General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-05-24 6:31 AM
in reply to: #814499

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Do you just have "it" or not?

KSH - 2007-05-23 9:50 PM The truth is that I don't have "it". Running and my body don't work well together. It's a miserable struggle. And I can pretty much tell you that even if I train for the next 5 years, I will not be running a 6 or 7 minute mile. At best, I can only hope for a 9 minute mile. 

[sigh]Not to criticize you, but this is why you will probably never reach that 7 minute mile.  Because you don't believe you can.[/sigh]

If you trained smart and put in the miles, you could ....... period.  (Unless there is some physical disability that is stopping you).  Have you ever heard a good coach say that you can't do something????

2007-05-24 7:13 AM
in reply to: #814650

User image

Champion
Butler
Furndog - 2007-05-24 12:17 AM

That is what I was just thinking.  We can all get better but we will never be elite.  I am the opposite of rkreuser.  I am probably built perfect for this sport.  6'7" 205lbs 13% bf (could be a little lower but I like to drink a few beers), good wing span, long legs (36in inseam), only negative really is that I have chicken legs and have no foot speed and never have althought it has got slightly better.  That being said I generally finish top 1/3 in races depending on size.  Could I work out more, yes, but no Kona for me.

Once again, you my friend don't have physical limitations, you have mental limitations!  I took a look at your results and you could qualify-if you believed you could.  I am not trying to say that it's just believing in yourself, it's also doing the work necessary to do it . So stop the can't crap and do it if you want to.  If you don't thats fine, just don't try and sell me on the I don't have it when you do!

Aloha,

Matt

You are right to a point. I could possibly go for Kona if I had the time to train but still would never be elite.  Boston I think would be out of the question.  My big limiting factor is time and money for Kona.  I will still stick to my point of genetics though. 

Growing up I played basketball.  I played all the time and work hard.  I ended up playing 1 year JV DIII.  I don't think it would have matter what I did I could not have played D1 or made the NBA.  My brother on the other hand (same mom and dad) was a great athlete.  He is my HS leading all-time scorer and played DIII ball and scored over 1,000 points but probably could not have played D1 either because neither of us could jump or are fast.  You can fake your way DIII not D1.  Just like I think you can fake your way to a decent finish in Tri's just not get to "elite"status and I think that is what most people are talking about when they say it.  Not qualifying for this or that race or even placing, but consistantly placing in is a different story.  With me I don't think it is mental.  I think I am extremely mentally strong, but I know my physical limitations.

Thanks for the input and encouragement though.

2007-05-24 7:24 AM
in reply to: #814012

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Here's my take on this. If you have "it" you can train and get fast. If you don't have "it" you can train more and longer and get fast. I do believe that genetics play a part of it, but I think lack of natural ability can be overcome with the appropriate amount of hard work. I do think, however, that the law of diminishing returns applies here. I've seen vast improvements on my times with lots of hard work, though the improvements now are coming in smaller and smaller increments.

The bonus of those born with "it" lies in their ability to see results with less amount of work than those of us without it. Not saying they don't work- I'm just saying I'd have to put in 15 hour weeks to get to the same point as someone else with "it" who puts in less time.

We all have different gifts. My gift is my ability to push myself, though I might have preferred the gift of foot speed, LOL.

2007-05-24 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Let me say that I believe in the "It" philosophy.  I played sports throughout my life. I was never the fastest, but I was one of the smartest and my hand/eyes /foot skills were second to none due to practice.  But when I got to the college levels, everyone elses skills were just as good but they were fast.  When I started this 4 years ago, I had been riding very regularly.  I had done my work putting in 250 mile cycling weeks.  And I had come to the realization that I could ride 22 Mph for a century, but the people who win races are able to ride 24-25 mph.  When I started I ran a 10-11 min mile.  Now I can run sub 8.  But the people who win will run sub 6 min miles.  The truth is that some people have the genetic make-up to move fast.  Speed is one thing that the best skills will not overcome.  I have placed in the top 10 in my age group.  It was a smaller race with about 21 people in my age group.  I was really excited, until I saw that the 1-5 place people had smoked me by up to 15 minutes in a sprint race.  Sorry, but making up 15 minutes in an hour long race is tough.  I had finished in 1:08, not gonna make 53 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is some people have "IT", I don't.  So now my training is a little less intense, family comes first and I love my experiences at every race.  If you do "YOUR" best, enjoy yourself, enjoy racing, you have won...

P.S.  I'm still getting faster, only now I workout for me (and fun) and am not a slave to numbers.  "Fitness Rocks"

2007-05-24 7:35 AM
in reply to: #814485

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

the bear - 2007-05-23 8:39 PM I don't think anyone doubts that adequate quality training will make you better.  Some of us, though, realize that no amount of training will make us elite. If you say I'm limiting myself by that, then fine. I call it realism. Regardless, it's not going to stop me from trying to improve.

Thank you.  That's what I'm saying.  Maybe I need to bullet point it...

(a) I love training, I'm as consistent as my life will allow, and I'll fight to improve until the day I can't lace 'em up anymore.  I am NOT NEGATIVE on my abilities and if I see evidence of sniffing a BQ (like a sub 4:00 mary ala Daremo) trust me, I'll go for it with everything I can.

(b) Daremo, jeepfleeb, I've watched you.  You have "it" whether you know it or not.  You don't get to be a competitive bike racer without some of "it".  Jeep, you went from overweight/out of shape to competitive in a fairly short period of time on a greuling schedule that would leave most of us injured, frankly.  Your body allows you to pound itself.  You have some of "it."

(c) That being said, I have NEVER, EVER stated that I work anywhere near as hard as the elites on BT, the top performers in my local tri's, or anywhere else.  And I don't deny that Daremo, jeepfleeb, jszat and others that appear now to have "it" may have just gotten it through years of hard work throughout their youth.  My training is so full of holes as compared to elite you can call me swiss cheese if you want.

(d) I draw from 2 people I know, not on BT, that started recently from scratch, no particular athletic background in one case, and simply not that hard a worker in another.  They can both smoke my azz.  I am working my incremental improvements and may one day challenge them.  I cannot wait for that day.  But, I know the background of these people, and I know their current work.  There's no other explanation besides natural talent, or "it".

(e) Somebody posted a fairly MOP pace that would get you Kona qualified.  I'll be honest, I mentioned Kona without knowing exactly what it took to get there.  I thought it was top-3 finisher in the major age groups at qualifying tri's.  If there's tri's out there where an 8:30 run pace will get you top-3, then I'm competing in the wrong events.  Or, my understanding of qualifying is way off, and I retract the statement that I'll never qualify for Kona.

2007-05-24 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
I still think everone has a leve of "it".  But we all don't necessarily ever find our level of "it".  I can probably run 1 mile in about 6:00 right now if I ran all out, but my it might be 5:00 and I just have not discovered "it" yet but with work I could get there.  That is the great thing about any sport, there is always some room for improvement even a second here or there.  I think the problem is too many people equate "it" with elite status or professional status.  We all have our own "it" and should work to find it, even the 11:00/mile person who might be a 9:00/min "it"person.

2007-05-24 7:42 AM
in reply to: #814762

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
velocomp - 2007-05-24 7:25 AM

Let me say that I believe in the "It" philosophy.  I played sports throughout my life. I was never the fastest, but I was one of the smartest and my hand/eyes /foot skills were second to none due to practice.  But when I got to the college levels, everyone elses skills were just as good but they were fast.  When I started this 4 years ago, I had been riding very regularly.  I had done my work putting in 250 mile cycling weeks.  And I had come to the realization that I could ride 22 Mph for a century, but the people who win races are able to ride 24-25 mph.  When I started I ran a 10-11 min mile.  Now I can run sub 8.  But the people who win will run sub 6 min miles.  The truth is that some people have the genetic make-up to move fast.  Speed is one thing that the best skills will not overcome.  I have placed in the top 10 in my age group.  It was a smaller race with about 21 people in my age group.  I was really excited, until I saw that the 1-5 place people had smoked me by up to 15 minutes in a sprint race.  Sorry, but making up 15 minutes in an hour long race is tough.  I had finished in 1:08, not gonna make 53 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is some people have "IT", I don't.  So now my training is a little less intense, family comes first and I love my experiences at every race.  If you do "YOUR" best, enjoy yourself, enjoy racing, you have won...

P.S.  I'm still getting faster, only now I workout for me (and fun) and am not a slave to numbers.  "Fitness Rocks"

Well said.  I'm love being a slave to the numbers though, despite the statements that some view as self-defeating.  Again, I'll keep looking to improve, and maybe one day I'll look up and see sub-6:30 paces on long runs. 

2007-05-24 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Quite a bit of fuss over having it when you can just bid on it...
[img]http://auction-genius-course.com/blog/img/it.jpg[/img]

In terms of mental limiting. I ran a 5:01 mile my junior year of high school. I ran an 10:40 two mile. I ran 5k's in the low 18's with some consistently.

Slightly over a decade later (today), the thought of that, as I push hard to run a mile faster than 7:30, seems unachievable. But I know my body is capable of it. If I trained and ate right, I should be capable of being faster than that.

Many of you may be limiting your achievements if you didn't have an athletic peak in the past... where you really fine tuned your performance to near max levels. If I hadn't had that athletic phase in high school, I would never believe you if you told me that a sub 18 5k is a reasonable long term goal for me... because I can barely run 800 meters at that pace today, and I'm not in terrible shape.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-05-24 8:10 AM
2007-05-24 8:25 AM
in reply to: #814127

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
the bear - 2007-05-23 4:01 PM
Daremo - 2007-05-23 3:57 PM

Genetics will only get you so far, hard work gets you the rest!

The converse is equally true.

I agree.  My 7yo son and his best friend are great examples of this.  They are both athletic, play the same sports, play together a lot, same classroom at school, etc.  Very similar lives and upbringings (I am also the boys' soccer coach for 2 years now).  Yet, Nik is way faster than my son Jack.  Nik won the mile fun run at his school about a month ago for his grade and it was the first time he's ever run a mile at one time in his life.  He took off at the start and ran, never needing to stop for rest.  Finished in about 7:30.  I know there are kids his age who run faster, but they practice it.  No one in his family is a runner, although his dad played soccer.  He has a natural speed that is incredible.  I don't think it would take much training to get him to drop some serious time off that mile pace.  If we fast forward 15 years and make them triathletes training at a high level, I have a hard time believing that Jack could be competitive with Nik given the natural advantage Nik seems to have now.

2007-05-24 8:40 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Most of endurance sports is a mental thing.  If you tell yourself you can't, you won't.  This is something I've been battling since I stopped road racing bikes back in '98.  I'd drop out of every race because after a few laps I'd be falling off the back and working too hard to keep up, so I'd mentally lose it and then throw in the towel.  We had that thread about why we do this and what we want out of it a year or so ago and I posted about those "demons" that weould have me drop out of a race.  I am still fighting them, but I have not quit a race since the first marathon that I mentioned a few posts ago.

I agree that everyone has some of "it" in them.  And most people here will not ever make it to the elite level, because people typically "peak" in their early to mid thirties for their ultimate endurance ability.  But we're talkign professional level there!  There are many people who get into the sport (or one of the individual ones) and in a few years become FOP and AG winners consistently, even though they started late in life.  But how many people here actually have the ambitions and life goal to be a professional athlete??  Very few, but the ones that do certainly don't say they "can't."

The reality is that not everyone can train themselves to the level where they can run a 5 flat, let alone sustain that over any longer period.  But anyone physically able CAN train to the level where they can run in the low 6's (for men) or low 7's (for women), and with consistency.  Same with cycling.

Mental aspect seems to be a big limiter for beginners.  Now if someone had logs that showed 15 hours a week of solid training and had coaches and good nutrition, etc. etc. and THEN posted that they could only get to a certain level even after years of trying, THEN you could say that their genetics are a limiter.

I put out some of our own as great examples of what you can do if you put your mind to it - KathyG, Oliveview, hangloose, Spokes, and on and on ................

2007-05-24 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Despite what mommy and daddy told you, not all of us are going to be the best at whatever we try, as long as we put in the hard work.

Yes, time and work can give us lots of improvements, but not everyone is Lance Armstrong, Steve Prefontaine, or Michael Phelps. Genetics play a big role, but it's no doubt they have incredible work ethics too.

More training doesn't always equal better results. I think if you put most of the BT people here and started training them 15-20 hours a week, a lot would end up injured, sick, burnt out or divorced. More isn't always more.

2007-05-24 8:48 AM
in reply to: #814872

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Daremo - 2007-05-24 8:40 AM

The reality is that not everyone can train themselves to the level where they can run a 5 flat, let alone sustain that over any longer period.  But anyone physically able CAN train to the level where they can run in the low 6's (for men) or low 7's (for women), and with consistency.  Same with cycling.

Please direct me to one shred of objective evidence that supports this statement.

2007-05-24 8:50 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
IMO there should be a distinction of what you guys are referring to “having IT”. If you refer as having IT as qualifying to KONA, racing ITU or of course winning a big race then yes, I agree that hard work will only take you so far and genetics play a big role. BUT for most peeps around here hard work WILL take them a long way because as it have been discussed many times the biggest limiter for most of us is a lack of an aerobic base and the only way to develop that is by training and training and training LOTS. But, that brings us to the rest of the limiter most AGers face: time availability, work, family, social activities, etc.

The fact that many people see this as a hobby and they are only willing to spend so much time training it becomes the biggest factor that limits their improvement/development. But of course it is a lot easier to buy into the whole, “I don’t have it” attitude rather than been realistic and say at my level, it is NOT because I don’t have IT, but it is because “I don’t want IT as much” and that’s ok.

I’ve seen athletes accomplish things they 1st thought impossible, and trust me if you speak of natural athletic gift they DIDN’T HAVE IT. But they did want it bad and work their tails off and guess what, each day they get better and better. But the hard work is not just over a few weeks or a few hrs every weekend, read here: YEARS, that's what it takes.

You can talk about gifted athletes such as Bryan who qualified to Kona on his 1st IM and it would be easy for many peeps to label him as: oh well he has IT. Well, yes he does, but also if you look at his logs he also has the dedication and will to train many many hours to accomplish his athletic dreams. IOW he might have more natural ability than many but he also train more than the next and that’s why he is heading to the big island.

Then you have other BTers, which on paper don’t have IT. They can’t get away with just training a few hrs and placing top in the AG. They have to work a bit harder to accomplish that and guess what, through months of hard work they are also improving and getting faster to competitive levels.

IMO, at this level it is not a matter of having IT; it is a matter of how much you want IT…

2007-05-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: #814879

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

sebjamesm - 2007-05-24 8:42 AM Despite what mommy and daddy told you, not all of us are going to be the best at whatever we try, as long as we put in the hard work. Yes, time and work can give us lots of improvements, but not everyone is Lance Armstrong, Steve Prefontaine, or Michael Phelps. Genetics play a big role, but it's no doubt they have incredible work ethics too. More training doesn't always equal better results. I think if you put most of the BT people here and started training them 15-20 hours a week, a lot would end up injured, sick, burnt out or divorced. More isn't always more.

No one's saying everyone can be the "best".  Or just train hard and you too can win the Tour.  We're basically talking about moving towards a "competitive" level with your AG (again, not necessarily winning).

Most people on BT are no where close to 15-20 hours and it wouldn't take anything near that dramatic to have them see substantial improvements.  There are many valid reasons people may choose not to put in the work necessary to make these improvements.  Not having "it" is not one of them.

2007-05-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #814893

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Look in the mirror my friend .... and then look at the race results of the races you participate in and ask those people how long they have been at it and how hard they work.

Yes, at a certain point age becomes a factor as to how "fast" people can go.

But I want someone to tell the 62 year old guy that beat me in the 5k by around :30 or so back in Nov. of '05 that he shouldn't be running that fast because he's too old ........

2007-05-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #814872

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I put out some of our own as great examples of what you can do if you put your mind to it - KathyG, Oliveview, hangloose, Spokes, and on and on ................

Rick - for the most part I agree with you except for one thing.  I think the OP was referring to getting to that elite club.  There's a big diff between going from running 12 min miles to 7.5 min miles and going from 7.5 to 5 or 5.5 min miles (for distances of at least 5-10K).  I think that's where you run into the athletes that have both the will and the genetics, IMO.

2007-05-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: #814903

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
hangloose - 2007-05-24 8:52 AM

Rick - for the most part I agree with you except for one thing.  I think the OP was referring to getting to that elite club.  There's a big diff between going from running 12 min miles to 7.5 min miles and going from 7.5 to 5 or 5.5 min miles (for distances of at least 5-10K).  I think that's where you run into the athletes that have both the will and the genetics, IMO.

No.  The OP was talking about the top 10% of his AG. 

2007-05-24 8:55 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Back when I was working as a professional hypnotist, My partner and I got a decent amount of pro athletes as clients looking to impove or find "IT" {no Gatorade and Ebay I'm not infringing on your freakin copywrited commercials, lay off me} , One thing that struck me was how many of them had that same attitude that they will never have "it" as compared to some of their peers. but they realized that the mental aspect would make up that difference. sounds kind of familiar to this thread. As long as your human you are most likely going to be, at one point or another, thinking that someone else has an advantgage compared to you. in sports, business, getting the hot girl or guy, or in my case spelling.

I'm not saying for all sports but for quite a few, once your on that elite level, the actual physical abilites are not that different it's how you are able to use what you have, and can you perform when it's crunch time.

ahh nestle crunch bars mmmm
2007-05-24 9:00 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I'll agree that getting to top of that level is probably a 50/50 genetic vs. work ethic debate.  But someone can still get to that level if they are dedicated and start early.

That is a whole different issue where we would be talking about someone starting young and nurturing talent.  The Prefontaine's, Salazar's, Phelps, Woods and Armstrongs of the world DID start crazy young and had their talents nurtured, which is why they got to the level they were.  But for every one of them, there are 100 athletes who were not as naturally gifted that busted their azz and got almost to the same level, and that are competitive at the elite level.

I'll concede this point ..... that if one did not start in their teens/twenties with some form of endurance or sport that it will be a lot harder to get to that elite level.  but I go back to my other statement ...... how many here have that as a life goal??  Only a few at best .......

2007-05-24 9:01 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
sebjamesm - 2007-05-24 8:42 AM Despite what mommy and daddy told you, not all of us are going to be the best at whatever we try, as long as we put in the hard work. Yes, time and work can give us lots of improvements, but not everyone is Lance Armstrong, Steve Prefontaine, or Michael Phelps. Genetics play a big role, but it's no doubt they have incredible work ethics too. More training doesn't always equal better results. I think if you put most of the BT people here and started training them 15-20 hours a week, a lot would end up injured, sick, burnt out or divorced. More isn't always more.

Do you think they can't do it physically or they can't because they have other life priorities?

Edited by amiine 2007-05-24 9:02 AM
2007-05-24 9:09 AM

User image

over a barrier
"having it" you go from 2hr olympic to 1:55 olympic....working your a** off gets you to the 2hr olympic. It doesn't happen overnight and might take years and years depending on where you start.

One of my favorite quotes on sports "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Last weekend was the anniversary of my first triathlon. In one season I went from the MBOP AG (M30-34) to 36/115 (AG) in one year taking 13 mins off my time in a sprint. I didn't do it by training here and there. I trained through the winter and will hit my entire 2006 training time in 8 months this year. The hills on the course that I could barely climb last year became much easier...

The limitiers in people's lives isn't their body, its the 'other' family job etc. I don't have kids/family or a stressfull job so Triathlon now takes center stage and the results will show that...

The people at the top make triathlon a top priority or was a top priority for a long time...

2007-05-24 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
To me It = natural ability.  Tiger woods could swing a golf club at a young age perfectly, michael phelps was probably a fish as a kid.  They did have someone nuture and coach him but most of it is natural.  Yes I can work hard to be top 10% but don't have IT.  Never did never will, but I can definately get better and compete but only from hard work, not my god given natural ability.  I would have found out at a young age I had it.  Now there are probably people who never did squat as a kid to know they had it in golf, swimming or biking, but all kids ran at some point even messing around and you knew growing up who the fast kids were, they are probably still somewhat fast today even with out training.
2007-05-24 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I am a firm believer that hard work can get you really close to what you want.  To get to the professional elite level, I think genetics has something to do with it (like 15%), but the rest is hard work.  In regards to getting in the top 10% of a/g or overall, I think it's about hard work.  'It' allows you to get there easier and with slightly less hours.

Here is a personal example.  In HS and college, I was on the cross country team.  I was the 4th or 5th guy.  The guy that was good enough for the team, but just because they needed the points.  I worked hard in practice but was never better than 4th on the team.  Same in college.  Swimming was horrible.  I did my first sprint tri (400 meters) and walked the second half.  Luckily it was in a shallow lake.  Biking, I got dropped within 15 miles, then 20 miles, etc. I worked hard at trying to stay with the pack.

Now, after 2 yrs of hard work and concentrated training, I'm in the top 5% overall, took my best 100m time from 1:45 all out to 1:16 at the end of practice Tuesday and I challenge the sprint at the end of our Sunday roadie rides. 

So yes, it can be done.  You just have to train properly and go after it.  It's a choice.  I choose to put the work in and am LUCKY that I have an understanding wife.  Family support helps a lot too.

Trust me....if I can do it, anyone can.  It just might take longer or shorter for some.

2007-05-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #814815

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

I think that like most things, you can put in a medium to hard amount of work and see a huge improvement from where you started. But the higher to the top you get, the harder it is to see improvement. Examples - dieting - lose 20 pounds, hard, but doable, but the last 5 pounds? Takes as long or longer than the 20 took. Running - go from a 11 minute mile to an 8 minute mile, hard but doable. 8-6, very hard.

That being said, and yes I'm just starting, but I think that the amount of work to get from BOP to MOP will be less than to get from MOP to top 10%.

2007-05-24 9:17 AM

User image

Runner

My $0.02 cents.....

It depends on what level you want to reach.  Genetics must play some role.  Otherwise, how would the Kenyans be so dominant in running?  And not even all Kenyans, but primarily members of a specific tribe?  Also, there are limiting factors that are predetermined.  You can change your VO2Max to some extent, but chances are you're never going to get it up to level that elite endurance athletes have, no matter how much you train.

Anyone can qualify for Boston, but they need to put in the training.  I don't think there's a person out there who can't physically accomplish that, barring physical disabilities.

In terms of why the 30-39 AGers are as competitive as they are.....That one's simple: time.  Most of those athletes have been involved in competitive endurance athletics for many many many years.  They are finally hitting their peaks at that time frame.  Sure, maturity and focus are factors, but they can't substitute the massive amount of training already in the bank that most elite and top AG athletes have over the rest.  If any of us spent the last 10-15 years putting in 100 mile weeks for running, or comparable for swimming and biking, we'd be able to be much more competitive at this point, too.  Most of those elite runners weren't the top runners in college.  Sure, they were better than most, but they weren't running away with titles all the time.

So, yes, genetics plays a role in determining elite athletes, but amount of training is also key, and can help overcome certain genetic shortfalls. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  

of 8