BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-17 7:15 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-18 2:47 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Marc, my personal feeling is that this stuff actually originates in the spine. Back muscle strength and flexibility. Problems there result in piriformis, IT band, hamstring, calf and achiles issues...

Yeah.  When I was having sciatica it was ultimately low spine/ SI joint.  Another thing I've come to realize from my Osteopath (I think the Canadian College of Osteopathy has a school in Montreal.....)  is that the cause may not be at the point of pain/tightness.  I almost always have issues with my right hip/leg but it's my left side that needs to be worked on.  The right side gets irritated because it has to compensate and overwork for the issue on the left.

Hope you get it all sorted out Marc.  

2014-07-18 6:36 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by TankBoy

It really is remarkable to have so many smart, hard-working, level-headed and FAST racers in this group. For me I find every member of this group to be very, very motivational. Knowing that you are all here often gives me the extra push I need when the going gets a little tough in training or on race day. So, a sincere THANK YOU ALL for that. After reading everyone's race reports from the past few weeks I really am genuinely humbled (and fortunate) to be part of this group.

I rarely post in here, but I check in about twice a day, because I get a bunch from you all. Your racing, training, knowledge and helpfulness has been an inspiration. I too would like to say THANK YOU.  Great races across the board recently as well, congratulations!

Marc, I hope you get your pain issues figured out.

2014-07-18 8:16 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Fred D I know injuries pretty well and I certainly understand racing half trained ala mont tremblant 70.3 last year. Are you doing massage for the tightness? Trigger point stuff?
I am working with a guy that does ART, so he fixes the seized up muscle, but not the the root cause. I think, it's about more stretching and probably building up strength where there are some deficiencies (weak adductors and maybe glutes). And recognizing I am not 20 anymore :-)

You're not 20 and James isn't 45…  As my grandmother used to say, getting old stinks, but it beats the alternative.    For ME, contralateral core work really helps stabilizing.  For some reason, when my lower back hurts, it's my abs (and I noticed that as I built pectoral strength swimming this winter, my rhomboid and teres muscles were screaming).  Balanced strength and flexibility - good plan, but hard to fit in with the s/b/r (said the shortsighted triathlete)!

James - that really sux.   Recovery is boring enough, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  I'm with Fred on the easy swim, plus lots of fluids and maybe a nice rare steak (or other iron source for a few days).  Prolly don't need the steak, but it's a good reason to splurge.  

SERIOUS question on kicking (ruh roh).  Arend, I think you said that you worked on the kick this winter but it's back to baseline now.  Do others feel like a strong kick is something that you have to work to maintain (as in continuing big sets even within a decent swim block, as opposed to big swim blocks without kick focus)?  Or is it something that once you get down you can maintain with just consistent swimming (rather than 3k kick sets!)?

Chris (and Rusty!) - nicely done on the track.  I reeeeeeally miss my Track-day-Tuesdays, but my hammy is still tweaky and I don't want to risk an audible POP!  Good job and good on ya' both.

Matt

2014-07-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D Marc, my personal feeling is that this stuff actually originates in the spine. Back muscle strength and flexibility. Problems there result in piriformis, IT band, hamstring, calf and achiles issues...

Great point.  Look up and down the kinetic chain as well as side to side (Arend, you beat me to that one).  I've definitely experienced exactly this, but more with my joints (knee hurts from a tight hip, which hurts from… etc.).

Too many (slowly) moving parts...

Matt

2014-07-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

SERIOUS question on kicking (ruh roh).  Arend, I think you said that you worked on the kick this winter but it's back to baseline now.  Do others feel like a strong kick is something that you have to work to maintain (as in continuing big sets even within a decent swim block, as opposed to big swim blocks without kick focus)?  Or is it something that once you get down you can maintain with just consistent swimming (rather than 3k kick sets!)?

Well, I worked on it but didn't keep at it long enough to really make it stick.  

I honestly think those 3k kick sets are complete madness!  I started out pretty simple - 8 x 25 hard.  Then 4 x 50 -> 6 x 50 -> 8 x 50 -> 4 x 100.  I don't think I got past that.  I just threw it in at the beginning of every (or most) swim workout after my warmup.  If you were to do a kick focus and get yourself to the point where you have a strong consistent and effective kick then I suspect you could maintain it fairly well with something like the 8 x 50 or 4 x 100.  The one thing I had to commit to was doing them HARD.  

2014-07-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I finally went sub-1:20 on a 100 free this morning!!  I'm super excited about it!  It's been a "goal" of mine for a while....and probably one I was capable of, but it's never been a focus and it's not all that often we do all-out 100's.

I will admit, though, that it came after 400m worth of kick sets, so I guess there must be some truth in doing kick sets

Coach said to do 4x100 on 2:00 and he wanted them all coming in sub-1:25.  First one (after 400 worth of kicking, so was basically a warm-up) was 1:23, second 1:21, third was 1:19-1:20 (so I wasn't goin to count it)....and the fourth one came in at 1:18, so definitely sub-1:20!! 

2014-07-18 9:50 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice work Nicole!  Even better to have done it at the end of a set like that.

2014-07-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I finally went sub-1:20 on a 100 free this morning!!  I'm super excited about it!  It's been a "goal" of mine for a while....and probably one I was capable of, but it's never been a focus and it's not all that often we do all-out 100's.

I will admit, though, that it came after 400m worth of kick sets, so I guess there must be some truth in doing kick sets

Coach said to do 4x100 on 2:00 and he wanted them all coming in sub-1:25.  First one (after 400 worth of kicking, so was basically a warm-up) was 1:23, second 1:21, third was 1:19-1:20 (so I wasn't goin to count it)....and the fourth one came in at 1:18, so definitely sub-1:20!! 

WOOT!  Congrats!  That's a great feeling, knowing that your hard work is paying off.  

Matt

Edit: to spell my own name right.  Sheesh….

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-07-18 11:54 AM
2014-07-18 12:50 PM

I was on the track yesterday with a series of "comfortable fast" 200s and 100s: 6x200s in :38 and then 8x100s in :14 - after a good warm-up I was able to hit the targets perfectly. The funny thing though is after I do track work my coach will usually have me do a 400 or two at race-pace and I am always terrible at that after doing speed work. My first "race-pace" 400 was in 1:20, so I slowed it down a lot and the second one was 1:28. They should have been 1:36 or so. Heh. Ah, well.

The other really funny thing I always think about when on the track there running "fast" - Usain Bolt's world record 200 is twice as fast as I was running mine in. Just crazy.

LOL, it's all relative, you're running nearly 2X as fast as me! 

I am taking another piece of the group's advice and going to try to sit in on our local roadie donut ride tomorrow.  A bit nervous, as it can get sketchy at the front (where I don't intend to be), and riding with new folks, not sure where to put myself.  I think I am a fairly good bike handler but sure I will screw something up....

wich me luck

2014-07-18 12:52 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

niiiiiice.  Fanastic descending work!

Just remember, when you get a set of 4 times whatever, you only need to actually make 3!  

2014-07-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Just remember, when you get a set of 4 times whatever, you only need to actually make 3!  

x2 - you don't descend a set better than that! The bolded part reminds me of the first time I did a one-on-one swim lesson with my coach. He had me doing 10x something on an interval and on the last one I crushed it, beating all the other intervals by 2 or 3 seconds. I popped up out of the water all proud of myself, but he immediately berated me for sandbagging the earlier intervals. heh.

And speaking of intervals I have a throw-away race this weekend in which if I race it like I am supposed to I will most likely have a rather crumby run. It has a lumpy bike (race name is "Tri the Mountains") and I am suppose to ride all the ascents somewhat over my current wattage cap. We are trying to figure out exactly where my edges are. So today I had 5x hill repeats on one of our local little "mountains" (1.5 miles @ 8% grade) just to give my coach an idea of how much over I should shoot. after a warm up, the first interval was to just ride up as easy as possible, and then the next 4 were assigned at 245 watts. I went:

Interval 1: 12:17, 182w/189NP, 143HR, Cadence 78
Interval 2: 9:31, 243w/244NP, 161HR, Cadence 78
Interval 3: 9:29, 245w/247NP, 163HR, Cadence 80
Interval 4: 9:26, 246w/252NP, 165HR, Cadence 77
Interval 5: 9:22, 247w/250NP, 167HR, Cadence 77

I am kinda proud of that set - interesting to see what one watt difference makes on each interval.

2014-07-18 6:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by cdban66

It really is remarkable to have so many smart, hard-working, level-headed and FAST racers in this group. For me I find every member of this group to be very, very motivational. Knowing that you are all here often gives me the extra push I need when the going gets a little tough in training or on race day. So, a sincere THANK YOU ALL for that. After reading everyone's race reports from the past few weeks I really am genuinely humbled (and fortunate) to be part of this group.

I rarely post in here, but I check in about twice a day, because I get a bunch from you all. Your racing, training, knowledge and helpfulness has been an inspiration. I too would like to say THANK YOU.  Great races across the board recently as well, congratulations!

Marc, I hope you get your pain issues figured out.

Hey Chris! 

2014-07-18 6:06 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D

Swam this am. Both on the bike and swim my form seems a little sloppy post race. Less coordinated so to speak.

Probably normal.

So you guys work or your kick in swimming much?

I think it's safe for you to step in and call it an end to the thread.

I suspect a /end thread would work about as well here as it did over in TT.  

Marc, you've been really (really) quiet here all summer.  What are your race plans - anything other than 70.3 WC?  I know you did Syracuse 70.3 on what was apparently a brute of a course.

I have been dealing with problems that move from the hip to the adductors to the groin, to the hipflexors, back to the glutes....name a muscle in the hip area, it pops up there on a given day. It's mostly very very tight muscles, so I am trying to figure it out. I did Syracuse in half shape. I did no real speed work this year so I am not in prime shape I will do 70.3 WC and probably Silverman. Maybe on Oly. I will do FINA worlds.

Marc - I had very similar issues 3 years ago. The solution for me was pilates, yoga, and lateral strength work. And (the fun part!) switching a lot of my running to rather rugged single track trail stuff - mostly easy in the beginning, but GREAT for building lateral strength, which just about every one of us neglect, but need.

Glad to know you are still following the group - I have been meaning to reach out to you to see if you could help me with a little aero testing on the bike - would you be interested in that? I would be happy to share everything with the group.

2014-07-18 6:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
I have been meaning to reach out to you to see if you could help me with a little aero testing on the bike - would you be interested in that? I would be happy to share everything with the group.

Of course!!!

I will make an effort to try and follow, but never hesitate to PM or email me.
2014-07-18 6:12 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

You testing out the leg shaving thing Rusty?  

2014-07-18 6:20 PM

Extreme Veteran

You testing out the leg shaving thing Rusty?  

Don't laugh!

I did a test last week. I was testing the Giro AA against te A2 and got a pretty consistent 3-5w for the A2.
Last few runs I did the leg shaving thing.
Between 2 runs I am sitting on the side of my Jeep, with an electric razor, shaving away. BTW, I am a 6 one the chewbacca scale.
This 80 yearr old lady walks uo to me, her car parked next to mine. She gives me a very, very perplexed look. So I started to "try" and explain.
"Cyclists do this because if we crash, it heals much better",
"Yes, I am sure it does".

Bottom line : 0 difference

2014-07-18 8:53 PM

Originally posted by marcag This 80 yearr old lady walks uo to me, her car parked next to mine. She gives me a very, very perplexed look. So I started to "try" and explain. "Cyclists do this because if we crash, it heals much better", "Yes, I am sure it does".

Old lady was probably wondering why you were shaving on the side of the road and not at home...LOL.

Bottom line : 0 difference

Not surprised.  

2014-07-18 8:58 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Tomorrow is the start of the Strava Rapha Rising 3 ranges challenge.  Climb 8800 meters (just under 29k feet) in 9 days.  I was hoping to get a 10k foot day in tomorrow and a 120ish mile (5k feet) ride Sunday but weather isn't looking too good.  The outskirts of a tropical storm is supposed to bring us heavy rain.  We'll see what happens.

2014-07-18 11:00 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

x2 - you don't descend a set better than that! The bolded part reminds me of the first time I did a one-on-one swim lesson with my coach. He had me doing 10x something on an interval and on the last one I crushed it, beating all the other intervals by 2 or 3 seconds. I popped up out of the water all proud of myself, but he immediately berated me for sandbagging the earlier intervals. heh.

And speaking of intervals I have a throw-away race this weekend in which if I race it like I am supposed to I will most likely have a rather crumby run. It has a lumpy bike (race name is "Tri the Mountains") and I am suppose to ride all the ascents somewhat over my current wattage cap. We are trying to figure out exactly where my edges are. So today I had 5x hill repeats on one of our local little "mountains" (1.5 miles @ 8% grade) just to give my coach an idea of how much over I should shoot. after a warm up, the first interval was to just ride up as easy as possible, and then the next 4 were assigned at 245 watts. I went:

Interval 1: 12:17, 182w/189NP, 143HR, Cadence 78
Interval 2: 9:31, 243w/244NP, 161HR, Cadence 78
Interval 3: 9:29, 245w/247NP, 163HR, Cadence 80
Interval 4: 9:26, 246w/252NP, 165HR, Cadence 77
Interval 5: 9:22, 247w/250NP, 167HR, Cadence 77

I am kinda proud of that set - interesting to see what one watt difference makes on each interval.

Talk about dialed in - very nice set!  

I'm wondering what the rest interval was - just the descent?  I'm wondering if you think the HR increase was due to the extra W or possibly to HR drift across the workout?  

I know that a given Wattage for me toward the end of a workout will take a bit more effort and ever so slightly higher HR (much more so when I'm less fit, as short rides feel a LOT longer then) than just after the warmup...

HR aside, hitting those targets so spot on is impressive!

Matt

2014-07-20 8:18 AM

Master
Northern IL

Well, I worked on it but didn't keep at it long enough to really make it stick.  

I honestly think those 3k kick sets are complete madness!  I started out pretty simple - 8 x 25 hard.  Then 4 x 50 -> 6 x 50 -> 8 x 50 -> 4 x 100.  I don't think I got past that.  I just threw it in at the beginning of every (or most) swim workout after my warmup.  If you were to do a kick focus and get yourself to the point where you have a strong consistent and effective kick then I suspect you could maintain it fairly well with something like the 8 x 50 or 4 x 100.  The one thing I had to commit to was doing them HARD.  

Guess it depends on "maintain". Some of these former swimmers will come into masters and out kick me from the get go. Think maybe 10 yrs or more since they were competitive. The one stayed out for 30 years or so!. I'd do Arend's 50 sets on a 1:05 s.i., coming in :57-:60.

2014-07-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Little family camping trip over the weekend up in Wisconsin. Wanted to get in a bigger ride and wasn't sure where to go. The answer was 42. As in Rt 42 going up along Lake Michigan.

2014-07-20 8:41 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Little family camping trip over the weekend up in Wisconsin. Wanted to get in a bigger ride and wasn't sure where to go. The answer was 42. As in Rt 42 going up along Lake Michigan.

Ha!

That answer usually doesn't have a question...

2014-07-20 10:08 AM

Little Harbour
7 days until my race....time to start tapering. I will do one more swim run and bike workout, then rest for the last few days.
2014-07-20 4:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Ha!

That answer usually doesn't have a question...

That answer has all the questions.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38737 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74219 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.