BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-17 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3434069

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN drinking tiger blood and closed
Kim, that sounds so cool!  I hope you have a great day tomorrow!!!

2011-04-17 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3450895

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

kt65 - 2011-04-17 7:38 AM Hi Gang!Congrats to Tony, Suzy and Rachel on your races! Sorry this is going to be one big run on, I am stealing Kathy's I pad and it runs safari...Anyhow, the vibe here is so amazing! Everything revolves around runners and this storied race! The expo was fantastic and I don't know how, but we missed one whole exhibit hall yesterday! I honestly didn't know what to expect, but truly, it is very COOL. It was super freezing and windy when we got in yesterday, even the locals were complaining about it...which gave them a break from complaining about the Red Sox! I did not flaunt my SF giants gear (too much), but got lots of stares at my Bright orange Viz Pro shoes. Or maybe it was the jet lagged bags under my eyes! It rained last night but warmed up a little bit, short sleeves on my little jog this morning. Lots of speedy runners out this morning! Signing out for now, the next time you hear from me, hopefully I will be a Boston Marathon Finisher!

Yay, Kim!  You go!

2011-04-17 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Suzy, Kyla, and Christina - Thanks for the help! 

Don't worry Suzy, I did make an appointment for a bike fitting, but they couldn't get me in until the 25th (I called a few days ago).  It's their busy season right now, so that's the first open slot they had.  This time, Brent personally will be fitting me (for those who aren't familiar with Emery's, Brent is an Olympic silver medalist biker, and pretty darn good!).  Last year when I bought the bike, a new guy did it, and I don't think he did the best job, and it's only been amplified recently because of the tendonitis I think.  I'm planning on trying all those saddles you guys recommended, too! 

Although, I'm not totally sure how I want to approach my rides until I get in there.  I have 3 rides planned for next week, 1h, 1h15m, and 2h15m.  I have a feeling I'm going to be walking funny next week if I do them all!  We'll see.

2011-04-17 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Kim, Good luck tomorrow.  Does anyone know if/how we can track her while she runs?  I know she gave us her bib number, but what do we do??

I want to thank everyone for the saddle suggestions.  I got a new tri bike (Felt S32) over the winter and have only been out on it a few times so far this spring.  I've made a couple of adjustments to the saddle already, but I can tell it's just not going to work.  I was spinning regularly (3X/week) all winter, so I know it's not just being on a bike seat.  Now, being in the aero position is different, but I'm not set up aggressively low.  I'm going to see if my LBS will get a few saddles in for me to try.

One more question:  Have any of you seen my willpower, ambition and resolve?  I seem to have misplaced it when the non-stop rain and crappy weather blew in Friday.  I had a good swim week last week, but need to get a lot more running in this week.  I have the 3rd race (5K) of my life coming up May 8th, and my first tri on June 25th.  

2011-04-17 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Good luck Kim - run fast!!!!  Can't wait to watch you progress online.  :-)

Adding on to the saddle question - who has the money back guarantee?  I thought either the Cobb or Adamo you could send back if you didn't like it.

2011-04-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3450978

Master
Charlotte, NC
sdalessio - 2011-04-17 10:22 AM

Good luck Kim - run fast!!!!  Can't wait to watch you progress online.  :-)

Adding on to the saddle question - who has the money back guarantee?  I thought either the Cobb or Adamo you could send back if you didn't like it.

Terry has a return policy also although I do not remember exactly how long.

2011-04-17 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
I also love the Cobb V Flow Plus, and they have a 180 day full money back guarantee.  They're also super-helpful on the phone.
2011-04-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3450999

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Race 2 of 2 done.  Actually very happy with myself.  9 lap 2.1 ish mile Circuit race.  On the 5th lap my tri-coach took off the front and at the exact same time I was flying up the outside so I was going to just keep on powering by and latch on but someone on my team jumped from the group and latched on so I just sat up and blocked a bit on the front to let them get as much lead as they could.

Last turn on each lap was at the bottom of a hill and it was a sharp right hand turn.  I think being 40 I have more of a sense of self preservation that some of the younger folks, I tend to not get too crazy going around tight turns, and still learning how to do fast corners in a group.  Every lap I would get passed at that corner, then sprint my way back up.  On the last lap I was actually smart and got myself as close to the front near that turn so I wouldn't have as many people to catch back up to. 

Problem was the break got caught right before then so it was like blood in the water for sharks, everyone took off.  I got passed by lots on the corner and then did my same sprint back past them.  I think I ended up somewhere between 15th and 20th.  Thinking if I was able to stay in my position around that corner I could have actually contended for a podium spot.  So pretty happy with the day.

2011-04-17 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Tony-I'm pretty sure I didn't understand much of what you just said, but I think you had fun?!?!?

Twin--ENJOY! So proud of you.

For those thinking about a saddle change, should you land on either the Cobb V Flow or a Terry Butterfly let me know.  I have  a brand new Cobb still in the box and two nearly brand new Terry Butterfly saddles (one black used about 100 miles, one whilte used less than 50 miles).  I will sell any of them for far less than retail to get them out of my backstock.

Jayne--Said nicely, "suck it up"!  Either one of those upcoming races could be in even worse weather so embrace the experience.  I did that yesterday and have a certain satisfaction in knowing I toughed it out while others stayed home.  You know deep down you can do it, right?

Anyone hear from our Tracy????  She did an Oly this weekend!

2011-04-17 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Suzy - thanks for the pedaling article that article at least points me in the right direction. Paid more attention to my pedaling today have a little work to get it all to gel together...all in all very helpful. Now could you post an article on how to stop or harness the wind. Undecided

Jayne - thanks for the link as well, I think hydration had something to do with the cramping, ran after my ride today and no issues, so between proper pedaling and hydrating seemed my calves were happy.

BTW I think your willpower, ambition and resolve are hanging out at the local bar with my motivation and confidence. Think they just needed a little break and some fun...they will be back. Cool

Edited by bfwhitt 2011-04-17 4:38 PM
2011-04-17 4:48 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

GO GET EM' KIM AND LINDA!!!!!   WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

and kim,  no stopping in wellesly.   ;-)

2011-04-17 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Guess who's not an Ice bath virgin anymore! :-)

I had a good run workout yesterday, and a swim. Then today I had a nice long hike to Hoover Dam and back. I knew my legs would be shot for tomorrow and I want it to be nice and at least fresh for tomorrow's run. So, I got my urge to do an ice bath.  Not as bad as I thought it would be, after screaming, and just getting in the water and no moving, I'm able to sit still for 15 minutes. As long as I don't open my legs (whoo, that was cold), I'm perfectly fine.  My feet hurt a lot more than the rest of my legs.   Added ice to it. While it's not a FULL ice bath, but it was cold enough for my first time.  Felt great after!!

Saddle - I also have Bontrager's Inform Saddle.  It's feels alright, and not as "curvy" as the Terry - it's more flatter, giving me more support, but I'm not 100% sold on it.    I can return it if I want to.  I may take up Suzy's offer and try the Cobb V-Flow. Worse thing that can happen, I can just resell it. :-)

Wish best of luck to Kim for her Boston Marathon!!

2011-04-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3451480

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
CyborgQueen - 2011-04-17 7:35 PM

I had a good run workout yesterday, and a swim. Then today I had a nice long hike to Hoover Dam and back. I knew my legs would be shot for tomorrow and I want it to be nice and at least fresh for tomorrow's run. So, I got my urge to do an ice bath.  Not as bad as I thought it would be, after screaming, and just getting in the water and no moving, I'm able to sit still for 15 minutes. As long as I don't open my legs (whoo, that was cold), I'm perfectly fine.  My feet hurt a lot more than the rest of my legs.   Added ice to it. While it's not a FULL ice bath, but it was cold enough for my first time.  Felt great after!!

Saddle - I also have Bontrager's Inform Saddle.  It's feels alright, and not as "curvy" as the Terry - it's more flatter, giving me more support, but I'm not 100% sold on it.    I can return it if I want to.  I may take up Suzy's offer and try the Cobb V-Flow. Worse thing that can happen, I can just resell it. :-)

DJ - This is SO FUNNY!  I did my first ever ice bath today, too!  Ryan kept making me move around though because it gets colder when you move.  Yuck.  I am still cold thinking about it...but I do feel better!

2011-04-17 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3451512

User image

Master
SoccerGK - 2011-04-17 5:56 PM
CyborgQueen - 2011-04-17 7:35 PM

DJ - This is SO FUNNY!  I did my first ever ice bath today, too!  Ryan kept making me move around though because it gets colder when you move.  Yuck.  I am still cold thinking about it...but I do feel better!

My girlfriend recommends doing the ice bath in your shorts (like tri shorts) and neoprene booties if you  have 'em!! Definitely a sweatshirt on top and a cup of tea in the hands... (Says she who won't do ice baths, but has tried!) I WILL do "lake baths" in cold water. Dunked the legs in Lake Coeur d'Alene at training camp after every workout last year. Cold as #*$ but good for the legs for sure!!

2011-04-17 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3451294

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
bfwhitt - 2011-04-17 5:36 PM

Jayne - thanks for the link as well, I think hydration had something to do with the cramping, ran after my ride today and no issues, so between proper pedaling and hydrating seemed my calves were happy.

BTW I think your willpower, ambition and resolve are hanging out at the local bar with my motivation and confidence. Think they just needed a little break and some fun...they will be back. Cool

The mojo was workin' today.  Finally got out for my run at 8pm.  Logged a new PR for 3.1 mi.  Going to break through and get under 30 min SOON!!

A suggestion for those windy days . . .  Ride with the wind at your back and call someone to pick you up when you finish :-)  

2011-04-17 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Had one of those suck it up days today.  Got some of Suzy's weather from yesterday.  2 hour run with 20 mph winds gusting to 30 mph.  Rain for about 5 of those miles.  Seems like after the first 3 miles, I was into the wind the rst of the time.  Glad that one is done!

George

2011-04-17 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3450587

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
dalessit - 2011-04-16 8:44 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-16 7:47 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-16 6:31 PM

I can honestly say I had a lot of fun today.....see for yourself!  Now it's time to celebrate at a new restaurant with some bodacious red wine!!!

PS. George, when you have no kids you can actually get a race report within 8 hours of the event! And I was waiting for the official results to come out before spilling the beans.

nice a/g win young lady!!!   enjoy dinner and wrestling.

HA, I have kids and I put my RR up so there : P

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248598

EDIT: Also I am always down on myself in RR's.  This ended up being a 9 minute PR at Oly distance so I shouldn't complain.

You and Sam aren't playing enough trivial pursuit!!

9 min PR is awesome - congrats!

2011-04-17 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

So I had a 3 mile run today, and my knee felt pretty good until about .1 miles left.  So I just walked the rest of the way. 

And this has me totally freaking out about my HIM coming up in July.  At what point do the events start feeling cohesive?  At what point should I be able to swim 1.2 miles continuously?  And can I build up safely to 13.1 miles on my knee in this time?  Should I just sell my HIM bib so that I could (a) do the sprint instead the day before, (b) have enough money to do another sprint/oly this summer with the money saved, (c) watch Ryan on-course for the HIM, and (d) rest my knee a while longer?  Am I in over my head?

Okay, sorry about the craziness, but this has just been bugging me all day, and I have exams coming up to think about... ugh!

2011-04-17 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3451621

User image

Master
Sin City
jfought - 2011-04-17 7:15 PM
bfwhitt - 2011-04-17 5:36 PM

The mojo was workin' today.  Finally got out for my run at 8pm.  Logged a new PR for 3.1 mi.  Going to break through and get under 30 min SOON!!

A suggestion for those windy days . . .  Ride with the wind at your back and call someone to pick you up when you finish :-)  

SWEET!! 

I'm ALSO looking forward in trying to do sub 30 min 5K. I'll get there!! :-)

2011-04-17 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3451480

User image

Master
Sin City
CyborgQueen - 2011-04-17 5:35 PM

*slaps head*  that could be taken in the wrong way...whoa....bad choice of words. LOL!!!  Sorry Folks!

2011-04-18 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3451738

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
SoccerGK - 2011-04-17 11:09 PM

So I had a 3 mile run today, and my knee felt pretty good until about .1 miles left.  So I just walked the rest of the way. 

And this has me totally freaking out about my HIM coming up in July.  At what point do the events start feeling cohesive?  At what point should I be able to swim 1.2 miles continuously?  And can I build up safely to 13.1 miles on my knee in this time?  Should I just sell my HIM bib so that I could (a) do the sprint instead the day before, (b) have enough money to do another sprint/oly this summer with the money saved, (c) watch Ryan on-course for the HIM, and (d) rest my knee a while longer?  Am I in over my head?

Okay, sorry about the craziness, but this has just been bugging me all day, and I have exams coming up to think about... ugh!

WOAH!  How about some deep breathing?

1. Are you following the plan you published to the MG?  If so, trust it.  You have plenty of time to get ready assuming you can get your body in order.

2. Are you still seeing a PT for that knee?  Seriously, if you don't identify why it happened in the first place, you're may get better, but your'e NOT going to stay that way.  You mentioned you were still planning to do rides when you're not sure you're bike is set up correctly.  Really?  Why risk it?  Doing 1, 1.5 hours on a bad set up with a injury isn't smart. 

Erica, you're young.  You have a long tri career ahead of you....give your body the best shot of performing well by getting healthy first....my two cents.  I won't harp again because I get the feeling you know where I stand.

2011-04-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3451738

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

SoccerGK - 2011-04-17 11:09 PM  And this has me totally freaking out about my HIM coming up in July.  At what point do the events start feeling cohesive?  At what point should I be able to swim 1.2 miles continuously?  And can I build up safely to 13.1 miles on my knee in this time?  Should I just sell my HIM bib so that I could (a) do the sprint instead the day before, (b) have enough money to do another sprint/oly this summer with the money saved, (c) watch Ryan on-course for the HIM, and (d) rest my knee a while longer?  Am I in over my head?

I'm with Suzy on this one.  Take a deep breath first.  Laughing 

Then, IMO, your next priority is to get a handle your health/injuries/fit/pains, etc.  In the end, that is really why we all do this .... to have fun and stay healthy (and/or eat anything you want according to Birdy!)  Plus, you have to be healthy to train or you are just going to make things worse.  This is going to be the key in making any racing decision.  

Thirdly, then evaluate your racing situation and schedule for the year.  As of today, you have 13 weeks till your race in July, which is enough time to get the training in to be able to complete without any issues.  There are plenty of people looking for bibs for the Door County 1/2, so selling it will not be an issue if you decide in the next couple of weeks that you can't play.     

2011-04-18 7:49 AM

User image

Expert

First outside ride of the year and the first ride ever on a TRI bike outside ever. I only went for a half hour not because of my lower body but because of my upper  body. My hands, arms and especially my neck is so sore. I was fitted for the bike so I know that's not the issue. It's just getting used to riding in the new position. I don't have a trainer so there was no indoor build up. On the positive side I effortlessly did 8.5 miles and stay completely in zones one and two minus one big hill where I peaked into zone 4 and then back down again. Clipping and up-clipping came quite naturally as did cornering. I really concentrated on my form and felt like my strokes were very efficient. My average cadence was 82 which is slightly lower than what I wanted but for a first effort and not being completely familiar with how I wanted to work my gears I was happy. 

My training partner also on his bike for the first time had all the same complaints. Any tips on relaxing especially with the neck? Forearms are also sore but I think that was from gripping too hard.

2011-04-18 7:56 AM

User image

Didn't see this posted....Kim is #10300.

Anyone know Linda's number?

Edited by Havin'Fun 2011-04-18 7:57 AM
2011-04-18 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3451994

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-18 8:56 AM

Didn't see this posted....Kim is #10300.

Anyone know Linda's number?

She doesn't need a bib number for the marathon she's running this morning!!!!

I hope (and will prod her offline until she does) Linda will come up here this afternoon and give everyone here some details.  In the meantime stop by her training log for a hint of whats going on.

Linda is simply an amazing person.  I am so freakin' proud of her and so inspired by her. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298