BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-11-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by DaveL differing opinion - My CX came with AVID BB7 mechanical disc brakes - I really hated them, truly loathed them! My mountain bikes all have hydraulic brakes and they are a lot less finicky. Generally once they are bled and aligned correctly there isnt much that needs to be done. With the mech discs on my CX bike I had to adjust the pads closer to the disc as the pads wore down. Not a huge deal, just turning a dial, but after adjusting they always seemed to rub on one side so I would adjust the caliper so it was centered (only one pad on most mechanical brakes actually moves) this doesnt sound like a big deal but it was just another hassle and I would constantly have to do it over and over in an effort to get them to run silent. The difficulty in adjusting also came from the crazy conical washers Avid uses. I also found the BB7's had a wooden feel. After a 100mile gravel ride in the rain and sand with them rubbing most of the way I switched to TRP HY/RD's which use my existing mechanical levers but uses a cable actuated hydro caliper. These self adjust and dont rub ever., I havent touched them since I installed them last winter. If I were buying a new bike I would consider going straight to a full hydraulic setup. -> but thats just me. Try both and see which is better for you.

Are there any issues with storage and hydraulic brakes? If the bike sat all of tri season and I pulled it out for the winter, would it be good to go or need to be serviced?

mine sit all winter - I've had them for.....I don't know maybe 7 years? Only bled once (please don't jinx me).

I have lots of spare parts - I'm sure I have a set of Avid BB7s you can have if you want. They are old but I'm sure they work. I may even have rotors..... let me know.

2017-11-01 1:30 PM
in reply to: DaveL

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL differing opinion - My CX came with AVID BB7 mechanical disc brakes - I really hated them, truly loathed them! My mountain bikes all have hydraulic brakes and they are a lot less finicky. Generally once they are bled and aligned correctly there isnt much that needs to be done. With the mech discs on my CX bike I had to adjust the pads closer to the disc as the pads wore down. Not a huge deal, just turning a dial, but after adjusting they always seemed to rub on one side so I would adjust the caliper so it was centered (only one pad on most mechanical brakes actually moves) this doesnt sound like a big deal but it was just another hassle and I would constantly have to do it over and over in an effort to get them to run silent. The difficulty in adjusting also came from the crazy conical washers Avid uses. I also found the BB7's had a wooden feel. After a 100mile gravel ride in the rain and sand with them rubbing most of the way I switched to TRP HY/RD's which use my existing mechanical levers but uses a cable actuated hydro caliper. These self adjust and dont rub ever., I havent touched them since I installed them last winter. If I were buying a new bike I would consider going straight to a full hydraulic setup. -> but thats just me. Try both and see which is better for you.

My old Stumpjumper came with mechanical. Unsure of installing or replacing things, though adjusting was fairly simple on it. Both sides had independent dials/knobs. A new CX bike is a real PITA, sounding similar to yours. I forget the brake model. Still trying to get that initial placement right so there is no rub and plenty of braking force. Only one side is adjustable, so have to move the entire housing to get the other right. Seems to slide around when applying the final tightening torque though. Frustrating. The hydraulics on the Fuel Ex were nice to use. I didn't install them, but never had to adjust anything in the year or so I had the bike.

2017-11-01 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Are there any issues with storage and hydraulic brakes? If the bike sat all of tri season and I pulled it out for the winter, would it be good to go or need to be serviced?

dont hang the bike upside down when storing it or you will get air into the system. Other than that dont worry about it.
2017-11-02 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
One of the upsides/downsides of living in a small town is, it doesn't take much to make the paper.

(Ironman news.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Ironman news.jpg (164KB - 4 downloads)
2017-11-02 7:12 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella One of the upsides/downsides of living in a small town is, it doesn't take much to make the paper.

Thats great! Hope you get to sign some autographed copies of the article

2017-11-02 11:04 AM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Champion
Bronze member
That is great. You are FAMOUS!

2017-11-02 11:24 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL

dont hang the bike upside down when storing it or you will get air into the system. Other than that dont worry about it.

Should be fine for back flips and such while riding though.

2017-11-02 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL

Thanks! I suspected there might be an issue with storage direction. Kayaks take up most of the ceiling so no worries ;-)

2017-11-02 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella One of the upsides/downsides of living in a small town is, it doesn't take much to make the paper.

Woo hoo!

2017-11-02 12:09 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by lisac957

Who here has a smart trainer and do you love it?

Thinking about this one, all though it doesn't automatically adjust resistance for a program like Zwift. I don't want to spend more than around $400 though, and currently have NO power reading devices, so I thought this would be a step in the right direction to at least get power data and such. Is there something better out there in the same price range?

I have the Tacx Vortex, which is a step up from the one you linked, so it does the automatic adjustments.  I got it earlier this year off ebay (new) for about $325. I had a bit of a headache getting it set up and synced to zwift, Rouvy, and trainer road, but once I did I was very happy with my purchase.  My weekday rides are all on the trainer and they were much less miserable on the smart trainer than the dumb one   Having the program automatically change resistance based off my FTP was really nice. When I used zwift or Rouvy i was able to just watch the screen (i use an ipad) as they both have graphics worth watching. Rouvy even has some videos of various courses, so you can actually ride the course. Trainer road is just a graph, so I also had my tv on when using it. 

I can't say whether or not I would be as thrilled with my purchase without the auto adjustment, but with it I am very happy.  Maybe try ebay or look for a sale around the holidays.

ETA: I checked ebAY and found this one on sale for about $450. Says its the last one! 

I'm in the same boat as Lisa -- trainer replacement imminent. I'm trying to wait until the end of the month figuring they'll be some kind of Black Friday sale. I'm looking at the ones in the Mid Range section here https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/annual-trainer-recommendations.html -- Wahoo KICKR SNAP, CycleOps Magnus, Elite Rampa, Tacx Vortex Smart. I think that folks in this group have all but one of them covered. I'm trusting that if one of you hates your trainer, you'll speak up!

Follow up question -- zwift, Rouvy, or trainer road.  What do you prefer and why? Do you use your phone or iPad or ???

XX

2017-11-02 12:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thinking about this one, all though it doesn't automatically adjust resistance for a program like Zwift. I don't want to spend more than around $400 though, and currently have NO power reading devices, so I thought this would be a step in the right direction to at least get power data and such. Is there something better out there in the same price range?

I have the Tacx Vortex, which is a step up from the one you linked, so it does the automatic adjustments.  I got it earlier this year off ebay (new) for about $325. I had a bit of a headache getting it set up and synced to zwift, Rouvy, and trainer road, but once I did I was very happy with my purchase.  My weekday rides are all on the trainer and they were much less miserable on the smart trainer than the dumb one   Having the program automatically change resistance based off my FTP was really nice. When I used zwift or Rouvy i was able to just watch the screen (i use an ipad) as they both have graphics worth watching. Rouvy even has some videos of various courses, so you can actually ride the course. Trainer road is just a graph, so I also had my tv on when using it. 

I can't say whether or not I would be as thrilled with my purchase without the auto adjustment, but with it I am very happy.  Maybe try ebay or look for a sale around the holidays.

ETA: I checked ebAY and found this one on sale for about $450. Says its the last one! 

I'm in the same boat as Lisa -- trainer replacement imminent. I'm trying to wait until the end of the month figuring they'll be some kind of Black Friday sale. I'm looking at the ones in the Mid Range section here https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/annual-trainer-recommendations.html -- Wahoo KICKR SNAP, CycleOps Magnus, Elite Rampa, Tacx Vortex Smart. I think that folks in this group have all but one of them covered. I'm trusting that if one of you hates your trainer, you'll speak up!

Follow up question -- zwift, Rouvy, or trainer road.  What do you prefer and why? Do you use your phone or iPad or ???

XX

I've only used TrainerRoad so I can't speak to the others.  I use TR with virtual power (HR + speed + cadence sensors) with my 'dumb' trainer (CycleOps fluid) and my laptop.  I'm happy with TR for numerous reasons: when I'm doing my own thing (uncoached), I can follow their set training blocks (set amount of training sessions a week and they balance them for what you are training for) or just randomly pick whatever I feel in the mood for.  When being coached, I can either do a 'Free Ride' and my metrics get recorded for coach; I can create a workout from scratch from the given workout and be able to re-use it in the future if I have the same workout (advantage of this - the on-screen prompts/noises to know when a new segment is starting instead of needing to continually look at the timer and do math); the coaching group sometimes post challenges and/or workouts for us to access.

2017-11-02 12:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Famous indeed!   Very cool!

2017-11-02 12:29 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Others on here seem to have had better luck than I with long storage and being able to take the bike and go without issue.  Numerous times I've taken my old Stumpjumper (hydraulic brakes) out for the first ride of the season after sitting upright in the basement only to have the brakes engage and lock once the bike is in the sun.  I suppose the sun heated up the fluid, causing it to expand and engage the brakes.   I took it to the shop multiple times for this and I think my husband fixed it a couple times for me as well.  It seems to be OK lately since the last time I had it serviced at the bike shop *knocks on wood*

2017-11-02 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

XX

As I menitoned, I've tried all 3.  Trainer road I used to find workouts that replicated what my plan called for. As Mel mentioned, you can create your own workout, so it would be exactly how your plan reads, but I never took the time to figure out how to do that  TR has more workouts to choose from.  I found myself using it more than the other 2, but it is just a line moving across the screen.  Some workouts do have options to have you do drills and form work.

Zwift is cool as you can race others! There are a number of workouts you can do. It is way more visually appealing than TR.  I did not fully explore all it had to offer, but you can get great workouts with it.  I think Matt and Darren use it a lot, so they can probably give you more insight.

Rouvy was my last addition. I got it because they had a free trial period.  It has workouts like TR, so you can intervals, sweet spot, FTP tests etc.  It also has courses of various races, so you can ride the courses -most with video of the course. It had Louisville, but I only rode part of it one time because it did not fit in with my weekday ride plan. That may have been a bad move on my part!

I probably won't keep all 3. Right now I am leaning toward TR and Rouvy as the combo of the 2 will get me more workouts then i ever need.  I do realize that if i took more time to look at Zwift i might see that it is the best of all, so I look forward to seeing what the experienced zwift users have to say.     

2017-11-02 1:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

Still sitting with the KK trainer. And haven't used any of the programs. Well, TR was for about a week and several years ago. I don't like monthly costs and do well enough on my own. So, not much help there, sorry.

2017-11-02 5:09 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

XX

As I menitoned, I've tried all 3.  Trainer road I used to find workouts that replicated what my plan called for. As Mel mentioned, you can create your own workout, so it would be exactly how your plan reads, but I never took the time to figure out how to do that  TR has more workouts to choose from.  I found myself using it more than the other 2, but it is just a line moving across the screen.  Some workouts do have options to have you do drills and form work.

Zwift is cool as you can race others! There are a number of workouts you can do. It is way more visually appealing than TR.  I did not fully explore all it had to offer, but you can get great workouts with it.  I think Matt and Darren use it a lot, so they can probably give you more insight.

Rouvy was my last addition. I got it because they had a free trial period.  It has workouts like TR, so you can intervals, sweet spot, FTP tests etc.  It also has courses of various races, so you can ride the courses -most with video of the course. It had Louisville, but I only rode part of it one time because it did not fit in with my weekday ride plan. That may have been a bad move on my part!

I probably won't keep all 3. Right now I am leaning toward TR and Rouvy as the combo of the 2 will get me more workouts then i ever need.  I do realize that if i took more time to look at Zwift i might see that it is the best of all, so I look forward to seeing what the experienced zwift users have to say.     

Thanks! I do want to be able to ride courses so that would be cool. It sounds like TR would be good for training plans but Zwift would be a nice group ride replacement.

Phone, iPad, laptop?

2017-11-02 6:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

XX

Thanks! I do want to be able to ride courses so that would be cool. It sounds like TR would be good for training plans but Zwift would be a nice group ride replacement.

Phone, iPad, laptop?

i use my ipad.

ETA: I use an iPad holder that clamps on to the tv stand, so I can watch it and the tv!

Edited by amd723 2017-11-02 7:06 PM
2017-11-02 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

XX

Phone, iPad, laptop?

laptop and a projector - I watch movies and shows while on TR.
2017-11-03 12:56 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

So this is what happened at work today - puppies!!!  Someone brought this adorable litter to my workplace.  They will eventually learn to be service dogs, but for now they are playful, clumsy (in all the right ways), silly, soft, adorable fluffballs.    They had Hawaii-related names such as Kahuna, Shaka, Maui, Makki, and I forget the rest. Yup, totally worth going to work today!

2017-11-03 1:11 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

So this is what happened at work today - puppies!!!  Someone brought this adorable litter to my workplace.  They will eventually learn to be service dogs, but for now they are playful, clumsy (in all the right ways), silly, soft, adorable fluffballs.    They had Hawaii-related names such as Kahuna, Shaka, Maui, Makki, and I forget the rest. Yup, totally worth going to work today!

i want to work with you! At least today!

2017-11-03 1:17 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Awwwwwww.... the cutest thing ever!!!! So jealous!!

2017-11-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Champion
Bronze member
The definition of cute.
2017-11-03 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh geez! The cuteness!

2017-11-03 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 4-5
Blanda - Manila Team Throwdown on Saturday
Anne - Red Dog 100 Gravel Race, Jefferson City, MO on Saturday
Robin P - Cades Cove Loop Lope on Sunday
Melanie - Across the Bay 10k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

In case you missed it, this week we've been discussing smart trainers, smart trainer apps, disc breaks (mechanical versus hydraulic), and puppies.

2017-11-03 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

November 4-5
Blanda - Manila Team Throwdown on Saturday
Anne - Red Dog 100 Gravel Race, Jefferson City, MO on Saturday
Robin P - Cades Cove Loop Lope on Sunday
Melanie - Across the Bay 10k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

In case you missed it, this week we've been discussing smart trainers, smart trainer apps, disc breaks (mechanical versus hydraulic), and puppies.

lots of racers this week and a big throw down too boot! Go Manatees go!

speaking of puppies, in 2 weeks I get one

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44