BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-02-22 7:42 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Hot Runner Jealous of everybody and everything (okay--maybe not of long-range issues from concussions). Met with ortho today and have surgery next Thursday--fixing at least three pieces of elbow (two large, one fragment, possibly more) with screws and plate. If all goes well, I can get on the trainer in 3-4 weeks, pool in 4-6 weeks, running in 8-10 weeks, and biking in 10-12 weeks. No further race plans for the year, due to uncertainty about recovery, time needed to regain fitness, and uncertainty about job and moving for summer and beyond. Sigh.... Wishing you all better luck than me!

I'm glad you are putting a plan in place and so sorry that you are going through this. Like others said, heal well and hopefully quickly.

I was thinking about this a lot lately. Last night, I was remembering how I felt after my bike crash and going through surgery and early rehab. I felt much better once I got past the early rehab and was able to put stuff on the calendar. I guess I'm just used to having that *thing* out there to strive for.

Karen, I we are thinking of you through this unfortunate phase. Please check in with us when you can and know that we are all pulling for you!

2019-02-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
OMG am about ready to do a mercy killing on myself! What's really frustrating is having to just sit around (it will be almost 13 days since the injury, considering the time difference, by the time I have surgery). I'm pretty good at enduring pain if I can tell myself things are healing, and very good at stuff like following instructions and PT. But at this point, the pieces are too far apart to do anything until they get put back together, and nothing I do right now can help. (Will spare you the x-ray--basically my elbow bone has separated from the ulna that it's supposed to attach to, by over a centimeter. Plus a little other collateral damage. More typical of a bike crash type injury--I guess I run fast and fall hard.) From everything I've heard it hurts a lot worse once they stick all the metal in. Yikes!

Not much pain at first but more now, especially at night. Not just the actual injury but other stuff from cast and weird positions I get into trying to get "comfortable". Any advice from anyone who's had similar stuff welcome, especially how to sleep. I "may" have gotten a total of 2-3 hours since the accident. Not sure if mind or body's going to go first.

As for goals, by the time early rehab is over, I should know more about jobs. May pick a scenic HM or something for late summer or fall if I am up to it.
2019-02-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner OMG am about ready to do a mercy killing on myself! What's really frustrating is having to just sit around (it will be almost 13 days since the injury, considering the time difference, by the time I have surgery). I'm pretty good at enduring pain if I can tell myself things are healing, and very good at stuff like following instructions and PT. But at this point, the pieces are too far apart to do anything until they get put back together, and nothing I do right now can help. (Will spare you the x-ray--basically my elbow bone has separated from the ulna that it's supposed to attach to, by over a centimeter. Plus a little other collateral damage. More typical of a bike crash type injury--I guess I run fast and fall hard.) From everything I've heard it hurts a lot worse once they stick all the metal in. Yikes! Not much pain at first but more now, especially at night. Not just the actual injury but other stuff from cast and weird positions I get into trying to get "comfortable". Any advice from anyone who's had similar stuff welcome, especially how to sleep. I "may" have gotten a total of 2-3 hours since the accident. Not sure if mind or body's going to go first. As for goals, by the time early rehab is over, I should know more about jobs. May pick a scenic HM or something for late summer or fall if I am up to it.

Karen, I am reaching out to my friend Jim who has broken his elbow twice in cycling wrecks. Hopefully he'll have some advice.

I know that after my shoulder surgery, I was thankful to have an ice pump thingie. That helped with the pain a lot. I got mine from my surgeon. Basically, it pumped ice water to pad that was velcroed to my shoulder and kept things cold. Not sure how that would work with a cast.

2019-02-22 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Manatee admin stuff:

• I added Mary Stone to the roster. Once a Manatee always a Manatee and all that. Many of us have been following her but I haven't her on the Active Manatees list recently. I just want folks to be able to find her easily.
  • Also, I've noticed that Mary has been posting to Strava recently so I added her to our Strava group as well.
  • Regarding the Land and Sky Relay: We have filled one team. If we can get four more runners, we can field a second team so don't feel that you've been left out! If you want to help out or just hang out, that's an option as well!
  • Regarding Manatee shirts: The relay team(s) will need shirts. After quick look at the Custom Ink stuff, it looks like shirts -- Champion performance -- will run us about $25 each (front printing only, $30 if we put something like Dooo eeeet!!! on the back) with a minimum of six per shirt style. The relay team + driver/sherpa need these shirts but if you aren't coming to Asheville/Cherokee in November (or you are running with another team!), you can still order a shirt! Please participate in the shirt discussions regardless. All opinions matter!

By "need" do you mean the race requires it? Or just that it would be cool? I didn't see that on the site. I don't mind pitching in for shirts, but if I have to run in it I much prefer tech.

2019-02-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Manatee admin stuff:

• I added Mary Stone to the roster. Once a Manatee always a Manatee and all that. Many of us have been following her but I haven't her on the Active Manatees list recently. I just want folks to be able to find her easily.
  • Also, I've noticed that Mary has been posting to Strava recently so I added her to our Strava group as well.
  • Regarding the Land and Sky Relay: We have filled one team. If we can get four more runners, we can field a second team so don't feel that you've been left out! If you want to help out or just hang out, that's an option as well!
  • Regarding Manatee shirts: The relay team(s) will need shirts. After quick look at the Custom Ink stuff, it looks like shirts -- Champion performance -- will run us about $25 each (front printing only, $30 if we put something like Dooo eeeet!!! on the back) with a minimum of six per shirt style. The relay team + driver/sherpa need these shirts but if you aren't coming to Asheville/Cherokee in November (or you are running with another team!), you can still order a shirt! Please participate in the shirt discussions regardless. All opinions matter!

By "need" do you mean the race requires it? Or just that it would be cool? I didn't see that on the site. I don't mind pitching in for shirts, but if I have to run in it I much prefer tech.

The second thing -- need for our photos and to look like a team at the start/end. The $25 is for a Champion brand short-sleeved tech tee. They also have Nike, UA and other brands as well as cotton/blend tees. So no, we don;t have to run in them but we do probably want to wear them when we cross the finish line. I know that Tuna Run and other relays encourage teams to run the last bit together and cross the line as a team so at least a few hundred yards of running

2019-02-22 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Manatee admin stuff:

The second thing -- need for our photos and to look like a team at the start/end. The $25 is for a Champion brand short-sleeved tech tee. They also have Nike, UA and other brands as well as cotton/blend tees. So no, we don;t have to run in them but we do probably want to wear them when we cross the finish line. I know that Tuna Run and other relays encourage teams to run the last bit together and cross the line as a team so at least a few hundred yards of running

I am all in for that.

2019-02-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Manatee admin stuff:

The race doesn't require you all be in the same shirt or if it does I think my team will be disqualified  I'll let Janyne confirm this, but I believe champion performance is a tech material.

ETA: oops, she was answering as i was!

Edited by amd723 2019-02-22 10:13 AM
2019-02-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatee admin stuff:

I am all in for that.

Plus we need to look better than the Jackwagons

2019-02-22 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Manatee admin stuff:

I am all in for that.

haha, I need to design a jackwagon logo!

2019-02-22 11:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 23-24
Nancy - Augusta Half Marathon on Saturday
Stacey - Swissmurdie Trail 17k on Sunday
Chris - Dirty Hamster 100 on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-02-22 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Manatee admin stuff:

I am all in for that.

haha, I need to design a jackwagon logo!

Yeah, you need to get on that!

2019-02-22 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 23-24

Is anyone else racing?

Wow, nice mix of races this weekend! Go manatees!!

2019-02-22 12:48 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner OMG am about ready to do a mercy killing on myself! What's really frustrating is having to just sit around (it will be almost 13 days since the injury, considering the time difference, by the time I have surgery). I'm pretty good at enduring pain if I can tell myself things are healing, and very good at stuff like following instructions and PT. But at this point, the pieces are too far apart to do anything until they get put back together, and nothing I do right now can help. (Will spare you the x-ray--basically my elbow bone has separated from the ulna that it's supposed to attach to, by over a centimeter. Plus a little other collateral damage. More typical of a bike crash type injury--I guess I run fast and fall hard.) From everything I've heard it hurts a lot worse once they stick all the metal in. Yikes! Not much pain at first but more now, especially at night. Not just the actual injury but other stuff from cast and weird positions I get into trying to get "comfortable". Any advice from anyone who's had similar stuff welcome, especially how to sleep. I "may" have gotten a total of 2-3 hours since the accident. Not sure if mind or body's going to go first. As for goals, by the time early rehab is over, I should know more about jobs. May pick a scenic HM or something for late summer or fall if I am up to it.

Karen, I am reaching out to my friend Jim who has broken his elbow twice in cycling wrecks. Hopefully he'll have some advice.

I know that after my shoulder surgery, I was thankful to have an ice pump thingie. That helped with the pain a lot. I got mine from my surgeon. Basically, it pumped ice water to pad that was velcroed to my shoulder and kept things cold. Not sure how that would work with a cast.

I had a similar ice pump after my surgery with a cast.  The surgeon put the pad inside the cast and left it there with the tube sticking out.  When it was time to ice, I'd connect the tube to the machine and turn it on.  Mine was a slightly different version than the linked one and might have been designed specifically for casts (and unfortunately I no longer have it so can't check brand or model).  I got it directly from the surgeon's office.  It definitely helped with pain!

2019-02-22 12:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 23-24

Is anyone else racing?

GOOOO Nancy!!

GOOOO Stacey!!

GOOOO Chris, who wins Best Race Name this week in  my book!

2019-02-22 1:00 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Manatee admin stuff:

Yeah, I'm down with the shirt idea especially if it is tech.  I'd be up to spend the extra $5 per shirt for DOOOOO EEEEEET on the back but if I'm in the minority, that's OK, too.

2019-02-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Manatee admin stuff:

Yeah, I'm down with the shirt idea especially if it is tech.  I'd be up to spend the extra $5 per shirt for DOOOOO EEEEEET on the back but if I'm in the minority, that's OK, too.

It sound fun to me!

2019-02-22 6:28 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I would totally purchase a Manatee shirt!
2019-02-23 10:07 AM
in reply to: #5255818

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Was a cold, drizzly morning for a half marathon this morning, and I really wasn't feeling it, but I had a great race.

Followed the plan almost to the letter, ran a negative split, my fastest splits were my final 3 miles and I had a PR to boot. Yay!
2019-02-23 11:21 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Was a cold, drizzly morning for a half marathon this morning, and I really wasn't feeling it, but I had a great race. Followed the plan almost to the letter, ran a negative split, my fastest splits were my final 3 miles and I had a PR to boot. Yay!

Nice job!

2019-02-23 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

Was a cold, drizzly morning for a half marathon this morning, and I really wasn't feeling it, but I had a great race.

Followed the plan almost to the letter, ran a negative split, my fastest splits were my final 3 miles and I had a PR to boot. Yay!

Congratulations!
2019-02-23 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by glfprncs

Great job well done

2019-02-23 2:09 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Was a cold, drizzly morning for a half marathon this morning, and I really wasn't feeling it, but I had a great race. Followed the plan almost to the letter, ran a negative split, my fastest splits were my final 3 miles and I had a PR to boot. Yay!

Nice, congrats!

2019-02-23 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

way to go!

2019-02-24 3:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Had a great run this morning. This is my favourite of all the trail events I've done. It has some big up hills and some fantastic down hills and some wonderful rocky single track along both side of the creek and it's just fun.

The hills didn't hurt as much this year as they did last year and I took 24 minutes off my time from last year so I'm stoked (and smashed)
2019-02-24 4:19 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Originally posted by StaceyKHad a great run this morning. This is my favourite of all the trail events I've done. It has some big up hills and some fantastic down hills and some wonderful rocky single track along both side of the creek and it's just fun. The hills didn't hurt as much this year as they did last year and I took 24 minutes off my time from last year so I'm stoked (and smashed)
Awesome, Stacey, congrats!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107