BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Ha! Thanks for the encouragement.

Missed your sexeh smile around here yesterday. I was going to comment on the FB fathers day pic. That was quite a mustache you were rocking back in the day.

Hideous is the thought that come to mind. We were cleaning out some crap from the attic last night and found an old box of pictures. There may be some more #tbt photos that'll make you cringe.

What the ell was I thinking in my youth?!?!

2015-06-23 10:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Hey Pod!

1. Proof of Life,

2. RR from Half is as follows: Training miles logged were below needs. Race day Wx was good, cool cloudy and very light rain, no wind. Race started at 0615 and I lined up near the front and on the side as I wanted to avoid the mass of humanity and zig zag trying to find a path. The mass pushed me out faster than I normally go. I could hardly believe the numbers the sweet and evil voice from the map my run app. Pulled it back into a normal pace and let the flow pass me by. My 10K time was 57:?? thinking I was about good for my goal to break 2:00 but then my hamstrings and butt tightened up and my running slowed and then became an ANNOYING series of run/walk. and resulted in a 2:11:36. Family got a few pics of me as covered the last stretch to finish and then took me home after a finishers beer. Yes, I finished but still frustrated at myself for not performing better on many aspects most of which were in my control. Live Learn improve!

3. Now that that race is done I can pick a couple tri races in the area and see how it goes. Working with a training group this summer and they are keeping me honest and always in the chase to keep up. First OWS is Thursday as the water tends to be solid most of the time here.

Oh, just so you know I am also a stalker here.

I use a headlamp for night walks of the dogs, they hate pooping under a spotlight, but helpful for cleanup. Most LED lamps would work great.

First Aid: a larger kit should have a quick splint, All kits should have a small quick reference card for CPR, EPI, etc. I don't recall if it was mentioned but a needle and thread so you can sew a large cut up using external stitches (use tape with a folded edge on each side of wound and then shoe lace the folded edges closer together to help close the wound)

2015-06-24 8:33 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by tcarlson78

Hey Pod!

1. Proof of Life,

2. RR from Half is as follows: Training miles logged were below needs. Race day Wx was good, cool cloudy and very light rain, no wind. Race started at 0615 and I lined up near the front and on the side as I wanted to avoid the mass of humanity and zig zag trying to find a path. The mass pushed me out faster than I normally go. I could hardly believe the numbers the sweet and evil voice from the map my run app. Pulled it back into a normal pace and let the flow pass me by. My 10K time was 57:?? thinking I was about good for my goal to break 2:00 but then my hamstrings and butt tightened up and my running slowed and then became an ANNOYING series of run/walk. and resulted in a 2:11:36. Family got a few pics of me as covered the last stretch to finish and then took me home after a finishers beer. Yes, I finished but still frustrated at myself for not performing better on many aspects most of which were in my control. Live Learn improve!

3. Now that that race is done I can pick a couple tri races in the area and see how it goes. Working with a training group this summer and they are keeping me honest and always in the chase to keep up. First OWS is Thursday as the water tends to be solid most of the time here.

Oh, just so you know I am also a stalker here.

I use a headlamp for night walks of the dogs, they hate pooping under a spotlight, but helpful for cleanup. Most LED lamps would work great.

First Aid: a larger kit should have a quick splint, All kits should have a small quick reference card for CPR, EPI, etc. I don't recall if it was mentioned but a needle and thread so you can sew a large cut up using external stitches (use tape with a folded edge on each side of wound and then shoe lace the folded edges closer together to help close the wound)

Sounds like you learned a lot in your race, and you still did very well! Good luck on your upcoming tri's, the training group sounds fun!
2015-06-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Hey Pod! 1. Proof of Life, 2. RR from Half is as follows: Training miles logged were below needs. Race day Wx was good, cool cloudy and very light rain, no wind. Race started at 0615 and I lined up near the front and on the side as I wanted to avoid the mass of humanity and zig zag trying to find a path. The mass pushed me out faster than I normally go. I could hardly believe the numbers the sweet and evil voice from the map my run app. Pulled it back into a normal pace and let the flow pass me by. My 10K time was 57:?? thinking I was about good for my goal to break 2:00 but then my hamstrings and butt tightened up and my running slowed and then became an ANNOYING series of run/walk. and resulted in a 2:11:36. Family got a few pics of me as covered the last stretch to finish and then took me home after a finishers beer. Yes, I finished but still frustrated at myself for not performing better on many aspects most of which were in my control. Live Learn improve! 3. Now that that race is done I can pick a couple tri races in the area and see how it goes. Working with a training group this summer and they are keeping me honest and always in the chase to keep up. First OWS is Thursday as the water tends to be solid most of the time here. Oh, just so you know I am also a stalker here. I use a headlamp for night walks of the dogs, they hate pooping under a spotlight, but helpful for cleanup. Most LED lamps would work great. First Aid: a larger kit should have a quick splint, All kits should have a small quick reference card for CPR, EPI, etc. I don't recall if it was mentioned but a needle and thread so you can sew a large cut up using external stitches (use tape with a folded edge on each side of wound and then shoe lace the folded edges closer together to help close the wound)

Good to hear from ya!  Sorry your HM wasn't quite the race you were hoping for, but it's hard to control our bodies rebeling against us via cramping.  A finisher's beer sounds like a great way to celebrate with your family!

2015-06-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Manatees, please keep my good friend K in your thoughts.  I've mentioned her before, but she's had some further negative developments.  She's had 2 surgeries for oral cancer in the past month, the latest to remove all the lymph nodes in her neck.  Of the 23, one came back positive so she has to have radiation and possibly chemo.  She's in her early 40's and has a young son and a mostly emotionally absent partner.  I'm so scared for her.  Thanks, friends.

2015-06-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Good thoughts for K, Matt TX's mom, Melanie's dad, and any other Manatee Friends or Family that need it.  (and our DL but that goes without saying!)

2015-06-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Ugh. I am so sorry everyone. Effing eff cancer.

2015-06-24 1:53 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yes ^^^^ this.  

As Janyne said, good thoughts to your friend (and an elbow to the ribs of her husband in the hopes that he mans up...), Matt's mom, Melanie's dad.  

2015-06-24 2:06 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Yes ^^^^ this.  

As Janyne said, good thoughts to your friend (and an elbow to the ribs of her husband in the hopes that he mans up...), Matt's mom, Melanie's dad.  

Piling on! Cancer sucks.

2015-06-24 2:15 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Just got home from Maui a few hours ago. I really hate overnight flights.

Had a great time in a beautiful place. We took my 70 y/o mom with us and met my sister, BIL, and niece.

There was a strong surf advisory due to a storm that had come from New Zealand and lifeguards were actually telling people not to go in the water unless they knew what they were doing. One guard even said, "Please don't go in if you don't know what you're doing. I really don't want to go in after you!" Hey, at least he was honest!

While I really love my mom, she can drive me crazy. The entire flight over she kept asking why I had such a horrible race. While on the island with every bite of food I put in my mouth she would say, "Do you know how many miles you're going to have to run to burn that off?" or "Before you eat that make sure you think about how far you're going to have to ride your bike" or "how many laps is that going to take to burn off?" Didn't matter what I ate, fruit, salad, fish tacos, ice cream. She also walks really fast and I don't. I like to take in the sights. So that meant I heard a lot of, "If you were in better shape you could have done better on your race. I'm in better shape than you." But, she had a blast and loved everything we did so it was worth every comment she made.

Now I get to figure out how to ride my bike again. Not sure how productive it will be on a few hours sleep on a plane, but hey, I have to burn off those calories I consumed, right?
2015-06-24 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary, your friend is in my thoughts and prayers, as are you and all those in her life. The far reaching aspect of illness really sucks as well.

2015-06-24 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by laffinrock

Manatees, please keep my good friend K in your thoughts.  I've mentioned her before, but she's had some further negative developments.  She's had 2 surgeries for oral cancer in the past month, the latest to remove all the lymph nodes in her neck.  Of the 23, one came back positive so she has to have radiation and possibly chemo.  She's in her early 40's and has a young son and a mostly emotionally absent partner.  I'm so scared for her.  Thanks, friends.

That sounds awful, Mary.  I'll keep K in my thoughts.

2015-06-24 3:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Good thoughts for K, Matt TX's mom, Melanie's dad, and any other Manatee Friends or Family that need it.  (and our DL but that goes without saying!)

Good thoughts to all!!

Cancer (and getting old in general) sucks!
2015-06-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by IronOx

Yes ^^^^ this.  

Piling on! Cancer sucks.

Yes indeed.  It certainly sucks and is very, very difficult for those directly and indirectly affected.

On the flip side, there is also more hope than ever before with incredible advances in treatments.  Thoughts and prayers for these people and their families.

2015-06-24 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Sounds like what I say in my head every time I take Dad for treatments and look around the waiting room and/or the treatment room and see SO MANY people; young, middle-aged, old, all walks of life, races and religions.  It often boggles my mind, seeing its wide impact.  It's a friggin' evil disease.

Prayers that your friend's situation improves from both a medical and support standpoint, Mary.  She has you for a friend, so that alone is very helpful, knowing you are there for her where her partner may not be.  Often times things we feel are small, insignificant gestures mean the world to someone who is going through tough times.

Edited by melbo55 2015-06-24 4:45 PM
2015-06-24 4:44 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo Just got home from Maui a few hours ago. I really hate overnight flights. Had a great time in a beautiful place. We took my 70 y/o mom with us and met my sister, BIL, and niece. There was a strong surf advisory due to a storm that had come from New Zealand and lifeguards were actually telling people not to go in the water unless they knew what they were doing. One guard even said, "Please don't go in if you don't know what you're doing. I really don't want to go in after you!" Hey, at least he was honest! While I really love my mom, she can drive me crazy. The entire flight over she kept asking why I had such a horrible race. While on the island with every bite of food I put in my mouth she would say, "Do you know how many miles you're going to have to run to burn that off?" or "Before you eat that make sure you think about how far you're going to have to ride your bike" or "how many laps is that going to take to burn off?" Didn't matter what I ate, fruit, salad, fish tacos, ice cream. She also walks really fast and I don't. I like to take in the sights. So that meant I heard a lot of, "If you were in better shape you could have done better on your race. I'm in better shape than you." But, she had a blast and loved everything we did so it was worth every comment she made. Now I get to figure out how to ride my bike again. Not sure how productive it will be on a few hours sleep on a plane, but hey, I have to burn off those calories I consumed, right?

Kudos to you for seemingly having patience with your mother's comments, yikes!  You know, you could've done laps up and down the concourse at the airport to make up for all those horrible things you ate while you were there (tongue in cheek).  Good luck with the bike!

2015-06-24 5:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

I mentioned Joe in my RR but a little brag of my own, he took the win at the Mount Washington Road Race and broke the American Record

https://www.facebook.com/LevelRenner/videos/930070060382346/

Good for him! There can be some serious competition at that race and setting the record would show the performance regardless of that.

Every time this race comes up now I keep thinking back to here when Chris Siemers won it. He was another runner on the Strands team back then, like Sayenko was. He wanted a solid mountain race to do and picked that one. I'm not sure he really knew how hard the competition was that year beforehand (it was the qualifier for Worlds) and then he wins the thing! It was fun discussing the course beforehand with him. I hadn't run it, but had scouted it well for the Newton's Revenge ride (actual event rained out for me though). It's only more recently I've been learning just how good so many of the other guys in that race were.

Another thing to note is the placement of Jeffery Eggleston (another Strands runner at the time) and a bit how uphill running like that can have some difference from flats. I'm guessing something else may have slowed him down some too, but that's a notable gap off the front. He was running 2:11-2:12 marathons at the time whereas Siemers PR was like 2:21 then. For others, this is the same Eggleston as part of the Boston group where Meb won. And that a good time estimate for Mt Washington is your half marathon time (for a 7.6 mile run).

2015-06-24 6:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

I mentioned Joe in my RR but a little brag of my own, he took the win at the Mount Washington Road Race and broke the American Record

Good for him! There can be some serious competition at that race and setting the record would show the performance regardless of that.

Every time this race comes up now I keep thinking back to here when Chris Siemers won it. He was another runner on the Strands team back then, like Sayenko was. He wanted a solid mountain race to do and picked that one. I'm not sure he really knew how hard the competition was that year beforehand (it was the qualifier for Worlds) and then he wins the thing! It was fun discussing the course beforehand with him. I hadn't run it, but had scouted it well for the Newton's Revenge ride (actual event rained out for me though). It's only more recently I've been learning just how good so many of the other guys in that race were.

Another thing to note is the placement of Jeffery Eggleston (another Strands runner at the time) and a bit how uphill running like that can have some difference from flats. I'm guessing something else may have slowed him down some too, but that's a notable gap off the front. He was running 2:11-2:12 marathons at the time whereas Siemers PR was like 2:21 then. For others, this is the same Eggleston as part of the Boston group where Meb won. And that a good time estimate for Mt Washington is your half marathon time (for a 7.6 mile run).

Yeah, it's a heck of a race. Joe is extremely talented. And I think a little unique in his ability to continue to run pretty damn solid times on the track in addition to the mountain stuff and he can do shorter distance as well as long. His win actually makes it two consecutive now but he's been in the mix for a long time. I kind of see Sage Canaday similarly but he may be a little less talented. He just missed the Olympic Trials Qualifier in the LA marathon. 

So in my RR for my past race, Joe is the one I reference as the male course record holder (32:39.) So, a little over 10 minutes faster than I. I didn't have the energy to extrapolate that...and it probably doesn't really truly tell me anything other than that Joe is really, really fast

I always forget you know Sayenko. How do you know him again?

2015-06-24 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by fortissimo

Just got home from Maui a few hours ago. I really hate overnight flights.

Had a great time in a beautiful place. We took my 70 y/o mom with us and met my sister, BIL, and niece.

There was a strong surf advisory due to a storm that had come from New Zealand and lifeguards were actually telling people not to go in the water unless they knew what they were doing. One guard even said, "Please don't go in if you don't know what you're doing. I really don't want to go in after you!" Hey, at least he was honest!

While I really love my mom, she can drive me crazy. The entire flight over she kept asking why I had such a horrible race. While on the island with every bite of food I put in my mouth she would say, "Do you know how many miles you're going to have to run to burn that off?" or "Before you eat that make sure you think about how far you're going to have to ride your bike" or "how many laps is that going to take to burn off?" Didn't matter what I ate, fruit, salad, fish tacos, ice cream. She also walks really fast and I don't. I like to take in the sights. So that meant I heard a lot of, "If you were in better shape you could have done better on your race. I'm in better shape than you." But, she had a blast and loved everything we did so it was worth every comment she made.

Now I get to figure out how to ride my bike again. Not sure how productive it will be on a few hours sleep on a plane, but hey, I have to burn off those calories I consumed, right?

The evil side of me would mail her a confirmation for entry into a local event with a note to saying, I'll see you at the start and watch you finish. (mic drop) The nice side commends you for bring family along on a vacation to enjoy a nice location, scenery, and time together despite knowing the challenges that that brings. Now go enjoy a special treat for your nice side for it is the wolf you should feed.
2015-06-25 7:47 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, it's a heck of a race. Joe is extremely talented. And I think a little unique in his ability to continue to run pretty damn solid times on the track in addition to the mountain stuff and he can do shorter distance as well as long. His win actually makes it two consecutive now but he's been in the mix for a long time. I kind of see Sage Canaday similarly but he may be a little less talented. He just missed the Olympic Trials Qualifier in the LA marathon. 

So in my RR for my past race, Joe is the one I reference as the male course record holder (32:39.) So, a little over 10 minutes faster than I. I didn't have the energy to extrapolate that...and it probably doesn't really truly tell me anything other than that Joe is really, really fast

I always forget you know Sayenko. How do you know him again?

A few years back an investment group called Strands decided to get into the fitness market and put together a fitness tracking website and an elite run team. The website set up more for the logs than forum chatting like BT is. More like Facebook than this in that you friended people and their workout posts showed up in your feed, and people could comment and discuss things there. They had thousands of people join in on the site. The elite team they sponsored tended to be more highlighted and some of the runners could get over 5,000 people following them. And it was in here that we could follow along with what they did and comment/discuss things with them. Most of the time people just put things like "awesome" or "amazing". The people on the forum were all over the place in ability, just like anywhere else.

The runners on this team were amazing. The guys tended to have a VDOt in the high 70's, some mid 70's. A 5k pr of 14:00 +/-:20 was normal for this group. Get to follow them chasing Olympic marathon trials qualifying time, and expecting to get them. I don't remember the guys actually making the Olympics, but just the thought of being good enough to run at the trials! They had guys like Eggleston and Nick Arciniaga on there, two of the guys Ryan Hall talked with at Boston. Don't know why I didn't follow them more. They actually had a Strands crew based in Oregon for a bit. A handful of these runners worked for Strands in an office out in Oregon. On the women's side they actually did have some who had been in the Olympics. Like Elva Dryer. Kate O'Neill went as an alternate.

Something that really stood out was the respect and humility that they all showed. Much like what your teammate Joseph has. Really wish I knew what I knew now back then. Was only just getting started so a lot of what they were doing was over my head.

2015-06-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Katy, Texas
So, lately the first half of my runs have felt like crap and the second halves have felt great. This is regardless of the type of run, recovery/easy/long.

Is this due to cumulative fatigue? Not enough sleep? Is this just how it feels when you run a lot?

2015-06-25 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Just got home from Maui a few hours ago. I really hate overnight flights. Had a great time in a beautiful place. We took my 70 y/o mom with us and met my sister, BIL, and niece. There was a strong surf advisory due to a storm that had come from New Zealand and lifeguards were actually telling people not to go in the water unless they knew what they were doing. One guard even said, "Please don't go in if you don't know what you're doing. I really don't want to go in after you!" Hey, at least he was honest! While I really love my mom, she can drive me crazy. The entire flight over she kept asking why I had such a horrible race. While on the island with every bite of food I put in my mouth she would say, "Do you know how many miles you're going to have to run to burn that off?" or "Before you eat that make sure you think about how far you're going to have to ride your bike" or "how many laps is that going to take to burn off?" Didn't matter what I ate, fruit, salad, fish tacos, ice cream. She also walks really fast and I don't. I like to take in the sights. So that meant I heard a lot of, "If you were in better shape you could have done better on your race. I'm in better shape than you." But, she had a blast and loved everything we did so it was worth every comment she made. Now I get to figure out how to ride my bike again. Not sure how productive it will be on a few hours sleep on a plane, but hey, I have to burn off those calories I consumed, right?

Ugh! Parents! Gotta love them though! I don't even like to tell them my weekend training plans. If Kevin is out of town, I'll email them my cue sheet in case of emergency but that's it.  I know they totally glaze over when I discuss training so I tend not to talk to them about it. I suppose that's better than at work where I get the "your f-ing crazy" look from some people.  (Ok, maybe I *am* slightly drain bamaged.)

I'm glad that the trip was good. Sorry about the beach closures.  That's a bummer.  At least no sharks.  They cancelled some swim events hear what withe people getting the arms bit off and stuff

2015-06-25 9:11 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black So, lately the first half of my runs have felt like crap and the second halves have felt great. This is regardless of the type of run, recovery/easy/long. Is this due to cumulative fatigue? Not enough sleep? Is this just how it feels when you run a lot?

So... after my runs the last few days let me as you this, do you track weather?  The dew point when I ran on Tuesday was 75 which is freakin' high.  The dew point when I ran yesterday was 66.  The temperature was similar but I did a 90 minute bike ride before my run yesterday and ran faster with significantly less effort. 

For me, fatigue makes everything slower, not 50/50.

2015-06-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black So, lately the first half of my runs have felt like crap and the second halves have felt great. This is regardless of the type of run, recovery/easy/long. Is this due to cumulative fatigue? Not enough sleep? Is this just how it feels when you run a lot?

This happens when you run or even just work your legs more and it's from cumulative fatigue. It's good to see you are getting up to speed ok eventually so it's likely you're not doing too much. Continual lack of rest or over doing the amount of work has tended to drag everything down for me though a single instance can lead to what you're seeing.

A more dedicated warm-up can help with this. I do some skips and kicks to get things firing up beforehand. These help get specific parts of the running motion actively firing up and include plenty of range of motion so that the entire act of running falls inside of the motion done here. Meaning when I actually start running I'm very ready to be running. The quality of the running goes up, though not the same as a "quality" effort, meaning hard running. The meaning here is just that the motion is better and easier.

2015-06-25 9:19 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

So... after my runs the last few days let me as you this, do you track weather?  The dew point when I ran on Tuesday was 75 which is freakin' high.  The dew point when I ran yesterday was 66.  The temperature was similar but I did a 90 minute bike ride before my run yesterday and ran faster with significantly less effort. 

For me, fatigue makes everything slower, not 50/50.

Fatigue for me depends on how much. It can slow everything down when it's too much, it may also just have some more work to do before I'm ready to go. Weather tends to drag everything down completely. I'm just not able to go as fast. The latter parts can be worse from the added stress if the weather is bad enough, so nearing the reverse of what was described. If Sean went through exactly your example, I would expect his run on day 2 to feel better than day 1, but would also credit the 90 minute ride some as getting the legs active. A hard ride would change that, but I didn't see an indication of putting out a hard effort in it.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68325 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29124 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12294 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38582 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67805 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.