as far away from that area simply because the natives are NOT happy with us. Unfortunately, we're not a bike friendly area. We have a total of two bike baths...one is 7 miles in length and the other is 5.

The group I ride with are a bunch of guys that road race and/or ride every ride like it's a race, so it's usually a fun filled hammerfest where socializing can and will result in getting dropped.  It's the kind of ride that IM training plans say to avoid like the plague, but man oh man are they fun!  Our area is relatively car friendly, but strength in numbers definitely helps.

2015-01-07 4:41 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

The group I ride with are a bunch of guys that road race and/or ride every ride like it's a race, so it's usually a fun filled hammerfest where socializing can and will result in getting dropped.  It's the kind of ride that IM training plans say to avoid like the plague, but man oh man are they fun!  Our area is relatively car friendly, but strength in numbers definitely helps.

The bike shop has had a couple of those rides that ended up in the ditch in fisticuffs. It wasn't a pretty sight.
2015-01-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I am having a mega difficult time getting my 310XT to sync with Garmin Express.  Anyone having any similar issues?

2015-01-07 5:38 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I am having a mega difficult time getting my 310XT to sync with Garmin Express.  Anyone having any similar issues?

Not recently, but I did back in Sept.  I ultimately had to do a hard reset.  Since then, it's been working fine.

2015-01-07 5:54 PM

User image

Managed to swim 250 meters today!  Decided to swim more and work on technique (I suck!) instead of walking for 20 minutes so the last 100 meters or so was slow and I stopped a lot to reset myself.  It's slowly coming together.

Speaking of cyclist getting hit by cars I had a side mirror slammed into my shoulder one day a few years back despite being in a bike lane!  I am not quite sure how I didn't wreck but it sure scare the crap out of me!  Shoulder was sore for a few days afterwards.  I have also had someone open their door right as I am riding by and managed to squeak by without harm, thank god for good reflexes!...

2015-01-07 6:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Not recently, but I did back in Sept.  I ultimately had to do a hard reset.  Since then, it's been working fine.

From their site:

Status at 7:00:46 PM ESTLIMITED

Users are experiencing issues with Garmin Connect. Our team is actively investigating the issue. Please check back soon for further status updates about Garmin Connect.

We are working to correct the MyFitnessPal sync issues. Once it is restored, we will update this status page and sync your account up to the current day.

We thank you for your continued patience.

For more info visit: www.garmin.com/support

2015-01-07 6:05 PM

User image

Denver, CO

From their site:

Users are experiencing issues with Garmin Connect. Our team is actively investigating the issue. Please check back soon for further status updates about Garmin Connect.

We are working to correct the MyFitnessPal sync issues. Once it is restored, we will update this status page and sync your account up to the current day.

That's what I found when I was having problems too, except it didn't specifically refer to MyFitnessPal.  I waited 3 weeks for it to fix itself, tried a soft reset, uninstalled the program from my computer, then just did a hard reset because I was tired of having to enter my info manually on BT. 

2015-01-07 6:07 PM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Havok

Managed to swim 250 meters today!  Decided to swim more and work on technique (I suck!) instead of walking for 20 minutes so the last 100 meters or so was slow and I stopped a lot to reset myself.  It's slowly coming together.

Good job, Michael!!  Before you know it, you'll be knocking out the laps like nobody's business.

2015-01-07 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

From their site:

I couldn't sync my Edge 500 Sunday or Monday.  It started working again yesterday.

2015-01-07 8:11 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
My garmin hung up trying to upload and I had to wait for the battery to run down. Haven't tried to re-sinc
2015-01-07 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Speaking of cyclist getting hit by cars I had a side mirror slammed into my shoulder one day a few years back despite being in a bike lane!  I am not quite sure how I didn't wreck but it sure scare the crap out of me!  Shoulder was sore for a few days afterwards.  I have also had someone open their door right as I am riding by and managed to squeak by without harm, thank god for good reflexes!...

Awesome!  Keep at it.  

Matt

2015-01-07 9:03 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

From their site:

I couldn't sync my Edge 500 Sunday or Monday.  It started working again yesterday.

I've had this happen a couple times over the past few months. On the 810 for sure. Can't remember of the 210 did it too. Been able to load directly onto each site though. Don't think any duplicated later on. May not have checked closely enough.

2015-01-07 9:48 PM

User image

Master

Dangit, man! You're almost pushing me back into the pool!

Keep at it. You'll be so proud of yourself

2015-01-07 10:37 PM

User image

I'd eat 'em ... I had my coffee with baby formula today ... neeeed sleeep ... anyone else read Farley Mowat's Never Cry Wolf, the mouse recipe?

Speaking of Smoky ...

I had a kitty that I had to feed by dropper because he was too young to be taken from his mommy. His name was Fortissimo because everything he did was very loud. Did you know cats could have corneal transplants? Me neither until Fortissimo had two. I had to put him to sleep a few years ago a week after he turned 23. He had been my boss for half my life.

Smoky is going to have an amazing life with his new family!
2015-01-07 10:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

How many races is TOO many races?  I'm considering a six-race Oly series (of which I'll prob do five), as well as three or four Wednesday night short course races during the same time period.  I really love racing.

I'd say the A race, if any would be the last Oly.

(My spring A race is on the wedding day of a friend of mine.  She's getting married at 2 pm, the race is 4.5 hours away in Lansing, and I'm not sure of the start time.  Not sure if I can make it back in time.  That's a bummer, because I really like that sprint, and was hoping to improve on a top 10% finish last year.)

What are the downsides to a schedule like this, or does the ability to race a ton override that?

Tom,

I recently read and article about racing a lot and I finally found it last night.  Unfortunately, the article is online in html-type format.  You can access it here:

http://issuu.com/acatrineilucian/docs/runners_world_-_february_2015__usa/44 - Speed into Shape on page 46

And also, I really like the shoe charm on page 15.

Oh!  I found it on etsy!

shoe charm

Ohhhhh! Thanks  I already looked and have ideas. The only problem is how many do I order for him? Seems wrong to only "charm" one pair.

2015-01-07 11:08 PM

User image

Master

Speaking of Smoky ...

He's a cute little devil.  Glad he's getting back to his kitty self. Just sing "Soft kitty, warm kitty. Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty. Purr, purr, purr." to him before bed...he'll be better in no time.

2015-01-07 11:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by Techdiver

I saw that Spanky requested to join the Super Secret Order of the Manatee on Strava.  Then I noticed our, umm, saying.  "Fachmie, it's Whopper time!"  Perhaps we should explain?

Chris B, don't we have a document about that?

Yanti, since you aren't sleeping anyway, would you care to tackle that one?

ruh roh what have I gotten myself into? I hope it has nothing to do with eating whoppers. That is like the ex-lax of the fast food industry. I was just reading all this jack daniels running thing. And here I had hoped it was "Complete a run, do a shot of burbon." But I guess I am wrong on that.

Beer Mile

Milk Mile

Bourbon Mile

Why not?

Consecutively? Like a 5k?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55396 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.