BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-09 3:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by amd723

How'd you feel about renting a bike for the race?

Hmmm, I don't know. Never really thought about that as an option.

I'm going to rent a bike when I head west to do Harvest Moon.  It will be cheaper and easier and less stress, I think, than trying to ship mine.  They just tell you to bring your own saddle and pedals.  I still have to pick a bike shop to rent from, though, not sure how to pick a good one and there are quite a few to choose from.

2016-05-09 4:13 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm going to rent a bike when I head west to do Harvest Moon.  It will be cheaper and easier and less stress, I think, than trying to ship mine.  They just tell you to bring your own saddle and pedals.  I still have to pick a bike shop to rent from, though, not sure how to pick a good one and there are quite a few to choose from.

Interesting. If there is anything I, or the Colorado Manatees, can do to help you figure it out please ask.

I forgot all about coming up for that. September 18 right?

2016-05-09 4:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Oh! Mary G! DH, DS1 and I discovered an authentic Polish deli here in Albuquerque!!!! We were so excited! We went yesterday. DH had some blood sausage, he said it was just like Busha used to make. DS1 and I had pierogi, so yum!!!!!!!!!

The owner is originally from Poland, then lived in Chicago for a few years then somehow landed in ABQ. The deli on the other side of town but somehow I think that will always be DH's suggestion for dinner out now.

Wow!! That's so cool! I'm glad you liked it and that it's actually really authentic )) I don't remember the last time when I had bloody sausage... probably before I moved to US...
I hope the town is not big enough to go to the other side
2016-05-09 4:46 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Guys, your debate on choosing right IM race reminded me about the dream I had last night. It was my first IM and during the bike I realized I was not training for IM, and what the hell am I doing here?? So I decided to continue, but I could not move my legs on the bike. I was trying to push and push, and here comes a really nasty hill, and I was unable to push the pedals. It really was a nightmare haha
2016-05-09 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Thanks for the info on the lights guys.
I went to the hardware store last night and got a cheap head torch which will do the job for now. It worked ok and having it meant that I could go outside and run in the dark this morning which was great because I did not want to do 6km on the treadmill.
2016-05-09 9:52 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Since we have the IM discussion going, I've got a question. I am supposed to start my IM plan in 2 weeks, but I am considering starting it early. I have some work things coming up that will destroy a couple of non-consecutive weeks. I am thinking that if I start early, the weeks that are going to be messed up, I could just repeat, instead of not doing the work by skipping, in one case probably 5 days in a row. What do you think?

2016-05-09 9:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by jmkizer

psst.  Texas has humidity too.

Ha! I was gonna say, Texas is not the race for you then! And with questions about the race's future, definitely take it off the list. Either Boulder or IMAZ would be great places to do an Ironman, don't think you could go wrong with either.

I will consider IMTX duly scratched from the list

Psst.... IM Boulder! They changed the bike course for this year and the big hills are at the beginning, not mile 90-100.

Hopefully I will be racing IM Boulder next year again. If not, I'm firing my husband...
2016-05-10 7:50 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by Jet Black

psst.  Texas has humidity too.

Ha! I was gonna say, Texas is not the race for you then! And with questions about the race's future, definitely take it off the list. Either Boulder or IMAZ would be great places to do an Ironman, don't think you could go wrong with either.

I will consider IMTX duly scratched from the list

Psst.... IM Boulder! They changed the bike course for this year and the big hills are at the beginning, not mile 90-100. Hopefully I will be racing IM Boulder next year again. If not, I'm firing my husband...

Nice!  No one wants a big hill at mile 100 (pro tip, all hills look big at mile 100 << I'm looking at you, Chalk Hill!)

2016-05-10 7:51 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Since we have the IM discussion going, I've got a question. I am supposed to start my IM plan in 2 weeks, but I am considering starting it early. I have some work things coming up that will destroy a couple of non-consecutive weeks. I am thinking that if I start early, the weeks that are going to be messed up, I could just repeat, instead of not doing the work by skipping, in one case probably 5 days in a row. What do you think?

No such thing as starting training too early. 

Seriously, the only reason to wait is burn out. 

2016-05-10 7:52 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for the info on the lights guys. I went to the hardware store last night and got a cheap head torch which will do the job for now. It worked ok and having it meant that I could go outside and run in the dark this morning which was great because I did not want to do 6km on the treadmill.

Great!  I am so glad that you were able to run outside today!

If you are not trail running in the dark, you don't needs a zillion lumens.

2016-05-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for the info on the lights guys. I went to the hardware store last night and got a cheap head torch which will do the job for now. It worked ok and having it meant that I could go outside and run in the dark this morning which was great because I did not want to do 6km on the treadmill.

The reason I like P-Tec is that I had sweat through the first light and it was replaced, no questions asked. The next version of the light has a lock on it that seals the battery case a bit better, reducing the chance that my salt filled sweat kills it. Good to see that you got a light, and you'll get to adjust to running with it. The heat and humidity may make it more cost affective down the line to get something of a higher quality. I wouldn't cross that bridge until I came to it, were I you.

Predawn is the best time to run, in my estimation. I hope you enjoy it, Stacey.

2016-05-10 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JBacarella Since we have the IM discussion going, I've got a question. I am supposed to start my IM plan in 2 weeks, but I am considering starting it early. I have some work things coming up that will destroy a couple of non-consecutive weeks. I am thinking that if I start early, the weeks that are going to be messed up, I could just repeat, instead of not doing the work by skipping, in one case probably 5 days in a row. What do you think?

No such thing as starting training too early. 

Seriously, the only reason to wait is burn out. 

Never put off to tomorrow what you can do  the day after.  No, wait, that's not it!

Janyne is wise in the ways of the training plan. You'll be better able to adjust during the plan and you may be more comfortable knowing that you have a built in cushion.

2016-05-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by fortissimo Psst.... IM Boulder! They changed the bike course for this year and the big hills are at the beginning, not mile 90-100. Hopefully I will be racing IM Boulder next year again. If not, I'm firing my husband...

This sounds harsh...

2016-05-10 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by DaveL

After a 1 week hiatus I am back. The kayak trip certainly had some challenges including long portages through snow due to trees across the river, some long slogs across windy lakes, freezing temperatures at night and also some really magnificent rapids that made it all worth while. I havent been on my bike in a week and am now 6 behind on my "ride 366" plan but am confidant I can make that up over the next few weeks. I did add some pictures and video to my logs if anyone is interested. Please let me know if the videos dont work as I had linked them to my facebook page and am not sure how well that works.

I will have to catch up on everyones posts but trust everyone is doing well. GO Manatees!

The pictures and video are fantastic )) I love kayaking (it's my third love after triathlon and hiking). I am waiting for my kids to get older, so we can have a more adventurous trip (so far we did plenty of canoe camping trips along Wisconsin River, but that's a good start.)
Are you planning to have more kayak trips? Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed that.

There will be some trips to the Ottawa river but just over the weekends. Next up will be PalmerFest which is a whitewater instructional weekend that I will attend with my son. He is 13 now. There might be a kids weekend kayak "expedition" style trip if we can arrange something,
2016-05-10 8:52 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Interesting. If there is anything I, or the Colorado Manatees, can do to help you figure it out please ask.

Yup, the race is the 18th.  My tentative plans are to arrive 9/16 and stay until 9/22, I'd love to see you if you are able to come up to the race or the area during that span.  How far away are you?  My sister is coming along, I'm so excited!

2016-05-10 8:57 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I think it's a great plan to anticipate the time you know you'll be missing.

2016-05-10 9:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yup, the race is the 18th.  My tentative plans are to arrive 9/16 and stay until 9/22, I'd love to see you if you are able to come up to the race or the area during that span.  How far away are you?  My sister is coming along, I'm so excited!

I'm planning to come up. It's about a 7 hour drive for me but that's not a hindrance. We drive up there all. the. time. Although the trips are getting fewer these days.  Depending on what comes up that weekend I'll probably come up Friday after work. Is your sister racing? Will you need Sherpa assistance? I'll check with Mary as well.

2016-05-10 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So I've pretty much settled on a 50 miler. It's called Colossal Vail 50/50. It's near Tucson in November.  So I asked a marathon runner friend about it because he lives in Tucson. He didn't know anyone who'd run it but warned me that runs in the Colossal area can be hilly. I told him I ain't skeert of hills .  Actually, it's supposed to be about 4,000 ft of gain which is pretty easy for a trail 50.

I also asked Coach Scott about helping me train for a 50 miler and a metric century ride simultaneously. He said he's good with it. I'll have to give him a call and talk specifics, and price

2016-05-10 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So I've pretty much settled on a 50 miler. It's called Colossal Vail 50/50. It's near Tucson in November.  So I asked a marathon runner friend about it because he lives in Tucson. He didn't know anyone who'd run it but warned me that runs in the Colossal area can be hilly. I told him I ain't skeert of hills .  Actually, it's supposed to be about 4,000 ft of gain which is pretty easy for a trail 50.

I also asked Coach Scott about helping me train for a 50 miler and a metric century ride simultaneously. He said he's good with it. I'll have to give him a call and talk specifics, and price

So much awesomeness!

2016-05-10 9:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

The reason I like P-Tec is that I had sweat through the first light and it was replaced, no questions asked. The next version of the light has a lock on it that seals the battery case a bit better, reducing the chance that my salt filled sweat kills it. Good to see that you got a light, and you'll get to adjust to running with it. The heat and humidity may make it more cost affective down the line to get something of a higher quality. I wouldn't cross that bridge until I came to it, were I you.

Predawn is the best time to run, in my estimation. I hope you enjoy it, Stacey.

Yeah, I occasionally run predawn too 

2016-05-10 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow! You're really embracing this endurance stuff   Really, that is great!

2016-05-10 9:27 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow! You're really embracing this endurance stuff   Really, that is great!

Well there are three main factors going in to this.

1) I've got a great running base I might as well use it to go longer. Both the 50 mile and the IM may be a one and done. I don't have to decide that right now but it's a possibility because of the time commitment 

2) I don't get hung up on age but that 50 bday is a big one and I've thought for some time I might do an IM for my 50th 

3) I want to do this while I still can.  I don't anticipate not being able to do this, but one never knows. DH is fully supportive and right now my life is such that I can commit the time.

2016-05-10 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

This email came out from one of my co-workers. I found it amusing...

This is a quick email to remind you of last year’s collective success in running the Duke City Marathon Relay and to measure your interest in running again. Spring is finally here, and it is perfect training weather.  This year’s Duke City Marathon will take place on October 16, 2016 and I figured we could elevate our challenge just one notch. Beat your personal goal by signing up for a 5k or 10k? Perhaps there will be those adventurous enough to run the half marathon? Perhaps TJ will run a marathon after the marathon?

X

2016-05-10 10:05 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Sounds SO exciting ))
(I don't even want to know anything about 50 miles right now... haha you are crazy <---- that's a compliment!)
2016-05-10 10:05 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

This email came out from one of my co-workers. I found it amusing...

This is a quick email to remind you of last year’s collective success in running the Duke City Marathon Relay and to measure your interest in running again. Spring is finally here, and it is perfect training weather.  This year’s Duke City Marathon will take place on October 16, 2016 and I figured we could elevate our challenge just one notch. Beat your personal goal by signing up for a 5k or 10k? Perhaps there will be those adventurous enough to run the half marathon? Perhaps TJ will run a marathon after the marathon?

X

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.