BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4742985

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!

Fred D - 2013-05-15 2:51 AM Sipping coffee hoping to soon go out for a short run. Coffee before a run? Hey question for the group?? What do you eat and drink on race morning for an HIM?? I will tell you what has worked for me and what hasn't later. Let me know your thoughts.
I haven't done a HIM yet, but for the oly's I have done what has worked best has been a clif bar or pro bar or similar type thing about 2.5 hours before the race, then starting about two hours before the race start sipping a strawberry-banana smoothie, finish that a half hour later.  Then I always bring a banana and peanut butter with me but I never end up eating it.  Water with skratch as appropriate, and a gel about 15 min before racetime.

I think at least the smoothie is a little abnormal but it works for me.  Smoothies are a staple of my morning routine during training so stick with what works.  I simplify it a little and buy a premade one from the store since I'm never at home for these things.  I like the bottlehouse farms ones.

2013-05-15 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4723777

User image

Expert
Race morning is oatmeal with blueberry, a bagel, apple and banana. I don't do coffee and wait until half way through the bike to introduce caffeine into my gels. I'll drink 24 oz of water with 3 Nuun tablets to start hydrating and up my electrolytes before I even start. As the wave ahead of me goes I'll suck down a gel.
2013-05-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4742985

User image

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-05-15 4:51 AMSipping coffee hoping to soon go out for a short run. Coffee before a run? Hey question for the group?? What do you eat and drink on race morning for an HIM?? I will tell you what has worked for me and what hasn't later. Let me know your thoughts.
Last HIM I had a cinnamon raisin bagel and coffee and water. Seemed to work well.
2013-05-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4743173

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
ligersandtions - 2013-05-15 6:16 AM

I know saddles are super personal, so what works for one might not work for another....but I'm going to ask anyways.  I've used both an Adamo Road and a Cobb V-Flow Plus and haven't had a lot of success with either.  For someone who's used the commonly suggested saddles (and had multiple bike fits with professional fitters) and found that they don't seem to work, where do you look next? 

FWIW, the Adamo felt too wide in the front and left me with bad bruising (used for ~20 hours before going to the Cobb).  The Cobb (going on 115 hours) is maybe too squishy and seems to result in some friction issues despite numerous bike fits and lots of chamois cream.

Someone may have already asked this or it may have already been answered (I slept in a couple hours this morning and this thread gets out of control), but did you try the alleged trick I've read about to zip tie the front of the adamo?  I literally just got an Adamo Road yesterday, myself.
2013-05-15 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4743469

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

amschrod - 2013-05-15 8:19 AM

...Went to my LBS which is a Specialized dealer with a loaner program to give them a try. They measured my backside and everything (turns out my wife is right: I have no butt), and gave me a Specialized Toupe model...

PSA: I needed new race shorts and jersey this year, and I found the 2XU long distance shorts and jersey, which I like very much, for a great price on Amazon.

Do they carry or did they mention the Specialized Sitero model?  Has anyone here tried it out?  I haven't seen it talked about on BT but most of the people over on ST are obsessed with it.  It was a bit more than I was looking to spend this time but it looks like very few people on ST that have tried it haven't loved it.

?Regarding 2XU, Woot actually had some of their stuff towards the end of last year, I got some comp shorts and jersey for a really good price. But swimoutlet.com seems to get the best clearance deals.  I got a pair of long distance shorts for around $35 and a jersey for just north of that earlier this year.  I know everyone seems to love DeSoto, but 2XU is my favorite of the stuff I've tried (including DeSoto).

2013-05-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4743180

User image

Veteran
Maryland
ligersandtions - 2013-05-15 8:19 AM

Fred D - 2013-05-15 2:51 AM Sipping coffee hoping to soon go out for a short run. Coffee before a run? Hey question for the group?? What do you eat and drink on race morning for an HIM?? I will tell you what has worked for me and what hasn't later. Let me know your thoughts.

I go with wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana.  I might get a couple shot blocks in me before the swim start, but the nervous energy usually makes them seem repulsive!

I tried smoothies (a scoop of protein, some fruit, a spoonful of peanut butter) for a while, but I found that the large volume wanted to come back up while on the bike....aero position is conducive to liquids wanting to come back out the way they came in!  So that was nixed after a few long rides.

I am similar, banana, soynut butter and bagel 2-3hrs before. And electrolyte drink 1 hour prior.

2013-05-15 12:45 PM

User image

Prerace nutrition for a HIM is something like 1-2 bagels, a banana, some nuts, powerade, and maybe half a powerbar or something I might have gotten during packet pickup.  I usually start eating about 3 hours before the race starts...sort of just picking at the different foods over 60-90 minutes rather than just sitting down and eating everything at once.  Part of it is because I'm usually not that hungry at 4am, and part of it is that I want to have some control over what goes in and when to stop.

2013-05-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4743568

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
jmholzman - 2013-05-15 8:56 AM
ligersandtions - 2013-05-15 6:16 AM

I know saddles are super personal, so what works for one might not work for another....but I'm going to ask anyways.  I've used both an Adamo Road and a Cobb V-Flow Plus and haven't had a lot of success with either.  For someone who's used the commonly suggested saddles (and had multiple bike fits with professional fitters) and found that they don't seem to work, where do you look next? 

FWIW, the Adamo felt too wide in the front and left me with bad bruising (used for ~20 hours before going to the Cobb).  The Cobb (going on 115 hours) is maybe too squishy and seems to result in some friction issues despite numerous bike fits and lots of chamois cream.

Someone may have already asked this or it may have already been answered (I slept in a couple hours this morning and this thread gets out of control), but did you try the alleged trick I've read about to zip tie the front of the adamo?  I literally just got an Adamo Road yesterday, myself.

Yeah, my fitter did the zip tie trick when he put the Adamo saddle on my bike. 

I did read that the new ISM Attack is narrower, but has more "usable width".  It's certainly on my short list of saddles to consider....but the potential of throwing another $250 away and getting nothing in return is a little hard to stomach.  Maybe a local shop has one in their demo program already....

Edited by ligersandtions 2013-05-15 12:52 PM
2013-05-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4743475

User image

stevesflyshop - 2013-05-15 5:23 AM Wheel question: I'm looking to upgrade my bike (Felt B-16) with a race wheel setup and found a good deal on a Blackwell Research 100 front wheel. The concern I have is its a tubular, and I have no experience with this type of wheel. I had planned to put a disk cover on my rear for racing and of course its a clincher. Would I be better just passing on the front and waiting for a clincher? I'm not wanting to spend a lot on the wheel set since I plan to seriously upgrade my bike in a couple of years.

You can always go with the cover for the rear now, but I wouldn't really recommend a Blackwell 100 unless you're basically getting it for free.  100mm is really deep, and under normal wind conditions, unless you're going 27-30 mph, a shallower wheel will usually be faster.  Watch the pro cyclists and you'll notice even most of them ride 60-80mm deep front wheels for flat TTs.

The Blackwell is also a deep V technology AFAIK, so it's not as aero as some of the other options currently available.  A used 404, used HED6, or FLO 60 would be a much better bet.

As far as tubulars...they are a pain in the butt.  Tires are expensive and take much more preparation to deal with replacing a tire.  The current clincher tires, paired with latex tubes are pretty much just as fast as tubulars now.

2013-05-15 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have yet to do a HIM but my pre-race breakfast usually consists of a PB on wheat, banana and a bottle of water and will take a GU before I swim. I am not sure if I will take in more calories or not before my HIM but will definately try to have a little bit more. During our ride we had a big breakfast of eggs, potato, sausage and biscuits/bagels every morning. I felt like I had tons of energy during the week so I don't know if I should eat like that again or not (probably not). I did learn that the uncrustables are amazing!! and work so well on the bike so I might be adding those to my race day nutrition.
2013-05-15 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
So I have a taper question for the group. Sunday is my first OLY of the season and its a strictly "do for fun" race that I signed up for on a whim about two months ago. It is wednesday and I am looking at what workouts to do leading up. I feel like 1 swim and 1 run would be sufficient since I got all the biking in over the weekend and currently do not feel like sitting on a bike again until race day. I thought about a 3 mile run either tonight or tomorrow AM and then a swim Friday before work. What do you all think about this plan? My legs are feeling alot better then yesterday but I am curious if another run will do more harm then good in terms of recovery before the race.

2013-05-15 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4743926

User image

dmbfan4life20 - 2013-05-15 8:20 AM So I have a taper question for the group. Sunday is my first OLY of the season and its a strictly "do for fun" race that I signed up for on a whim about two months ago. It is wednesday and I am looking at what workouts to do leading up. I feel like 1 swim and 1 run would be sufficient since I got all the biking in over the weekend and currently do not feel like sitting on a bike again until race day. I thought about a 3 mile run either tonight or tomorrow AM and then a swim Friday before work. What do you all think about this plan? My legs are feeling alot better then yesterday but I am curious if another run will do more harm then good in terms of recovery before the race.

You're certainly in a situation most of us haven't been in before having ridden so much this past weekend.  But if I were you, I would train all the way up till Thursday evening as if there was no race on Sunday.  If you do choose to workout Friday, make it something with less training stress than normal...so either same duration at an easier effort, or shorter duration at normal training effort.  Saturday, just go out and get the blood flowing.  It could be a short spin, a walk in the park, etc...but I just try not to be stagnant.

2013-05-15 4:20 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hi all - trapped in a week-long class that's cutting into my BT time and training time, but I look forward to trying to catch up later. Looks like a lot of good info is being passed around.

2013-05-15 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

First ride with the Adamo Road saddle today.  Went reasonably well.  Feels significantly better in the aero position than my stock saddle.  The pressure is very clearly on two points as opposed to all on one very uncomfortable point.  A little less comfortable that my stock saddle when I'm not aero, but not too bad.  All in all probably not the long term solution, but as I said it's much better than my stock saddle so I'm happy with it.  Maybe next season I'll look into some different saddles.

My profile design fast forward carbon seat post should get here later this week.  That will be the last piece of equipment I foresee obtaining for the bike before the 70.3 in August, so once that is in hand I'll be going for a fitting.

2013-05-15 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4744363

User image

Master
Orlando
jmholzman - 2013-05-15 5:08 PM

First ride with the Adamo Road saddle today.  Went reasonably well.  Feels significantly better in the aero position than my stock saddle.  The pressure is very clearly on two points as opposed to all on one very uncomfortable point.  A little less comfortable that my stock saddle when I'm not aero, but not too bad.  All in all probably not the long term solution, but as I said it's much better than my stock saddle so I'm happy with it.  Maybe next season I'll look into some different saddles.

My profile design fast forward carbon seat post should get here later this week.  That will be the last piece of equipment I foresee obtaining for the bike before the 70.3 in August, so once that is in hand I'll be going for a fitting.

You may want to play around with the tilt of the saddle, that can make a big difference.
2013-05-16 5:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-16 5:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-16 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4744773

Expert

Fred D - 2013-05-16 6:24 AM I had a strong ride yesterday, and I crushed two KOMs on it. Unfortunately when I got home I found that my garmin 800 wasn't connecting properly to the computer. Tried some Internet recommendations but no dice. Looks like I will have to send it back and I will lose the file. Sort of sucks as the KOMs will only exist in my mind as no one will know, but it is what it is. Phooey.

Sorry to hear about your Garmin. My husband is ready to toss his Cateye. 

I know it sounds ignorant but, what is a KOM? 

2013-05-16 7:27 AM

Veteran
Maryland

Who used shoes clipped in during T1 flying dismount and taking feet out of shoes prior to T2?  I am trying to cut down my transition times.  I was supposed to do the second coming into T2 at my last sprint but forgot...

A friend showed me that during that same race, if my time equaled his Trans time, I would have went up about 7 spots.

I also did put on arm warmers during T1 so I would not freeze.  And had a few seconds issue with my lock laces in T2, but that seemed to be only difference.

Edited by bgeyeguy 2013-05-16 7:29 AM
2013-05-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4744861

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
bgeyeguy - 2013-05-16 5:27 AM

Who used shoes clipped in during T1 flying dismount and taking feet out of shoes prior to T2?  I am trying to cut down my transition times.  I was supposed to do the second coming into T2 at my last sprint but forgot...

A friend showed me that during that same race, if my time equaled his Trans time, I would have went up about 7 spots.

I also did put on arm warmers during T1 so I would not freeze.  And had a few seconds issue with my lock laces in T2, but that seemed to be only difference.

I did both at my last oly.  Made a clear difference in my transition times.  The flying dismount is much easier than the flying mount, imo.  Youtube has some videos on it, and there's a video on here too: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1488.  After he sets up his transition area he demonstrates coming into and out of transition, and he does the flying mount and dismount.  Takes some practice.
2013-05-16 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4743851

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
tri808 - 2013-05-15 11:50 AM

You can always go with the cover for the rear now, but I wouldn't really recommend a Blackwell 100 unless you're basically getting it for free.  100mm is really deep, and under normal wind conditions, unless you're going 27-30 mph, a shallower wheel will usually be faster.  Watch the pro cyclists and you'll notice even most of them ride 60-80mm deep front wheels for flat TTs.

The Blackwell is also a deep V technology AFAIK, so it's not as aero as some of the other options currently available.  A used 404, used HED6, or FLO 60 would be a much better bet.

As far as tubulars...they are a pain in the butt.  Tires are expensive and take much more preparation to deal with replacing a tire.  The current clincher tires, paired with latex tubes are pretty much just as fast as tubulars now.

Thanks for the advice. I passed on it and am going to keep looking for a front.

Steve

2013-05-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4744861

Master
Orlando
bgeyeguy - 2013-05-16 7:27 AM

I've never been brave enough to try it! Plus I could never figure out how one would stop your clipped in shoes from smacking the ground as you ran with the bike into and in transition
2013-05-16 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4745291

NC

amd723 - 2013-05-16 12:15 PM Plus I could never figure out how one would stop your clipped in shoes from smacking the ground as you ran with the bike into and in transition

Some folks use rubber bands for keeping them up on the way out.  Some just don't worry about it.  Not much you can do about the way back in.

2013-05-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4745298

Master
Orlando
Goosedog - 2013-05-16 11:17 AM

amd723 - 2013-05-16 12:15 PM Plus I could never figure out how one would stop your clipped in shoes from smacking the ground as you ran with the bike into and in transition

Some folks use rubber bands for keeping them up on the way out.  Some just don't worry about it.  Not much you can do about the way back in.

Thanks!
2013-05-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4745048

Veteran
Maryland
jmholzman - 2013-05-16 9:12 AM
bgeyeguy - 2013-05-16 5:27 AM

I did both at my last oly.  Made a clear difference in my transition times.  The flying dismount is much easier than the flying mount, imo.  Youtube has some videos on it, and there's a video on here too: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1488.  After he sets up his transition area he demonstrates coming into and out of transition, and he does the flying mount and dismount.  Takes some practice.

Thanks, great video.  I will practice it a few times before sunday and see how confident I feel.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51