BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-06 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
Florida is terrific...I feel kind of like Doug after the red eye flight, but at least we are being driven around in big motor coaches...expo was fun, we got the very best picture (Kathy and I on the moon!)...will explain later...but it's mild (hi 60's) tomorrow's run should be in the low to mid 50's, wearing shorts and tshirts! Congrats to you, Kyla! Will report back after the fun! Free WI-fi and our hotel room is gorgeous...Port Orleans French Quarter...early wake up....oy! I think I am still in denial of what I have to do in the next few days but it will all be good if I take it nice and easy...and you, John, don't think I didn't see that....

2012-01-06 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

So, yesterday, I went for a run on a new trail.  I had a local (ultramarathoner) take me out and show me around.  Talk about being a bit intimidated.  Ends up he is also a running coach, so I got my share of pointers and some drills to work on.  Seems my form still sucks!  LOL 

Granted, I asked him to lay it on the line and be honest with me, but wow! my little ego took a hit.  Then 24 hrs. later I got over it.  I've decided that's not so bad.  Last year at this time I couldn't jog for more than a few minutes at a time and I worked my way through that.  So, now I just need to regroup and work on my form and technique.  Just a new focus, that's all.  I keep reminding myself that putting the time in now, will pay off for years to come.

Kim, can't wait to hear all about your race.

P.S.  Keep baiting hubby trying to convince him we need to come to Florida.  Today I told him all about Doug's handmade special Florida keepsake! 

Edited by jfought 2012-01-06 9:42 PM
2012-01-06 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3975635

User image

Master
Maryland
[

Sticks and stones and all...

Thanks, Steve, for the Cougar run today, for putting up with (and -- gasp! -- even praising!) my dog, and for sharing a special run with me.

Today marked the end of my 100-Day Run Challenge, and Cougar was the place to finish it. This was my own little personal challenge to run 100 days in a row, a minimum of :30. If I got sick or injured I wasn't going to try to be heroic or anything, but fortunately that never happened (one slight cold but it never became bad). Most days felt pretty good, and there really were only 2-3 days where it was a PITA to find the time to run. Not bad seeing as this streak covered Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and a family vacation! Props to the hubs who encouraged me and helped me find a way on those tricky days!!

Several people have asked me how I feel about it, how my running feels. I will say that I feel back to my "old self," in terms of most runs. My easy pace seems a bit faster than pre-injury, even though I've done no speed work. I'll be adding some structure to workouts in the future, including adding in the bike and swim, but trying to keep up the run consistency. My body likes running more days/week, even if they are shorter some days.

Way to set that goal and reach it  Kyla!! Nice work!

2012-01-06 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3975635

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2012-01-06 4:46 PM
swbkrun - 2012-01-06 9:12 AM
dalessit - 2012-01-06 7:12 AM

I think this might be a first in 3-4 years, we don't have the most pages in the mentor group forums.

slackers..

UNACCEPTABLE!

Kyla this means I will be throw sticks, branches, and rocks at you and your friends on the trails today so you can post all the details....  

2nd place is a set of steak knifes!

Thanks, Steve, for the Cougar run today, for putting up with (and -- gasp! -- even praising!) my dog, and for sharing a special run with me.

Today marked the end of my 100-Day Run Challenge, and Cougar was the place to finish it. This was my own little personal challenge to run 100 days in a row, a minimum of :30. If I got sick or injured I wasn't going to try to be heroic or anything, but fortunately that never happened (one slight cold but it never became bad). Most days felt pretty good, and there really were only 2-3 days where it was a PITA to find the time to run. Not bad seeing as this streak covered Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and a family vacation! Props to the hubs who encouraged me and helped me find a way on those tricky days!!

Several people have asked me how I feel about it, how my running feels. I will say that I feel back to my "old self," in terms of most runs. My easy pace seems a bit faster than pre-injury, even though I've done no speed work. I'll be adding some structure to workouts in the future, including adding in the bike and swim, but trying to keep up the run consistency. My body likes running more days/week, even if they are shorter some days.

slacker!   awesome job!!!  

2012-01-06 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3975257

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2012-01-06 10:55 AM
swbkrun - 2012-01-06 11:12 AM

I think this might be a first in 3-4 years, we don't have the most pages in the mentor group forums.

slackers..

UNACCEPTABLE!

Kyla this means I will be throw sticks, branches, and rocks at you and your friends on the trails today so you can post all the details....  

If second place is unacceptable, do your part Birdy!  Visit often which includes more than one post every other day.

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO!  I visit often, just never have anything intelligent to say!

As for treadmills... We have the mother of all mothers... It rocks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stairmaster-Nautilus-2100-LC-Treadmill-Warranty-Club-/200604113592

I wonder if the chick comes with the $2000??

2012-01-06 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3975933

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-06 5:10 PM

slackers..

UNACCEPTABLE!

What she won't tell you is that she B*TCHED the entire time today !

Seriously though Kyla this is AWESOME!  I think you are really going to see the long term benefits to this!

2012-01-06 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3975943

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2012-01-06 5:15 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-06 5:10 PM

slackers..

UNACCEPTABLE!

What she won't tell you is that she B*TCHED the entire time today !

Seriously though Kyla this is AWESOME!  I think you are really going to see the long term benefits to this!

No way!!! Heidi was the whiner today, not me!!!!
2012-01-06 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3975412

User image

Chatham Ontario
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-06 1:58 PM
sdalessio - 2012-01-06 2:43 PM 

But my BF is a Princeton grad w/ a math degree.  She loves all that kind of crap! 

this sentence took me some time to get through.  at first i read the BF as boyfriend meaning tony.  then i got to the princeton part and was racking my brain swearing he went to va tech.  then i read the She and thought you might have gone kim on us... clearly i was happy!!!!  then i took a big boy breath and figured it all out.   cool.

you're going to have a great swim and all will be equal among competitors during it!!

Man I was thinking the similar thing. BF= boyfriend SHE? didn't know anything about the school but I was totally on the same track for a few seconds.

2012-01-06 10:52 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Ok what is everyone's thought on Speed work. Every time I tried to do some speed work last year my bad knee seemed to hurt, creep up on me. I did some hill work (we have no hills here) so I run the parking garage when I can on non mall hours. tough to do but it is the only damn hill around.

How does one get faster without hills and speed work. I have done some short repeats. But last year I was following a plan that had me doing 400-1600 meter speed sets and almost every week I did that I would struggle with pain for the next week or two and have set backs. So I dropped speed work after doing this three times last fall.

2012-01-06 10:56 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

anyone seen this video.

Sorry for the multiple posts and starting multiple topics. I don't get to access BT from work through the week and I have been stupid busy so I make up for it on weekends. And I have been lazy and pretty much doing nothing for 3 months. Totally back on track now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

2012-01-07 2:31 AM
in reply to: #3976180

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Techdiver - 2012-01-06 11:52 PM

Ok what is everyone's thought on Speed work. Every time I tried to do some speed work last year my bad knee seemed to hurt, creep up on me. I did some hill work (we have no hills here) so I run the parking garage when I can on non mall hours. tough to do but it is the only damn hill around.

How does one get faster without hills and speed work. I have done some short repeats. But last year I was following a plan that had me doing 400-1600 meter speed sets and almost every week I did that I would struggle with pain for the next week or two and have set backs. So I dropped speed work after doing this three times last fall.

I love and hate speed workouts.  They are great for you if you want to get faster but they hurt like hell.  I do 800's but any kind of speed workout will increase you race speed. 

However, speed workouts really increase your chance of getting hurt especially knees, hamstrings and IT Bands.  You really have to listen to your body.  If you have knee issues when you do a track workout, I wouldn't risk it. 

So if you can't do track workouts, I highly recommend a tempo runs with negative splits.  This has really helped me get faster.   Pick a pace that you will find a hard time maintaining.  For me, its my racing 10K pace.   Then each mile, you want to get faster.  Even if its only 5 seconds.  This will teach your body to run an even pace during a race.  Alot of people slow up in the later miles of a race.  Start with 2-3 miles at first and then increase up to 5-6 miles depending on what your goal race is.  You can do a tempo run once a week without risking an injury. 

Also, get in a running group that is slightly faster than what you run by yourself.  Groups push and you tend to run harder with a group than you would by yourself. 

Hope that helps. 

2012-01-07 5:54 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Techdiver - 2012-01-07 1:52 AM

Spanky,

On the run side, intensity should only be applied if you have a really solid base.  Otherwise, you're just going to hurt yourself and end up missing training days/weeks/months.   I did zero speed work in the past 3 years.  I struggled just to keep my knees not hurting while I was mixing biking and running.  On the run side, given your current base, I would say forget about speed work for at least 3 years and just work on consistency.   You can check through my logs and my race times.   I am still at the 25-30 km/wk level, but I have consistency and that is where my PRs came from last year.  I'm trying to take my base higher this winter, but am still struggling  with doing that and cranking up a not so challenging cycling base on the trainer (zone 2 and zone 3).

On the bike side, everyone and their brother will tell you that can crank up the intensity.  My experience says otherwise and I suspect that everyone and their brother doesn't have a 50+ year old body that hasn't been on a bike for 35 years.  My goal this winter is to try and crank up my cycling base along with my run base.  Runs will be mostly easy = zone 2.   Cycling will be mostly easy zone 2/zone 3.   If I get to a point where my run has increased and my cycling is also up with no sore knees/hips, then I may try cranking up the cycling intensity to include some zone 4 work.     

edit: there are quite a few good threads in the tri forum about keeping it easy, increasing frequency/consistency.  If you want specifics search for Scout7.

Edited by dcon 2012-01-07 6:00 AM
2012-01-07 6:51 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
WAY TO GO KIM!!!!!!  1:47:30!   I hope you had a blast (and your foot held up)!!!!  Onward to the marathon!

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-01-07 7:44 AM
2012-01-07 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Techdiver - 2012-01-06 10:52 PM

My opinion is given the mileage you are currently putting in that speedwork is not as important as aerobic endurace.  When I started running I did NO speedwork for the first few years focusing on building my base.  During that time I steadily got faster and my body was ready to take on the challenge of SOME speedwork.  In the beginning, I focused mainly on tempo runs for a couple of years (although they were different from what John describes).  Mine were usually X miles at a set pace (below my 10K effort).  I started with 2-3 miles and worked up to an hour over time.   Those runs got me a lot stronger physically and mentally. Again, I got faster.  I really didn't add 200, 400, 800 or mile repeats until later.  Even then, I never do them on the track.  My belief is I race on a road, I am going to run on a road.  For test sets, I find a flat stretch.   I also don't like the constant turning a track requires which is hard on your IT Band (aka outter knee).

You might say that the reason I did the above is I was a long distance runner and that would be a true statement, but I was NEVER injured under this approach running up to 85mpw. 

SPanky, you might also get a gait analysis if you haven't done so (although I feel like you did that??).  A muscle imbalance could also be causing you some issues.

2012-01-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3976333

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2012-01-07 4:51 AMWAY TO GO KIM!!!!!!  1:47:30!   I hope you had a blast (and your foot held up)!!!!  Onward to the marathon!
Thank you, my foot held up, TG, I did my little 8' run, 1' walk all the way to the end. I did stop six times to get pictures with Daisy and Donald Duck, Mickey, Chip and Dale, and more, never had to wait more than a minute each....unfortunately there were characters I was unfamiliar with on the second half, so couldn't stop to rest as much. Big negative split which is always fun! Onward to the parks and then do it all again tomorrow and then some. I did the dreaded ice bath, wahhhhhhhhhhh! Have a great Saturday, all. Spanky, speed work is really hard on the body...my two cents are to increase your base and then consider slowly start adding strides, maybe even just a few 50 yards or so of 5k effort, with adequate rest/recovery...a little goes a long way.
2012-01-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3976421

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

kt65 - 2012-01-07 9:05 AM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-07 4:51 AMWAY TO GO KIM!!!!!!  1:47:30!   I hope you had a blast (and your foot held up)!!!!  Onward to the marathon!
Thank you, my foot held up, TG, I did my little 8' run, 1' walk all the way to the end. I did stop six times to get pictures with Daisy and Donald Duck, Mickey, Chip and Dale, and more, never had to wait more than a minute each....unfortunately there were characters I was unfamiliar with on the second half, so couldn't stop to rest as much. Big negative split which is always fun! Onward to the parks and then do it all again tomorrow and then some. I did the dreaded ice bath, wahhhhhhhhhhh! Have a great Saturday, all. Spanky, speed work is really hard on the body...my two cents are to increase your base and then consider slowly start adding strides, maybe even just a few 50 yards or so of 5k effort, with adequate rest/recovery...a little goes a long way.

Great job Kim, it's making me wish we had signed up again this year.

Have a blast tomorrow and enjoy it.

2012-01-07 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Nice race Kim. Good luck tomorrow Goofy Girl!!!Don't you love ice baths?
2012-01-07 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

kt65 - 2012-01-07 6:05 AM

Yay, Kim!!! So happy your foot held up! Fantastic job sticking to the plan, getting in that ice bath, and having FUN!!

2012-01-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3976333

User image

Master

SSMinnow - 2012-01-07 4:51 AM WAY TO GO KIM!!!!!!  1:47:30!   I hope you had a blast (and your foot held up)!!!!  Onward to the marathon!

Thanks for posting Suzy, and awesome job, Kim!!! Your speed never ceases to amaze me -- little miss walk break and character-picture-taker! Can't wait to see the photos!! Hope the foot feels gooooood and you're ready to have even more fun tomorrow!!!

2012-01-07 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Woo Hoo Kim - awesome job!  It cracks me up that your take it slow, semi-injured foot, take a 1/2 dozen pics is still so much faster than my bust a gut 1/2 M effort. 

Those ice baths will really help today and tomorrow.  I found out on my last one that if was not such a shock if I got in a cold water tub then had Tony add ice.  It was much easy on the body but got the same results b/t it got just as cold.  I was able to ease into it which made it easier mentally.

Can't wait to see pics.  I hope Cinderella is out at the castle tomorrow! 

2012-01-07 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

kt65 - 2012-01-07 6:05 AM

Nice work Kim.  Glad the foot help up and your legs will thank you for the ice bath tomorrow.  I LOVE them.

2012-01-07 11:37 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Hey all.  I have had an interesting 2 weeks.  I didn't run at all and then went out still did my 14 miler today.  It wasn't pretty the last 2.5 miles but it is done. 

On a sad note, my cousin buried her 9 year old on Thursday.  It was so tragic.  They lost a daughter to cancer 4 years ago and are expecting their 8th child in February.  If you could all include them in your prayers they could certainly use them.  Their last name is Strauss.  I really cannot fathom how you breath after losing one child, let alone 2.

2012-01-07 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

AMAZING!! WOOT!!

Hope tomorrow goes as well!

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2012-01-07 11:58 AM
2012-01-07 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Kim, way to run and ice! You are amazing! I know you and Kathy are having a great time! Enjoy tomorrow, I am proud of you!!

2012-01-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3976682

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
tricrazy - 2012-01-07 12:37 PM

Hey all.  I have had an interesting 2 weeks.  I didn't run at all and then went out still did my 14 miler today.  It wasn't pretty the last 2.5 miles but it is done. 

On a sad note, my cousin buried her 9 year old on Thursday.  It was so tragic.  They lost a daughter to cancer 4 years ago and are expecting their 8th child in February.  If you could all include them in your prayers they could certainly use them.  Their last name is Strauss.  I really cannot fathom how you breath after losing one child, let alone 2.

Very sad news... I can't even imagine the emotional pain.  Prayers go out to your family in this trying time.

Good job knocking out that run!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117