BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-16 10:11 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Congratulations Sean, Monica and Tom!! 

Happy Birthday Yanti!

2016-05-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper I now have a racing photo whoop whoop!

Love it!

2016-05-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by tomsimper I now have a racing photo whoop whoop!
and a happy one, too!

2016-05-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Very big congrats to Sean and Monica for surviving a crazy day of weather and other challenges at IMTX, way to nail it!

Very big congrats to Tom for finishing his first tri and now having a race pic to proudly display and use as an avatar!

Happy birthday, dear Yanti!

Ben - How did your shoulder fare with chopping all that wood?!

Really well! I stayed off using equipment like the wood splitter or chainsaws, sticking to hauling and loading. Didn't want to find an odd angle that turns out to have an issues. Trying to throw something can still be weird, though that got a pretty good workout too with all the dogs around. They were always dropping a tennis ball nearby!

We had a surprise late on saturday. Cutting some branches off a tree we couldn't take down and suddenly bunch of bunnies came flying out of a previously unseen hole in the ground. About 6 of them, no bigger than a fist. That type of thing seems to only happen with a bee or wasp nest. We caught a few so the dogs wouldn't get them. The rest managed to hide well enough on their own.

2016-05-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Great work Sean, Monica and Tom. Happy Birthday Yanti, wouldn't have put you as the same age as me :/

I'll be away for a couple of weeks on vacation. I'm hoping to pop in now and again when I can. I'm taking the computer out with me to try and get the rest of my route planned before I get back.  Toodle pips.

2016-05-16 12:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by melbo55

Very big congrats to Sean and Monica for surviving a crazy day of weather and other challenges at IMTX, way to nail it!

Very big congrats to Tom for finishing his first tri and now having a race pic to proudly display and use as an avatar!

Happy birthday, dear Yanti!

Ben - How did your shoulder fare with chopping all that wood?!

Really well! I stayed off using equipment like the wood splitter or chainsaws, sticking to hauling and loading. Didn't want to find an odd angle that turns out to have an issues. Trying to throw something can still be weird, though that got a pretty good workout too with all the dogs around. They were always dropping a tennis ball nearby!

We had a surprise late on saturday. Cutting some branches off a tree we couldn't take down and suddenly bunch of bunnies came flying out of a previously unseen hole in the ground. About 6 of them, no bigger than a fist. That type of thing seems to only happen with a bee or wasp nest. We caught a few so the dogs wouldn't get them. The rest managed to hide well enough on their own.

Awwwwwww

2016-05-16 12:06 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Great work Sean, Monica and Tom. Happy Birthday Yanti, wouldn't have put you as the same age as me :/

I'll be away for a couple of weeks on vacation. I'm hoping to pop in now and again when I can. I'm taking the computer out with me to try and get the rest of my route planned before I get back.  Toodle pips.

Have fun! Post pix to FB

2016-05-16 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Have fun in Mallorca!

2016-05-16 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Have a great time.  I think I'm going to start using toodle pips!

2016-05-16 12:44 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOO HOO CONGRATS RACERS!

And HOLY COW on IMTX Conditions!! Way to go Sean and Monica! Short course or not - you're clearly IRONMEN!
2016-05-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congrats to Sean, Monica and Tom ("Sean Mon. and Tom" has a nice ring to it)!!

Happy birthday Yanti!  Oh, to be 40 again. 

Happy Monday to everyone! 

Matt

2016-05-16 2:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Alright, I've been AWOL for a while, but I can't miss Yanti's birthday!  Hope you have a good one!

Congrats to Sean and Monica.  You guys earned that one!  Congrats to Tom as well.

I was going to do a tri relay next month, but with my team falling apart on me, it may not happen.  I'm still enjoying lifting, but I've been inserting more cycling into the mix.  It's been interesting balancing the two.

2016-05-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I believe that Mary G. was on the podium this weekend as well!

2016-05-16 3:00 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Thanks Janyne! Yes - I was 3rd in my Sprint Triathlon I was very happy, because I brought my family to the event and I really wanted my kids to see that. There is no way I will score such place in any other event
I have to admit I was not prepared well enough for the race. For various reasons. Even though I really did my best, so I don't have hard feelings for myself. I just know I can perform much much better with more and consistent training. So I look at this race from evaluation perspective and as a lesson. I was able to identify my weaknesses and now it's time to work on those
2016-05-16 3:03 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Birthday Yanti!!

(Yanti-Bday.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Yanti-Bday.jpg (148KB - 3 downloads)
2016-05-16 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83

Thanks Janyne! Yes - I was 3rd in my Sprint Triathlon I was very happy, because I brought my family to the event and I really wanted my kids to see that. There is no way I will score such place in any other event I have to admit I was not prepared well enough for the race. For various reasons. Even though I really did my best, so I don't have hard feelings for myself. I just know I can perform much much better with more and consistent training. So I look at this race from evaluation perspective and as a lesson. I was able to identify my weaknesses and now it's time to work on those

Congratulations on the podium!! 

2016-05-16 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks Janyne! Yes - I was 3rd in my Sprint Triathlon I was very happy, because I brought my family to the event and I really wanted my kids to see that. There is no way I will score such place in any other event I have to admit I was not prepared well enough for the race. For various reasons. Even though I really did my best, so I don't have hard feelings for myself. I just know I can perform much much better with more and consistent training. So I look at this race from evaluation perspective and as a lesson. I was able to identify my weaknesses and now it's time to work on those

I enjoyed your race report. It made me laugh and I was reading it "hearing" your accent.

2016-05-16 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ah missed the fact that you raced.  Congrats!

2016-05-16 4:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks everyone! Yea, I have to admit it was fun.
I will also post a funny video of my youngest brother cheering at the finish line. I was so happy my family came (both my brothers had a horrible hangover from the night before).

In the other news.... I e-mailed the coach from Northwestern's Masters Swim hoping I can start training with them in June I did not realize Northwestern's employee get 20% discount, so it would be $180 for summer semester. I will be getting refund from school/financial aid, so I don't have to touch my savings
I also remembered that couple of months ago I talked to a girl in the locker room who used to be in swim competition, nationals, etc... (had to quit because of an injury) and she offered to swim with me. At that time I was like ...whatever... but now I thought why not: what I need is somebody who would keep me in the pool for an hour. So that would be a great addition to Masters

Edited by marysia83 2016-05-16 4:29 PM
2016-05-16 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Thanks everyone! Yea, I have to admit it was fun. I will also post a funny video of my youngest brother cheering at the finish line. I was so happy my family came (both my brothers had a horrible hangover from the night before). In the other news.... I e-mailed the coach from Northwestern's Masters Swim hoping I can start training with them in June I did not realize Northwestern's employee get 20% discount, so it would be $180 for summer semester. I will be getting refund from school/financial aid, so I don't have to touch my savings I also remembered that couple of months ago I talked to a girl in the locker room who used to be in swim competition, nationals, etc... (had to quit because of an injury) and she offered to swim with me. At that time I was like ...whatever... but now I thought why not: what I need is somebody who would keep me in the pool for an hour. So that would be a great addition to Masters

Excellent!

2016-05-16 6:05 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Thanks everyone! Yea, I have to admit it was fun. I will also post a funny video of my youngest brother cheering at the finish line. I was so happy my family came (both my brothers had a horrible hangover from the night before). In the other news.... I e-mailed the coach from Northwestern's Masters Swim hoping I can start training with them in June I did not realize Northwestern's employee get 20% discount, so it would be $180 for summer semester. I will be getting refund from school/financial aid, so I don't have to touch my savings I also remembered that couple of months ago I talked to a girl in the locker room who used to be in swim competition, nationals, etc... (had to quit because of an injury) and she offered to swim with me. At that time I was like ...whatever... but now I thought why not: what I need is somebody who would keep me in the pool for an hour. So that would be a great addition to Masters

Excellent!

It is! Looking a little closer again, the cost is a more than I was paying, but the swim time available is twice as much. 6 sessions of 90' each are available. Such a convenient place too. That sounds great!

2016-05-16 9:36 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado

Excellent!

It is! Looking a little closer again, the cost is a more than I was paying, but the swim time available is twice as much. 6 sessions of 90' each are available. Such a convenient place too. That sounds great!

You would not believe what happened!
I was driving out of the parking lot and I saw Master Swim coach walking towards the elevator (the pool/gym building is attached to parking garage). I quickly run to her and told about my e-mail sent few moments earlier. I explained my situation (less than 1k swam, less than an hour available, and all my crazy stuff) and she was so supportive!! And encouraging. She said she prepares individual workouts for slower/less experienced swimmers, and she addresses the goals/issues one wants to work on (speed, endurance, specific stroke, etc). She said it would be fine to stay less than an hour - some people come late, some stay for half time - that's up to me. She encouraged me to come earlier and see how it looks like. I was so excited I started to jump in front of her haha I actually cannot wait I do not know the prices of other places, but this one has sessions every day except Sunday. And again - if I come during my lunch break, I don't have to spend money on babysitter for my kids. So it's a win-win
Thank you all for your support and encouragement As always!
2016-05-16 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Excellent!

You would not believe what happened!
I was driving out of the parking lot and I saw Master Swim coach walking towards the elevator (the pool/gym building is attached to parking garage). I quickly run to her and told about my e-mail sent few moments earlier. I explained my situation (less than 1k swam, less than an hour available, and all my crazy stuff) and she was so supportive!! And encouraging. She said she prepares individual workouts for slower/less experienced swimmers, and she addresses the goals/issues one wants to work on (speed, endurance, specific stroke, etc). She said it would be fine to stay less than an hour - some people come late, some stay for half time - that's up to me. She encouraged me to come earlier and see how it looks like. I was so excited I started to jump in front of her haha I actually cannot wait I do not know the prices of other places, but this one has sessions every day except Sunday. And again - if I come during my lunch break, I don't have to spend money on babysitter for my kids. So it's a win-win
Thank you all for your support and encouragement As always!
That is so cool Mary - Happy swimming
2016-05-17 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Excellent!

You would not believe what happened! I was driving out of the parking lot and I saw Master Swim coach walking towards the elevator (the pool/gym building is attached to parking garage). I quickly run to her and told about my e-mail sent few moments earlier. I explained my situation (less than 1k swam, less than an hour available, and all my crazy stuff) and she was so supportive!! And encouraging. She said she prepares individual workouts for slower/less experienced swimmers, and she addresses the goals/issues one wants to work on (speed, endurance, specific stroke, etc). She said it would be fine to stay less than an hour - some people come late, some stay for half time - that's up to me. She encouraged me to come earlier and see how it looks like. I was so excited I started to jump in front of her haha I actually cannot wait I do not know the prices of other places, but this one has sessions every day except Sunday. And again - if I come during my lunch break, I don't have to spend money on babysitter for my kids. So it's a win-win Thank you all for your support and encouragement As always!

This is so great! 

And honestly, it doesn't matter what the other places charge because this one works with your schedule.  You can't put a price on that!  You'll enjoy it more and use it more because it is convenient.

2016-05-17 8:07 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Congrats on the triathlon and the good masters news! You are on fire!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.