Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by BrotherTri

I had my shoulder MRI this afternoon.  Hoping the Dr can make an appointment opening for me on Friday so I don't have to wonder about the results over the weekend.

Hey Jim crossing fingers. How is it been feeling?

Still fairly painful but now more of a dull ache.  ROM may have improved about 10% the past week or so.  Its getting a little old to deal with but others have dealt with stuff light years more serious than this.  Thanks for asking!

Hey Jim, I hope things work out well for you and you don't have to wonder all weekend.  I watched Tab suffer with her shoulder and it wasn't nice.

x2. I hate waiting for Dr results :-( Best of luck Jim
Yeah, good luck with that, Jim.

2015-02-05 7:26 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

No it's right I am pretty sure. I peddle harder and over the 275w CT load. Remember i am using the CS software 1.6 on a laptop. I am not just using the the CT head unit. The last Calibration on the CT was 2.01 and that was about 10' in. I did a total of 3. How is your CT setup? What software vers and program are you using?

EDIT

Here is the Garmin file

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/690096546

I use the racermate coaching software.
I am 99% sure your CT and PT are not in sync, but whatever. Pick one and stick with it.

I can guarantee you one thing : If you program erg mode to 275watts, you cannot do 290w. You cannot. If you can, you are not running in erg mode or your CT isn't working.

In erg mode, you are pedalling at 275w, 80 cadence. You "increase" the effort to 85 cadence. The CT will drop the resistance very slightly to maintain the 275. It keeps it in a pretty tight range. It will go from 275 to 290, but it will be back to 275 pretty quickly.

When you finish the ride, the CT software shows you an average power for the ride ?
Does it equal the average power on the Garmin. My guess is no, it doesn't.

Your CT may be reading low.

Based on your files, your CP is set to low IF YOU ARE MEASURING WITH THE PT. But if you start programming your erg files based on the new number you will probably see the rides are going to become very diffiicult.

Marc when I open the Racemate CS ver1.6 I go to course selection and open the erg file. When I do than the spin scan function is disabled. I do not know if this is a true erg mode or not. I just use that file for the load (resistance). I don't know if this is right or wrong. The only thing I am reading is the PT. The PT Is what I am following and recording.
2015-02-05 7:27 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran

No it's right I am pretty sure. I peddle harder and over the 275w CT load. Remember i am using the CS software 1.6 on a laptop. I am not just using the the CT head unit. The last Calibration on the CT was 2.01 and that was about 10' in. I did a total of 3. How is your CT setup? What software vers and program are you using?

EDIT

Here is the Garmin file

I am 99% sure your CT and PT are not in sync, but whatever. Pick one and stick with it.

I can guarantee you one thing : If you program erg mode to 275watts, you cannot do 290w. You cannot. If you can, you are not running in erg mode or your CT isn't working.

In erg mode, you are pedalling at 275w, 80 cadence. You "increase" the effort to 85 cadence. The CT will drop the resistance very slightly to maintain the 275. It keeps it in a pretty tight range. It will go from 275 to 290, but it will be back to 275 pretty quickly.

When you finish the ride, the CT software shows you an average power for the ride ?

Based on your files, your CP is set to low IF YOU ARE MEASURING WITH THE PT. But if you start programming your erg files based on the new number you will probably see the rides are going to become very diffiicult.

Marc when I open the Racemate CS ver1.6 I go to course selection and open the erg file. When I do than the spin scan function is disabled. I do not know if this is a true erg mode or not. I just use that file for the load (resistance). I don't know if this is right or wrong. The only thing I am reading is the PT. The PT Is what I am following and recording.

what did you test and set your ftp with ? CT or pT ?
2015-02-05 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Maybe this is a dumb question, by why not just ride in non-erg mode (whatever that's called) and work on holding steady power based on what your PT is reading?  For those of us with "dumb" trainers, we just shift into harder gears for working intervals and easier gears for recovery intervals.

Seems that the CT and PT are not reading the same (not even really within an acceptable error), so until that's all worked out, rides should not be created for the CT erg mode and then analyzed with the PT output or it really doesn't make sense....not to mention, as Marc noted, the CT should force you to a given power regardless of cadence or anything else. 

Sometimes I'm grateful for my "dumb" trainer and single power meter

2015-02-05 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

EDIT

Here is the Garmin file

what did you test and set your ftp with ? CT or pT ?

The CT. The 1st 20' only and that ramp test I didn't have the PT yet. The 2nd 5' and 20' test the battey died on the PT for the 5' test so I used the CT power number 329w and the 20' test the PT was read 70w higher than the CT. So again I used the CT 20' test power number 288w. The CT and PT numbers are the same when I push 150 it's in the 150's for both and etc... I will do another 5' and 20' soon and will use the PT. I can probably do the 5' this weekend at the beginning of the workout. Would that be ok? Maybe Sunday that will give me a day from my next Vo2 max on Friday. Thenjoy Tuesday I'll do the 20' test. The PT is working fine now after the battery replacement and reinstalling in the 910xt. Sound like a plan.
2015-02-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I ran on the treadmill this morning, I hope my knee doesn't end up exploding as a result.  Yes I am ashamed.  There is just soooo much snow that I don't know where I can run outside!

Are there any regularly groomed cross country ski trails you can run on? I assume you can't run elsewhere because the snow is deep and you post-hole? 

I'll be ok within a couple of days.  It's just the 27 inches of snow that we got yesterday so there are basically no usable sidewalks in the city.  Another dump of snow on Friday won't help...

Now I'm just jealous

Well, if it makes you feel better, we'll be having this terrible stretch of 70's and sunny coming up.

OMG, so glad you posted this!  I'm seeing lows in the 50's and highs in the 60's to 70's for the next 10 or so days.  Maybe I'll even ride outside (will be my first outdoor ride since September!!!).

-13F here this morning. Actually seems nice out. Everything so quiet with all the snow we have now.

2015-02-05 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Maybe this is a dumb question, by why not just ride in non-erg mode (whatever that's called) and work on holding steady power based on what your PT is reading?  For those of us with "dumb" trainers, we just shift into harder gears for working intervals and easier gears for recovery intervals.

Seems that the CT and PT are not reading the same (not even really within an acceptable error), so until that's all worked out, rides should not be created for the CT erg mode and then analyzed with the PT output or it really doesn't make sense....not to mention, as Marc noted, the CT should force you to a given power regardless of cadence or anything else. 

I was doing that. I was not not very accurate at the paceing thou. The power would real high then drop way low. Maybe I just need practice. I think the way I am running this erg file now I am pacing smoother. I really don't think it is wrong. Maybe it's not in the ture erg mode.

2015-02-05 8:21 AM

Master
Northern IL

I was doing that. I was not not very accurate at the paceing thou. The power would real high then drop way low. Maybe I just need practice. I think the way I am running this erg file now I am pacing smoother. I really don't think it is wrong. Maybe it's not in the ture erg mode.

From time to time it might help to do so, but most of the time just do what you need to get the work in.

2015-02-05 8:40 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

From time to time it might help to do so, but most of the time just do what you need to get the work in.

Ben this is what I have been thinking for awhile now. The PT is working great now and I trust the numbers. It gives me way more data than the CT software did. The CT software is old, 6 or 7 years now. I am not investing in new software for it. I think it was always very limited or I just don't know how to use it to it's full potential. So right now it's just a load meter. I even thought about sell it and getting another trainer.

2015-02-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I had my shoulder MRI this afternoon.  Hoping the Dr can make an appointment opening for me on Friday so I don't have to wonder about the results over the weekend.

Still fairly painful but now more of a dull ache.  ROM may have improved about 10% the past week or so.  Its getting a little old to deal with but others have dealt with stuff light years more serious than this.  Thanks for asking!

Good luck with the prognosis, Jim - keep us posted. I agree - it is the not-knowing exactly what is going on that is the worst. Once you do you can put together a  plan of attack and execute it - most of us are good at that bit, but we are terrible about the figuring-it-out part.

2015-02-05 8:55 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I ran on the treadmill this morning, I hope my knee doesn't end up exploding as a result.  Yes I am ashamed.  There is just soooo much snow that I don't know where I can run outside!

Are there any regularly groomed cross country ski trails you can run on? I assume you can't run elsewhere because the snow is deep and you post-hole? 

I'll be ok within a couple of days.  It's just the 27 inches of snow that we got yesterday so there are basically no usable sidewalks in the city.  Another dump of snow on Friday won't help...

Now I'm just jealous

Well, if it makes you feel better, we'll be having this terrible stretch of 70's and sunny coming up.

OMG, so glad you posted this!  I'm seeing lows in the 50's and highs in the 60's to 70's for the next 10 or so days.  Maybe I'll even ride outside (will be my first outdoor ride since September!!!).

-13F here this morning. Actually seems nice out. Everything so quiet with all the snow we have now.

Ben - I absolutely love, love, love snow silence. We don't get much of that here. Had to face a few below-freezing bike rides the past couple of weeks, but today the weather is turning and should have mid 60s by the weekend. I have a 12 mile trail race on Sunday, so I actually am hoping for a little cooler than that even.

2015-02-05 9:18 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

You have that right, Nicole. The only thing worse than having 2 power meters is having 3! I run a Quarq on my road bike, vectors on my TT bike, and when I want to do structured intervals I use a kickr to provide the load. Each of them are a little off from the other, but I may have figured out my issue - I just haven't had a chance to actually corroborate all three with one another.  One cool thing that Wahoo is about to release as a firmware update is the ability for your ANT+ power meter to control the load the Kickr is generating rather than the power meter built in to the kickr itself - it seems this is a much better way to implement ERG mode to me if you already have a power meter on the bike.

2015-02-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Jason N

Power numbers seem back on track based on yesterday's interval workout.  45 days left on my Quarq warranty...part of me was hoping it was broken so I could get a free upgrade to a Riken, and part of me is just glad it's reliable again so I don't have to worry about any potential differences with a new PM.  Knock on wood, but this 975 has been extremely good for me outside of a few scenarios and I suppose that's all you can ask out of a PM.

Jason - you are definitely one of the lucky ones with the the 975 - I had 3 of them replaced before Quarq gave me a Riken. My wife's 975 has been rock-solid for almost 4 years now, so who knows, right?! A few months ago I began to have similar issues with my Riken that you were experiencing and did the same thing: took it apart, cleaned everything, re-greased and re-torqued the bolts, and after a hard ride in the mountains everything was right as rain. Funny how we actually have to do a little maintenance on our equipment every now and again for it to work properly - heh.

The "funny" thing is that now that I have done that, the one time I rode it with my Kickr since then is that the power numbers were within 1 watt of each other: the kickr had historically been about 8~10w too high, or now maybe I should thing the quarq was that much too low? Who really knows. I know someone mentioned Segal's Law here recently (A man with two watches...) and it really is apropos. 

One of these days soon I am going to make the time to try both he vectors and the Quarq on the Kickr again just to see if there is still any significant offset between the three.

2015-02-05 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Why not use a 30s average on your screen if you have that much fluctuation?

The best part of only having one PM is that you have nothing to compare it too, thus its always right .  On a serious note, I have never had any noticeable issue with my Powertap G3 - always seems to be consistent from ride to ride.

2015-02-05 10:14 AM

User image

I'm with this. I use the CT only in erg mode. No pt to compare it to, no download and file analysis. I don't even turn the computer on other than to watch something on amazon prime. I am sure I am missing something but this is what I did last year and it got me to within 1 minute of Bryan dunn in milwaukee so it seems to work. I think we can tend to get caught up in analysis paralysis when all we really need to do us just pedal the bike. Hard.
2015-02-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
NJ

Hey Jim, I hope things work out well for you and you don't have to wonder all weekend.  I watched Tab suffer with her shoulder and it wasn't nice.

Jim, hope you get results quickly and a good prognosis. My experience with shoulder issues has been that ROM improvements can be slow (comparatively) but continue for a long time. Good luck.

2015-02-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri I need want to get a new Garmin for the PowerTap. I originally wanted a Garmin 810 with the navigation bundle but I am thinking something cheaper like the Garmin 500. I think Jason use that anybody else use a Garmin 500. Also on the 500 what is the max fields on one screen and how many screens does it display?

Tab and I use a 500 as well, I think it's great.  It's nice and small and it just works. Off the top of my head I think it can display 8 fields and up to 5 screens?  8 fields makes things pretty tough to see though - I have one setup like that but it's more of an overall summary page that I look at at the end of a ride.

I used the 500 for 4 years and it worked great. I upgraded to the 510 several months ago and really like it. Considering i ride about 12x per week with commuting, the Bluetooth uploads are priceless. Also the glonass gps is extremely accurate in low line of sight areas which is a factor for me sometimes. The touchscreen is good and bad...sometimes I would just prefer buttons to scroll, but overall I'm happy with it. I wouldn't pay retail price though...i think i got a good deal at 25% off.
2015-02-05 11:18 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ben - Rusty beat me to the snow-silence comment.  It's one of the things I honestly miss about living in the south now (but not enough to take the pounding my friends and family back in New England or north have gotten the past month).  Maybe I just need to visit... 

Nicole - Rusty beat me to the trainer comment (I don't like this "Rusty beat me" trend - I'll have to avoid racing you or James this year!).  I also have a dumb one and have come to enjoy trying to hit a number during an interval.  Not sure it helps pass the time, but I'm trying to convince myself of it!  That said, I've been eyeing those fancy trainers for some time.  Once we move (again!), I might set up a pain-cave and get a smarter one.

I've actually had really good luck with Quarg's - on my roadie and tri bike (I think both are 975's, but now want to go home and look!) have been rock solid for a couple years since I got them.  Must have gotten one of the early "good batches."

Jim - Rusty... Oh, heck, everyone beat me, but I'm also crossing fingers for you.  Shoulders can be a beyotch, so I hope yours is nothing major.  Good news is that they can come back from most anything - just different amounts of time depending.  Again, fingers crossed for it being only a niggle/wonk.

I use an 800 and Kim uses the 500.  I've "borrowed" hers on occasion (think, "I forgot to charge mine") and really like it.  I rarely use the map function on the 800, so the 500 is good.  Wireless upload would be nice, though.

Matt

2015-02-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran

I guess my opinion on the fancy trainers is :

a) You definitely don't need one to get faster
b) They do require an investment in time to learn how to use them properly
c) There is absolute value in using them to the fullest of their capabilities
d) If you are not willing to invest the time to optimize their use, don't waste your money buying one, because remember a)

Many people don't have the time or interest in b. That's fine, but to buy a $1500 device to use it like a $400 device, is strange IMO.

2015-02-05 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ben this is what I have been thinking for awhile now. The PT is working great now and I trust the numbers. It gives me way more data than the CT software did. The CT software is old, 6 or 7 years now. I am not investing in new software for it. I think it was always very limited or I just don't know how to use it to it's full potential. So right now it's just a load meter. I even thought about sell it and getting another trainer.

Suggestion : ditch the RM software and control the CT through GC. Your life will be much simpler and the capabilities much greater.
2015-02-05 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

I guess my opinion on the fancy trainers is :

a) You definitely don't need one to get faster
b) They do require an investment in time to learn how to use them properly
c) There is absolute value in using them to the fullest of their capabilities
d) If you are not willing to invest the time to optimize their use, don't waste your money buying one, because remember a)

Many people don't have the time or interest in b. That's fine, but to buy a $1500 device to use it like a $400 device, is strange IMO.

I use to use the CT 3D courses and videos all the time. I just grew tired of those. Sure doesn't mean I didn't get my moneys worth. Their really is not any reason I can't use it the way I am. Matter of fact I enjoy the way I am using it. It is really not a wrong way to use it. I am not having a coach prescribe a work out as the case for a erg file. I wanted to try the way you use it sorry I cant figure that out.

2015-02-05 2:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag I guess my opinion on the fancy trainers is : a) You definitely don't need one to get faster b) They do require an investment in time to learn how to use them properly c) There is absolute value in using them to the fullest of their capabilities d) If you are not willing to invest the time to optimize their use, don't waste your money buying one, because remember a) Many people don't have the time or interest in b. That's fine, but to buy a $1500 device to use it like a $400 device, is strange IMO.
I use to use the CT 3D courses and videos all the time. I just grew tired of those. Sure doesn't mean I didn't get my moneys worth. Their really is not any reason I can't use it the way I am. Matter of fact I enjoy the way I am using it. It is really not a wrong way to use it. I am not having a coach prescribe a work out as the case for a erg file. I wanted to try the way you use it sorry I cant figure that out.

I'm not sure I am using it "right" either     But I have certainly gotten results from doing it that way.  I don't think when I bought mine there were the options there are now for power on the trainer, the CT was it.

2015-02-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

So , just for discussion sake....

I use my CT in erg mode with just the head unit and manually program in the wattage during the workout, given by Shane.  I get off the bike and report to Shane I did the workout as given

What additional steps can I /should I be taking, and what will those steps do for my training?

Honestly curious as if there is something that will make a dramatic difference that I am not doing, I would certainly consider it (within the confines of my limited technical computer abilities and patience levels).  I like data as much as the next guy or girl, but frankly I usually forget to even turn strava on my phone before a ride

2015-02-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by marcag I guess my opinion on the fancy trainers is : a) You definitely don't need one to get faster b) They do require an investment in time to learn how to use them properly c) There is absolute value in using them to the fullest of their capabilities d) If you are not willing to invest the time to optimize their use, don't waste your money buying one, because remember a) Many people don't have the time or interest in b. That's fine, but to buy a $1500 device to use it like a $400 device, is strange IMO.

I'm not sure I am using it "right" either     But I have certainly gotten results from doing it that way.  I don't think when I bought mine there were the options there are now for power on the trainer, the CT was it.

Just an example

If your CT was connected to a computer with GC

In 30 seconds, the 5' 60%, 8x4'at 110%.... that Shane gives you s programmed into a mrc file and you press go.
No more futzing with buttons during the ride. The exact load is applied at the exact time. No click click click to get to a high load on a 30s interval to click click click back once oompleted, 10x :-) No looking for the right gear/cadence. It's in autopilot
At the end three mouse clicks (exactly 3) and your workout is uploaded to TP
At any time during the ride if you are feeling good or bad, press one button and it raises the whole workout a notch (or brings it down)

PS: two more clicks and it's on Strava.

PPS : to point "use it properly" I should have said "use it to it's fullest"

Edited by marcag 2015-02-05 3:20 PM
2015-02-05 3:25 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

Chris you are using it correctly. You are just controlling it with the head unit manually. Nothing wrong with that. The coaching software was designed to load a given file and do the prescribed workout as written.

Apparently the way I am doing it I am missing a step that Marc does differently. That is why I am able to go over the watts his method i should not be able to. I just haven't figured the way he is doing it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).