BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-18 12:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by amd723

We had lots of storms come through last night. Unfortunately, an oak tree decided to lose one of its big limbs right on top of my fence, front edge of roof and on top of my car!!  It is a big mess. Spending this morning contacting car insurance, HO insurance and tree people

Oh gosh... I'm so sorry... That's really bad.... I hope it won't be too painful and won't take too much time. And $$. And frustration :/

2016-05-18 12:20 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Janyne can be in charge of the KoolAid, but I am in charge of the chocolate.

I like that plan
2016-05-18 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

We had lots of storms come through last night. Unfortunately, an oak tree decided to lose one of its big limbs right on top of my fence, front edge of roof and on top of my car!!  It is a big mess. Spending this morning contacting car insurance, HO insurance and tree people

The first time I read this it was from a post where it was quoted and I read "face" rather than fence, so I'm glad it's just property damage

Sux to deal with though. Bummer

2016-05-18 12:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by tomsimper I just wanted to say that I felt a little bit like a "hard core" runner today because it was dark and raining and I went for a run outside anyway This is something that I never ever thought that I would do, its funny how things change. The other day I got a text from K saying "I only had to do 3k this morning it hardly felt worth getting up for." This from the girl that 6 months ago bitched and moaned about how hard it was to run for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes. ----- Stacey Awesome!

Awesome!  One of my favorite expressions from some of my special operations friends is, "I love the way this sucks!" 

It's one that I often repeat to myself - and it makes looking back on some experiences that could be considered grim a MUCH more enjoyable experience. 

Hard core can be fun!  Congrats. 

Matt

That's awesome! I'm going to remember that phrase!!!!!!!!

2016-05-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by tomsimper I just wanted to say that I felt a little bit like a "hard core" runner today because it was dark and raining and I went for a run outside anyway This is something that I never ever thought that I would do, its funny how things change. The other day I got a text from K saying "I only had to do 3k this morning it hardly felt worth getting up for." This from the girl that 6 months ago bitched and moaned about how hard it was to run for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes. ----- Stacey Awesome!

Awesome!  One of my favorite expressions from some of my special operations friends is, "I love the way this sucks!" 

It's one that I often repeat to myself - and it makes looking back on some experiences that could be considered grim a MUCH more enjoyable experience. 

Matt

THANK YOU for highlighting this TJ, as I have no idea how to make bold (and was going to mention the same thing - I love that phrase haha)
2016-05-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by melbo55

Who here is participating in the Save the Manatees 5k virtual race this weekend?

Manatee Melbo, in!

Manatee Robin, in!

Great!  That makes at least three of us!

For some crazy reason, last night I was dreaming about the virtual race and the manatee group.  Janyne was there for sure, and I remember Ann-Marie making some sort of map with red strings connecting the manatees who are doing the race by state or town so we could see who was doing the race and how far away they were (or some reason, I'm not 100% sure).  I know other manatees were there, too, but the dream is a little fuzzy.  I mainly remember the crazy string map!  Weird.

hahaha, that's funny!! I am developing my photo editing skills, so that map thong isn't totally out of the question, although it would be computer generated string

Edited by amd723 2016-05-18 1:05 PM

2016-05-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh no!  I'm glad that you are OK but really sorry about the other damage.  Did Gunnar do OK?

he was outside when the tree came down. He then came inside before I could get out and looked at me with an expression that I interpreted as, " you're notgoing to believe what just happened.  I didn't do it". 

2016-05-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Oh no!  I'm glad that you are OK but really sorry about the other damage.  Did Gunnar do OK?

Ouch, I hope you and Gunnar are both ok. Things can be replaced, although the process is never fun  Pets and people is a whole different issue. Our second dog, Gil, used to cower in the walk-in closet during storms. It was the only room in the house without windows, so the effect of lightning and thunder was reduced, I guess. 

yes, it could have been a lot worse. Dealing with 2 insurance companies, a tree company and roofers is a PITA, but it will pass!

2016-05-18 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

PSA - don't go onto Strava and look at the Fitness & Freshness curve until you are at least 3 months back into training.  And definitely do not select "All Time" as the interval period.

Matt

(good thing I really like spending time in my garage!)

2016-05-18 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

he was outside when the tree came down. He then came inside before I could get out and looked at me with an expression that I interpreted as, " you're notgoing to believe what just happened.  I didn't do it". 

Cracks me up when they get that guilty look for something totally unrelated to their behavior.

2016-05-18 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Ouch, I hope you and Gunnar are both ok. Things can be replaced, although the process is never fun  Pets and people is a whole different issue. Our second dog, Gil, used to cower in the walk-in closet during storms. It was the only room in the house without windows, so the effect of lightning and thunder was reduced, I guess. 

yes, it could have been a lot worse. Dealing with 2 insurance companies, a tree company and roofers is a PITA, but it will pass!

You are so right that it could have been worse.  There were several fatalities earlier this Spring in the region from storms and falling trees.  Glad to hear you and your family are OK.

We get a lot of very windy, stormy weather here (usually in the late Fall) and on those days I stay off the trails.  It is scary to see the huge limbs and trunks laying on the trails after the storms.

2016-05-18 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by popsracer

You are so right that it could have been worse.  There were several fatalities earlier this Spring in the region from storms and falling trees.  Glad to hear you and your family are OK.

We get a lot of very windy, stormy weather here (usually in the late Fall) and on those days I stay off the trails.  It is scary to see the huge limbs and trunks laying on the trails after the storms.

it is scary. i live in a neighborhood with lots of big, old oak trees, some of them are laurel oaks which have life spans shorter than live oaks and have a habit of falling down! No one is supposed to plant laurel oaks any more b/c of that.    Another family had one come through their roof into their LR last night, so I can't complain too much. i sent my tree guy to my next door neighbor because one of her trees looks bad too and it will fall on my house. Thankfully, she agreed to have it taken down tomorrow when mine gets cleaned up.

Edited by amd723 2016-05-18 1:34 PM
2016-05-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83

Matt

THANK YOU for highlighting this TJ, as I have no idea how to make bold (and was going to mention the same thing - I love that phrase haha)

Try this:

Highlight the words with the cursor that you want bold,

Press ctrl+b

tada!!!!!!

(ctrl+I gives you italic)

2016-05-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

Matt

Try this:

Highlight the words with the cursor that you want bold,

Press ctrl+b

tada!!!!!!

(ctrl+I gives you italic)

Oh... just like the normal way... I though there was some fancy html code you had to enter....
Gracie!!
2016-05-18 3:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Great news that Gunnar is OK (and you, naturally) and not traumatized or scared, just scared of getting in trouble for knocking the tree over!

2016-05-18 8:49 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Ann-Marie, sorry to hear about your tree damage.  Glad that you and Gunnar are okay--I know the face you mean .

Chris, I keep meaning to ask about the 'pie' on your Strava posts.  Is it a park?  Is the circumference of each piece about 6km? 

2016-05-19 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

Ann-Marie, sorry to hear about your tree damage.  Glad that you and Gunnar are okay--I know the face you mean .

Chris, I keep meaning to ask about the 'pie' on your Strava posts.  Is it a park?  Is the circumference of each piece about 6km? 

The pie is a neighborhood named Rotonda West. Built in the 70's, it is one of the original "master-planned" communities and never truly lived up to the original idea, although it has some great amenities. The "Pac-man" loop route that I used for 100 Miles of Nowhere last year is 10+ miles. Each spoke is about 1.1 miles (a pie slice is 2.2ish), give or take. Rotonda was never completed, due to $$$ and is missing one of the "pie pieces" and is not a full circle, thus the pac-man appearance on Strava.

In other interesting Rotonda West/Manatee trivia, at least 2 (and a third was within a mile or 2 of it during a race) other manatees have been there, or very close to there. Care to guess who those may be? I may have a prize for the winner!

Edited by cdban66 2016-05-19 6:47 AM

(100MoN.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
100MoN.jpg (76KB - 4 downloads)
2016-05-19 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Goodness, that looks about as tedious as where I ride outside here (on the rare occasions that I do so). Mine is a 4-mile loop around an industrial park. Light industry (mostly garment assembly and the like) and some landscaping so it's not quite as horrible as it sounds, but it's definitely not thrill a minute! That's pretty much the ONLY place I ride outside here, except for the occasional MTB joyride through surrounding villages. Really, really looking forward to getting home to Oregon and getting in some training in enjoyable surroundings that doesn't require flirting with heat exhaustion! Plus maybe, once in a while, getting in a ride with other people.
2016-05-19 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

The pie is a neighborhood named Rotonda West. Built in the 70's, it is one of the original "master-planned" communities and never truly lived up to the original idea, although it has some great amenities. The "Pac-man" loop route that I used for 100 Miles of Nowhere last year is 10+ miles. Each spoke is about 1.1 miles (a pie slice is 2.2ish), give or take. Rotonda was never completed, due to $$$ and is missing one of the "pie pieces" and is not a full circle, thus the pac-man appearance on Strava.

In other interesting Rotonda West/Manatee trivia, at least 2 (and a third was within a mile or 2 of it during a race) other manatees have been there, or very close to there. Care to guess who those may be? I may have a prize for the winner!

Hah.. Of course south west Fla is a place for gathering Manatees. I was there when it was built. It is the first place I was ever on a motorcycle. Going up and down one piece of the pie like I was in Easy Rider.

2016-05-19 7:06 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hah.. Of course south west Fla is a place for gathering Manatees. I was there when it was built. It is the first place I was ever on a motorcycle. Going up and down one piece of the pie like I was in Easy Rider.

Oh crap, that's right!!! I have to amend my challenge to say that there are at least 3 (myself not included) other Manatees that have been there, with a 4th racing nearby. I am ashamed of myself, I've had a number of convo's with Robin about her past and my current hometown of Englewood.

2016-05-19 7:14 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Goodness, that looks about as tedious as where I ride outside here (on the rare occasions that I do so). Mine is a 4-mile loop around an industrial park. Light industry (mostly garment assembly and the like) and some landscaping so it's not quite as horrible as it sounds, but it's definitely not thrill a minute! That's pretty much the ONLY place I ride outside here, except for the occasional MTB joyride through surrounding villages. Really, really looking forward to getting home to Oregon and getting in some training in enjoyable surroundings that doesn't require flirting with heat exhaustion! Plus maybe, once in a while, getting in a ride with other people.

Tedious seems to be one of the goals of 100MoN. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest something like this. It gave me pause and really made me think. Not just this ride, but any chance to give to others is a good thing.

2016-05-19 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh crap, that's right!!! I have to amend my challenge to say that there are at least 3 (myself not included) other Manatees that have been there, with a 4th racing nearby. I am ashamed of myself, I've had a number of convo's with Robin about her past and my current hometown of Englewood.

Can I guess?
2016-05-19 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Can I guess?

Guess them all!

2016-05-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Master
Okay I'll play. I guess Robin, Ann-Marie, TJ and Janyne. But I dunno which have been and which was only close.
2016-05-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx Okay I'll play. I guess Robin, Ann-Marie, TJ and Janyne. But I dunno which have been and which was only close.

3 outta 4! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.