General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2012-01-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4016570

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

dxc0162 - 2012-01-28 10:23 PM I think I am in big trouble here with my training. We got one guy already out for a 28 mile run and klassman going out for a 115 mile  bike ride. Am I way off on my training schedule?  Damn, I was hoping to work in a 10 mile run and hopefully a 25 mile bike ride tomorrow if my body will allow it and these guys are out doing some very serious distance.  Are these guys doing the normal thing or are they way ahead of this? Please let me know.Surprised

Doug -- Don't go by what I do or what I say.  The most I've ever trained for is a half Ironman distance.  My plan certainly didn't call for that many miles but I had the opportunity.  My father in law offered to do a sleepover and Star Wars marathon with all four of my kids.  As a result, my wife and I took him up on it and each had "free time" during the afternoon.  I liken it to how others are doing some things that are off their plans but generally good for fitness like a mountain bike ride or a long hike.

My best advice, which I'm trying hard to follow, is to pick a plan and follow it and then don't beat yourself up if you diverge here and there.

2012-01-29 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4016998

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

thanks klassman,

I am impressed on you ride. The longest I have ever biked in a day is a 107. I am only using my trainer due to the weather and roads here in NY. I find an hour on the trainer right now to be my quitting point. I am hoping to get a 25 mile ride in later this evening after I recover a bit from my run. At times i feel like we have a lot of time to prepare before July and then when I hear others talk about there training and distances I get that panic attack like I'm behind. I have a plan and seem to be fine with it. I can't wait until I can bike that far. Really motivating to read what you and others are doing. Keep it up!

2012-01-29 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4017032

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

crappy weekend of training, but often work just gets in the way...

I did get to try the spinnerval hill workout today, though (and swam 2500M after doing nothing on big saturday...sigh).

coach Troy had me doing HILLS-a little over an hour on the trainer

Warmup-10 minutes

First-long slow incline:

2x8minutes simulating a 5% grade by using the big chain ring/15 (and 16  for soft me -at a cadence of 75ish followed by easy spinning x 4 minutes (small chain ring/15)

Second-Rollers

begin at big chain ring/21 at a cadence of ~100 to simulate going down the hill-stay aero/tucked; high turnover then every 10-15 seconds he goes bigger-down the cassette>19>17>15>14>13>12 pushing as best as you can, with cadence dropping-of course and punishing the legs; down and up the cassette three times then easy spinning for a couple minutes---4 reps

Third-Big Short Hill Climb

4x30 sec then 10 seconds; big chain ring/12 cadence ~65 (for me)-steady power then stand and climb for the last 10 seconds hard up the hill; rest 1 minute easy spinning....

cooldown

ouch

I'm having a glass of cabernet , dinner and going to sleep.

Happy training all!

BTW Kent I really enjoyed reading your blog. You must have absorbed some writing skills from your wife...Wink

Edited by dtoce 2012-01-29 5:22 PM
2012-01-29 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Does anyone know the elevation gain for the bike and marathon?
2012-01-29 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4017566

User image

I believe that bike is about 6000' for the 112 miles.  Considering I live in NY near Bear Mtn, I have plenty of opportunity for climbing.

I'm not too sure about the run.

Good luck with the training!

2012-01-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4017566

User image

mdfahy - 2012-01-29 8:08 PM Does anyone know the elevation gain for the bike and marathon?

I've seen lots of varying data.  On the low range I've seen the 112 mile Bike reported as 5200 feet of total climbing.  On the high-end, just over 7.000 feet for 112 miles.  I think the general consensus is that it's around 3100 to 3200 feet per 56 miles - so around 6300 feet of gain total

The run data I've seen is between 600 and 800 feet total for the 26.2 miles. 

Again, I see the course as three distinct sections of climbing per loop on the Bike, and two (short) distinct secions on the Run - per loop.  Very doable.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-01-30 12:16 PM

2012-01-30 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

I need some help from seasoned riders. I have ridden one centrury ride, several 50 mile rides and too many 20-30 mile rides but tonight is the first time I have pedaled non-stop for an entire hour. No coasting, no resting.... just pedaling at 90rpm for 60 min.

This was on my trainer and I found it much harder than any long ride I have done on actual roads. It wasn't hard due to boredom, I wasn't really bored but just ancy to get off and stop pedaling.

I know I plan on spending close to 7 hours on the bike at Lake Placid but I assume I will not be pedaling the whole time. What should I expect? Do you all pedal non stop or take breaks while on the trainer?

2012-01-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4019769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
dxc0162 - 2012-01-30 10:00 PM

I need some help from seasoned riders. I have ridden one centrury ride, several 50 mile rides and too many 20-30 mile rides but tonight is the first time I have pedaled non-stop for an entire hour. No coasting, no resting.... just pedaling at 90rpm for 60 min.

This was on my trainer and I found it much harder than any long ride I have done on actual roads. It wasn't hard due to boredom, I wasn't really bored but just ancy to get off and stop pedaling.

I know I plan on spending close to 7 hours on the bike at Lake Placid but I assume I will not be pedaling the whole time. What should I expect? Do you all pedal non stop or take breaks while on the trainer?

The trainer is a pain in the $$$ to keep mentally sharp and focused. Everything seems harder on the trainer...you don't have the breeze, the scenery, the rewards for your work like you do outside. In fact I bought a Computrainer to force me to keep working because I always found myself either spinning too easily or wanting to stop frequently when on a plain old mag trainer. Don't get me wrong, for many that is all they need and they get great workouts, but for me I need more distraction. You are not alone in thinking that trainer rides seem harder because of this. Work is work so technically an indoor ride producing the same work as an outdoor ride is the same, but to me the indoor ride is mentally more draining.
2012-01-30 11:27 PM
in reply to: #4016570

User image

Master
PA

dxc0162 - 2012-01-28 10:23 PM I think I am in big trouble here with my training. We got one guy already out for a 28 mile run and klassman going out for a 115 mile  bike ride. Am I way off on my training schedule?  Damn, I was hoping to work in a 10 mile run and hopefully a 25 mile bike ride tomorrow if my body will allow it and these guys are out doing some very serious distance.  Are these guys doing the normal thing or are they way ahead of this? Please let me know.Surprised

Are you following a plan?  I hope you say yes.  If so, forget what every single other person is doing.  Stick to the plan.  Seriously you really cannot compare.  Plans and goals are VERY different.  Some plans are higher intensity, lower volume, others the reverse.  Whatever you're doing just trust the plan.  If you're winging it, well, then I'd find a plan.  

2012-01-31 6:53 AM

User image

dxc0162 - 2012-01-30 10:00 PM

Yeah the Trainer is brutal.  BRUTAL.  For me, an honest hour effort of non-stop pedalling on the trainer (18.5 to 19 trainer miles) equals the same effort (physical and mental effort) I would exert on  a gently rolling 40-mile ride outside. 

As JeNN  mentioned, hopefully you have a 'Plan'.  Perhaps we don't always follow the plan to a T - but it's a good guide.  And when we wander and get lost and all crap starts going haywire, we realize it's cause we stopped following our plan and we're quick to jump back onto the Yellow Brick Road, which is a Plan leading us to the 140.6 Wizard - Mike Reilly.      

Right now my 'Cycle Plan' is following Jorge's Winter Bike Plan.  He has some tough intervals and occasionally I do stop at the end of an interval, or once in a while if the lactic acid builds up painfully high - or if I need to get my heartrate down - I will stop for One Minute, just to let the body reset.  So, for me, probably half my trainer rides I end up stopping once or twice for a minute if not to use the bathroom, fiddle with my fan, or to tend to a screaming child.   

Oh, which reminds me of the Trainer checklist:  You MUST have a large fan roughly 24 to 30" from your direct face.    You need some type of stimualtion such as a TV screen, Radio Blasting, magazine, movie playing on a laptop;  if you just stare at a wall you're a sadomasochist. 

I must say, the Winters where I spend consistent time on the trainer, my Spring cycling is much-much better. 

2012-01-31 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Fully agree with the above, follow YOUR plan, that will be the key to YOUR success.

If you don't have a plan, then go find a plan NOW !

2012-01-31 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

5 Weeks into Don Fink's Iron Fit and I love it!!!

The routine of the workouts makes themm very easy to schedule

Plus the swim workouts may be limited but I did #33 for the 3rd time in 5 weeks today and say my

12x100 times drop from mid 1:40's to mid 1:30's my body is going through changes

I LOVE IT!!!

2012-01-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4020150

User image

triguy1043 - 2012-01-31 8:51 AM

Plus the swim workouts may be limited but I did #33 for the 3rd time in 5 weeks today and say my

12x100 times drop from mid 1:40's to mid 1:30's my body is going through changes

I LOVE IT!!!

Outstanding work Jeremy!!

The one knock I've heard about the Iron Fit Plan (before I chose to use it last year) was the Swim Workouts were not varied and boring.  However, I found this too be the exact opposite!! I love the Iron Fit Swim workouts.  I find they vary a lot and I love the added straight endurance swims.  I do admittedly shorten up some of the 16 X 25 intervals to 8 X 50; and do replace the drills section with a straight pull bouy set , but I always get in the full distance as layed out.    

2012-01-31 11:02 AM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
dxc0162 - 2012-01-30 7:00 PM

As DC has mentioned, I'll take the break as needed.  If my HR is too high going into the next session or my legs just have too much build up, take that extra minute and let the rest really count.  When out on the open road, there might be places where you can pedal non-stop for 40 miles and thats awesome.  I've never treated trainer miles logged the same as open road miles, just no comparing them in my book...

During the LP bike course, I don't expect to be cycling the complete 112 miles.  This is my first IM distance event and want to enjoy the race, even if that means coasting / minimal pedaling through every aid station on the bike course which is every ten miles if i recall. 

2012-01-31 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
dxc0162 - 2012-01-30 9:00 PM

I would think it is at least fair to say there is 7 miles (14 for 2 loops) on the decent into Kenne where you do not have to pedal if you did not want to. Whats everyone else think?

2012-01-31 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

thanks for the responses....

I do have a plan, i do have a fan, i do like green eggs and ham..... 

I am using a computrainer and have been doing my middle distance rides using the lake placid course. I just can't coast on the computrainer as i have to pedal to make forward progress.  since i am new to this an hour non stop feels so different that outdoors.

again thanks for the input everyone.

2012-01-31 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Speaking of plans...  I am doing a self modified Fink Intermediate.  However, I have concerns that there is not enough ride/run bricks on the weekends at Z2.  All of them seem to be during the week and low hours.  When do we have that crappy weekend of a 80 mile ride followed by a 15 mile run?  Personal input from a friend that has finished 3rd overall in IM Canada told me that your body has to get used to running after riding.  This format worked well for me in my HIM's.  But I just dont see it here in the Fink plan.  The long run is on Sat and the long ride on Sun.  Can this really prepare properly?  Am I bound to burn out if I slowly try to brick up to these amounts? 
2012-01-31 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4021365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
dxc0162 - 2012-01-31 3:54 PM

thanks for the responses....

I do have a plan, i do have a fan, i do like green eggs and ham..... 

I am using a computrainer and have been doing my middle distance rides using the lake placid course. I just can't coast on the computrainer as i have to pedal to make forward progress.  since i am new to this an hour non stop feels so different that outdoors.

again thanks for the input everyone.

Let me be the first to say that the real course video is "A LOT" harder than riding the course in real life. I'm sure it has to do with drag and such as I have it set up out of the box. I have raced the course twice and I find the real course to be so much harder. Case and point...I have hit 50 on the Keene descent in real life...on the Computrainer I have only hit 38 and that was in my heaviest gear pedalling at 98RPM. THe bottom line is that even on a high tech machine like a Computrainer, the old adage that speed on a trainer is junk is still true. Just keep track of your work and your watts...that is your true measure of progress.
2012-01-31 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4021589

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Let me be the first to say that the real course video is "A LOT" harder than riding the course in real life. I'm sure it has to do with drag and such as I have it set up out of the box. I have raced the course twice and I find the real course to be so much harder. Case and point...I have hit 50 on the Keene descent in real life...on the Computrainer I have only hit 38 and that was in my heaviest gear pedalling at 98RPM. THe bottom line is that even on a high tech machine like a Computrainer, the old adage that speed on a trainer is junk is still true. Just keep track of your work and your watts...that is your true measure of progress.

Monte, i have the real video too and find it much easier than the course against the silver dude. I stopped using the real course video and only ride the courses with the silver guy. I can avg about 2-3 mph faster on the real course video and feel like I'm cheating my ride. I calibrate but it just seems easier. I have yet to ride the whole 56 miles. Maybe this weekend.

2012-01-31 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4018740

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-30 10:14 AM

mdfahy - 2012-01-29 8:08 PM Does anyone know the elevation gain for the bike and marathon?

I've seen lots of varying data.  On the low range I've seen the 112 mile Bike reported as 5200 feet of total climbing.  On the high-end, just over 7.000 feet for 112 miles.  I think the general consensus is that it's around 3100 to 3200 feet per 56 miles - so around 6300 feet of gain total

The run data I've seen is between 600 and 800 feet total for the 26.2 miles. 

Again, I see the course as three distinct sections of climbing per loop on the Bike, and two (short) distinct secions on the Run - per loop.  Very doable.

Thanks for mentioning this DC, I'm also also wondering about bike training in terms of climbing.  Thinking ahead, but for long rides would it be a good idea to get in that 6000-7000 ft of climbing, then finish out the rest of the ride?  Total miles covered may be lower, but I'll be able to feel what the climbing is like.  Or maximize saddle time and train for the distance?  Not ignoring the hills but logging more miles compared to gain.

Just worried that if i train for the hills, i'll have more confidence in them but won't be logging long mile rides (even if out for 5-6 hours).  Or just do 1 weekend as a long ride with LP gain incorporated, and the next as not as many hills, more mileage oriented.

2012-01-31 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4020419

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-31 9:27 AM
triguy1043 - 2012-01-31 8:51 AM

I LOVE IT!!!

Outstanding work Jeremy!!

The one knock I've heard about the Iron Fit Plan (before I chose to use it last year) was the Swim Workouts were not varied and boring.  However, I found this too be the exact opposite!! I love the Iron Fit Swim workouts.  I find they vary a lot and I love the added straight endurance swims.  I do admittedly shorten up some of the 16 X 25 intervals to 8 X 50; and do replace the drills section with a straight pull bouy set , but I always get in the full distance as layed out.    

I like that idea of switching out the drills to pull bouy sets, I think I'll try that.  Thanks!

2012-01-31 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
dxc0162 - 2012-01-30 9:00 PM

I have to stand up and stretch at regular intervals, every 15-20 minutes, for about a minute and it refreshes me.  I find mental blocks just before halfway through workout and last 15 minutes I fight to get through.  Trainer is hard, but that continuous pedalling adds up quickly and you are getting a big bang for your buck (time spent).

2012-02-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4021565

User image

Huntley, IL

Major BC - 2012-01-31 4:05 PM Speaking of plans...  I am doing a self modified Fink Intermediate.  However, I have concerns that there is not enough ride/run bricks on the weekends at Z2.  All of them seem to be during the week and low hours.  When do we have that crappy weekend of a 80 mile ride followed by a 15 mile run?  Personal input from a friend that has finished 3rd overall in IM Canada told me that your body has to get used to running after riding.  This format worked well for me in my HIM's.  But I just dont see it here in the Fink plan.  The long run is on Sat and the long ride on Sun.  Can this really prepare properly?  Am I bound to burn out if I slowly try to brick up to these amounts? 

I am following the same plan--noticed the same thing as well. In the competitive plan, he adds bricks to long runs on weekends. I know a few other of the known training gurus, including coaches at Endurance Nation, have gotten rid of the long weekend brick. Here is their blog giving reason why they chose this (and I tend to agree with their view point being an amateur here):

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/rethinking-the-value-of-the-brick-run-for-long-course-triathlon/

My concern with the Fink plan is that, at least so far, it seems way more heavy on the run versus the bike. I know eventually the bike hours edge up, but  3 x 1 hour runs per week seems a little much for me, and this continues for the whole plan (with the long run getting longer of course). I would think once the interval runs begin, maybe shorten the run time a bit? But they don't.

Thirdly, I am training via HR zones as described by Fink. I have not done a true HR max test (and I think I should); so I am using estimated calculations. I am having the hardest time getting my HR to Z2 for both the bike and run. I feel like I am pressing way too hard to get my heart rate up--isn't Z2 supposed to be relatively easy workload? Anyone with good suggestions on how to do a max HR test for bike/run that won't take me out for the rest of the days training?

Happy training all!

2012-02-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4023710

User image

Huntington Beach, CA

asock325 - 2012-02-01 12:19 PM

...Thirdly, I am training via HR zones as described by Fink. I have not done a true HR max test (and I think I should); so I am using estimated calculations. I am having the hardest time getting my HR to Z2 for both the bike and run. I feel like I am pressing way too hard to get my heart rate up--isn't Z2 supposed to be relatively easy workload? Anyone with good suggestions on how to do a max HR test for bike/run that won't take me out for the rest of the days training?

Happy training all!

The Run test I did before starting all this I found on BT forum ( http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633 ).  All the tests are pretty straight forward and worked well for me.  Hard part was finding a spot to be able to ride -hard- for 30 min nonstop so a trainer may be able to work for this also.

2012-02-01 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4023710

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

I'm following the Fink competitive plan.  A few things... after having done IM Louisville, I wished I had done more run training, so as for this being weighted a bit more heavily to the run, I think we'll all be happy about it come race day.  Also, the length of the weekday and Sunday runs really levels off a good bit with only small incremental jumps until we get to the peak phase .  I think that you'll find that you become very accustomed to 1 hour runs and they'll no longer be too much.

As for pushing to get to Z2, it seems that your zones are off if they are that difficult.  Until you do a threshold test why not just use RPE.  What I'll be doing to check my HR zones, I believe, will be a threshold test on the Tuesday following the recovery weeks.  It is a time when I'll be well rested and ready to push a bit.  As this test is only 30 minutes it really shouldn't take you out of other training.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148