BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-05 3:39 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by tigrrruns Wow! This is a very talkative group! Thank you to all for the warm welcome. I have a bike trainer and will be getting on my bike within the next week -- getting it taken apart and cleaned and have 2 spinning classes scheduled in the mean time. And without further ado, here are my shoes! If I can figure out how to do this...

Nice.  It has been decided that neon and pastel colors are faster than others.  They're lighter colors, which means they weigh less, right?

DEFINITELY  

(says the girl with light blue shoes with bright green Yankz...  GO SEAHAWKS!!

2014-06-05 3:54 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

Those are some pretty awesome kicks, Emily!!

Yeah, we do tend to get a bit chatty, and as noted previously, we do manage to bring it back to tri-related stuff like how much faster bright shoes are.  I'll admit, I'm a little to blame when things go off-topic.  I bear no responsibility, however, for pictures of people riding ostriches bareback.  (That was a few pages back and actually started with a discussion of bike saddles, in case you missed it.)  That one went off the rails with no help from me whatsoever!

Monica, YAY on the in-person interview!!!  So excited for you!!!

2014-06-05 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
But surely, black are slimming (?)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (222KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-05 4:24 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

Yeah, we do tend to get a bit chatty, and as noted previously, we do manage to bring it back to tri-related stuff like how much faster bright shoes are.  I'll admit, I'm a little to blame when things go off-topic.  I bear no responsibility, however, for pictures of people riding ostriches bareback.  (That was a few pages back and actually started with a discussion of bike saddles, in case you missed it.)  That one went off the rails with no help from me whatsoever!

Hahaha!!!  "Tend to get a bit chatty"... that's totally this group!  But, that's also why I love it, and why I like to think I fit in so well here.   

Eeeeeek - thank you!  I'm trying to nail down a date SOON as the flight prices are skyrocketing right now and they're on the verge of me not being able to do the interview until the end of the month.  I'm NOT spending $1000 just to fly to Austin for an interview.  Also... my current place has said that they think it could work for me to work remotely!!  So... I should know within a couple of days whether or not the board will approve it and I'll either keep working for my current firm, but from home (in Austin), or for a new place in Austin.  Exciting times!!   

2014-06-05 4:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Here are my two running shoes.

Blue with grey lock laces. Old pair of blue has blue lock laces for my days in the gym.

Green Pair has black lock laces.

Edited by jbwills 2014-06-05 4:27 PM

(mens-brooks-glycerin-11-classic-green-anthracite-white-3.jpg)

(brooks-glycerin-11-azul-b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mens-brooks-glycerin-11-classic-green-anthracite-white-3.jpg (33KB - 5 downloads)
brooks-glycerin-11-azul-b.jpg (96KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-05 4:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hahaha!!!  "Tend to get a bit chatty"... that's totally this group!  But, that's also why I love it, and why I like to think I fit in so well here.   

Eeeeeek - thank you!  I'm trying to nail down a date SOON as the flight prices are skyrocketing right now and they're on the verge of me not being able to do the interview until the end of the month.  I'm NOT spending $1000 just to fly to Austin for an interview.  Also... my current place has said that they think it could work for me to work remotely!!  So... I should know within a couple of days whether or not the board will approve it and I'll either keep working for my current firm, but from home (in Austin), or for a new place in Austin.  Exciting times!!   

Wait, they're not paying to fly you there for the interview??  Guess it depends on the size of the firm, but still...

2014-06-05 5:01 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills Here are my two running shoes. Blue with grey lock laces. Old pair of blue has blue lock laces for my days in the gym. Green Pair has black lock laces.

Mine are boring flat grey with royal blue swooshes.  No wonder I'm so slow - my swooshes trudge.  They even slow me down on my bike (don't currently wear cycling shoes).  My chain ring and my shoe lace got into an argument recently when I was out for a ride.  Fortunately I pulled my foot free before I fell off.  Now I make sure the laces are well tucked in before venturing out.  I have some Yankz but am saving them for the new shoes I'm hoping to get this month.  Maybe they'll be faster....

2014-06-05 5:11 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Originally posted by tigrrruns Wow! This is a very talkative group! Thank you to all for the warm welcome. I have a bike trainer and will be getting on my bike within the next week -- getting it taken apart and cleaned and have 2 spinning classes scheduled in the mean time. And without further ado, here are my shoes! If I can figure out how to do this...

Nice.  It has been decided that neon and pastel colors are faster than others.  They're lighter colors, which means they weigh less, right?

Does that mean my plain white trainers are the fastest ? or do shades not count as light colours?

Is it weird that I still have all my baby teeth in an envelope in the back of my "man drawer" ?Going rate when I was young was about 50p (<$1)
2014-06-05 5:36 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by SteveyD

Does that mean my plain white trainers are the fastest ? or do shades not count as light colours? Is it weird that I still have all my baby teeth in an envelope in the back of my "man drawer" ?Going rate when I was young was about 50p (<$1)

Does the tooth fairy not come to your side of the pond??  She took all the teeth I put under my pillow, paid me, and gave the teeth to my dad.  She even retrieved the tooth that fell down the drain, although I don't think she gave that one back...  My brother, on the other hand, got a potato and a radish from her instead of money when he said he didn't believe in her.  He didn't get his money until he wrote an apology note.  (true story)

2014-06-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jbwills Here are my two running shoes. Blue with grey lock laces. Old pair of blue has blue lock laces for my days in the gym. Green Pair has black lock laces.

Mine are boring flat grey with royal blue swooshes.  No wonder I'm so slow - my swooshes trudge.  They even slow me down on my bike (don't currently wear cycling shoes).  My chain ring and my shoe lace got into an argument recently when I was out for a ride.  Fortunately I pulled my foot free before I fell off.  Now I make sure the laces are well tucked in before venturing out.  I have some Yankz but am saving them for the new shoes I'm hoping to get this month.  Maybe they'll be faster....

Since we're comparing.... Loves my Pure Connects

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1051KB - 5 downloads)
2014-06-05 6:39 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr But surely, black are slimming (?)

Stealthy!

2014-06-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr But surely, black are slimming (?)

Stealthy!

and sexeh....

2014-06-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Excuse my ignorance but what's with the odd pair out? Are they your trail runners.

On another note you have made me feel totally ok about the fact that even though Phil is picking me up a new pair of Adrenalines while he is in Indianapolis I can still go and get a pair this afternoon because the 13s are now on sale here for $70 off (making them only slightly more than what they are in the US).
2014-06-05 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Yes, those are my trail runners. I actually have so many because whenever I see the 2's in my size I snag them up because I don't like the 3's
2014-06-05 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Talk of DH and DS2 and such reminded me that this might be helpful:

Manatee Glossary

Just a helpful little list, in case you see a word or name that doesn't seem to fit in. Fachmie, that sure clears things up!

2014-06-05 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welcome and welcome back new and returning pod members!

So many posts, so little time at the moment.  Will catch up this weekend (I hope).

Have the HIM in Grand Rapids on Sunday.  Hoping that one can use an aggressive taper to make up for a lack of training.    Could be GRIM!

As for shoes, my race shoes are orange.  Or orange… or… wait for it… orange.

Unless they're my bike shoes, then they're actually what my kids call "Pope shoes" (S-works in pull-me-over-red).

All in, gotta have some splash in my shoes - unless they're my LSD ones (which are oddly enough not at all psychedelic).

OK, back to getting the house ready to sell and packing for this race.  AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!  (in a good way).

Matt

2014-06-05 7:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Welcome and welcome back new and returning pod members!

So many posts, so little time at the moment.  Will catch up this weekend (I hope).

Have the HIM in Grand Rapids on Sunday.  Hoping that one can use an aggressive taper to make up for a lack of training.    Could be GRIM!

As for shoes, my race shoes are orange.  Or orange… or… wait for it… orange.

Unless they're my bike shoes, then they're actually what my kids call "Pope shoes" (S-works in pull-me-over-red).

All in, gotta have some splash in my shoes - unless they're my LSD ones (which are oddly enough not at all psychedelic).

OK, back to getting the house ready to sell and packing for this race.  AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!  (in a good way).

Matt

Matt, I was thinking of you as I re-cabled my bike today. All orange to go with the new orange bar tape. It'll match up nice with my tri-suit. I may not be fast, but at least I'll look like I am 

Edited by cdban66 2014-06-05 7:45 PM
2014-06-05 10:35 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

DEFINITELY  

(says the girl with light blue shoes with bright green Yankz...  GO SEAHAWKS!!

Red is the fastest. Maybe consider adding some as you do like to bike more? 

2014-06-05 11:02 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by rrrunner

Excuse my ignorance but what's with the odd pair out? Are they your trail runners. On another note you have made me feel totally ok about the fact that even though Phil is picking me up a new pair of Adrenalines while he is in Indianapolis I can still go and get a pair this afternoon because the 13s are now on sale here for $70 off (making them only slightly more than what they are in the US).

Just as well, the cheapest I could find them here for were $120. It's a hit or miss thing; I pretty much troll the stores every few months and see what's cheap, never gonna be the same thing.

2014-06-06 7:04 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando
I was feeling embarrassed about the number of running shoes I have until I saw TJ's picture!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (984KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-06 7:40 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

New user

Miami, Florida
NAME: Ro (Rosemary) Bolton
STORY: I've been a Bible translator for the past 28 years and during a lot of this time went up and down in weight after coming here a bit underweight. The weight always went up every few years when I went on furlough to the States. Over the years it got harder and harder to lose it until in January 2008 I returned to the States for furlough weighing about 190 lbs. (90 kilos) and knew if I gained the way I always did I'd be in trouble. I started swimming every day for 1/2 hour in an unheated pool in winter. It was Miami but still pretty cold. But walking hurt my back with all that extra weight.
A couple of weeks later I had a medical check-up and my doctor said I had fat around my liver. That started me researching how to eat healthier which led to learning more about exercise and strength training. Before I returned to Indonesia in May I'd lost 30 lbs. and I lost another 30 lbs. that year after I returned through walking, strength training, with a little swimming and cycling.
One day riding my bike to the pool I started thinking about doing a triathlon. I had to Google triathlon when I got home to find out what one was. I may have gotten the idea from the Indonesian edition of Fitness magazine which advertised the Bali Triathlon which became my first triathlon in 2010. What a great way to keep the weight off! In March I did my 6th triathlon and have done 2 half marathons and 2 metric century bike rides as well.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm single but have a family living with me. She's from the village where I work and lived with me before she got married. She and her husband moved in with their daughter just before the daughter was 2 months old so I've enjoyed being oma, seeing how bilingual I can make Jo and how young she'll be when she does her first triathlon. She's my training partner though she bikes while I run and isn't ready yet to join me when I bike.

CURRENT TRAINING: I always try to maintain swim, bike, and run fitness. Since it's rainy season in Ambon, where I live, I'm enjoying a swim emphasis for a couple of months.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I'm not signed up for anything but did the Sungailiat Tri in March and my first swim meet on June 1.

BODY COMPOSITION: Since I haven't been training as hard for the last couple of years 10-15 lbs have crept back on and I'm fighting to get rid of them. I've lost 4-5 but still have at least another 10 to go.

2014-06-06 8:13 AM
in reply to: robolton

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Rosemary!!

2014-06-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm seeing a lot of Brooks love in the shoe pics.  I'm mostly a Brooks gal, too.  The exceptions were my trail shoes which I used to love Adidas response until I discovered Brooks Cascadia; the other exception being the Pearl Izumi [somelettersandnumbers] that I use for racing sockless.  I wear Ghosts.

2014-06-06 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Ro!

2014-06-06 8:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

WELCOME RORO

I noticed you didn't admit to knowing me, but I don't blame ya either

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.