BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3140298

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-08 7:39 AM
DougRob - 2010-10-08 4:46 AM Good Luck Linda!! Hello MG and conrats on crushing the server! I am still in Germany. I wish I had had a camera with me as we were near border. Went for a hike up and down to foot hills to the mountains as a "team" exercise. I had a good time. I am glad to be back in Munich and can start working out tonight now that I am at the Hilton. Going to go running along the Yser river this weekend. (Might go visit Dachau which will be a somber affair.)

Suzy: IF I come to Rev3 it will be for the 1/2. I am NOT driving 6+ hours for just an olympic.

Doug

man you gotta update that early 90's edition phone you carry.  most all have cameras in them now-a-days!

i hope you get a chance to visit dachau.  my mother visited there when she lived in germany, before i was around.  she said its one of the most horrific places she's ever been.  don't think she ever made it into poland though, treblinka and aushwitz.... i just can't imagine.

The phone I use here is provided by work and is a global phone. It has no fancy features. Nevertheless, here is a photo:

2010-10-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
What are you guys using for calculating power on the bike.  Seems like alot of the biking plans are using power and everyone is talking about it.  EXPENSIVE???

What would be, or is there a way, to guage power without the 2000 tap that works well?
2010-10-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3139316

User image

Extreme Veteran
gdctex - 2010-10-07 5:45 PM
kt65 - 2010-10-07 4:39 PM
trying1 - 2010-10-07 2:10 PM Kim, I took a few swim lessons before my last tri (i was really behind in my swim training due to the traveling and he got me into shape in no time) and the guy made me do suicides to strengthen my upper body.  IE swim 100*5 while doing 10 vertical push-ups on each end of the pool with 30 sec rest and if your time was slower then the last 100 start all over..  It strengthened my upper body in no time.  He said my triceps were weak compared to my biceps and they need to be about equal.

For the sinking legs thing..  the thing that helped me most was making sure i have proper head positioning.  Also every coach that I had, said that in your reach/glide, you should reach and have your legs/toes extended as much as possible  IE trying to be as tall as possible during each reach/glide.  The more extended I was the flatter and vertical i was..

Stan-what are vertical push ups?  I envision it's almost like if I was going to get myself out of the pool without the assistance of the ladder (which I prefer!), and then just push myself up and down on the outside of the pool?  with legs hanging down?  Aiyah.  My triceps are super weak!  I have been trying to do chair dips at home 2x/wk along with that p90 stuff, it is hard to squeeze it into the schedule.  Maybe I will try that!  thanks.

btw, love your new avatar, glen.

Thanks Kim!

Your description of that push up makes a lot more sense than mine.  I was visualizing it as pushing myself off the side vs. up out of the pool.  Big difference in level of exertion between the two. 

That's exactly it (Kim's description).  The first time I did them I embarrassed myself.  After the 3rd 100 i could hardly do 3 vertical push-ups.  My first 2 sessions with him were painful.  It got much easier after that..

Edited by trying1 2010-10-08 11:00 AM
2010-10-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3140850

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-08 11:26 AM What are you guys using for calculating power on the bike.  Seems like alot of the biking plans are using power and everyone is talking about it.  EXPENSIVE???

What would be, or is there a way, to guage power without the 2000 tap that works well?

No real way without a power meter.

Look used, you can pick up a used wired power meter for under 400 bucks , throw a $80.00 wheel cover and you have your self a pretty bad a$$ race wheel.
2010-10-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3139352

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2010-10-07 5:57 PM
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-07 4:39 PM I worked out this week AND a new thread page started...what a coincidence!  And only 1 page to catch up on

Can I hang out with you guys again?

Every run away child is welcomed back to the family.  Glad to see you.  Make sure you stay visible.

Stan--did your coach tell you to do any dryland exercises?  I bought bands to strengthe my lats...used them a little and they've been on the floor for months...need to dig them out.  So staying long, point your toes?

He did, but the ones he made me do also centered around strengthening my upper body.  The bands he made me use were attached to swim paddles.  He made me bend my knees and make my upper body parallel to the floor and put the paddles in my hand as if I were to use them in the water and for 1 min simulate pulling as fast as I can (he made me do it 5 times).  He said not only are my triceps weak the second half of my pull was slow.  I had 3 wks of lessons with him and the main thing he concentrated on with me is my upper body strength, pacing (my 800 slow was the same as fast) and breathing (increasing my lung capacity).

BTW Glen, nice pic.

Edited by trying1 2010-10-08 11:15 AM
2010-10-08 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Tracy- Funny, cute picture, but really sad and scary!  I don't do well with snakes.  Not sure how you guys deal with that stuff all the time!!! Hopefully he will be wagging his tail by the end of the weekend!  Did you guys see it happen?  How did you know?

Doug- If it were me.... I would be about 10 miles north of your picture in those hills!! Looks Awesome!

2010-10-08 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3140753

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2010-10-08 9:49 AM Awww Tracy, your poor sweet baby is right!! Scary! Were you there when it happened? Yikes!!! Hope he enjoys his loopy state.

So it's looking like a rainy day on Sunday in Portland. Blech. It's supposed to be pretty stormy up in these parts (winds, rain) -- hope that's not the case down south. But it is what it is and a little water never hurt anyone. Maybe gave 'em some blisters over the course of 26.2, but blisters are just a small annoyance.

Tummy is aflutter today.

My second marathon was in a torrential downpour with bouts of lightening and wind.  Over 3" fell that day....overall I had a great race, but got the worst chafing where my chest strap rubbed up and down. Shoes weighed a little more, but nothing serious (I wore smartwool thin socks).  Wear a hat and if it's cool consider tights or a long sleeve shirt.  Most people weren't sporting them and they froze. Me, I felt awesome.....weather isn't your enemy!!
2010-10-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3141140

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
swbkrun - 2010-10-08 1:03 PM Tracy- Funny, cute picture, but really sad and scary!  I don't do well with snakes.  Not sure how you guys deal with that stuff all the time!!! Hopefully he will be wagging his tail by the end of the weekend!  Did you guys see it happen?  How did you know?

Doug- If it were me.... I would be about 10 miles north of your picture in those hills!! Looks Awesome!

I wasn't there.  Doug was taking him for a walk so Hobbs was ahead sniffing through the tall grass.  He jumped back and Doug went to see what was there. That's when he saw the snake.  He wasn't sure if it actually bit Hobbs b/c he didn't cry out, but by the time they got home he was very lethargic and just laid down in the grass.  Within another half hour his face was swollen and you could start to make out the bite marks. You can tell it really hurt by the sad look in his eyes.  Today his eyes are much more glazed over and he's drooling a lot.  Kind of like me around mile 12.

2010-10-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3140701

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Reno8 - 2010-10-08 10:34 AM

WELCOME back Barry....glad things are going well for you on the Plains.

Props to the"Freak" and the Giants last night....he shoved it to the Braves...14K's and 1BB  WOW!

As usual the Yankees had to cheat to win  but hey...it isn't the first time is it John?

Hope everyone has a great weekend whether racing, training or just watching the leaves change and drinking beer!!

First of all...c'mon!!!  No one would be complaining if the close call went in their teams favor!

Second of all, I think it is kind of crazy that announcers, media, etc. talk so much about these close calls after they have had the time to watch it in super slo mo from 15 differnt angles.  The umps are making calls on balls moving 90+ mph.  The only difference between umps now and those 10 or 20 years ago is all the technology we have today to prove them wrong.  They probably made the same calls back then...it is just that we couldn't tell.  If we couldn't tell then, why should we expect them to be able to tell now???

Lincecum was smokin last night.  I am hoping for a Yankees - Giants World Series (except for the time zone difference!) but I think it will be Yankees - Phillies.  The Philies are looking tough!
2010-10-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3141189

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2010-10-08 1:28 PM
swbkrun - 2010-10-08 1:03 PM Tracy- Funny, cute picture, but really sad and scary!  I don't do well with snakes.  Not sure how you guys deal with that stuff all the time!!! Hopefully he will be wagging his tail by the end of the weekend!  Did you guys see it happen?  How did you know?

I wasn't there.  Doug was taking him for a walk so Hobbs was ahead sniffing through the tall grass.  He jumped back and Doug went to see what was there. That's when he saw the snake.  He wasn't sure if it actually bit Hobbs b/c he didn't cry out, but by the time they got home he was very lethargic and just laid down in the grass.  Within another half hour his face was swollen and you could start to make out the bite marks. You can tell it really hurt by the sad look in his eyes.  Today his eyes are much more glazed over and he's drooling a lot.  Kind of like me around mile 12.

still a hottie at mile 12.  i was there, beer in hand. 
2010-10-08 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
thanks george.

2010-10-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3140601

User image

Elite
san francisco
tahrens - 2010-10-08 7:00 AM My poor baby got bit in the face by a copperhead last night. Cry  See how the whole left side of his face and neck are swollen and drooping?   Poor guy.  I had to really work to get him to leave the porch to go pee this morning. He is at home on some wonderful pain meds and spending the day pleasantly bombed.  Maybe he'll share with me after work. 

Tracy, I love the name HOBBS!!!  Hope he responds well to the meds, poor baby. 
2010-10-08 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3140790

User image

Elite
san francisco
DougRob - 2010-10-08 8:02 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-08 7:39 AM
DougRob - 2010-10-08 4:46 AM Good Luck Linda!! Hello MG and conrats on crushing the server! I am still in Germany. I wish I had had a camera with me as we were near border. Went for a hike up and down to foot hills to the mountains as a "team" exercise. I had a good time. I am glad to be back in Munich and can start working out tonight now that I am at the Hilton. Going to go running along the Yser river this weekend. (Might go visit Dachau which will be a somber affair.)

Suzy: IF I come to Rev3 it will be for the 1/2. I am NOT driving 6+ hours for just an olympic.

Doug

man you gotta update that early 90's edition phone you carry.  most all have cameras in them now-a-days!

i hope you get a chance to visit dachau.  my mother visited there when she lived in germany, before i was around.  she said its one of the most horrific places she's ever been.  don't think she ever made it into poland though, treblinka and aushwitz.... i just can't imagine.

The phone I use here is provided by work and is a global phone. It has no fancy features. Nevertheless, here is a photo:

I want to start singing Sound of Music songs!  Or see Heidi and Grandpa come down the hillside.
2010-10-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3141228

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-08 1:42 PM
tahrens - 2010-10-08 1:28 PM

still a hottie at mile 12.  i was there, beer in hand. 

EmbarassedKiss
2010-10-08 1:47 PM

User image

Well, no Triple T for me this year   Frown

Getting ready to head out to White Lake this am (bike on the car and everything).  End up over at the Er at UNC with Connor.  Playing football at recess Connor and another boy both went for the ball and they banged heads.
Connor has a lump the size of a golf ball - no kidding.  Add vomiting and dizziness to that and his Pediatrician was worried about a concussion.  His neurological exam was good at UNC, so they are pretty confident no concussion.  ER doc didn't want to do ct scan since he had so many exams/radiation from last years accident - we are in total agreement.

Connor and I are going to bed.   

I guess Triple T was just not meant to be (this year)
2010-10-08 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3141354

User image

Elite
san francisco
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-08 11:47 AM Well, no Triple T for me this year   Frown

Getting ready to head out to White Lake this am (bike on the car and everything).  End up over at the Er at UNC with Connor.  Playing football at recess Connor and another boy both went for the ball and they banged heads.
Connor has a lump the size of a golf ball - no kidding.  Add vomiting and dizziness to that and his Pediatrician was worried about a concussion.  His neurological exam was good at UNC, so they are pretty confident no concussion.  ER doc didn't want to do ct scan since he had so many exams/radiation from last years accident - we are in total agreement.

I hope Connor rebounds like the champ that he is.  Time for some mommy love.  Triple T will be there whenever you want it.  Family is now.  Take care Linda.

Check with Suzy.  She's been bored lately, I bet she'd love to stand in for you! 

2010-10-08 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-08 1:47 PM Well, no Triple T for me this year   Frown

OMG, I am so sorry for Connor.  Another scary thing to deal with.  Twin's right, TTT will be there for you next year and you will kick its fanny.  If it were closer, I would be a stand in for you....not as good as you, but would try hard.  And Kim's right again....I'm bored.  I've come to the conclusion I lead a very singular life....if I can't do a lot of SBR, I'm lost.  Pathetic.
2010-10-08 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-08 2:47 PM Well, no Triple T for me this year   Frown

m'man AGAIN!  so sorry!!!!   hope he is ok... asap!.   a lot easier said than done but try not to worry about the race. you know just as much as anyone...family first, always!   and i know you'll be worried about him all weekend but i do hope you find some time to relax and just chill.  you've really had a lot going on the past several months.

2010-10-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3140753

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2010-10-08 7:49 AM Awww Tracy, your poor sweet baby is right!! Scary! Were you there when it happened? Yikes!!! Hope he enjoys his loopy state.

So it's looking like a rainy day on Sunday in Portland. Blech. It's supposed to be pretty stormy up in these parts (winds, rain) -- hope that's not the case down south. But it is what it is and a little water never hurt anyone. Maybe gave 'em some blisters over the course of 26.2, but blisters are just a small annoyance.

Tummy is aflutter today.

A little nervous is good!  My race morning was 29 degrees, but not raining.  Staying warm with my arm warmers was so helpful.  Just remember, the faster you run, the drier your feet will stay.  True!  You are going to rock it, Kyla! 
2010-10-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3141147

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2010-10-08 10:05 AM
kkcbelle - 2010-10-08 9:49 AM Awww Tracy, your poor sweet baby is right!! Scary! Were you there when it happened? Yikes!!! Hope he enjoys his loopy state.

Tummy is aflutter today.

My second marathon was in a torrential downpour with bouts of lightening and wind.  Over 3" fell that day....overall I had a great race, but got the worst chafing where my chest strap rubbed up and down. Shoes weighed a little more, but nothing serious (I wore smartwool thin socks).  Wear a hat and if it's cool consider tights or a long sleeve shirt.  Most people weren't sporting them and they froze. Me, I felt awesome.....weather isn't your enemy!!

Thanks, my friend!! I have so many outfits packed: shorts, skirt, capris, tank, short-sleeved shirt, long-sleeved shirt, two hats... All contingencies covered!! Supposed to be 57 with rain, so not cold at all. Got the Body Glide too, and will try to think ahead on all potential chafing if it's raining (arms from short sleeves or whatever). THANK YOU!!! At least it's not gonna be hot! I don't do hot!!
2010-10-08 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
would you leave already!  get off the computer and go!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-08 2:09 PM

2010-10-08 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-08 11:47 AM Well, no Triple T for me this year   Frown

Awwww Linda, HUGE HUGS!!! I'm so sorry -- very scary for you on so many levels! Yes, TTT will be there ready for you to own it next year. This year wasn't yours, and that's OK. Please take care of you and enjoy the time with Connor. You guys are so lucky to have each other, cherish it!! Thinking of you and I hope your little trooper is just fine!!
2010-10-08 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-08 2:47 PM Well, no Triple T for me this year   Frown

Oh Linda,  I am so sorry and I hope Connor is fine. 
2010-10-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3141406

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-08 12:09 PM would you leave already!  get off the computer and go!

I AM TRYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally, my bags are on the front porch. I am just waiting for Abbe to get her butt here and take me out of this insane place that I call home! My kids (home today) are beyond wound up. At least they aren't fighting, but man! They are sooooo loud! And everywhere at once! Ha ha!!!
2010-10-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3141399

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2010-10-08 12:06 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-10-08 10:05 AM

Tummy is aflutter today.

Thanks, my friend!! I have so many outfits packed: shorts, skirt, capris, tank, short-sleeved shirt, long-sleeved shirt, two hats... All contingencies covered!! Supposed to be 57 with rain, so not cold at all. Got the Body Glide too, and will try to think ahead on all potential chafing if it's raining (arms from short sleeves or whatever). THANK YOU!!! At least it's not gonna be hot! I don't do hot!!

Wait.  You don't do hot?   

Go get 'em, Girl!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81