Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-02-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

My job does have a fair amount of desk or meeting time, unfortunately.  I have, however, brought in the standing desks as an option for anyone that wants one and also the "sitting-ball-for-a-seat" chairs (forgot what they're called) and have one on order myself.   We kicked off a wellness initiative just after I joined this summer and it's really been fun, as I'm also seeing people doing walking meetings (the IT group introduced that one at our last company meeting wellness segment with a time-lapse video of an actual meeting where they walked around the building with a laptop - goofy but pretty funny) and we've brought in some healthier food options and other elements.

One of the nicer parts is that now that I'm running from work up to a couple times a week, I've also noticed a lot of other folks starting to run, walk, use the gym etc. during their breaks.  And productivity has only gone up...  Good times!

Anywho, was just wondering if anyone else got tight from standing at a desk (rather than standing and moving all day - as some of you are clearly doing!).  Seems better than sitting (Arend, I hear you on the back thing).  Hope you can all stay healthy at work!  (and don't rub it in James that your work is, in part, staying healthy!). 

Matt

Standing in one spot all day has been notably different from walking around even just a little. Being very stationary has tended to lead to more stiffness/soreness. I also do better these days when able to sit from time to time as opposed to standing entirely. One person did have a standing desk conversion and liked it, but the nicest description I can use is "different" or "odd". "Getting older" was a self-applied descriptor.   Did have a taller lab type chair for sitting occasionally.

Over in the lab area this might be nice, actually, but have to accommodate people from about 5'0" to 6'5". And would need to justify the more expensive laptop computers to avoid simply walking across the room.

2015-02-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Jason N

I believe it's can't remember the exact name, but it's one of these

BT Mentor Strava Group
Strava BT Mentor Group
People Who Ride Their Trainer A Lot

Ha-ha - that's funny! Matt, just sent you n invite tot he group.Anyone else that can't find it and wants in send me your Strava name and I will send you na invite as well.

2015-02-03 2:06 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy

BT Mentor Strava Group
Strava BT Mentor Group

Ha-ha - that's funny! Matt, just sent you n invite tot he group.Anyone else that can't find it and wants in send me your Strava name and I will send you na invite as well.

Thanks!  It's motivating to be 5th (out of 5). 

Well, motivating to at least get a distance sensor for my trainer!  (or rather find it in the mess of things in the garage)

Matt

2015-02-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

BT Mentor Strava Group
Strava BT Mentor Group

Well, motivating to at least get a distance sensor for my trainer!  (or rather find it in the mess of things in the garage)

Matt

Well your outdoor riding should still be fine with the GPS. I won't get any credit for all this Sufferfest hill climbing!

2015-02-03 3:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
, California

Actually, I'm afraid to see what the leaderboard even looks like with this group!

1. Fred

2015-02-03 4:43 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by brigby1

BT Mentor Strava Group
Strava BT Mentor Group

Matt

Well your outdoor riding should still be fine with the GPS. I won't get any credit for all this Sufferfest hill climbing!

Ben - you need to get a subscription to Kinomap Trainer. The first time I tried it out with he kickr was on a ride up the Tormelet, I think. I had something all screwed up in the settings, and I basically wound up racing to the top in about 28 minutes. When it automatically uploaded to Strava, it  looked like I rode up the actual mountain. The ride was flagged I had all sorts of messages posted to my account. For the first time in my life I was actually glad that I do not read French.

I wonder if they have that little "bug" fixed now?

2015-02-03 5:47 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by spudone

Actually, I'm afraid to see what the leaderboard even looks like with this group!

1. Fred

Nope.........Ben is king of the trainer. But I think its useuly Jason until one of the ironstuds start hitting their long rides.

2015-02-03 9:13 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
Northern IL

Garmin seems to think I put out a split second 17,000+ watt spike, ha! Just that one point boosted the NP of a 95 minute ride by like 50 watts. Doesn't seem to show over on strava.

2015-02-04 1:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Garmin seems to think I put out a split second 17,000+ watt spike, ha! Just that one point boosted the NP of a 95 minute ride by like 50 watts. Doesn't seem to show over on strava.

Well...if it's not on Strava...then it didn't happen...lol
2015-02-04 6:57 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I ran on the treadmill this morning, I hope my knee doesn't end up exploding as a result.  Yes I am ashamed.  There is just soooo much snow that I don't know where I can run outside!

2015-02-04 7:01 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by axteraa

I ran on the treadmill this morning, I hope my knee doesn't end up exploding as a result.  Yes I am ashamed.  There is just soooo much snow that I don't know where I can run outside!

When facing such a dilemma I have learned to stop for a moment and ask myself, "WWJD?" (What would James do?).

2015-02-04 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

When facing such a dilemma I have learned to stop for a moment and ask myself, "WWJD?" (What would James do?).

Snow shoes....................Isn't that standard issue for a Canadian runner?
2015-02-04 7:13 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri

This was my other issue.  I think I'm getting soft...

(IMG-20150204-00208.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG-20150204-00208.jpg (22KB - 1 downloads)
2015-02-04 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's one of the few times I'm glad I live here. I never have to worry about needing a treadmill, or how many layers to wear for a workout! Brought back memories of youthful distance running madness......

I remember in high school even when there was a foot or more of snow I would still go to a track or field (out of the way of idiots trying to drive) and try to run (trudge?) in it. There was no treadmill. A couple of times our long run (Dad got into marathons as well) took pretty literally all day--I remember eating lunch in the middle of one! I thought snow running as my version of Cerutty's sand hill. If things were really, really bad wind-chill wise, Dad and I rode a stationary in the basement. We were trying to hit the same heart rate as for running, which if you're not a decent cyclist, is actually quite hard. Somehow that didn't develop an early fondness for cycling.
2015-02-04 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

This was my other issue.  I think I'm getting soft...

Arend, that would be a 3 layer day........

I also heard Marc has a pair of snow shoes with a PT on them........

2015-02-04 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I also heard Marc has a pair of snow shoes with a PT on them........

Don't laugh, it's coming

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=54210...

2015-02-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Question: Unlimited funds: which smart trainer do you purchase to train solo, in groups, and on specific courses?

Background: someone I'm working with wants to expand their business to include cycling solo/group trainer workouts, in addition to other services.

(they are looking at the Tacx i-Genius, but I'm not sold on it)

2015-02-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Question: Unlimited funds: which smart trainer do you purchase to train solo, in groups, and on specific courses?

Background: someone I'm working with wants to expand their business to include cycling solo/group trainer workouts, in addition to other services.

I don't have an answer for you but something like this would be cool.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/morning-boutiquea-cycling.html

2015-02-04 11:51 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I don't have an answer for you but something like this would be cool.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/morning-boutiquea-cycling.html

This is what they want to grow to, starting with 4 trainers... but I think KICKR, CompuTrainer, PowerBeam are all worth looking into. I read mostly not great things about Tacx

2015-02-04 11:54 AM

User image

Seattle

Are there any regularly groomed cross country ski trails you can run on? I assume you can't run elsewhere because the snow is deep and you post-hole? 

2015-02-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Are there any regularly groomed cross country ski trails you can run on? I assume you can't run elsewhere because the snow is deep and you post-hole? 

I'll be ok within a couple of days.  It's just the 27 inches of snow that we got yesterday so there are basically no usable sidewalks in the city.  Another dump of snow on Friday won't help...

2015-02-04 12:08 PM

User image

Seattle

I'll be ok within a couple of days.  It's just the 27 inches of snow that we got yesterday so there are basically no usable sidewalks in the city.  Another dump of snow on Friday won't help...

Now I'm just jealous. 

2015-02-04 1:26 PM

User image

Power numbers seem back on track based on yesterday's interval workout.  45 days left on my Quarq warranty...part of me was hoping it was broken so I could get a free upgrade to a Riken, and part of me is just glad it's reliable again so I don't have to worry about any potential differences with a new PM.  Knock on wood, but this 975 has been extremely good for me outside of a few scenarios and I suppose that's all you can ask out of a PM.

2015-02-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Now I'm just jealous

Well, if it makes you feel better, we'll be having this terrible stretch of 70's and sunny coming up.

2015-02-04 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag

The Garmin 920 has a VO2 max calculator function

Anyone know how they estimate this?

Matt

I am not sure how they do it They use HRV, HR and speed. Add 17% to your VDOT and compare it to the number they give. How do they compare ?

Thought about this for a while (and had a couple minutes at work... ahem).  When I compare what I **think** my current 5k time-ish would be to get my Vdot, then add 17%, it's a half point off the 920's estimate.  Very close, indeed.

When I compare my last open 5k that I actually raced (almost 1.5 years ago now - sigh), it's one point below the 920's current #, but still that's quite close.

Just found that interesting...  I wonder what the 920 would say if I'd run that last race with it.

Matt

Edited to remove superfluous stuff from my original post, for your reading ease...

M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-02-04 3:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).