BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-14 4:13 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by popsracer

On a related bike gear question, I've used a Cat-eye double wireless for years and it is approaching the end of its life.  Buttons stick, auto pause doesn't work anymore, etc.

I do not link to anything so just need good basics like speed, distance, cadence.  Don't do power but would like something compatible for the future maybe.

It has been forever since I've looked at what is available and am a little overwhelmed with the options.  What do you think of about a Garmin 500?  I found a bundle which includes speed/cadence sensor and heartrate for $199.

Also, can this be easily swapped between by bikes?

that sounds like a great deal! I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping. I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!

Looks like Mary found a 500 in the classifieds. Timely!

Timely indeed.  I was just talking with Alex about getting a better computer last night and stumbled across it this morning.  Doesn't have a HRM but that's okay; I already have one.  Guess I'll need to get a speed/cadence sensor.  Given the price I got it for, I'm happy to shell out for that.  Now I'm just hoping that he doesn't give it to the local guy who contacted him after I did...

Yeah I wondered about that as well.

So I was just playing with map my run and realized that the long santa fe run that I thought would get me about 10 miles downhill is only about 6 miles. Not as helpful for marathon training.

2015-01-14 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by glfprncs Nothing like breaking up a fight between 2 male students to get your heartrate maxed out. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Oh wow. Yeah, no kidding! Are you a teacher? Administrator? We have a few teachers in the Manatee Alum

Edited by rrrunner 2015-01-14 4:21 PM
2015-01-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by popsracer

On a related bike gear question, I've used a Cat-eye double wireless for years and it is approaching the end of its life.  Buttons stick, auto pause doesn't work anymore, etc.

I do not link to anything so just need good basics like speed, distance, cadence.  Don't do power but would like something compatible for the future maybe.

It has been forever since I've looked at what is available and am a little overwhelmed with the options.  What do you think of about a Garmin 500?  I found a bundle which includes speed/cadence sensor and heartrate for $199.

Also, can this be easily swapped between by bikes?

that sounds like a great deal! I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping. I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!

Looks like Mary found a 500 in the classifieds. Timely!

Timely indeed.  I was just talking with Alex about getting a better computer last night and stumbled across it this morning.  Doesn't have a HRM but that's okay; I already have one.  Guess I'll need to get a speed/cadence sensor.  Given the price I got it for, I'm happy to shell out for that.  Now I'm just hoping that he doesn't give it to the local guy who contacted him after I did...

Yeah I wondered about that as well.

So I was just playing with map my run and realized that the long santa fe run that I thought would get me about 10 miles downhill is only about 6 miles. Not as helpful for marathon training.

Especially since I can't send him payment until tonight (or rather, won't).  I try to avoid financial transactions on my work computer.  Somehow being on BT is fine in my mind though.

You could have DH or a DS meet you at the bottom of the santa fe hill and drive you back up to the top (in a chipper helpful voice).

2015-01-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Nothing like breaking up a fight between 2 male students to get your heartrate maxed out. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Log it as some sort of workout!   Ah, testosterone...

2015-01-14 5:10 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
TJ...I'm an 8th grade teacher.
2015-01-14 5:11 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Who is going to do TR's Sufferlandria 2015? It looks like fun but I don't want to blow myself up by doing that and doing Cycle Club at our local YMCA. I like the idea of watching some of the videos but that adds extra expense. Has anyone done past years? What did you think?

I've also thought about doing this...frankly I'm scared. 

It's definitely not in the training plan as I'm in late base phase, but it sure would be a nice kick in the pants training stress-wise.  I don't have any of the videos in the Tour (I only have Hell Hath No Fury), so the cost is an issue too.

If you have an Android tablet or Ipad you could get the App for $10 a month (just unsubscribe after this month) to get access to all the videos except Elements of Style and Nine Hammers.

If you don't have Elements of style, then I would recommend it.  It's a good video for practicing technique with just enough intensity to make you feel like you did something.

I didn't know about the app, thanks. I have 10 of the videos anyway, so perhaps not really useful for me, but good to know if I want to try a new video before buying it.

Trainer Road has all the workouts in their program also, for those of you who didn't know. You could go down the route of taking out a trainer road membership for a monthfor $10 to do the tour and you can cancel afterwards if you wish. If you make the $10 donation to the David Phinney Foundation through the Trainerroad sufferfest page you also get entered into the trainer road prize draw pool.

I was thinking about doing the one Month and done thing but then I looked at my computer and found another problem...I don't have Ant+ I have a Cateye Digital wireless that gives me cadence and other data to include HR. I was thinking of a HR monitor so here is the question. If I get a Ant+ compatable HR monitor such as the Cateye HR-11 will it be able to play nice with my RD420DW computer so I can see HR on my computer AND will it transmit my data to Trainerroad? If that is possible this might be affordable for me.

2015-01-14 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by glfprncs

Use a spray bottle. It works great. Another option is a C02 fire extinguisher
2015-01-14 5:43 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Seattle

Did you all see the completion of the Dawn Wall? Woooweee! 

19 days of free climbing...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/01/14/sports/the-dawn-wall-up-close.html

2015-01-14 5:46 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jobaxas

it's raining!

Rain - what is this thing you speak of? It hasn't rained here since November and isn't likely to before the end of February.
2015-01-14 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by glfprncsTJ...I'm an 8th grade teacher.
Hehe...been there. Girl fights were always worse. Lol
2015-01-14 7:28 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Chatham Ontario
Well I owe my significant other tonight. Hard day with the kids. Step son had a rough day at school. Not behaving very well. He is 4.5 and still struggling with full days. Dealing with him as soon as I got home and trying to get house in order as she was at a funeral. And then has indoor volleyball tonight for her night to get away and have me time.

She forced me to drop everything and go hammer out 30 mins on treadmill before she left and she even left 15 mins late so I could run.

Just wanted to brag a little how awesome she is. I never had this much of a team mate/ partner in my ex wife.

this whole do something every day is catching up to me. literally 15 days of hard at it and I think I am already in better shape than I was in 2014 and def worked out more days in a row than I did last year.

WOOOOHOOO thank you for helping keep me accountable. I owe it to everyone here as well.

2015-01-14 9:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Did you all see the completion of the Dawn Wall? Woooweee! 

19 days of free climbing...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/01/14/sports/the-dawn-wall-up-close.html

Incredible!
2015-01-14 9:04 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by TechdiverWell I owe my significant other tonight. Hard day with the kids. Step son had a rough day at school. Not behaving very well. He is 4.5 and still struggling with full days. Dealing with him as soon as I got home and trying to get house in order as she was at a funeral. And then has indoor volleyball tonight for her night to get away and have me time.She forced me to drop everything and go hammer out 30 mins on treadmill before she left and she even left 15 mins late so I could run. Just wanted to brag a little how awesome she is. I never had this much of a team mate/ partner in my ex wife.this whole do something every day is catching up to me. literally 15 days of hard at it and I think I am already in better shape than I was in 2014 and def worked out more days in a row than I did last year.WOOOOHOOO thank you for helping keep me accountable. I owe it to everyone here as well.
Salute to Mrs. Spanky and all the supportive SO's out there. I am also blessed with a super-spouse
2015-01-14 9:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

Hi fellow zoo keeper - I mean middle school teacher! I teach 6-8.

What is in the water/air today? I had to break up a fight between to boys as well! These guys were little 6th graders so I could actually see over their heads so it wasn't so bad. It's funny at our school - if boys are fighting the female teachers step in to break it up as they always stop for us just telling them to. Girl fights though, I will never break up a girl fight again. You literally have to pick them up off each other.

2015-01-14 10:08 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

While we are on the shoes topic:

Hokas - I HATED the Cliftons. And I have never said I hated a shoe before. They felt really clunky on the track on the turns. Then again, I am sure they will have a better racing flat type shoe for the public soon. I have seen Leo Manzano and David Torrence sporting them for track racing because obviously their other product offerings aren't going to cut it for that type of racing. I was surprised they weren't more comfortable with all that cushioning, too.

But the biggest takeaway about shoes is that they are extremely personal. You pick what is comfortable and go with it and it's not much more complicated than that.

On another note, I found some trail shoes. I poured over consumer and professional reviews and went with the Brooks Cascadia. Partially because they are well reviewed for what I am looking for and also because I am familiar with the fit and comfort of Brooks. I really enjoy them. I am also currently product testing the New Balance Leadville 1210v2. I enjoy them as well. One thing I notice about both, and this may be a trail shoe thing, but the heel cup tends to be a little wider. I have narrow feet so it's really noticeable. I will likely just wear taller socks (I wear no socks, or no-show typically) to avoid heel chafe. 

As another example of the personal fit, I've looked at the various shoes mentioned here and think they'd be a poor fit for me. The Cascadia (for example) has way too much ramp, and much too little on the toe room.

2015-01-14 10:12 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jobaxas Good morning Manatees. Its nice to be back - finding if i dip in here each day it's not overwhelming to get through the posts! had a nice run yesterday - just 4km through the park near my office. My pace is pretty slow and i can't fit 5km in a lunch break just yet. Working on it. Supposed to swim last night but it was 14C and windy and raining - i'm not training for a race right now don't need that! Today is a rest day - unscheduled just decided when I woke up how tired i am and it's raining! Love to you all.

Hiya, Jo, congrats on the run!  How is the tick bite healing?

turned out we didn't have a tick bite but me and Artemis both had Ringworm and our lovely pharmacist in Phuket called it Lingworm which was what we then named the hotel cat....

2015-01-14 11:02 PM

User image

Master

Hokas - I HATED the Cliftons. And I have never said I hated a shoe before. They felt really clunky on the track on the turns. Then again, I am sure they will have a better racing flat type shoe for the public soon. I have seen Leo Manzano and David Torrence sporting them for track racing because obviously their other product offerings aren't going to cut it for that type of racing. I was surprised they weren't more comfortable with all that cushioning, too.

But the biggest takeaway about shoes is that they are extremely personal. You pick what is comfortable and go with it and it's not much more complicated than that.

On another note, I found some trail shoes. I poured over consumer and professional reviews and went with the Brooks Cascadia. Partially because they are well reviewed for what I am looking for and also because I am familiar with the fit and comfort of Brooks. I really enjoy them. I am also currently product testing the New Balance Leadville 1210v2. I enjoy them as well. One thing I notice about both, and this may be a trail shoe thing, but the heel cup tends to be a little wider. I have narrow feet so it's really noticeable. I will likely just wear taller socks (I wear no socks, or no-show typically) to avoid heel chafe. 

He sure didn't sign for the "now".

The buzz about Hoka at trade shows last winter was all about lighter training shoes, racing flats and even track spikes. The company says Manzano will play a key role in the development of those shoes.
Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/news/manzano-latest-track-star-sign-hoka_99208#IpyLZSjRgXUdKOZP.99 

Oh, and thought of your trail shoe question on our run this weekend. Wondered if you'd checked out the Cascadias. I like them for our rocky terrain, but wasn't sure about your mud/snow/ice. 

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-01-14 11:44 PM
2015-01-14 11:10 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master

Originally posted by jobaxas
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jobaxas Good morning Manatees. Its nice to be back - finding if i dip in here each day it's not overwhelming to get through the posts! had a nice run yesterday - just 4km through the park near my office. My pace is pretty slow and i can't fit 5km in a lunch break just yet. Working on it. Supposed to swim last night but it was 14C and windy and raining - i'm not training for a race right now don't need that! Today is a rest day - unscheduled just decided when I woke up how tired i am and it's raining! Love to you all.

Hiya, Jo, congrats on the run!  How is the tick bite healing?

turned out we didn't have a tick bite but me and Artemis both had Ringworm and our lovely pharmacist in Phuket called it Lingworm which was what we then named the hotel cat....

I just laughed. Maybe I shouldn't have...but I did. Hope the lingworm treatment works quickly!

2015-01-14 11:26 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

So I thought I'd get back to my weekly yoga class now that my toe and wrist are good. Mak has gotten used to hanging out at home in the morning since J is here, so was pulling/pushing her into the truck. Got to gym 4min late...class full. Luckily, I had my suit with me "just in case" and the snowbirds were finishing up their water aerobics. Only thing is that a whole group of them stayed in the pool to swim/walk laps. Sigh. I spent time on a mat doing core and stretching for 25min. At least Plan C worked out

2015-01-14 11:59 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jobaxas it's raining!
Rain - what is this thing you speak of? It hasn't rained here since November and isn't likely to before the end of February.

We had fog. Like thick, can't see past 40ft, if a car doesn't have it's lights on it's toast kind of fog. My kids were confused and curious. I felt like I was back in California.

2015-01-15 12:13 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

As another example of the personal fit, I've looked at the various shoes mentioned here and think they'd be a poor fit for me. The Cascadia (for example) has way too much ramp, and much too little on the toe room.

And we are so fortunate now that there are so many options.  Seems like the trick is just finding that perfect shoe.  It is probably out there for just about everyone.

Adrienne, I got a chuckle about you hating the Clifton's.  You are still such a strong, young pup.  Wait until you've pounded the pavement for thirty years and it hurts just to get out of bed in the morning.  Maybe then you would love these.

On another note, I had a great training day.  Got in a good swim during lunch and then had a great tempo run in the evening.  My goal was to run first mile a minute slower than 5k pace, second mile at 30 seconds slower, and last mile as close to race pace as I could muster.  I wanted to focus on negative splitting and finishing last mile strong since I tend to go out too fast and fade.  This was to be 8:00, 7:30, 7:00.  Actually ran 7:51, 7:21, and finished with a 6:41.

I was going to run a 25k trail race this weekend but it sold out before I could make up my mind about it.  There is a local 5k that I'm doing instead that I've done 4 or 5 times and I've never done well on this course.  Lots of high hopes, nothing but shattered dreams.  Maybe this year will be different.

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-15 12:31 AM

2015-01-15 12:15 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by glfprncs TJ...I'm an 8th grade teacher.
Hi fellow zoo keeper - I mean middle school teacher! I teach 6-8. What is in the water/air today? I had to break up a fight between to boys as well! These guys were little 6th graders so I could actually see over their heads so it wasn't so bad. It's funny at our school - if boys are fighting the female teachers step in to break it up as they always stop for us just telling them to. Girl fights though, I will never break up a girl fight again. You literally have to pick them up off each other.

My last 4 years were in 8th grade. Admin told us not to get in the middle of fights. Just make sure no one else joined and get the SRO immediately (duh). Of course there were all the kids who didn't fight, didn't like fights, and just rolled their eyes with a "There they go again" attitude. Gotta love teenagers

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-01-15 12:18 AM
2015-01-15 12:23 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Techdiver Well I owe my significant other tonight. Hard day with the kids. Step son had a rough day at school. Not behaving very well. He is 4.5 and still struggling with full days. Dealing with him as soon as I got home and trying to get house in order as she was at a funeral. And then has indoor volleyball tonight for her night to get away and have me time. She forced me to drop everything and go hammer out 30 mins on treadmill before she left and she even left 15 mins late so I could run. Just wanted to brag a little how awesome she is. I never had this much of a team mate/ partner in my ex wife. this whole do something every day is catching up to me. literally 15 days of hard at it and I think I am already in better shape than I was in 2014 and def worked out more days in a row than I did last year. WOOOOHOOO thank you for helping keep me accountable. I owe it to everyone here as well.

Definitely sounds like you have an awesome SO.  It makes all the difference in the world to this lifestyle.

2015-01-15 2:50 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Bad day at work today Manatees and I really want to hit something (or someone). I really hope that you all have a far better Thursday than I did and that the weather isn't too bad for you.

I'm heading home to see what my dogs have destroyed today. Planning on getting a 30 minute run in but its gonna have to be on the treadmill unfortunately.
2015-01-15 5:34 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by tcarlson78

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Who is going to do TR's Sufferlandria 2015? It looks like fun but I don't want to blow myself up by doing that and doing Cycle Club at our local YMCA. I like the idea of watching some of the videos but that adds extra expense. Has anyone done past years? What did you think?

I've also thought about doing this...frankly I'm scared. 

It's definitely not in the training plan as I'm in late base phase, but it sure would be a nice kick in the pants training stress-wise.  I don't have any of the videos in the Tour (I only have Hell Hath No Fury), so the cost is an issue too.

If you have an Android tablet or Ipad you could get the App for $10 a month (just unsubscribe after this month) to get access to all the videos except Elements of Style and Nine Hammers.

If you don't have Elements of style, then I would recommend it.  It's a good video for practicing technique with just enough intensity to make you feel like you did something.

I didn't know about the app, thanks. I have 10 of the videos anyway, so perhaps not really useful for me, but good to know if I want to try a new video before buying it.

Trainer Road has all the workouts in their program also, for those of you who didn't know. You could go down the route of taking out a trainer road membership for a monthfor $10 to do the tour and you can cancel afterwards if you wish. If you make the $10 donation to the David Phinney Foundation through the Trainerroad sufferfest page you also get entered into the trainer road prize draw pool.

I was thinking about doing the one Month and done thing but then I looked at my computer and found another problem...I don't have Ant+ I have a Cateye Digital wireless that gives me cadence and other data to include HR. I was thinking of a HR monitor so here is the question. If I get a Ant+ compatable HR monitor such as the Cateye HR-11 will it be able to play nice with my RD420DW computer so I can see HR on my computer AND will it transmit my data to Trainerroad? If that is possible this might be affordable for me.

By the looks of it, you're out of luck.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/17942/compatible-heart-...

Tha bare minimum you would need for Trainer road is an ant+ usb dongle, an ant+ speed sensor and a compatible trainer. You could still do the sufferfest videos on perceived effort.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55433 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.