of 190

2013-01-08 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4567626

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
KansasMom - 2013-01-08 8:20 AM

Well, I made it to the pool this morning. I had to do some fast talking with myself. How many days does it take to make this a habit? My performance was less than mediocre, but I expected that because of how long I've been out. The pool has been closed for nearly a month, and I wasn't religious about going in November when it was open.

The good news is that I worked pretty hard (for me) for 50 minutes. I will have at most an hour available to me in this time slot because I need to get back to the house and get kiddos up and ready for school.

Now to get out the door before 6:00 a.m. so that I can be in the water by 6:00 and take full advantage of my time.

Yes!  Keep going back Felicia.  It's a great feeling knowing you won't be tanked after the swim.  I saw a video clip of myself running up the beach towards T1 at Branson.  A lot of people walking, catching their breath, they didn't appear very enthusiastic about getting on a bike.....then there was me running around them, then telling another competitor to say hi to a friend of mine......

2013-01-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4568120

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
dustytrails - 2013-01-08 9:49 AM

I joined a 530 am Masters swim team and showed up more asleep than mentally awake for maybe a couple months. It was a brand new pool.... so we all started at the same time...we noticed that after a couple months we were waking up before the alarm went off.

I hear so many people say they naturally wake up before the alarm goes off, but I have no idea how you guys do it!!  I've been getting up at 4am four to five days a week for the past 5+ years, and it's very rare that I wake up before it.  In fact, if I do wake up before it, I almost always fall back asleep (for example, I woke up yesterday at 3:52am and managed to fall back asleep in the eight minutes before my alarm went off!).

I was actually thinking about it last night as I was going to bed, and assuming my body (knee) is up for the HIM I'm planning to do, I think one of my biggest limiters is going to be getting adequate sleep.  I cannot seem to find a way that I can (reliably) train, work/commute, spend time with my husband, and wind down that will give me more than seven hours of sleep a night (work nights). 

Has anyone ever "tested" themselves for optimal sleep?  How much does, say, a one hour defecit (per day) affect you?

2013-01-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey gang!  I've been away since Christmas, but we've got the little ones into our routine now, and I think I'm ready to be a productive member of society again...  I look forward to catching up with the group.  I might even run today!
2013-01-08 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4568214

User image

Payson, AZ
ligersandtions - 2013-01-08 11:33 AM
dustytrails - 2013-01-08 9:49 AM

I joined a 530 am Masters swim team and showed up more asleep than mentally awake for maybe a couple months. It was a brand new pool.... so we all started at the same time...we noticed that after a couple months we were waking up before the alarm went off.

I hear so many people say they naturally wake up before the alarm goes off, but I have no idea how you guys do it!!  I've been getting up at 4am four to five days a week for the past 5+ years, and it's very rare that I wake up before it.  In fact, if I do wake up before it, I almost always fall back asleep (for example, I woke up yesterday at 3:52am and managed to fall back asleep in the eight minutes before my alarm went off!).

I was actually thinking about it last night as I was going to bed, and assuming my body (knee) is up for the HIM I'm planning to do, I think one of my biggest limiters is going to be getting adequate sleep.  I cannot seem to find a way that I can (reliably) train, work/commute, spend time with my husband, and wind down that will give me more than seven hours of sleep a night (work nights). 

Has anyone ever "tested" themselves for optimal sleep?  How much does, say, a one hour defecit (per day) affect you?

I've been getting up early for so many years now that my body couldn't sleep in even if it wants to (and trust me, sometimes it wants to).  That being said, I get to bed early almost always.  Pretty much only a system problem or scheduled maintenance keeps me up (and if it is scheduled I often go to bed and get back up to do it).  My time with my partner is after work until we fall asleep.  I get all my training done before she comes home

2013-01-08 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4568232

User image

Payson, AZ

Experior - 2013-01-08 11:40 AM Hey gang!  I've been away since Christmas, but we've got the little ones into our routine now, and I think I'm ready to be a productive member of society again...  I look forward to catching up with the group.  I might even run today!

Glad things are settling down and things are becoming routine again

2013-01-08 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Experior - 2013-01-08 12:40 PM Hey gang!  I've been away since Christmas, but we've got the little ones into our routine now, and I think I'm ready to be a productive member of society again...  I look forward to catching up with the group.  I might even run today!
Great job! Getting kids into a routine takes a while, but it does help everything go more smoothly. I could do better with that myself. Mornings, especially, are chaos in my house.

2013-01-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4568123

User image

Master
Central Kansas
reecealan - 2013-01-08 11:51 AM

Well, I made it to the pool this morning. I had to do some fast talking with myself. How many days does it take to make this a habit? My performance was less than mediocre, but I expected that because of how long I've been out. The pool has been closed for nearly a month, and I wasn't religious about going in November when it was open.

The good news is that I worked pretty hard (for me) for 50 minutes. I will have at most an hour available to me in this time slot because I need to get back to the house and get kiddos up and ready for school.

Now to get out the door before 6:00 a.m. so that I can be in the water by 6:00 and take full advantage of my time.

Yes!  Keep going back Felicia.  It's a great feeling knowing you won't be tanked after the swim.  I saw a video clip of myself running up the beach towards T1 at Branson.  A lot of people walking, catching their breath, they didn't appear very enthusiastic about getting on a bike.....then there was me running around them, then telling another competitor to say hi to a friend of mine......

Thanks all for the encouragement about my little swim this morning. Swimming is definitely my weakest leg, so I'd like to make some improvement on it before May. Even if I don't get a lot faster (which I know I will), I want to leave the water feeling like I'm just warmed up and ready to ride. Smile

2013-01-08 1:51 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
well, looking like a day off here.  I am suppose to run but no biggy, I'll just move it to tomorrow.  It's windy anyways.
2013-01-08 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Experior - 2013-01-08 1:40 PM Hey gang!  I've been away since Christmas, but we've got the little ones into our routine now, and I think I'm ready to be a productive member of society again...  I look forward to catching up with the group.  I might even run today!

Glad to hear it - you wouldn't want a repeat of that last HM performance.  Wink

2013-01-08 2:08 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

So I showed up at the gym pool today, and was shocked when I walked through the door and saw seven other swimmers, an assortment of gear, plus a coach on the deck - WTF is this?  Seeems that a local Tri club is now doing a coached swim session every Tuesday from 12:30-1:30, which coincides with when I normally swim.  There's a cost to join, but if you're a member of the gym, you get to swim with them for free.

Guess who cancelled his gym membership last week....

At least I've got a couple of weeks to swim with them, and then I might buckle down and pay to swim with them.  They're coached by a former Pro, who's also certified as a both a swim, run, and Tri coach.

And to top it off, they were doing 4x100 when I joined in.  First time swimming with others in the pool forever, and I went almost 10 seconds faster on the first 100 than normal - no, I'm not competitive 9also gassed myself at the end of that first set).

Oh, and the coach nicely pointed out that my stroke out of the water basically sucks and I need to change it, and with my wingspan I should be going much faster.  Spent some extra time working on some drills she said would help.

2013-01-08 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4568452

User image

GoFaster - 2013-01-08 10:08 AM

So I showed up at the gym pool today, and was shocked when I walked through the door and saw seven other swimmers, an assortment of gear, plus a coach on the deck - WTF is this?  Seeems that a local Tri club is now doing a coached swim session every Tuesday from 12:30-1:30, which coincides with when I normally swim.  There's a cost to join, but if you're a member of the gym, you get to swim with them for free.

Guess who cancelled his gym membership last week....

At least I've got a couple of weeks to swim with them, and then I might buckle down and pay to swim with them.  They're coached by a former Pro, who's also certified as a both a swim, run, and Tri coach.

And to top it off, they were doing 4x100 when I joined in.  First time swimming with others in the pool forever, and I went almost 10 seconds faster on the first 100 than normal - no, I'm not competitive 9also gassed myself at the end of that first set).

Oh, and the coach nicely pointed out that my stroke out of the water basically sucks and I need to change it, and with my wingspan I should be going much faster.  Spent some extra time working on some drills she said would help.

I have kept my YMCA membership just so I can swim their masters class once a week.  Must be a little exciting in a way to have and experienced swimmer point out a major flaw in your stroke.  Sounds like you've got some potential to cut a few seconds per 100 pretty quick.

2013-01-08 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks for the advice guys...I think I can put something together that is similar to a HIM plan but heavier on the bike and lighter on the run. It will be a sort of experiment
2013-01-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4568565

User image

riorio - 2013-01-08 10:57 AM Thanks for the advice guys...I think I can put something together that is similar to a HIM plan but heavier on the bike and lighter on the run. It will be a sort of experiment

Leadman sounds like a really fun race.

2013-01-08 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4568585

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
tri808 - 2013-01-08 1:05 PM

riorio - 2013-01-08 10:57 AM Thanks for the advice guys...I think I can put something together that is similar to a HIM plan but heavier on the bike and lighter on the run. It will be a sort of experiment

It appeals to me because it's local and because of the distances...I like that there is no pressure to perform for a specific HIM or IM time. 

2013-01-08 3:34 PM

User image

Regular

being an hour short of the sleep i need is major for me. honestly, I'm self employed and don't work 9-5. I often grab a nap during the day. come to think of it...when i did work all day i sometimes went and napped in my car...i really like to sleep! Another comment about swim teams....some coaches are geared toward the pool comp events rather than open water. For this year, at least part of the practices I'm ditching the non-triathletes on the team ....I will swim 500's and sight, never did that last year.  The tri coach advised picking a timed interval and sticking with it to get faster. Like 100's on the 2:10....but lots of ten second rests in the pool spoiled me for the 800 meter open water swim. I still got out of the water smiling at the photographers............but revising this years practices at any rate.

Plan to compete in a pool event at beginning of tri season....just to go with the team....will just do the longest event offered maybe 1500 meters IDK. It doesnt matter, its a stepping stone for my tri.

2013-01-08 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4568610

Master
Northern IL
riorio - 2013-01-08 3:16 PM
tri808 - 2013-01-08 1:05 PM

It appeals to me because it's local and because of the distances...I like that there is no pressure to perform for a specific HIM or IM time. 

I wish they had one out this way. The current locations would be rather substantial travel for me.

2013-01-08 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4567069

User image

Seattle
marcag - 2013-01-07 8:03 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-01-07 4:55 PM

I'm seriously considering doing the Oly Distance AG National Championships in August. I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of all this bike suffering you people speak of Wink hence my question the other day.

In the words of a great philosopher in "Angels"

• To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering
  • Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls, The most massive characters are seared with scars
  • Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened
  • A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears

Welp, can't argue with that ... er ... those.

I'm signing up when registration opens up. Wisconsin here I come!

2013-01-08 7:38 PM

User image

5,000 miles from home
Feeling recovered after my little bout with the flu. Just back from the pool: It's January at the YMCA- no parking to be found. I ended up sharing a lane with one other adult and about 15 small children swimming every which direction. Funny but it acutally reminded me of a real triathlon swim where there are bodies coming at you from all angles!

Adrienne I see you are running Boston, I am contemplating working there with the medical team but have not entirely made up my mind yet. Have not made up my mind about AG Nationals in WI yet either but congrats on your decision to go ahead with that one.

I have been catching up on posts from the last few days and am really learning a lot from all the recent posts about bicycle training. Thanks for all the great info. Can someone explain how Trainer Road works? Do you need extra equipement? Sounds interesting. What is the benefit of the program over just doing sets and reps as written in your regular training schedule?

2013-01-08 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4567626

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS

Great job! I need to get back in the water.

2013-01-09 4:22 AM
in reply to: #4568937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2013-01-08 7:23 PM
marcag - 2013-01-07 8:03 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-01-07 4:55 PM

I'm seriously considering doing the Oly Distance AG National Championships in August. I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of all this bike suffering you people speak of Wink hence my question the other day.

In the words of a great philosopher in "Angels"

• To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering
  • Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls, The most massive characters are seared with scars
  • Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened
  • A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears

Welp, can't argue with that ... er ... those.

I'm signing up when registration opens up. Wisconsin here I come!

If you have to do any trainer work, get a Sufferfest (Angels is a good choice) and you will thank us, or throw something at us, later

2013-01-09 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4569336

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

marcag - 2013-01-09 5:22 AM

If you have to do any trainer work, get a Sufferfest (Angels is a good choice) and you will thank us, or throw something at us, later

IME, it's both...

I managed to catch up with the group yesterday, then caught my breath and went for a run.  First time back into it feels really good.  Somehow I will get to the pool today, which will probably be a different story.  (I know, I know.  Attitude.)

2013-01-09 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4569564

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome back Michael, glad to hear things are back to a level of normalcy that you can get some training in!

I finally have all my luggage and it's not pouring rain here so I can get a run in today.  I was on the hotel gym bike last night for about 40 mins, not quite the same as the trainer.....

2013-01-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4568214

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
ligersandtions - 2013-01-08 2:33 PM

I often wake up before my alarm, especially if I've gotten a proper amount of sleep (~8-8.5 hours for me).  The other reason that I often wake up before the alarm is the use of my "pre-alarm".  I generally have my alarm set for 4:20am but I have a timer on the kettle in the kitchen set for 4:12 (water takes 8 mins to boil).  A few mins before 4:20 the kettle starts to make a bit of noise when the water is getting hot and the dogs (in another room) hear that and start getting restless.  They don't bark usually but start walking around and that's usually what wakes me up.

2013-01-09 8:33 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Got my run in this morning under the cover of darkness using the headlamp.  If I got it all done while it was still dark I wouldn't get that extra chill that settles in as the sun comes up.  Took the lazy dog for the easy part of my run and took the way to much energy dog for my intervals so both dogs got a run.  On Monday during my run me and the dog ran right next to some elk that were waiting to cross the road.  So we were just feet from them.  The dog totally ignored them.  If she pretends they are not there then they just don't exist.  I do not think she will be good protection against an attack of any sort.

I keep saying that some day I am going to get on the trainer.  So far that has been a pretty big fail

2013-01-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4569564

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Experior - 2013-01-09 9:14 AM

marcag - 2013-01-09 5:22 AM

IME, it's both...

I managed to catch up with the group yesterday, then caught my breath and went for a run.  First time back into it feels really good.  Somehow I will get to the pool today, which will probably be a different story.  (I know, I know.  Attitude.)

Welcome back Michael!  I just got back in the pool yesterday from a 3 week holiday-induced layoff and really enjoyed it although my swim fitness is crap.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190