BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-02-13 4:54 AM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Good News/Not so good news

Originally posted by trytritryguy

Hello to all.

Happy to report that I had my knee surgery on the 3rd and all went well. I took the week off and did literally NOTHING! I got completly bored by day 3 and dreaded not being able to get in any type of exercise. Had post surgery follow-up yesterday with the ortho and he is very happy with the progression. Also started PT and am beginning the slow steps forward. The good news is that the PT said it would be ok to do some light pedaling on the stationary bike and can be back in the pool in about 4-5 days (once the incisions are completly healed). Overall, I am very happy with where I'm at 9 days post surgery.

The bad news is that my other knee had been bothering me and after discussing with the Ortho prior to procedure, he suggested that it might just be due to over compensating for the bad knee. I was hoping he was right but in my gut I knew it was probably more than that. I talked to the PT about it and after a few bends, pokes & prods-she said it is certainly the symptoms of another meniscus problem. I know 1st things 1st and that is to get my repaired knee back to health and then take things as they come, but it bums me out knowing already that there maybe another set back in the very near future.

I am going to focus on the positive!!

Hope everyone is doing well

Dave

Hi Dave,

Starting back at the end of September 2012 through the middle of last year I had one medical thing after another.  From emergency gall bladder surgery to a blood clot in my leg.  It just seemed like every time I turned around, there was something else going on.  I remember after the surgery, the doctors told me I couldn't workout for at least 6 weeks (actually it turned into 8 weeks), although I could walk as far as my body would allow, which they assured me would not be very far.  They were right of course and back then, after nine days in the hospital, simply walking a quarter mile was a supreme effort.  My point is, we get better.  My advice is to follow the doctors orders to the letter.  It will be slow, it will be frustrating and there will be times when you will be tempted to take matters into your own hands and speed up the recovery time table.  Trust me, it will be even more frustrating to suffer a setback that could have been avoided - that from someone who thought he knew better and repeatedly pushed the limits of the doctors orders.  I paid the price with a longer recovery time.

Take it one step at a time and remember, it is always darkest just before the dawn.  We get better!  A few months from now, you will look back on this and think, "That really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!"

Good luck and get well!

2014-02-13 4:59 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Challenge Update

Originally posted by DJP_19
Originally posted by hoffsquared iS THIS TENDINITIS ?

Not sure.  Might be something to do w/ my achilles.  I did twist in an awkward way last week and the flareup started that same day.  It will hurt when I flex my foot (toes pointed up) after having my feet in a neutral or toes down position for a time.  Last time I wore the boot I used for a PF injury a few years back.  That helped quite a bit.  So today I am wearing an neoprene ankle sleeve and trying to remember to keep foot flexed.  Probably should not have worn my boots w/ 2" heel though.  

I do think that some of my foot issues stem from wearing heels (not big ones) in the spring/fall/winter - less so in the summer.  So I forsee a time when I have to wear flats only.

If you compare your left and right ankles, can you see a difference? Is there a spot that feels swollen or painful when you run your fingers down the tendon? If you are suffering tendonitis, a stretching regimen may provide some relief after the inflammation is reduced. I suffered tendonitis in my left foot during 2012 . I went to a foot doctor and to PT. The doctor determined that it wasn't a bone issue. I then went to a PT and received massage and ultrasound treatments which relieved the pain. The PT prescribed a regimen of stretching work that I continue to do daily. I also got fitted for orthodics and wear them every time I run. Hope you are able to resolve it before the outdoor season gets into full swing.

The issue area is getting better.  I think due to no running since Monday.  Not sore yesterday except when I woke up, same thing this morning.  We'll see.

2014-02-13 5:02 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good morning everyone.  Looks like the night brought somewhere between 6-9" of snow our way.  No outdoor running or biking for quite a few days.  Today probably only some strength training and time on the bike trainer.  

Dave - I hope you have a speedy knee recovery and that your other knee doesn't give you too many problems until you are ready to have it taken care of.

2014-02-13 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Howdy everyone!

Dave, glad to hear surgery went well, but bummed for you about the other knee. One day at a time... and the PT will get you there.

Well, we've got over a foot of snow out there this morning and it is still coming down hard. I have a massive head cold that has had me horizontal with chills and body aches the last two nights. All in all, I'm thinking pretty good timing on the snow storm / cold combo as I certainly wasn't going to do much last night or today anyway. On the other hand, the thought of going out to shovel right now sends me right back to the couch.

Buy Kleenex stock...

Today's fun in Virginia headed toward the Northeast - be safe out there you Greys in the NE!

Stu

2014-02-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by juneapple Howdy everyone! Dave, glad to hear surgery went well, but bummed for you about the other knee. One day at a time... and the PT will get you there. Well, we've got over a foot of snow out there this morning and it is still coming down hard. I have a massive head cold that has had me horizontal with chills and body aches the last two nights. All in all, I'm thinking pretty good timing on the snow storm / cold combo as I certainly wasn't going to do much last night or today anyway. On the other hand, the thought of going out to shovel right now sends me right back to the couch. Buy Kleenex stock... Today's fun in Virginia headed toward the Northeast - be safe out there you Greys in the NE! Stu

I feel your pain! I came down with a cold early last week and am just now feeling better. I still have traces of it. Hopefully yours is out of here before the required 7 days.

2014-02-13 1:43 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Dave,

Glad your surgery went well. Fingers crossed that the other issue doesn't slow you down too much. One day at a time.

BTW, I think you picked a good time for a training break, since the weather has made it kind of tough to get much done outside.

My big workout plan for tonight will consist of assembling the roof rake and pulling snow off the roof. What fun.

Dave

2014-02-13 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am going to focus on the positive!! Hope everyone is doing well Dave

That is the attitude, Dave! One foot in front of the other.

2014-02-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I will be away for the next week.  Will post my updates when I get back.  Not a fun trip.  My mother has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and in the same breath told it's likely terminal.

2014-02-14 7:24 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by QueenZipp

I will be away for the next week.  Will post my updates when I get back.  Not a fun trip.  My mother has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and in the same breath told it's likely terminal.

I am so sorry, Judi.

2014-02-14 8:50 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut

Very sorry to hear that, Judi. Will keep a good thought for your family.
2014-02-14 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Very sorry to hear this news, Judi. Hopefully you'll have a little time to get out for an easy run to help your peace of mind.

2014-02-14 11:45 AM

User image

Connecticut

Judi- My prayers are with you, your Mom and your family.

I just lost my Step Dad on Wed. evening. He passed peacefully in Hospice after a tough battle with alzheimers. I share a heavy heart with you.

God bless--

Dave
2014-02-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by DJP_19 Dave, Glad your surgery went well. Fingers crossed that the other issue doesn't slow you down too much. One day at a time. BTW, I think you picked a good time for a training break, since the weather has made it kind of tough to get much done outside. My big workout plan for tonight will consist of assembling the roof rake and pulling snow off the roof. What fun. Dave

Roof rake?  Never heard of that.  I will have to look and see what they are.

2014-02-14 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Thinking of you QueenZip!

2014-02-14 1:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-02-14 7:15 PM

New user
Hingham, MA

Sorry to hear this Judi. A good friend of mine just got diagnosed with it too. I have been so impressed with his courage. Only 62, too young. I am so sorry to hear your news. Thoughts & Prayers sent.

2014-02-15 5:38 AM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

So sorry Judi.

2014-02-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Expert
Missouri

Judi - so sorry to hear about your mom.

Dave - my condolences on the loss of your stepdad.

2014-02-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: 0

Farmington, Connecticut
Hi James,

Here are my numbers for this week:

Weight loss of - 1.6 lbs = 16 pts
No weight gain bonus = 5 pts
Workout time of 348 min = 11pts

Total = 32 pts for this week.

Looking forward to the upcoming week. Our weather forecast is for three days in a row with temps in the high 40's! That will be a welcome change.
I also signed up for an indoor Tri event at my local Y next Sunday morning. Its a 550yd swim, 10mile spin and 2.2 treadmill run. It'll be fun.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Edited by DJP_19 2014-02-16 11:01 AM
2014-02-16 11:19 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: The weekend
Here's my not so joyous weekend story....

Went out to dinner with my wife to celebrate Valentines Day on Friday. I just didn't feel right the entire dinner. Got up at 4:45 on Saturday morning to prep for my weekend long run. Truly felt like crap, but decided it was just fatigue that I could run out.

The run was truly a . Felt totally fatigued the entire run. Sucked it up and did my one hour post run weekly weight workout. Came home for breakfast to get rested for an afternoon swim. By now I was totally out of it....so I checked my temperature and discovered I was pushing a 101 degree fever. And spent the rest of Saturday in bed with nasty chills and body aches.

Feeling better today (able to eat at least), but the 2 hour bike ride and following brick run are probably not going to happen. Bleh.

Hope your training weekend is going better!

No worries I guess. I'll rally next week.

Steve

2014-02-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Subject: RE: challenge update
Worst week ever in training and dieting. Started with a family reunion we traveled to and from-too much eating. Then Monday flew to Indiana for grandmother's funeral. Wednesday, when I had planned to workout, a 1 mile treadmill run was very difficult, as I was sick. Flew home that night, spend thursday and friday in bed. Started to feel half of myself but had to work saturday. Today was the first day I was able to run and feel ok.
So, 30min exercise and 6 pound weight gain (i hope it is mostly water) means I'm negative in the points. Better luck this next week

2014-02-16 3:55 PM
in reply to: Kris67

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: challenge update

Lost 1.9 pounds - 19 points

No gain bonus - 5 points

Workout - 341.2 minutes - 11.4 points

Total - 35.4 points

Had a problem with a client in the mid-west so I had to travel last week.  I won't book a hotel room unless there is an LA Fitness within running distance and indeed I was only two miles down the road from an LA Fitness - it might as well have been 1,000 miles with the weather as bad as it was.  That left the hotel amenities.  I am not so sure you can really call a hotel gym a gym (hence my desire to be close to an LA Fitness). No elliptical, treadmill was broken, a recumbent bike - yeah cardio was out.  Oh, and the pool, I mean, REALLY? Oh well, client problem is resolved, training hours sucked, and I am back in Southern California where it is 76 degrees - in the balance, it's all good.

2014-02-16 3:58 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: The weekend

Originally posted by lutzman 

. . . so I checked my temperature and discovered I was pushing a 101 degree fever. And spent the rest of Saturday in bed with nasty chills and body aches.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Even Superman had a bad day now and again.  Hope you feel better.

2014-02-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: 0

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

Our weather forecast is for three days in a row with temps in the high 40's! That will be a welcome change. I also signed up for an indoor Tri event at my local Y next Sunday morning. Its a 550yd swim, 10mile spin and 2.2 treadmill run.

When we still lived in Indiana, 40 degrees meant throw open the windows, put on the shorts and tank top and have a BBQ!

The indoor tri sounds like a good time.  Hope you had fun.

Edited by k9car363 2014-02-16 6:37 PM
2014-02-16 8:23 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18756 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.