BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Ok Facebook is killing me. Stop posting stuff about the tour! Can't wait to catch it tonight!

So did everyone watch it yet???  Epic stage...that's all I'll say for now.

2014-07-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by axteraa

Anyone have any ideas of what would cause a brake squeal noise?  I put my FLO wheel on for my ride tonight to make sure everything was working ok and whenever I apply heavy braking on the front, it gives off a loud squealing noise that is somewhat concerning.  It doesn't seem to affect the stopping power but it doesn't sound good.

Any suggestions of what it might be?

most likely culprit is the brake yaw angle or "toe-in" is not adjusted properly. The front edge of the pad should touch the rim slightly before the rear.

Yeah...either that or maybe the brake pad has slid down and is slightly rubbing the fairing and not just the brake track.  I've had it happen to me before...simply readjusting the pads solved the problem.  

I've found the easiest way to adjust them is to slightly loosen the bolt, then squeeze the brakes.  Adjust the pads so they are resting on the brake track flush then tighten down the bolt 70%.  Release the brake, then use one hand to hold the brake pad in place and tighten down the last 30%.  Sometimes the brake pad will twist a little as you tighten it down fully.

2014-07-10 1:35 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California
Originally posted by Jason N

Anyone have any ideas of what would cause a brake squeal noise?  I put my FLO wheel on for my ride tonight to make sure everything was working ok and whenever I apply heavy braking on the front, it gives off a loud squealing noise that is somewhat concerning.  It doesn't seem to affect the stopping power but it doesn't sound good.

most likely culprit is the brake yaw angle or "toe-in" is not adjusted properly. The front edge of the pad should touch the rim slightly before the rear.

Yeah...either that or maybe the brake pad has slid down and is slightly rubbing the fairing and not just the brake track.  I've had it happen to me before...simply readjusting the pads solved the problem.  

I've found the easiest way to adjust them is to slightly loosen the bolt, then squeeze the brakes.  Adjust the pads so they are resting on the brake track flush then tighten down the bolt 70%.  Release the brake, then use one hand to hold the brake pad in place and tighten down the last 30%.  Sometimes the brake pad will twist a little as you tighten it down fully.

Also clean the entire brake track with cotton balls and rubbing alcohol.
2014-07-10 1:36 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Thanks.  I did check to make sure it was aligned with the brake track and not the fairing so I think I'm good there.  I'm going to take it out after work today and check what you and Rusty suggested.  I'll give your procedure a shot and see if it helps.

2014-07-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Fred D Ok Facebook is killing me. Stop posting stuff about the tour! Can't wait to catch it tonight!

So did everyone watch it yet???  Epic stage...that's all I'll say for now.

It sure had a boat load of drama.  I say we hold off at least one more day before discussing.  I don't want to spoil it for anyone that has that on DVR and was busy yesterday.  It was one of those stages that you have to watch unfold for yourself.

2014-07-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Adjust the break pads with some Toe In.  The front of the pad should contact the rim first.  

There are other cause like a build up of pad on the rim.   For that clean the rim and pad surface.

2014-07-10 2:07 PM

User image

Did my second ever track workout this morning.   Couple weeks ago I did my first one, with 5 x 400M repeats.  That was hard, but it was OK.  Today did 4 x 800M repeats.  Oh my....

I tend to play games during some harder workouts in order to get through. In hard swim sets, I usually calculate in my head where I am and what I have left, if we're doing 5 x 200s, at the 100 mark of the 3d 200 "I'm halfway there."   Seems to work in swimming. 

FTP tests, I can safely say at 10:01,  "less than that to go!"

That doesn't seem to work so well for me on the track.  I kept starting to think at the first 200, "Ok, 1/4 of the way there."  Or I'd try "OK, only 4 straights and 4 curves, only 2 straights left."  But that seemed to just make it harder.  My form started to suffer, i slowed the pace a bit.  I found I had to focus on exactly where I was and on every step and to concentrate on the pace I was holding.  The more I thought about the future, the harder it got (well, except for the last turn)..  

This just me?   I was thinking maybe because I dont have that track background or a huge running base to confidently rely on.

I was happy though as I hit all the intervals given to me.  And then shuffled my way home.

2014-07-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Ever have a workout that was fast without effort?

My swim this am was 3x500 on 8:00 1st 500 was a warm up second was @6:40 and the 3rd was blazing for me @6:24.  

That was right after my run too....

I did double check the times on the wall clock and my 910xt .  I was really amazed were the speed came from.  Too bad I can't run......

btw thats a yard pool

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-07-10 2:13 PM
2014-07-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by ChrisM

Did my second ever track workout this morning.   Couple weeks ago I did my first one, with 5 x 400M repeats.  That was hard, but it was OK.  Today did 4 x 800M repeats.  Oh my....

I tend to play games during some harder workouts in order to get through. In hard swim sets, I usually calculate in my head where I am and what I have left, if we're doing 5 x 200s, at the 100 mark of the 3d 200 "I'm halfway there."   Seems to work in swimming. 

That doesn't seem to work so well for me on the track.  I kept starting to think at the first 200, "Ok, 1/4 of the way there."  Or I'd try "OK, only 4 straights and 4 curves, only 2 straights left."  But that seemed to just make it harder.  My form started to suffer, i slowed the pace a bit.  I found I had to focus on exactly where I was and on every step and to concentrate on the pace I was holding.  The more I thought about the future, the harder it got (well, except for the last turn)..  

This just me?   I was thinking maybe because I dont have that track background or a huge running base to confidently rely on.

I was happy though as I hit all the intervals given to me.  And then shuffled my way home.

Just keep slugging away at  intervals you'll get there....

Hey you have made some great gains in the run this year....

2014-07-10 2:14 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri

My swim this am was 3x500 on 8:00 1st 500 was a warm up second was @6:40 and the 3rd was blazing for me @6:24.  

I did double check the times on the wall clock and my 910xt .  I was really amazed were the speed came from.  Too bad I can't run......

Get those too. A lot of fun during that workout, but can go crazy over the next few because I can't replicate it!

2014-07-10 2:17 PM

User image

Seattle

800s are tough. Well shoot, 400s are tough too. Every time I do a workout involving a different distance of interval I have an incredible appreciation for competitors at that distance. 

All the 800s runners I know actually say a positive split is pretty much the standard (granted we are talking a second.) You go all out that first lap then hang on in the second. So, you are right on track  

But honestly, I don't really do what you do but I know what you are saying. When things get hard rather than focusing on the future, or the pace, focus on maintaining that form because ultimately as hard as it 'seems' it's going to make you run for efficiently.

2014-07-10 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Thanks.  I did check to make sure it was aligned with the brake track and not the fairing so I think I'm good there.  I'm going to take it out after work today and check what you and Rusty suggested.  I'll give your procedure a shot and see if it helps.

Ok so somebody already answered. Now I feel silly for not reading further....

2014-07-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

800s are tough. Well shoot, 400s are tough too. Every time I do a workout involving a different distance of interval I have an incredible appreciation for competitors at that distance. 

All the 800s runners I know actually say a positive split is pretty much the standard (granted we are talking a second.) You go all out that first lap then hang on in the second. So, you are right on track  

But honestly, I don't really do what you do but I know what you are saying. When things get hard rather than focusing on the future, or the pace, focus on maintaining that form because ultimately as hard as it 'seems' it's going to make you run for efficiently.

I am actually reading a book right now called Running the Rift (highly recommended, fictionalized account of a Rwandan runner trying to make the Olympics during the genocide years, so it's pretty heavy).  It descibes him runnnig his 800 repeats in 1:49.  I didn't think about what that actually meant until I realized he was running his 800s on my 400 time, LOL

2014-07-10 4:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Chris - Adrienne will have a better idea if this is really true, but I remember a while back reading an article about different athletic events, and how some of them wee interesting because they are designed around what hum as are spec'd out to do, while others are just the opposite. I can't remember all of the examples, but I do recall that the 800 was specifically talked about quite a bit as an example of the latter. According to that article there are natural 400 runners and natural milers, but the 800 existed in this boundary area where there is a lot of physiological crossover that occurs. As such you evidently  get quarter milers moving up and milers moving down to become 800 runners, and it is extremely difficult for both, and lends itself to very divergent strategies for running the distance. For me 800s are simply awful, but 1200s are DREADFUL. I also kinda feel the same way about the 15k distance - extremely difficult to race well for me.

At any rate, as others have said they will get (slightly) better as you learn how to pace them out through practice. In the meantime I might suggest that next time you have to run them and the going gets a little rough you actually think FURTHER out in to the future, say to Sunday August 9th at approximately 11:39am CDT. Imagine the PURELY HYPOTHETICAL situation of hearing a friend's footsteps coming up behind you right at the four-miles-into-a-10k mark and asking, "Hey Chris, how you feeling?" 

800s are not only hard, take them seriously and do them right and they will make YOU hard on race day.

2014-07-10 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Ok so somebody already answered. Now I feel silly for not reading further....

No worries, it reinforces the fact that it is almost certainly the culprit.

2014-07-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chris - Adrienne will have a better idea if this is really true, but I remember a while back reading an article about different athletic events, and how some of them wee interesting because they are designed around what hum as are spec'd out to do, while others are just the opposite. I can't remember all of the examples, but I do recall that the 800 was specifically talked about quite a bit as an example of the latter. According to that article there are natural 400 runners and natural milers, but the 800 existed in this boundary area where there is a lot of physiological crossover that occurs. As such you evidently  get quarter milers moving up and milers moving down to become 800 runners, and it is extremely difficult for both, and lends itself to very divergent strategies for running the distance. For me 800s are simply awful, but 1200s are DREADFUL. I also kinda feel the same way about the 15k distance - extremely difficult to race well for me.

At any rate, as others have said they will get (slightly) better as you learn how to pace them out through practice. In the meantime I might suggest that next time you have to run them and the going gets a little rough you actually think FURTHER out in to the future, say to Sunday August 9th at approximately 11:39am CDT. Imagine the PURELY HYPOTHETICAL situation of hearing a friend's footsteps coming up behind you right at the four-miles-into-a-10k mark and asking, "Hey Chris, how you feeling?" 

800s are not only hard, take them seriously and do them right and they will make YOU hard on race day.

LOL.  All's I have to do is hold you off for two more miles??  psshh no worries.  

Interesting stuff above.  I'm a pretty good student, and do -- or, overdo -- pretty much what my coach tells me.  My masters coach said if he wrote down stand on your head in the middle of a set of 50s, I'd probably do it.  So while I had the option for 3 or 4, and pace was 7:xx to 7:xx + 10, i did 4 a sub 7:xx. 

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-10 5:59 PM

2014-07-11 3:36 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

btw thats a yard pool

I love those days!  It's been a while since I had one but it truly is an awesome feeling.  Complete harmony with the water that you wish you could bottle up and save for race day!  

2014-07-11 4:49 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Thanks for all the brake suggestions.  I pretty much did them all, cleaned the brake track and pads, adjusted the pads to be a bit more toe in doing what Jason suggested.  Took it for a quick spin and it's all good.

2014-07-11 7:19 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

btw thats a yard pool

I love those days!  It's been a while since I had one but it truly is an awesome feeling.  Complete harmony with the water that you wish you could bottle up and save for race day!  

So it's not supposed to feel you're trying to muscle your way through mud?  That's where my swim is at the moment, "lost" something again and it's a struggle in the water till I hopefully have that aha moment and figure it out again.  Going to be looking for feet in the race tomorrow and hope for the best.

2014-07-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

btw thats a yard pool

So it's not supposed to feel you're trying to muscle your way through mud?  That's where my swim is at the moment, "lost" something again and it's a struggle in the water till I hopefully have that aha moment and figure it out again.  Going to be looking for feet in the race tomorrow and hope for the best.

Best of luck tomorrow Neil. May you swim smooth, your wheels turn fast and your run be strong.......
2014-07-11 9:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-11 10:53 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I mentioned the other day that I sheared off a bolt that was holding my left elbow pad on.  A friend tried to help me extract it -- no go, so I'll be taking it to my bike shop today to see if they can get it out.  But in the meantime, I figured I'd remove the other bolts and replace with titanium so my toxic sweat can't kill them. 

Not sure what the deal is, but Cervelo must have some proprietary bolts in that thing....a 3mm allen wrench is just a little small (resulted in me stripping one of the bolts, which now also has to be extracted) and the 4mm is too big.  None of the imperial allen wrenches fit either.  WTF?  Anyone ever remove these bolts?  Do I need to call Cervelo and ask for their proprietray allen wrench?  hah

2014-07-11 10:54 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hope everyone racing has a great weekend!  I'll be anxious to hear about it

2014-07-11 11:07 AM

Elite
Ontario

btw thats a yard pool

Best of luck tomorrow Neil. May you swim smooth, your wheels turn fast and your run be strong.......

Same to you James. 

2014-07-11 11:25 AM

Seattle

LOL.  All's I have to do is hold you off for two more miles??  psshh no worries.  

Interesting stuff above.  I'm a pretty good student, and do -- or, overdo -- pretty much what my coach tells me.  My masters coach said if he wrote down stand on your head in the middle of a set of 50s, I'd probably do it.  So while I had the option for 3 or 4, and pace was 7:xx to 7:xx + 10, i did 4 a sub 7:xx. 

Well, in that case I would bet that your workout got harder not because of the way you mentally break up the sections but because you were running 10+ seconds too fast lol!

I'd do the workouts as they are written unless you have a reason to believe your coach is wrong. Save the overachieving for the races!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38738 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74221 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.