BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-11 6:29 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Well I didn't exactly get my intended workouts this weekend in...but spending 3 hours in the attic building an elevated floor for storage has to count right??  After crawling around on blown in insulation and joists I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning from the soreness...

2015-01-11 6:33 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Erin, I do watch the pace on my watch, but then I'll run by feel for a bit, look down and realize my pace changed dramatically. I've tried running with my hrm, but the permanent scar on my sternum from chafing on 3 different garmin & 1 polar straps caused me to say f-it & throw it in the drawer.

Ouch! I have to say my ribcage is appreciating my strap hiatus. Even though I don't have scarring, I get tired of the binding feeling of sports bra + strap. I tossed it aside for the last couple of weeks for several reasons. Not regretting it just yet.

Hmmmm...what about an app that gives you auditory feedback every 2min/.5mi (or whatever increment)? That way "for a bit" is a set time/distance that you can move out as you get a better feel. I know carrying your phone might not be optimal, but I used RunKeeper a couple of years ago and that function was helpful.

2015-01-11 7:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by glfprncs Question for those of you who are wiser than me regarding pacing and tempo: HOW did you learn how to pace yourself? I find (according to my Garmin data) that my pace during a mile is all over the place. I'd really like to become more consistent. Clearly, a lot of this connects to fitness...if you're becoming so winded that it's difficult to maintain that pace, then the pace needs to slow, but if I'm running on a relatively flat surface with minimal elevation change (like today's run), what sorts of things can/do you do to ingrain a specific pace in your head that you can knock out mile after mile? A lot of my issue (I think) is related to cadence. When I tire, I my cadence slows until I remember..."Up the cadence." Would running with a metronome (on an app or something) help? Music with a certain bpm? I never run with music or anything in my ears unless I'm on a treadmill (which is rare). Would love your thoughts and suggestions.

Nancy, I am sure Salty, Ben and others way better at running than I will respond.  But, I found that the more I ran, the better I got at this.  I never knew what pace I was running without looking at my Garmin.  Now, after putting on a lot more km in the past couple years, I am usually pretty close to knowing just by feel.  I think it comes down to knowing how paces "feel", and that takes time and experience.

The first thing I did while working on my pacing was to set my Garmin to give me half mile spits.  A mile was too much territory to cover before getting accurate pace feedback.  Garmin current pace has never worked well for me.  Half miles has worked really well for me.

In the old days before Garmins I used to run on the track a lot to work on my pacing.  Most people find it kind of boring but I made a game out of how close I could hit each quarter to my target.

Like Kirsten said, the more you run the more paces get engrained in your mind and muscle memory.

I do not generally change anything like cadence when I feel I'm tiring and not hitting the pace I want.  I tend to start shuffling when I tire so I focus on lifting and driving my knees since that is what starts to deteriorate when I tire.  I don't change my form per se but try to regain my natural form when it starts to break down.  I find swimming to be similar in this regard.     

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-11 7:08 PM
2015-01-11 8:53 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by glfprncs Question for those of you who are wiser than me regarding pacing and tempo: HOW did you learn how to pace yourself? I find (according to my Garmin data) that my pace during a mile is all over the place. I'd really like to become more consistent. Clearly, a lot of this connects to fitness...if you're becoming so winded that it's difficult to maintain that pace, then the pace needs to slow, but if I'm running on a relatively flat surface with minimal elevation change (like today's run), what sorts of things can/do you do to ingrain a specific pace in your head that you can knock out mile after mile? A lot of my issue (I think) is related to cadence. When I tire, I my cadence slows until I remember..."Up the cadence." Would running with a metronome (on an app or something) help? Music with a certain bpm? I never run with music or anything in my ears unless I'm on a treadmill (which is rare). Would love your thoughts and suggestions.

Nancy, I am sure Salty, Ben and others way better at running than I will respond.  But, I found that the more I ran, the better I got at this.  I never knew what pace I was running without looking at my Garmin.  Now, after putting on a lot more km in the past couple years, I am usually pretty close to knowing just by feel.  I think it comes down to knowing how paces "feel", and that takes time and experience.

The first thing I did while working on my pacing was to set my Garmin to give me half mile spits.  A mile was too much territory to cover before getting accurate pace feedback.  Garmin current pace has never worked well for me.  Half miles has worked really well for me.

In the old days before Garmins I used to run on the track a lot to work on my pacing.  Most people find it kind of boring but I made a game out of how close I could hit each quarter to my target.

Like Kirsten said, the more you run the more paces get engrained in your mind and muscle memory.

I do not generally change anything like cadence when I feel I'm tiring and not hitting the pace I want.  I tend to start shuffling when I tire so I focus on lifting and driving my knees since that is what starts to deteriorate when I tire.  I don't change my form per se but try to regain my natural form when it starts to break down.  I find swimming to be similar in this regard. 

A short answer is also in developing that feel with practice. And for me the feel is more towards the effort being put out. Pace can change as you get more (or less) fit. Like Steve, I'll also keep an eye on some mechanics things though maybe a little different ones (individual here).

2015-01-11 10:33 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Just back from holidays in Thailand, spent a day with Macca and Jurgen Zack...very nice too!

So now back to reality which means watching what i eat - no rather not eating as much! And some more serious training.

good to be back into that routine. Watch this space, i may just get enthused for triathlon....
2015-01-11 10:49 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master

Advice request.

I don't use my clipless pedals on my mtn bike. I had them on my Kona years ago and never felt comfortable. Now that I've got all my road experience, I'm thinking about trying again on Harry...but I use him for all of my kid rides and not sure I want to clip in for those all the time.

Any experience/knowledge with dual pedals like these? http://www.rei.com/product/668198/shimano-m324-spd-pedals 

2015-01-12 3:30 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Advice request.

I don't use my clipless pedals on my mtn bike. I had them on my Kona years ago and never felt comfortable. Now that I've got all my road experience, I'm thinking about trying again on Harry...but I use him for all of my kid rides and not sure I want to clip in for those all the time.

Any experience/knowledge with dual pedals like these? http://www.rei.com/product/668198/shimano-m324-spd-pedals 

I have combo pedals on my MTB and foldie (flat one side, clip in the other). They're awesome. You can get them for a LOT less than $70 though. I pay about $20 for mine, I'd pay $30 max.

2015-01-12 6:31 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black Nice job Ben and Mississippi Matt!

Indeed, well done and congratulations guys, quite a bit of effort.

2015-01-12 6:46 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Advice request.

I can't see the picture. But I imagine they are the smaller ones. If so I used something similar for years. Welgo pedals they are the same spd clip.

I have now moved up to the Shimano 105 newest version. I still have my spd for spin class and for mountain bike. Mountain bike is flat oneside and spd on the other. When I jump on bike to ride with kids and go to park I can wear normal shoes.

Welgos lasted me for 10,000 km then fell apart but they were like $22 at MEC (similar to REI) in Canada. Oh and when I started I backed the pedals off so they were really easy to unclip from.

Edited by Techdiver 2015-01-12 6:46 AM
2015-01-12 7:09 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Advice request.

I have combo pedals on my MTB and foldie (flat one side, clip in the other). They're awesome. You can get them for a LOT less than $70 though. I pay about $20 for mine, I'd pay $30 max.

I don't have personal experience with them, but both brothers have done alright.

2015-01-12 7:32 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Free cat ... will ship worldwide ...

Don't let the face fool you. Actually wait, yes, let the face fool you!!! This is a darling sweet peaceful little angel who just sits around looking cute all day!

There is NOTHING this cat cannot climb or get into or out of. I should have named him Houdini. I guess he started out by escaping from a fire and TO the only person who'd pick up that grubby little thing and nurse him back to health, so ...

2015-01-12 7:32 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black Just started my workout for the day and figured I'd try and win the awkward selfie award while I was at it. Untitled

Awkward, maybe. But anytime there is an alcoholic beverage in it, the picture quality goes up

2015-01-12 7:34 AM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Havok

Well I didn't exactly get my intended workouts this weekend in...but spending 3 hours in the attic building an elevated floor for storage has to count right??  After crawling around on blown in insulation and joists I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning from the soreness...

This qualifies as a workout in my book.

2015-01-12 7:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

Did have the Frozen Gnome 10k this morning. -5F race temp with 6-8" of snow on a single track trail. Took 56:34 to finish. Think an equivalent effort on a more ideal course would be close to 41 minutes.

There is also a 50k going on there. 5 laps of the same course. Saw a guy come through the first lap just a few minutes behind me!

CONGRATULATIONS B ... Br ... Be ... Icicle!!!

Just wow.

2015-01-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like the idea, Steve. Mine is set to mile laps, so I may try that. One thing that I've started recently is counting footfalls (1, 2, 3, 4) and I have noticed differences in my cadence. So now when I think I have slowed, I'll start counting and I have found that reminds me of where I "should be".  I am just trying to be more in tune to my body by doing this. I also find that I must remind myself to keep my head up/shoulders back/etc on occasion, especially if I am getting deeper into a longer run.

2015-01-12 7:40 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by msteiner

Ran the Quarter Note today, and finished with a 6:44/mile pace.  For the lack of running I've done (my logs are updated) I'll take it.  I targeted a 6:35 pace, but over time I wore down.  I did also finish 2nd overall, which was pretty cool.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239263032

This is a pic of a teammate and friend of mine after the finish.  He placed 3rd overall in the Quarter Note.

Congrats SPEEDEE MISSISSIPPEE!!!

2015-01-12 7:41 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Well, beer workout on Saturday went ok, but I spent most of the evening trying to fix the dang pool furnace. We had friends over and all our kids were looking forward to getting in the hot tub, but no dice.

Ended up skipping my ride yesterday. Weather was wet and cold and wussed out on driving all the way to the gym to do 2 hours on the stationary.

Back at it in the pool this morning though, feeling refreshed! Finished with a 400 where I felt dead tired and my pace was still 1:35/100yds. I feel pretty good about that!
2015-01-12 8:03 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by cdban66

I like the idea, Steve. Mine is set to mile laps, so I may try that. One thing that I've started recently is counting footfalls (1, 2, 3, 4) and I have noticed differences in my cadence. So now when I think I have slowed, I'll start counting and I have found that reminds me of where I "should be".  I am just trying to be more in tune to my body by doing this. I also find that I must remind myself to keep my head up/shoulders back/etc on occasion, especially if I am getting deeper into a longer run.

I use the "Lap Pace" data field on my Fenix 2...much more accurate that the instant pace which can jump all over the place.  I'll usually auto lap by 0.5 mile or something to make sure I'm consistent.

Ray Maker (DC Rainmaker) has a really good blog on all things Garmin (and lots of other stuff).  You can find some good tips on pacing and the use of these little technological wonders.

2015-01-12 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

When I run I only have two metrics showing on my FR10, instantaneous pace and time elapsed.  Now admittedly part of this is due to the FR10 only showing 2 fields at a time, but I like instantaneous pace.  Like Kirsten I've gotten to a point where I run specific paces for specific distances, and I know what those paces feel like.  

I feel like instantaneous pace is a better metric than lap pace, but I think what people do with instant pace is try to hold a 8:25 (arbitrary number) pace on the dot their whole run.  You need to allow yourself a range depending on weather and terrain.  If I were trying to hold a 8:25 average, I would allow myself to go as slow as say 8:55 for hills and down to 8:00 on downhills.  You should still have the same effort level despite letting the pace move around.

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-12 8:19 AM
2015-01-12 9:10 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Free cat ... will ship worldwide ...

Don't let the face fool you. Actually wait, yes, let the face fool you!!! This is a darling sweet peaceful little angel who just sits around looking cute all day!

There is NOTHING this cat cannot climb or get into or out of. I should have named him Houdini. I guess he started out by escaping from a fire and TO the only person who'd pick up that grubby little thing and nurse him back to health, so ...

Wanna trade litties? I locked her in the bathroom because she insisted she sit on my back while I was doing my 2 hour trainer ride on Saturday. I should have known she was up to something when I stopped hearing her Siamese squeaks but silly be thought she might be sleeping like a good little Lilo. HA!

(lilotp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lilotp.jpg (54KB - 4 downloads)
2015-01-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Advice request.

These are the first pedals I got when I got "real" cycling shoes and they were fine.  I was afraid of falling so I'd clip in when on my trainer, then wear running shoes when riding outside.  The only down side was that I got used to having the power on the upstroke.  When I was using the platform side, I had to be careful or my foot would slip off.  If you're already used to going back and forth between clipless and platform, I don't think you'll have any issues.

2015-01-12 9:54 AM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Havok

There's a "home improvement" option under "Sports" on your training log.  I'm the one reviewing the logs so I get to make the call.  Although it's definitely physical activity, the goal is to focus on training consistently, so I don't think it counts.  The most important consideration, though, is whether beer was involved.

I did something similar over the holidays.  I went through a jillion boxes of stuff stored in the attic.  Schlepping boxes up and down the drop-down stairs and crawling around up there (it's decked but you can't stand up) was quite the workout!!  I didn't log it but I probably should have, given that I could only manage to do a couple hours at a time before my back cried, "Uncle!"

2015-01-12 10:01 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

When I run I only have two metrics showing on my FR10, instantaneous pace and time elapsed.  Now admittedly part of this is due to the FR10 only showing 2 fields at a time, but I like instantaneous pace.  Like Kirsten I've gotten to a point where I run specific paces for specific distances, and I know what those paces feel like.  

I feel like instantaneous pace is a better metric than lap pace, but I think what people do with instant pace is try to hold a 8:25 (arbitrary number) pace on the dot their whole run.  You need to allow yourself a range depending on weather and terrain.  If I were trying to hold a 8:25 average, I would allow myself to go as slow as say 8:55 for hills and down to 8:00 on downhills.  You should still have the same effort level despite letting the pace move around.

I use instant as well, along with heart rate. Instant doesn't really seem to be quite that on the run watches (the 210 at least), but more of an average of the last 3-10 seconds or so (unlike bike power which will be 1 sec or so). I use it along with RPE to help guide what I'm doing right at that moment. HR helps to average in a few things like grade changes, wind, and what's happened over the last few minutes (and maybe longer). Though think I saw the HR bands were giving issues. Wish I had an answer for that as I've been doing well with them in that regard.

2015-01-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

One more catch-up post, then back to work.

Nancy, DH has a wrist thingie by Mio that tracks HR.  Might be worth looking into since the other HRMs have caused chafing.

Yanti, that cat is so stinkin' cute, I can smell him from here.  I think he's with you for the duration so you'd better get used to his mischief.  I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of it!

Robin, your kitty ranks right up there on the cuteness scale!  That took some real effort to get that nest set up.

Go Jo!!  DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEET!!

2015-01-12 10:40 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

I use instant as well, along with heart rate. Instant doesn't really seem to be quite that on the run watches (the 210 at least), but more of an average of the last 3-10 seconds or so (unlike bike power which will be 1 sec or so). I use it along with RPE to help guide what I'm doing right at that moment. HR helps to average in a few things like grade changes, wind, and what's happened over the last few minutes (and maybe longer). Though think I saw the HR bands were giving issues. Wish I had an answer for that as I've been doing well with them in that regard.

I rarely use a watch and because of that, I think I've really built up the skill of pacing. So, long story short, good pacing just takes lots of practice and discipline.For me, it's all about the perceived effort. I am constantly checking in with myself, asking myself, "can I hold this for another x miles? Can I go faster? Etc" it's much less about the watch because even if I want to run a marathon (or 5k, etc) at any given pace, who is to say the course profile, weather, or even how I am feeling that day won't impact it?
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55411 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.