BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-09 2:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Alright, in the spirit of the challenge, I will do 10 pushups each time I grab a beer from the refrigerator.

2015-01-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Jet Black Alright, in the spirit of the challenge, I will do 10 pushups each time I grab a beer from the refrigerator.

Atta boy!

2015-01-09 2:55 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I think we'll be losing Chris to happy hour in about twenty minutes

2015-01-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by laffinrock

Alrighty, Mighty Mad Manatees!  This week's tally is done and here are the results, reported in terms of % of successful days since not everybody started on day 1.  If anybody has any ideas for better ways to report, I'm open to suggestions.

• 100% - 16 people
  • 87.5% - 5 people

We're doing great, folks.  We're over a quarter of the way through the month and there's lots of good stuff in your logs.  Just keep swimming, Manatees, just keep swimming (and biking and running and stretching and lifting and mowing and vacuuming and all the other stuff you do)!!

I would be in for being a part of this, but I believe that taking a day off is important.  So, I'll never hit 100%, but I'll consistently do 6/7.

Tom, I feel the same.  On my "day off" I do 10 min of stretching/foam rolling for the challenge.

x2

This is exactly what I'm doing.  I was excited about it as much as a way to hold me to not taking a rest day without ANY work as just being consistent - actually, much more so for the "getting credit for "PT"" aspect...  Turns out that I now need that, too (grumble). 

On another point, orange has been scientifically proven to be the fastest color.  Followed closely by white; while black is the most intimidating, and blue (of the right hue) is the most uplifting of spirit - especially if limned in white on a black background and with orange accents.  Don't even question this, as it's been carefully researched and statistically proven (although I'll here also offer that 72.3 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot).

And GO RACERS (and heal up us-es)!

Matt

ETA:  or, "What Salty said." 

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-01-09 3:01 PM
2015-01-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Four weeks vacation time is a bit much for me.   Went in today to get ready to start the semester tomorrow.     Been exercising most every day, but just enough to maintain and minimally gain.   Muscle mass, that is.  It's something men of my age group have to worry about.    Have avoided the pool and will wait until the resolutionists wain.    There are next to no local events to compete in until February.     Will do a set of weights in a few.    Nothing major, but a routine of about 8 exercises and will space it out as not to even break a sweat.   This routine uses two sets of hand weight.  Mine are 10lbs and 15lbs.   It's cold but with abundant sunshine.  The sun room is cozy warm.  One does not always have to knock oneself out to get a good work out in.    Afterwards will bake a potato and grill a steak.   A Tequila Sunrise would go nicely with said meal.

Did a 5K around the local high school track the other day.     I wanted to see where I am in running ability.    Ran it in 23:12.    Not bad, all things considered.    Don't think I'll ever get back to my high school and boot camp times.     Sub six minute miles are long gone in the rear view mirror.  Oo la.   Thinking of just concentrating on Masters events and crit races this year.    We will see.

Now to do my workout.   A friend turned me on to the music of Joyce Cooling.    Will listen to her and enjoy this work out.

2015-01-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by cdban66

How true it is! I think I've taken a half dozen in my life and I just know better. Thanks for the reminder 

You get a pass on that one since you're wife is in it, haha. Maybe we can have a weekly awkward selfie contest for giggles.

I should talk. I just posted a kitfie (selfie + cat) that reveals all the glory of my nostrils

Cute, but be careful, he may like that spot. and always be there, even when doing dishes.

Or even when he weighs 10 pounds!  (fingers crossed for that

Matt

2015-01-09 3:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Today starts early my friend!!!!! When things start to head south, it is time to head to the beach. In this case, the local watering hole is my beach. 

Barkeep, something light and domestic, please. I'm watching my figure you know.

Just like the rest of you. Cue the rim shot.

2015-01-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Today starts early my friend!!!!! When things start to head south, it is time to head to the beach. In this case, the local watering hole is my beach. 

Oh we're watching your figure alright

2015-01-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Have to share this one with all you feeshy types.  I went a bit nutso this morning in the pool (not being able to run is doing weird things to me) and toward the end of the workout did a lap each of breast, back and fly.

CR@P that was H@RD

It was interesting, though, as breast and back used to be my rest strokes (fly always was - and probably forever will be - painful), but my freestyle form has improved so much over the last year of actually trying to learn how to swim (rather than survive across distances in the ocean), that I felt like I was gliding doing a freestyle recovery set after.

I SO didn't have the feel for the water with those other strokes or even know how to do them, it felt - compared to how the crawl now feels (much more natural).  I can see the benefit of those strokes to my freestyle (and can feel it, having now done it) in a variety of ways and almost even want to learn how to do them right...

OK - maybe masters isn't such a bad idea to change it up and add some spice!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Matt

2015-01-09 3:47 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

PLEASE PLEASE tell me that by saying, that you did not mean ANY of the mass produced, overly marketed swill that blankets over 90 percent of the industry. There has got to be a local brew to enjoy.
2015-01-09 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

My wife started stocking this.  What is she trying to tell me??!!??

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-09 3:58 PM

2015-01-09 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

PLEASE PLEASE tell me that by saying, that you did not mean ANY of the mass produced, overly marketed swill that blankets over 90 percent of the industry. There has got to be a local brew to enjoy.

Amen to that.  We have got a lot of local microbreweries for a town this size.  In fact, they just established a beer trail that one would be hard presssed to get through in an evening.  I've got a kegerator that I have endless possibilities for.  So I am constantly torn between great taste and less filling.

2015-01-09 4:36 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by popsracer

AHHHHH my eyes my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It burns NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
2015-01-09 5:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Alrighty, Mighty Mad Manatees!  This week's tally is done and here are the results, reported in terms of % of successful days since not everybody started on day 1.  If anybody has any ideas for better ways to report, I'm open to suggestions.

• 100% - 16 people
  • 87.5% - 5 people

We're doing great, folks.  We're over a quarter of the way through the month and there's lots of good stuff in your logs.  Just keep swimming, Manatees, just keep swimming (and biking and running and stretching and lifting and mowing and vacuuming and all the other stuff you do)!!

I would be in for being a part of this, but I believe that taking a day off is important.  So, I'll never hit 100%, but I'll consistently do 6/7.

Tom, I feel the same.  On my "day off" I do 10 min of stretching/foam rolling for the challenge.

Yeah, "off" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. More often than not, especially for anyone with some experience under their belt, off doesn't mean inactive. It's a perfect day to do some stretching/yoga/drills/cross-training etc. 

I'll admit, I do like having a day off for the mental break, not just the physical one.  I'm relatively new to training every day and find it really challenging to push myself to do something every single day.

2015-01-09 7:19 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Originally posted by glfprncs

A day of blessings:

1. I ran 4 miles at a 9:35 pace. For a 10:30-11:30 min/miler, I'm AMAZED! I'm sure the cold for SC weather helped.

2. My husband, who is a professional caddie, met his new boss for this season. We're excited about the possibilities for a good year.

1. AWESOME!

2. Care to share who the golfer is so we can root for him and your husband?

New pro's name is Eric Barnes. He played last year on the PGA Canada and PGA Latin American tours with some positive results (several top 10 finishes). He finished T35 at Q-school this year, so he has decent status on the Web.com Tour.

Very good friends, though, are Russell Henley and Scott Brown (who lives in our neighborhood just up the street). Here's hoping Eric Barnes has a great year and is teeing off with those two on the PGA Tour in the upcoming year.

Regarding 'rest' days...these 3 below are what I do on rest days. They'd be livid without walkies. From left to right...James, T.C. and Louis.

Edited by glfprncs 2015-01-09 7:31 PM

(boys christmas.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
boys christmas.jpg (86KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-09 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

AHHHHH my eyes my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It burns NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ha!  Love it.

Just came from a meeting at a local pub.  13oz of More Cowbell (double maybe triple IPA from Houston - wicked good) and having a 471 double IPA now at home.  Kiiiiiinda high alcohol content, and therefore calories, but you gotta live.  

Matt

2015-01-09 8:04 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

• 100% - 16 people
  • 87.5% - 5 people

Yeah, "off" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. More often than not, especially for anyone with some experience under their belt, off doesn't mean inactive. It's a perfect day to do some stretching/yoga/drills/cross-training etc. 

I'll admit, I do like having a day off for the mental break, not just the physical one.  I'm relatively new to training every day and find it really challenging to push myself to do something every single day.

Many people do like the day off. Neither workout out every day or getting in a day off every week is really important, that would be recognizing what works best for them.

2015-01-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Jet Black Alright, in the spirit of the challenge, I will do 10 pushups each time I grab a beer from the refrigerator.

Atta boy!

I dunno, do you think you'll be drinking enough beer to equal doing push-ups for 10 min.?  I'm imagining a very drunk triathlete weaving around the kitchen saying, "I need more beer sho I c'n keep doin' push-upsh.  Th' Manateesh're countin' on me."

2015-01-09 10:08 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Oh that made me laugh!
2015-01-09 10:32 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs
Originally posted by glfprncs A day of blessings: 1. I ran 4 miles at a 9:35 pace. For a 10:30-11:30 min/miler, I'm AMAZED! I'm sure the cold for SC weather helped. 2. My husband, who is a professional caddie, met his new boss for this season. We're excited about the possibilities for a good year.
1. AWESOME! 2. Care to share who the golfer is so we can root for him and your husband?
New pro's name is Eric Barnes. He played last year on the PGA Canada and PGA Latin American tours with some positive results (several top 10 finishes). He finished T35 at Q-school this year, so he has decent status on the Web.com Tour. Very good friends, though, are Russell Henley and Scott Brown (who lives in our neighborhood just up the street). Here's hoping Eric Barnes has a great year and is teeing off with those two on the PGA Tour in the upcoming year. Regarding 'rest' days...these 3 below are what I do on rest days. They'd be livid without walkies. From left to right...James, T.C. and Louis.

Ha!  I know that look.  It's the "if you didn't feed me, I'd keeeeeeeeel you in your sleep for this". 

2015-01-09 11:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Ummmm....do I really have 4 pages to catch up on? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE????

ok, this is gonna be quick. Catching up on my sleep is more important with a trail run/ride tomorrow morning.

2015-01-09 11:28 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I hit my run tonight after work, and while it might have been the rapidly impending darkness as a cause, I managed to average faster than 12min/mile! Admittedly it was only 3 miles, but as I am coming from pretty much NOT running (seriously, how the heck did I complete that marathon?!?!?), its a decent start, and I will continue to increase and improve...I hope. And now here's a picture of a Madagascar Big Headed Turtle stepping on his friend's face:

2015-01-09 11:44 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Nancy- nice work on that run!

Mel- hope your dad is still feeling okay post first session. Good thoughts every day!

Chris- if I was pushing Mak past you eating that sundae, you'd be minus a bench spot...and a sundae.

Sean- Mary threw down the gauntlet, let us know how your head feels in the morning.

Yanti- positive news on you and kitty's health. Keep movin' along.

Freezing Manatees- I know I totally pay for it in the summer, but I ran at 6:30 last night in 60* breezes.

Matt- have a great race

2015-01-10 6:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Because we don't have enough groups to log in to and check, I give you.....

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/2477-manatees-of-mayhem

For the TR Manatees among us.

HOORAY!!! Thanks for setting this up - I'm in!

Melanie - I hope your dad has an easy time with chemo. Glad you are there with him.

re: selfies - my arms aren't long enough to get a good one. A friend suggested I get one of these :D
http://www.amazon.com/Selfie-stick-cell-phone-Rear-camera/dp/B00OL2...

Yanti - I love that kitty! And it sounds like things are FINALLY going your way! AWESOME!

Matt must feel like a rock star - being the only one racing he's getting ALLLLL the good vibes!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MATTTTTT!!!!

Yikes - crazy at work this week - well, I wasn't actually AT work - I was at seminars for 3 days and yesterday it snowed during rush hour so I TRIED to go to work but there were all these cars in my way so I went back home :D

My coach thinks my trainer road is tanking because I'm rolling out of bed and hitting the trainer with nothing in my stomach so 1. I'm picking up a new trainer today and 2. I'm going to try to ride later in the day to see if those things make any difference (I don't think 1 really has anything to do with it but I want it so there ) Stay tuned!

Have a great weekend all.
2015-01-10 6:36 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Because we don't have enough groups to log in to and check, I give you.....

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/2477-manatees-of-mayhem

For the TR Manatees among us.

HOORAY!!! Thanks for setting this up - I'm in!

Melanie - I hope your dad has an easy time with chemo. Glad you are there with him.

re: selfies - my arms aren't long enough to get a good one. A friend suggested I get one of these :D
http://www.amazon.com/Selfie-stick-cell-phone-Rear-camera/dp/B00OL2...

Yanti - I love that kitty! And it sounds like things are FINALLY going your way! AWESOME!

Matt must feel like a rock star - being the only one racing he's getting ALLLLL the good vibes!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MATTTTTT!!!!

Yikes - crazy at work this week - well, I wasn't actually AT work - I was at seminars for 3 days and yesterday it snowed during rush hour so I TRIED to go to work but there were all these cars in my way so I went back home :D

My coach thinks my trainer road is tanking because I'm rolling out of bed and hitting the trainer with nothing in my stomach so 1. I'm picking up a new trainer today and 2. I'm going to try to ride later in the day to see if those things make any difference (I don't think 1 really has anything to do with it but I want it so there ) Stay tuned!

Have a great weekend all.

What trainer are you getting?
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55405 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.