BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-03 9:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723

Adrienne and Steve (or anyone else) - have you ever run the Jack and Jill marathon?  If so, how'd you like it?  If not, what have you heard about it?  Thanks!

I've not run the exact marathon but a marathon that uses almost the same course. In fact, I plan to run it again! I see Jack and Jill is in July and the Light at the end of the tunnel is in June (the one I want to run)

The difference in the course that I have ran (and will) and J&J is that you don't run through the tunnel.

Both have a gradual downhill almost the entire way, as I am sure you saw. 

The marathon is fast, as you might assume but before you get too excited there are some things you need to consider, namely your quads. Never have my legs been so incredibly sore. Just think about the math. A marathon already puts an extraordinary force on your legs, now add the force of the "fall."

Also, the whole thing is gravel and there is a portion where the rocks are big and sharp and from personal experience do NOT play well with racing flats You may even want to consider gaiters to keep everything out of your shoes.

The marathon I did din't have full support so many of the aid stations were unmanned, meaning you had to manually fill a cup of water, drink it and take off. Not sure how this one would be.

Any specific questions?

I remember when you ran it.  Always thought that would be the coolest race.  If I recall, doesn't it sell out? And yes, downhill running is overrated.  The marathon I do every spring has a similar elevation profile and nothing is more painful on your quads.

If J & J doesn't go through the tunnel I'd forego for the Light at the end of Tunnel.  Half the fun would be running the tunnel.

Yeah, a little downhill here and there can be a nice break, but a lot of it can do some damage. It's still a marathon. It's a long way to go. There is nothing "fast" about it.

2015-11-03 10:36 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

It's a teaching week. I'm watching Big Bang Theory with a glass of wine...trying to stop hearing little voices saying "I can't do it".

Now I can finish the last 3 pages.

2015-11-03 10:59 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master

Originally posted by Jet Black Proof of life post, i.e. I survived. I didn't do as good as I had hoped, but still beat my Galveston time by 9 minutes, mainly due to running 14 minutes faster. This bike course was much harder, and my front derailleur malfunctioning at mile 15 leaving me with only the small ring didn't help. Ended up 6th AG with 5:13:48. Swim (apparently I swam 2300 yards - these #s are from my garmin): 31:56 1:24/100yd Bike: 2:48:20.0 20.0mph Run: 1:50:54.1 8:28/M

Nice! (you know, after the not so nice derailleur stuff) Congrats on another great race

2015-11-03 11:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Last night, whole family was over at a friend of my sister for dinner after the kids were done with their thing. Sister tried to have her 3 year old son eat at the table next to me. He kept running away screaming. I'm not in anything remotely resembling a costume? Eventually she sat him down to eat, but he just kept crying. Until I started eating his french fries. This was the greatest thing in the world to him and somehow he was now happy and eating?

Don't worry yourself about the logic. Haha.

This makes perfect sense to me. My grandnephew is the same way, and so am I. Feed me, and then I like people too. And you're kind of a scary guy, Br--Bra--Bo--uh, you.

I didn't feed him, my sister did. I was taking his food. I've come to expect this sort of thing though, especially from my sisters kids. None of them even remotely make sense.

At least you're learning.

2015-11-03 11:19 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed I have no idea if I will ever have time for a rr but I am currently stuck waiting for a train so I want to at least give the details! Ok, so the emerald city open: the first lap felt really good, it was dry and Temps were perfect. I was running in a tight pack. I traded positions a few times but a good 8 of us were together going into the second lap. At the second, Oiselle CEO Sally made a move on me as well as one of her teammates. It was way too soon to match the move as I was pretty maxed out. I decided to do my best to keep them in sight but to practice patience and wait until halfway through lap 3 to make my move if I had it in me. Therr were two hills I could capitalize on my strength to make the move. I started getting a little lactic so I had to back off a bit at the close of lap 2. Sadly Sally and Emily pulled away a bit. I tried not to get discouraged and focused on one girl at a time. I picked off a couple collegiate girls, including a D1 girl! Very, very slowly Sally and Emily came back into sight. I didn't surge, just kept steady and overtook Emily at the first hill (where I was setting my surge) I used my momentum and hammered it, increasing my cadence up the hill. Quickly gapping emily. There was a slight downhill where I tried to recover a bit for my final attack. I kept cadence really high hut tried to breathe easy. I rounded the corner and the big hill followed by the finishing chute were in sight. It was now or never. I attacked with all I had and passed Sally. I continued on up the hill furiously pumping my arms to try to get my dead legs to follow. I didn't let up until I nearly ran into a volunteer trying to collect my timing chips (yes, we wear two. Those .0005 seconds matter lol)I've not been able to prioritize working on speed so I wasn't fast. What I was able to do was use my strength from a summer of mountain running and my brain, for tactics. Sometimes you just have to use what you have available!

Wow. Sounds like you capitalized on what you have available. Way to pace and plan!

2015-11-03 11:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by Atlantia I am a mighty swimmer! Swim class #6 was over the weekend, and in addition to my breaststroke looking much improved -- we started butterfly! Just kicking for now, but I got to wear fins, and it was so much fun. The mermaid is strong within me! In other swimming news, I did a 100 last week that was sub 2:00 for the first time ever! All that time in the pool is started to show some improvement. And I cannot figure out how to attach a picture of my darling Vivaldi here....so she remains a mystery I suppose. She is the star of my instagram though.

Well, you ARE a Manatee, and it IS National Manatee Awareness month. I foresee a swimmingly good 27 days

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-11-03 11:45 PM

2015-11-04 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Adrienne and Steve (or anyone else) - have you ever run the Jack and Jill marathon?  If so, how'd you like it?  If not, what have you heard about it?  Thanks!

I've not run the exact marathon but a marathon that uses almost the same course. In fact, I plan to run it again! I see Jack and Jill is in July and the Light at the end of the tunnel is in June (the one I want to run)

The difference in the course that I have ran (and will) and J&J is that you don't run through the tunnel.

The marathon is fast, as you might assume but before you get too excited there are some things you need to consider, namely your quads. Never have my legs been so incredibly sore. Just think about the math. A marathon already puts an extraordinary force on your legs, now add the force of the "fall."

Also, the whole thing is gravel and there is a portion where the rocks are big and sharp and from personal experience do NOT play well with racing flats You may even want to consider gaiters to keep everything out of your shoes.

The marathon I did din't have full support so many of the aid stations were unmanned, meaning you had to manually fill a cup of water, drink it and take off. Not sure how this one would be.

Any specific questions?

I remember when you ran it.  Always thought that would be the coolest race.  If I recall, doesn't it sell out? And yes, downhill running is overrated.  The marathon I do every spring has a similar elevation profile and nothing is more painful on your quads.

If J & J doesn't go through the tunnel I'd forego for the Light at the end of Tunnel.  Half the fun would be running the tunnel.

J and J does go through the tunnel.  I looked up light at the end of the tunnel and see they also have the same race in september.  the weather may be more reasonable then - so just something else to think about!

2015-11-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning everyone! 

Having unseasonably warm temperatures here - we'll take it! Had a nice run last night in a t-shirt! 

Anyway, busy day on tap with swimming tonight.

But I am kind of gossiping but I wonder if any of you cruise that 'other site' ST? I was just reading with great interest the thread about the lady cheating at RnR races.  This follows not too long after the thread about the woman who was DQ'ed from Ironman Canada for cheating.  I find the whole thing fascinating - the psychology of the cheating itself but also of the people (on ST) who take it up as a cause finding evidence and such. In this case people found the person and went on her Facebook account to question her. What do you guys think about all this? 

2015-11-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by juniperjen

Good morning everyone! 

Having unseasonably warm temperatures here - we'll take it! Had a nice run last night in a t-shirt! 

But I am kind of gossiping but I wonder if any of you cruise that 'other site' ST? I was just reading with great interest the thread about the lady cheating at RnR races.  This follows not too long after the thread about the woman who was DQ'ed from Ironman Canada for cheating.  I find the whole thing fascinating - the psychology of the cheating itself but also of the people (on ST) who take it up as a cause finding evidence and such. In this case people found the person and went on her Facebook account to question her. What do you guys think about all this? 

I've never really spent much time on ST. I do read what I can find about cheating scandals, because I find them interesting. I don't really get cheating at all, but I for sure don't get it at the AG level. I mean, I want to be the very best and all, but what makes someone decide to cheat? I read it all for the gossip and psychology of it. I do not condone interacting with it online or in person. First of all, who has time for that? And second, that kind of mob mentality of "justice" is just another bad side of the human psyche.
2015-11-04 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good morning everyone! 

I go to ST from time to time and have seen the posts on the cheating at RnR.  What that woman did, and apparently has done many times,  was very wrong and i have no problem with people turning her in to the race director so the right person is awarded the AG win and other placements.  I do have a problem with the going onto the woman's FB or other social media sites and harassing her.  For some reason, being behind a computer makes people do things they would never do in person.  That type of thing seems to be a common occurrence at ST. 

2015-11-04 10:22 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I love good gossip and can't get enough of those cheating threads.

2015-11-04 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Good morning everyone! 

I go to ST from time to time and have seen the posts on the cheating at RnR.  What that woman did, and apparently has done many times,  was very wrong and i have no problem with people turning her in to the race director so the right person is awarded the AG win and other placements.  I do have a problem with the going onto the woman's FB or other social media sites and harassing her.  For some reason, being behind a computer makes people do things they would never do in person.  That type of thing seems to be a common occurrence at ST. 

Absolutely turn her into the RD for all of the races where she had the same guy run for her.  I wonder how she thought she wouldn't eventually get caught?  Kind of like the woman at IM Whistler... you blatantly cheated more than once, someone is going to notice! 

I don't like that they went to her FB page though.  I know they said that they only "questioned" her about the races, but my guess is that it was probably more intimidating/keyboard warrior than that.  

The only thing I want to know now is whether she's going to be banned from all future RNR races??  What happened next?  Inquiring minds want to know!! 

2015-11-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Good morning everyone! 

Absolutely turn her into the RD for all of the races where she had the same guy run for her.  I wonder how she thought she wouldn't eventually get caught?  Kind of like the woman at IM Whistler... you blatantly cheated more than once, someone is going to notice! 

I don't like that they went to her FB page though.  I know they said that they only "questioned" her about the races, but my guess is that it was probably more intimidating/keyboard warrior than that.  

The only thing I want to know now is whether she's going to be banned from all future RNR races??  What happened next?  Inquiring minds want to know!! 

Some may have asked nice, others may have been a bit more intimidating (intentional or not). Seems like she was blowing them all off and denying everything. Didn't help her that she was making posts with memes like "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am".

This one got to people some more as she is a coach. There was discussion of bringing the evidence to her sponsors as well.

2015-11-04 11:26 AM

User image

Seattle

Any specific questions?

J and J does go through the tunnel.  I looked up light at the end of the tunnel and see they also have the same race in september.  the weather may be more reasonable then - so just something else to think about!

You are right, I don't know why I thought I had read that it didn't. You are correct, they put on the Tunnel Light marathon in Sept. as well.  Which would be an excellent time to run in the PNW. Personally I want to run a late spring marathon because I like having that motivation in the winter AND I've got other things in mind for Sept. 

2015-11-04 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Good morning everyone! 

Some may have asked nice, others may have been a bit more intimidating (intentional or not). Seems like she was blowing them all off and denying everything. Didn't help her that she was making posts with memes like "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am".

This one got to people some more as she is a coach. There was discussion of bringing the evidence to her sponsors as well.

Looks like she's had her results from at least one RNR race erased.  I sincerely hope they ban her, especially since she/he's been making the AG podium for some of the races.  Memes like that are just in bad taste to begin with IMO, and to top it off that she's a coach and a representative of a major brand?  I don't see this ending well for her.  

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2015-11-04 11:43 AM
2015-11-04 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good morning everyone! 

Looks like she's had her results from at least one RNR race erased.  I sincerely hope they ban her, especially since she/he's been making the AG podium for some of the races.  Memes like that are just in bad taste to begin with IMO, and to top it off that she's a coach and a representative of a major brand?  I don't see this ending well for her.  

hope she's banned from all the RnR races and dropped as rep.

2015-11-04 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Any specific questions?

You are right, I don't know why I thought I had read that it didn't. You are correct, they put on the Tunnel Light marathon in Sept. as well.  Which would be an excellent time to run in the PNW. Personally I want to run a late spring marathon because I like having that motivation in the winter AND I've got other things in mind for Sept. 

I sure hope DS2 gets stationed in Bangor!!!!!

Did I tell you I had my first oyster when we took him out for his 25th bday while we were in CT?

2015-11-04 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Good morning everyone! 

hope she's banned from all the RnR races and dropped as rep.

I'm guessing she's going to lose some, if not all, of her client base as well.

2015-11-04 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Any specific questions?

Every year I wait for you to show up at Yakima River Canyon. 

2015-11-04 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I was sure humbled yesterday.  A few friends asked me to join them for some CX type riding around the paths and trails during lunch.  I figured I had made pretty good strides on the trainer and it would be a fairly leisurely ride.  Wrong!!  While I probably put in more time than these guys they are younger and more experienced with CX racing.  I kept up OK but I had my heart in my throat more than a few times. 

In reflecting on this, I think I have a tendency to lull myself into a false sense of security because I put in the time but I think I shy too much away from higher intensity work especially on the bike and in the water.  It is rides like this that really expose that.  I guess better a training ride than a race.  I purposely have shied from intensity on my running until I build up more base which I think I have and will start a weekly rep or interval session after the marathon.  I thought I rode pretty intensely on the trainer but wearing a HR monitor on this ride showed that I should be pushing much harder and doing some shorter, higher intensity intervals.

2015-11-04 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning everyone! 

Seriously - how will we ever know! hahahaha! 

So, i think we are all pretty well in line: 

Cheating=bad

But also going to inquire on Facebook is probably more like harrassment. Even if done in a less 'intimidating' way or purely inquiring. That kind of thing is best left to the race directors, officials, etc

Anyway, like Atlantia i am confused/fascinated by AGer who cheat this way. I am not sure how someone 

1. thinks they can get away with it forever

2. can justify that it is worthwhile to do - what is the payoff?? 

I, for one, really am proud of my accomplishments that i have done all on my very own. I will tell you my race times and if you judge me to be fast/slow, worthwhile/not worthwhile that is more of a judgement on you. 

2015-11-04 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I was sure humbled yesterday.  A few friends asked me to join them for some CX type riding around the paths and trails during lunch.  I figured I had made pretty good strides on the trainer and it would be a fairly leisurely ride.  Wrong!!  While I probably put in more time than these guys they are younger and more experienced with CX racing.  I kept up OK but I had my heart in my throat more than a few times. 

In reflecting on this, I think I have a tendency to lull myself into a false sense of security because I put in the time but I think I shy too much away from higher intensity work especially on the bike and in the water.  It is rides like this that really expose that.  I guess better a training ride than a race.  I purposely have shied from intensity on my running until I build up more base which I think I have and will start a weekly rep or interval session after the marathon.  I thought I rode pretty intensely on the trainer but wearing a HR monitor on this ride showed that I should be pushing much harder and doing some shorter, higher intensity intervals.

Steve, after I finished my hardtail MTB build, I rolled it out to the local Sate Forest land and rode some of the trails. I was also chased for a few moments by a surprised and angered wild hog.  My HR was fairly high, to say the least, but not solely because of the hog.  It was a completely different experience on a bike than I am used to.  I came away from that with the thought that any different activities (withiin reason) in training can be beneficial.  I'll be out there more during the winter, because of the intensity that came along with it.

2015-11-04 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Seriously - how will we ever know! hahahaha! 

So, i think we are all pretty well in line: 

Cheating=bad

But also going to inquire on Facebook is probably more like harrassment. Even if done in a less 'intimidating' way or purely inquiring. That kind of thing is best left to the race directors, officials, etc

Anyway, like Atlantia i am confused/fascinated by AGer who cheat this way. I am not sure how someone 

1. thinks they can get away with it forever

2. can justify that it is worthwhile to do - what is the payoff?? 

I, for one, really am proud of my accomplishments that i have done all on my very own. I will tell you my race times and if you judge me to be fast/slow, worthwhile/not worthwhile that is more of a judgement on you. 

I find it best to concern myself with the things I can control and let others control that which they can control. In this case, it seems like she cheated and the proper officials have been told. To continue to stalk, intimidate, question, etc is not generating any value, at least for me. I trust (rightly or not) that the proper officials will do the right thing.  Especially since it doesn't affect me.  Anyone can feel free to argue that in the greater universe, all cheating affects all of us. I'm not going to refute the point, I just choose not to get involved. This outlook has kept me blissfully happy in a lot of things, and when I have strayed from that outlook, it hasn't been beneficial.

Vacation is 17 work hours away.  I'm really looking forward to it.

2015-11-04 1:56 PM

User image

Seattle

Any specific questions?

Every year I wait for you to show up at Yakima River Canyon. 

Yeah! Ya know one of my training partners and I were talking about that one.

I think the biggest deterrent is the fact that it's quite a drive AND that I would have to start training before Christmas and I really like to have an obligation free holiday period so that I can really prioritize family/travel. 

I see they have a half marathon, maybe that'd  be a good tune-up race....

2015-11-04 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Adrienne, how is the Subaru?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55208 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67944 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28884 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12239 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67493 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.