BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-26 6:26 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by TXTriRook I get the proper running form with your feet landing directly below you and having been working on that for some time now, I feel pretty good about that aspect of my form. I find when I watch videos/other runners that blow by me, while it's definitely a combo of stride and cadence, I was thinking I should put some time into lengthening my stride for my never-ending attempt of running faster. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Looking directly at stride length is a bit misguided as that is the result or outcome of a number of other things. One of which that hasn't been brought up is that you'll actually have both feet of the ground a fair amount of time. Stride length gets longer because you're bounding farther even though your feet are still just making contact mostly right under you.

Keep looking at form or motion or however you best understand it in how well you're moving. It's not something you can always see. A lot of times you can't, even if an expert. It's more developing a feel. This comes up in/around training montages in lots of movies when the protagonist can have their breakthrough moment.

Take a good look at what you're doing. I get a little warm-up before every single run. Mostly knee driving skips and some kicks. Leg swings can fall into this too, but I've liked moving around more. These would be if I was really stiff/sore, and then get into my normal stuff. Then muscles are used to firing throughout the entire running range of motion for every step of the run.

Run more. Look at more often first. You're only running twice a week, and occasionally 3. Frequency matters considerably when developing things like feel and making a motion more normal. This can also help with the range of motion that things like yoga or other flexibility suggestions were aimed at. You need to power throughout the range and need the kinetic chain you're using while running firing off too. 

Running is mostly easy, but still sometimes hard. Consider what you're doing with harder runs. Is any of it about just feeling more smooth when going faster? A lot of people do need to have kind of an "aha!" type moment with this because moving faster shouldn't be hard at the outset. I've also found that getting in little bits at least somewhat regularly pushed the form changes more. The was the realization times, the actual development of things like the kick carrying through better, and changes in the easy running form that better translated to going faster. This is an on-going process.

2017-01-27 7:48 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Hiya Manatees!

Any racers this weekend? GO MANATEE RACERS!!!

Mike, glad the surg went well. Wishing you a smooth recovery. You've been gone so long I forgot what I used to call you!

I am ... kind of falling apart. I "train" a bit every day, just bike and swim for now, need to give my ankles another week (I sprained both the day of my friend's funeral. Classic Yanti! It was classic Oscar too, he was a total klutz. I think we just both had huge feet for our height and kept tripping over them).

Mentally not doing so well, so going to see a doctor here in Perth as well to see if I can't get some better sleep (have slept next to nil in a month) and maybe some appetite back.

Love and miss you all. Manatee {MELON PRESS}

2017-01-27 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TXTriRook I get the proper running form with your feet landing directly below you and having been working on that for some time now, I feel pretty good about that aspect of my form. I find when I watch videos/other runners that blow by me, while it's definitely a combo of stride and cadence, I was thinking I should put some time into lengthening my stride for my never-ending attempt of running faster. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Looking directly at stride length is a bit misguided as that is the result or outcome of a number of other things. One of which that hasn't been brought up is that you'll actually have both feet of the ground a fair amount of time. Stride length gets longer because you're bounding farther even though your feet are still just making contact mostly right under you.

Keep looking at form or motion or however you best understand it in how well you're moving. It's not something you can always see. A lot of times you can't, even if an expert. It's more developing a feel. This comes up in/around training montages in lots of movies when the protagonist can have their breakthrough moment.

Take a good look at what you're doing. I get a little warm-up before every single run. Mostly knee driving skips and some kicks. Leg swings can fall into this too, but I've liked moving around more. These would be if I was really stiff/sore, and then get into my normal stuff. Then muscles are used to firing throughout the entire running range of motion for every step of the run.

Run more. Look at more often first. You're only running twice a week, and occasionally 3. Frequency matters considerably when developing things like feel and making a motion more normal. This can also help with the range of motion that things like yoga or other flexibility suggestions were aimed at. You need to power throughout the range and need the kinetic chain you're using while running firing off too. 

Running is mostly easy, but still sometimes hard. Consider what you're doing with harder runs. Is any of it about just feeling more smooth when going faster? A lot of people do need to have kind of an "aha!" type moment with this because moving faster shouldn't be hard at the outset. I've also found that getting in little bits at least somewhat regularly pushed the form changes more. The was the realization times, the actual development of things like the kick carrying through better, and changes in the easy running form that better translated to going faster. This is an on-going process.

I have to agree with the run more often suggestion. I am not as fast as any of you, but for the last 5 weeks I have run 5 times a week. It's the first time ever that I have been consistent in my training and my average time has dropped by about 1 minute per km.
2017-01-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Hiya Manatees!

Mike, glad the surg went well. Wishing you a smooth recovery. You've been gone so long I forgot what I used to call you!

I am ... kind of falling apart. I "train" a bit every day, just bike and swim for now, need to give my ankles another week (I sprained both the day of my friend's funeral. Classic Yanti! It was classic Oscar too, he was a total klutz. I think we just both had huge feet for our height and kept tripping over them).

Mentally not doing so well, so going to see a doctor here in Perth as well to see if I can't get some better sleep (have slept next to nil in a month) and maybe some appetite back.

melon presses Yanti
2017-01-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Awesome suggestions / advice. Seriously, thanks! I have noticed from Strava that those of you that run a lot seem to mix up your speed a lot more than I ever do. 99% of my runs are between 7:30 - 8:15/mile. I'll try get out there more and get more miles in which will hopefully lead to a higher cadence, more efficient stride and faster running.
2017-01-27 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just read that Mike Reilly will be at IMChoo and IMAZ this year. Hmmmmmmm...

ETA: and Boulder. There are others but those are the ones that, gulp, interest me.

Edited by rrrunner 2017-01-27 11:12 AM

2017-01-27 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

no racers this week

Disabled List

Mike - recovery from back surgery
Markus - Guillain-Barre flare up
Anne - under the weather

2017-01-27 12:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Awesome suggestions / advice. Seriously, thanks! I have noticed from Strava that those of you that run a lot seem to mix up your speed a lot more than I ever do. 99% of my runs are between 7:30 - 8:15/mile. I'll try get out there more and get more miles in which will hopefully lead to a higher cadence, more efficient stride and faster running.

Does anyone know of a good running metronome app for cadence?

Happy Friday!
Barbara
2017-01-27 1:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hiya Manatees!

Big, big (((hugs))) for you, Yanti. I hope the doctor can help you feel better mentally.  It sounds like you are doing what you can and what you know you need to do to try to cope, or at least from shutting down completely - you are making an effort to train which will help you mentally and physically; you are making efforts to eat and eat nutritious things - also beneficial for mental and physical well-being.  Do take care, dear one, and thank you for accepting you need some help and taking steps to get it. 

2017-01-27 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook Awesome suggestions / advice. Seriously, thanks! I have noticed from Strava that those of you that run a lot seem to mix up your speed a lot more than I ever do. 99% of my runs are between 7:30 - 8:15/mile. I'll try get out there more and get more miles in which will hopefully lead to a higher cadence, more efficient stride and faster running.

I like variety and enjoy, probably more than is good for me, sometimes running harder (can't say fast exactly).  My mix is usually one of two types, each leading to a race.  If no race in the future, I do a LOT less faster stuff. 

First type is a run only or strong run focus block, with a target race at the end, and for those I follow pretty close to a Higdon advanced plan.  Look it up online as an example.  Mostly an easy run M, W.  Track or intervals on Tuesday.  Tempo of varying length on Thursday.  Friday off or easy.  Saturday a short for target distance pace run (race pace) and Sunday a long run.

The other type is when I'm training for a tri, so it's integrated into a balanced 3-sport plan which can take a lot more total time, and I mostly base those plans off the one found in Friel's "Your best triathlon."  Something like long intervals on Tuesday, maybe a not quite tempo run on Thursday and a long run with longer intervals in the middle of it on Saturday, plus 1-3 easy or recovery runs on other days.  That's prolly not exactly right (I'll look tonight when I get home), but something like that. 

Of note, I only follow these plans after usually a few months of building base.  Those months are just run lots, mostly easy and maybe a tempo effort once a week or some pickups/fartleks mixed in.  Basically, much less speed, much more frequency and building to a fairly high volume without a lot of intensity.  Once I get that under my belt, I will spend a few months on one of the above versions.

One last point.  The McMillan (MacMillan?) pace calculator is also a fun and useful tool.  Type in a current race time and/or a target race pace for a given distance, and it will give you all kinds of training paces (so you know what to target on a track day if you haven't developed a sense of those paces from being coached or long experience).  I refer back to is as a guide each time I get back into a dedicated training block or have a big change in fitness.  Not gospel, but a good reference...

There are MANY other productive ways to approach this, but I wanted to give you an idea of what has worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Matt

2017-01-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TXTriRook Awesome suggestions / advice. Seriously, thanks! I have noticed from Strava that those of you that run a lot seem to mix up your speed a lot more than I ever do. 99% of my runs are between 7:30 - 8:15/mile. I'll try get out there more and get more miles in which will hopefully lead to a higher cadence, more efficient stride and faster running.

I like variety and enjoy, probably more than is good for me, sometimes running harder (can't say fast exactly).  My mix is usually one of two types, each leading to a race.  If no race in the future, I do a LOT less faster stuff. 

First type is a run only or strong run focus block, with a target race at the end, and for those I follow pretty close to a Higdon advanced plan.  Look it up online as an example.  Mostly an easy run M, W.  Track or intervals on Tuesday.  Tempo of varying length on Thursday.  Friday off or easy.  Saturday a short for target distance pace run (race pace) and Sunday a long run.

The other type is when I'm training for a tri, so it's integrated into a balanced 3-sport plan which can take a lot more total time, and I mostly base those plans off the one found in Friel's "Your best triathlon."  Something like long intervals on Tuesday, maybe a not quite tempo run on Thursday and a long run with longer intervals in the middle of it on Saturday, plus 1-3 easy or recovery runs on other days.  That's prolly not exactly right (I'll look tonight when I get home), but something like that. 

Of note, I only follow these plans after usually a few months of building base.  Those months are just run lots, mostly easy and maybe a tempo effort once a week or some pickups/fartleks mixed in.  Basically, much less speed, much more frequency and building to a fairly high volume without a lot of intensity.  Once I get that under my belt, I will spend a few months on one of the above versions.

One last point.  The McMillan (MacMillan?) pace calculator is also a fun and useful tool.  Type in a current race time and/or a target race pace for a given distance, and it will give you all kinds of training paces (so you know what to target on a track day if you haven't developed a sense of those paces from being coached or long experience).  I refer back to is as a guide each time I get back into a dedicated training block or have a big change in fitness.  Not gospel, but a good reference...

There are MANY other productive ways to approach this, but I wanted to give you an idea of what has worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Very helpful, thank you! It seems like there's not enough time in the week to train for all 3 even working in 2 workouts a day 2-3 times/week. I'm going to look into the plans you point out and will give them a shot before my next race. All I have on the docket for now is Age Group Nationals which isn't until August. Depending on when the new baby comes I'll hopefully be able to get a few local races in before then. Have a great weekend everyone!

2017-01-27 4:18 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by bmarsh8386
Originally posted by TXTriRookAwesome suggestions / advice. Seriously, thanks! I have noticed from Strava that those of you that run a lot seem to mix up your speed a lot more than I ever do. 99% of my runs are between 7:30 - 8:15/mile. I'll try get out there more and get more miles in which will hopefully lead to a higher cadence, more efficient stride and faster running.
Does anyone know of a good running metronome app for cadence?Happy Friday!Barbara
Not really a cadence metronome but I subscribe to Spotify. One of their features on the phone app is that if you select a running mix, and then select the beats per minute, it will play music to the set cadence.
2017-01-27 5:10 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hang in there, Yanti. Glad you are getting some help. I hear you about klutziness. Maybe that is common to endurance athletes--I remember being so relieved to finally find a sport where all one had to do was keep moving forward! Still manage to trip over my own feet regularly. I almost got DQ'd once in a race for nearly running into an official while coming out of T2.

Not racing, but maybe departure with bike in tow from Saigon on Tet morning should qualify as an event. About to push Tomoko (the little kitty, who's my morning coffee buddy) off my lap, get dressed, and start trying to round up a taxi for me and the White Terror (road bike). Should be interesting.
2017-01-27 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hiya Manatees!

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Hopefully, with the Dr's help you will find peace. And Sleep!

2017-01-27 6:35 PM

Master
Northern IL

With that thought on pace, wondering how detailed you're looking at it? All my running now is either faster or slower than that, but on a faster day the overall average will come out somewhere in there. The actual fast parts tend to be low 7's at least and could approach 6 flat. Further still, some of these are on hills that can have a considerable grade. The GAP (Grade Adjusted Pace) can be substantially faster. These really steep ones tend to be quite short and can get down into 5's for the GAP. The overall average pace can still be 8-8:15 or so. Looking at that value is misleading, however, and would completely overlook of the intent of the workout.

2017-01-27 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Made it to the airport! The security guard at our compound called for a taxi and one arrived in ten minutes (some years it has been more than 45 minutes; one Tet morning, a taxi came quickly but the driver was extremely drunk, and the next one had a flat tire!). Things weren't too crazy at the airport yet; looks like it's picking up, though. Plenty of expats fleeing Tet madness as well as Vietnamese on package tours to elsewhere in Asia.

2017-01-28 9:42 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Made it to the airport! The security guard at our compound called for a taxi and one arrived in ten minutes (some years it has been more than 45 minutes; one Tet morning, a taxi came quickly but the driver was extremely drunk, and the next one had a flat tire!). Things weren't too crazy at the airport yet; looks like it's picking up, though. Plenty of expats fleeing Tet madness as well as Vietnamese on package tours to elsewhere in Asia.

Safe travels!

2017-01-28 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hiya Manatees!

Mike'll do - thanks for the well wishes.

Hope you find some peace (and some sleep, which will help with the former).  Prayers your way.

2017-01-28 11:19 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Smithtown, New York
Yesterday I was in the pool for a 400yd swim, starting one long swim a week now. 400 goes by I feel good, great form and I go another 100. At 500yd I feel better and go another hundred then at 600 I say screw it and went for 800yds! The last 50 I start kicking and lengthening my stroke and the last 25 I had a good sprint with long smooth strokes. I felt so energized from my swim, focussing on good form has really helped me the past year, I'm hoping to coming out of the water well ahead of the competition this year
2017-01-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by bmarsh8386
Originally posted by TXTriRookAwesome suggestions / advice. Seriously, thanks! I have noticed from Strava that those of you that run a lot seem to mix up your speed a lot more than I ever do. 99% of my runs are between 7:30 - 8:15/mile. I'll try get out there more and get more miles in which will hopefully lead to a higher cadence, more efficient stride and faster running.
Does anyone know of a good running metronome app for cadence?Happy Friday!Barbara
Not really a cadence metronome but I subscribe to Spotify. One of their features on the phone app is that if you select a running mix, and then select the beats per minute, it will play music to the set cadence.

I had a polaris clip on metronome but lost it on a run

There are metronome apps for your phone you can get as well.

2017-01-29 1:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Will post pictures later from tri paradise/hell. I made it to the training camp--Yanti, you should join me. They have two ENORMOUS pools, right next to the restaurant, so you can swim yourself senseless, stagger out, and eat healthy food a few minutes later. There are also meditation and yoga type classes almost every hour. Have not seen so many fit-looking people taking themselves way too seriously in one place since Worlds.

Trying to recover from a 110 km ride with what seemed to be the Swiss junior national women's squad. (Okay, it was probably just a tri club on holiday, but with one 40-ish exception, they were all frighteningly young and fit Daniela Ryf wanna-be's!) I did close to my HIM race pace and then kept going for another 20 km. Ouch! And this was on the White Terror, my road bike that I haven't actually ridden outside for three years and maybe ridden on the trainer three or four times. I don't recommend this, but didn't feel comfortable bringing Rover (the Cervelo P2) for group rides on unfamiliar hilly roads with traffic. 'We were having a few butt/saddle compatibility issues en route. Devoting the rest of the day to relaxation, recovery, and admiring hot bodies poolside.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-01-29 2:01 AM

2017-01-29 6:57 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Will post pictures later from tri paradise/hell. I made it to the training camp--Yanti, you should join me. They have two ENORMOUS pools, right next to the restaurant, so you can swim yourself senseless, stagger out, and eat healthy food a few minutes later. There are also meditation and yoga type classes almost every hour. Have not seen so many fit-looking people taking themselves way too seriously in one place since Worlds. Trying to recover from a 110 km ride with what seemed to be the Swiss junior national women's squad. (Okay, it was probably just a tri club on holiday, but with one 40-ish exception, they were all frighteningly young and fit Daniela Ryf wanna-be's!) I did close to my HIM race pace and then kept going for another 20 km. Ouch! And this was on the White Terror, my road bike that I haven't actually ridden outside for three years and maybe ridden on the trainer three or four times. I don't recommend this, but didn't feel comfortable bringing Rover (the Cervelo P2) for group rides on unfamiliar hilly roads with traffic. 'We were having a few butt/saddle compatibility issues en route. Devoting the rest of the day to relaxation, recovery, and admiring hot bodies poolside.
That sounds wonderful on all levels, except the tush compatibility issues. Enjoy the scenery.

2017-01-29 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Will post pictures later from tri paradise/hell. I made it to the training camp--Yanti, you should join me. They have two ENORMOUS pools, right next to the restaurant, so you can swim yourself senseless, stagger out, and eat healthy food a few minutes later. There are also meditation and yoga type classes almost every hour. Have not seen so many fit-looking people taking themselves way too seriously in one place since Worlds. Trying to recover from a 110 km ride with what seemed to be the Swiss junior national women's squad. (Okay, it was probably just a tri club on holiday, but with one 40-ish exception, they were all frighteningly young and fit Daniela Ryf wanna-be's!) I did close to my HIM race pace and then kept going for another 20 km. Ouch! And this was on the White Terror, my road bike that I haven't actually ridden outside for three years and maybe ridden on the trainer three or four times. I don't recommend this, but didn't feel comfortable bringing Rover (the Cervelo P2) for group rides on unfamiliar hilly roads with traffic. 'We were having a few butt/saddle compatibility issues en route. Devoting the rest of the day to relaxation, recovery, and admiring hot bodies poolside.

That's funny!  I'm glad that you are enjoying yourself -other than the saddle -butt issues.  Enjoy your relaxation time!

2017-01-29 3:01 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

Yesterday I was in the pool for a 400yd swim, starting one long swim a week now. 400 goes by I feel good, great form and I go another 100. At 500yd I feel better and go another hundred then at 600 I say screw it and went for 800yds! The last 50 I start kicking and lengthening my stroke and the last 25 I had a good sprint with long smooth strokes. I felt so energized from my swim, focussing on good form has really helped me the past year, I'm hoping to coming out of the water well ahead of the competition this year

That's awesome!
2017-01-29 3:02 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Will post pictures later from tri paradise/hell. I made it to the training camp--Yanti, you should join me. They have two ENORMOUS pools, right next to the restaurant, so you can swim yourself senseless, stagger out, and eat healthy food a few minutes later. There are also meditation and yoga type classes almost every hour. Have not seen so many fit-looking people taking themselves way too seriously in one place since Worlds.

Trying to recover from a 110 km ride with what seemed to be the Swiss junior national women's squad. (Okay, it was probably just a tri club on holiday, but with one 40-ish exception, they were all frighteningly young and fit Daniela Ryf wanna-be's!) I did close to my HIM race pace and then kept going for another 20 km. Ouch! And this was on the White Terror, my road bike that I haven't actually ridden outside for three years and maybe ridden on the trainer three or four times. I don't recommend this, but didn't feel comfortable bringing Rover (the Cervelo P2) for group rides on unfamiliar hilly roads with traffic. 'We were having a few butt/saddle compatibility issues en route. Devoting the rest of the day to relaxation, recovery, and admiring hot bodies poolside.

Pics or it didn't happen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102