BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi manatees!

I am back from my lovely girls' weekend. We went to Le Scandinave Spa which is a super awesome place. If you do Tremblant, or Whistler I HIGHLY recommend going - i did IMMT 3 years ago and passed it 4 times on the bike but i didn't go. I kept thinking 'I should go there' but didn't. anyway, i went to the one that's closest to me and it was awesome! Who knew that hanging out outside in November around hot tubs, a sauna, a eucalyptus steam room would be so great! It really was. Did i say it was great yet?? 

I did a run while there which was also lovely. We were staying in a small town that is pretty outdoorsy so we were on great trails and saw a downed log from a beaver and later saw a bunny hopping around. We also went to a cidery not too far out of the city that was great. All in all just lovely

I did miss swimming last night - i was super tired and fell asleep right after my daughter went down at 8. Apparently i needed it. 

Glad to see everyone is okay despite some tough races, some spills and the drudgery of the treadmill ... 

Rad!!!! 

We just got back from Iceland.

We went to the Blue Lagoon 

and a couple other hot springs (which were a little more my style as they were less touristy and remote)

This is a geothermal spring fed pool, situated on the shoulder of Eyjafjallajökull. You had to hike through this beautiful river valley to get to it.

It was maybe 90-95 degrees and after having been in a cascading waterfall and fallen into the river while attempting to cross, it felt AMAZING.

Gorgeous pictures!  Looks like a fantastic vacation.  Iceland is someplace I hope to get to one day.

2015-11-11 1:27 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi manatees!

I am back from my lovely girls' weekend. We went to Le Scandinave Spa which is a super awesome place. If you do Tremblant, or Whistler I HIGHLY recommend going - i did IMMT 3 years ago and passed it 4 times on the bike but i didn't go. I kept thinking 'I should go there' but didn't. anyway, i went to the one that's closest to me and it was awesome! Who knew that hanging out outside in November around hot tubs, a sauna, a eucalyptus steam room would be so great! It really was. Did i say it was great yet?? 

I did a run while there which was also lovely. We were staying in a small town that is pretty outdoorsy so we were on great trails and saw a downed log from a beaver and later saw a bunny hopping around. We also went to a cidery not too far out of the city that was great. All in all just lovely

I did miss swimming last night - i was super tired and fell asleep right after my daughter went down at 8. Apparently i needed it. 

Glad to see everyone is okay despite some tough races, some spills and the drudgery of the treadmill ... 

Rad!!!! 

and a couple other hot springs (which were a little more my style as they were less touristy and remote)

This is a geothermal spring fed pool, situated on the shoulder of Eyjafjallajökull. You had to hike through this beautiful river valley to get to it.

It was maybe 90-95 degrees and after having been in a cascading waterfall and fallen into the river while attempting to cross, it felt AMAZING.

The pictures are so magical and special, it must've been a trip of a lifetime!

2015-11-11 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Hi manatees!

Rad!!!! 

Loved watching your trip unfold on Instagram. Adding Iceland to my bucket list!
2015-11-11 2:41 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for welcoming Zoe!  So far housetraining is going well. I mean, she still has a small bladder and gets little warning so it's not perfect but she's learning how to ask us and she is doing well when I am at work (I go home at lunch).  As far as chewing, she mostly plays with her own toys but she has noticed that Kevin touches the remote and the phone a lot so she wants to play with them (clearly they are fun toys!  Girls just want to have fun!).  She wanted to pull on the fringe on our area rugs and we put Bitter Apple on them and so far that has communicated that rug chewing is not appropriate behavior.  So far... 

Stacey - Sorry the race wasn't what you hoped for but remember to look forward, that's the direction you are going.  

Melanie - No more concussed Manatees!  I hope that you had a fun weekend despite the car attacking you and training interuptus.

Laura - I feel your flip turn dizziness.  :-(  I get motion sickness and have gotten sick on planes.  I would not be qualified to participate in Amazing Race.  I decided that swim enjoyment trumped the flip turn cool factor and I do open turns.  

Randee - Congrats on the half marathon relay!  I hope that DH is doing OK after the mail truck incident.

Monica - I'm glad that you survived the HIM and I hope that you are feeling better.  I'm sorry that it wasn't EPIC in a good way.

TJ - I hope that Moab was wonderful!

Jen - Glad that the spa met expectations!  (Randee, are you taking good notes?!)

Steve -  I hope that you are feeling better!

2015-11-11 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Look at the points of contact you have. The bike has five, 3 stable (hands & seat) and 2 in a fixed path of motion (feet). Running has 2 but they alternate, so generally not more than one at any point in time. Have zero quite frequently as you leave the ground between steps. Each step has to accomplish a lot more for both balance and maintaining position on the treadmill than anything (everything really) done on the trainer. You have to actively maintain your position to your surroundings while the belt is moving under you. Plus you have to keep yourself upright without having a stationary pushoff or hold point. Can you watch while walking on the treadmill?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I "can" walk on a treadmill but I still end up feeling kind of ill by the end if trying to watch something. At most I just keep an eye on speed/HR and listen to music. I think I just don't have very good balance. Could be genetic--I have seen my mom fall of the treadmill a lot--or the result of ear infections as a kid. At least I don't seem to have problems staying on my bike!

So jealous of the Iceland trip. Have always wanted to swim in the Blue Lagoon.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-11-11 4:32 PM
2015-11-11 11:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

As much as I don't like running on a treadmill I may need to consider one.  I have a great route for running at night around the harbor near my house.  It is smoothly paved, well lit, and no intersections.  Alas, I got stopped tonight by a security guard and told that the port is no longer allowing public use of the property after dark.  I was in shock as I have been running here for years.  Ughh!!

2015-11-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by popsracer

As much as I don't like running on a treadmill I may need to consider one.  I have a great route for running at night around the harbor near my house.  It is smoothly paved, well lit, and no intersections.  Alas, I got stopped tonight by a security guard and told that the port is no longer allowing public use of the property after dark.  I was in shock as I have been running here for years.  Ughh!!

That is a major letdown! 

2015-11-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Look at the points of contact you have. The bike has five, 3 stable (hands & seat) and 2 in a fixed path of motion (feet). Running has 2 but they alternate, so generally not more than one at any point in time. Have zero quite frequently as you leave the ground between steps. Each step has to accomplish a lot more for both balance and maintaining position on the treadmill than anything (everything really) done on the trainer. You have to actively maintain your position to your surroundings while the belt is moving under you. Plus you have to keep yourself upright without having a stationary pushoff or hold point. Can you watch while walking on the treadmill? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ I "can" walk on a treadmill but I still end up feeling kind of ill by the end if trying to watch something. At most I just keep an eye on speed/HR and listen to music. I think I just don't have very good balance. Could be genetic--I have seen my mom fall of the treadmill a lot--or the result of ear infections as a kid. At least I don't seem to have problems staying on my bike! So jealous of the Iceland trip. Have always wanted to swim in the Blue Lagoon.

Oof! Seems like something is certainly going on. No idea how to fix beyond more concentration. Not really helpful, right? Sounds like fixed bike trainers are fine, but would be wary if anyone ever suggests rollers. Seriously. Could have all those same treadmill issues show up on top of them being substantially harder to ride in the first place.

2015-11-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

That is a major letdown! 

Wow that does suck.

2015-11-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by melbo55

That is a major letdown! 

Wow that does suck.

Big bummer for sure. So sorry!
2015-11-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok, I need guidance...

After Moab I had the usual post race let-down (not good added to the already ever present grief) and started looking at trail ultras .  I'm not jumping to 100M or even 50M. I actually found a 52k trail race in Goodyear, AZ (near phoenix) in January. That one caught my attention as we will be in Flagstaff (not close but do-able) for hockey games that weekend. Then I got to thinking (really! I stopped to think about it before hitting the register button!) and thought maybe I should be taking some time off rather than ramping up for a longer race. This one looks fun, though, and the elevation profile looks pretty easy compared to what I've been  doing. There is a 20 miler I could "settle" for but is that still too much?

So then I found some races here in NM in the April/May time frame. One is a 45k, one is a 50k. Those seem so far away but I suppose would give me time to take a few weeks off then slowly build.

Thoughts?

Hey Erin, want to go to a hockey game in January?  

2015-11-12 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ok, I need guidance...

After Moab I had the usual post race let-down (not good added to the already ever present grief) and started looking at trail ultras .  I'm not jumping to 100M or even 50M. I actually found a 52k trail race in Goodyear, AZ (near phoenix) in January. That one caught my attention as we will be in Flagstaff (not close but do-able) for hockey games that weekend. Then I got to thinking (really! I stopped to think about it before hitting the register button!) and thought maybe I should be taking some time off rather than ramping up for a longer race. This one looks fun, though, and the elevation profile looks pretty easy compared to what I've been  doing. There is a 20 miler I could "settle" for but is that still too much?

So then I found some races here in NM in the April/May time frame. One is a 45k, one is a 50k. Those seem so far away but I suppose would give me time to take a few weeks off then slowly build.

Thoughts?

What part of January?  If mid to late, I'd say you have time to build to the 20 miler (I'm assuming you are at HM distance now) , but the 52k would be a bit much. 

As far as if you need time off or not, I don't know!  Are you feeling burnt out?  What has your racing and training schedule been like? I tend to keep running and racing throughout the year cuz that's what keeps me going and interested.   If I've built up to a particularly -for me, long race, my next stuff will be shorter to allow for recuperation.   YMMV!

2015-11-12 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hate that for you!  I know that one of the NC Bike Route 3 went through Camp Lejuene on NC 172.  That is now restricted access (since 9/11).  The NCDOT doesn't say that though and I went to ride that section in 2012 or 2013 only to find the entrance guarded.  :-(

2015-11-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

lol jumped the gun on that and didn't even write anything before hitting submit.

You can do it. But you are going to have to bump up your training time, volume and consistency considerably or you are going to have a bad time. It's going to have to be a lot more than your marathon.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-11-12 11:39 AM
2015-11-12 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

The 20 miler might be a good stepping stone and is very doable building from Moab.  I couldn't find an elevation gain number but from the profile it looks like about half the gain as Moab spread out over the longer distance.  52k (32 miles) is a pretty big jump for a two month build.

2015-11-12 12:30 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Just checked the forecast for my race this weekend and am looking at 24mph wind.  yuck yuck yuck.  I hate running in the wind.  I was already unsure of clothing because the race starts early evening and temps will drop from low 60's to upper 40's throughout the event.  Backwards from the usual morning race where temps rise and layers get tossed.  Might tie something extra around my waist for later to be on the safe side or maybe some arm warmers.

Looks like the wind will be a tailwind out and headwind for the fun part.  Sucks because the course will be crowded outbound with the HM runners and would have been pretty easy to find a big guy or two to draft behind.  I've heard the crowd really thins out when the marathons peels off from the half.

This also messes with my pace strategy.  I was going to go out +10 seconds over goal pace first third and pick it up through the next third and then take it from there.  Now, I think I have to take advantage of the tailwind early while not getting too crazy.  I've been really focusing on heart rate over the last few months which I think will help monitor my output each way. 

2015-11-12 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

lol jumped the gun on that and didn't even write anything before hitting submit.

You can do it. But you are going to have to bump up your training time, volume and consistency considerably or you are going to have a bad time. It's going to have to be a lot more than your marathon.

You and Steve both mentioned that I need to seriously increase my training. I was thinking the same thing which is why I wondered if I should do a later race. Right now is a good time of year for me because work hours ease up so I have more time (until 1/1). I keep thinking, though, about how your coach talks about if you don't take intentional time off you'll end up taking unintentional time off.  My mileage the last few weeks has been pretty low so maybe that's enough recovery?

If I do the 20M in January is that too long of a build to the 45k in April or the 50k in may?

2015-11-12 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just checked the forecast for my race this weekend and am looking at 24mph wind.  yuck yuck yuck.  I hate running in the wind.  I was already unsure of clothing because the race starts early evening and temps will drop from low 60's to upper 40's throughout the event.  Backwards from the usual morning race where temps rise and layers get tossed.  Might tie something extra around my waist for later to be on the safe side or maybe some arm warmers.

Looks like the wind will be a tailwind out and headwind for the fun part.  Sucks because the course will be crowded outbound with the HM runners and would have been pretty easy to find a big guy or two to draft behind.  I've heard the crowd really thins out when the marathons peels off from the half.

This also messes with my pace strategy.  I was going to go out +10 seconds over goal pace first third and pick it up through the next third and then take it from there.  Now, I think I have to take advantage of the tailwind early while not getting too crazy.  I've been really focusing on heart rate over the last few months which I think will help monitor my output each way. 

Ick, I don't mind some wind but 24mph is nuts! I like your idea of using HR to help you gauge effort both out and back. Clothing may not be too bad as you'll be warmed up before the temps drop.

2015-11-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

OH!!! And I was going to tell you, Salty, that DH and I went in to a new Sbux in Albuquerque yesterday and loved the design/decor. It felt rustic but environmentally friendly.  

2015-11-12 1:22 PM

User image

Seattle

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

You and Steve both mentioned that I need to seriously increase my training. I was thinking the same thing which is why I wondered if I should do a later race. Right now is a good time of year for me because work hours ease up so I have more time (until 1/1). I keep thinking, though, about how your coach talks about if you don't take intentional time off you'll end up taking unintentional time off.  My mileage the last few weeks has been pretty low so maybe that's enough recovery?

If I do the 20M in January is that too long of a build to the 45k in April or the 50k in may?

I am glad you think about that! If you notice I don't take time off after every race. It's planned into the bigger picture. Also, if you notice, I always run. Just about every day. But It's not all part of a build per se. When I prep for a marathon I like to think about the kind of volume I would like to run for training and take some time to build to it, way before the actual marathon training starts. THEN with about 16 weeks I actually start the marathon specific plan with focused workouts. The excellent thing about this is that you aren't trying to establish routine, run long long runs, add quality workouts and bring up volume all at the same time.

Running the 20M in Jan doesn't mean that you have to build until April or May. 

2015-11-12 1:24 PM

User image

Seattle

OH!!! And I was going to tell you, Salty, that DH and I went in to a new Sbux in Albuquerque yesterday and loved the design/decor. It felt rustic but environmentally friendly.  

Hmm which one was it? San Mateo and Montgomery? 

2015-11-12 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hmm which one was it? San Mateo and Montgomery? 

That one is actually across the street from my boss' office. I've only done the drive thru there.

This one was on Coors Bypass and 7 Bar Road (we were waiting for Costco to open)

2015-11-12 6:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

I think a couple of weeks of reduced volume is enough to recharge your battery and if you feel like ramping it back up then go for it.  When I take some time off it is as much about getting caught up with the rest of my life as the physical/mental recovery from training.  Sometimes it is hard to take the break because I love the training so much.

I think that a couple of months of additional training after incrementally building for the 20 miler would be enough to tackle the next challenge.  If you have not run beyond a marathon before, the first one is more of a learning experience anyway.  Time expectations will not mean a whole lot and the goal is to enjoy it as much as one can (gets tough in the latter stages), not injury yourself, and learn from the experience and from others.  Most ultra folks love to chat and you can get great insight from them.  The drastically reduced pace of these events allows for conversation with fellow runners if you wish.

I was actually surprised at how little (comparatively) some of the people had trained at the ultras that I have done.  Most of the people had done a number of them and understood the two most important things very, very well: nutrition and pacing.

2015-11-13 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

I think a couple of weeks of reduced volume is enough to recharge your battery and if you feel like ramping it back up then go for it.  When I take some time off it is as much about getting caught up with the rest of my life as the physical/mental recovery from training.  Sometimes it is hard to take the break because I love the training so much.

I think that a couple of months of additional training after incrementally building for the 20 miler would be enough to tackle the next challenge.  If you have not run beyond a marathon before, the first one is more of a learning experience anyway.  Time expectations will not mean a whole lot and the goal is to enjoy it as much as one can (gets tough in the latter stages), not injury yourself, and learn from the experience and from others.  Most ultra folks love to chat and you can get great insight from them.  The drastically reduced pace of these events allows for conversation with fellow runners if you wish.

I was actually surprised at how little (comparatively) some of the people had trained at the ultras that I have done.  Most of the people had done a number of them and understood the two most important things very, very well: nutrition and pacing.

I've been looking at ultra plans and seeing that the weekday runs are very marathon-esque in their distance but the weekends are back to back long runs with Monday and Friday as rest days. I saw one plan that I liked with a long run, never over 25 miles, on Saturday with an hour our hour.five on Sunday.

Like you said, they talk a lot about pacing and nutrition.

2015-11-13 12:07 PM

User image

Seattle

Ok, I need guidance...

Thoughts?

I've been looking at ultra plans and seeing that the weekday runs are very marathon-esque in their distance but the weekends are back to back long runs with Monday and Friday as rest days. I saw one plan that I liked with a long run, never over 25 miles, on Saturday with an hour our hour.five on Sunday.

Like you said, they talk a lot about pacing and nutrition.

You all know how I feel about expectations!

Pacing for an ultra is easy. Slow.As.Shyte. But the nutrition will be key. I didn't look at the specific races you are talking about but I imagine there will be some altitude. Remember how trying to take in nutrition with that beast is (cough cough pikes cough cough peak.) A half marathon is one thing but an ultra is likely impossible without the ability to take in some calories. 

It's even less about the miles and more about the time. Running that 46+ mile day on the PCT was such a different experience than a marathon. Like night and day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54779 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67355 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28409 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11971 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66874 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.