BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-15 6:59 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by popsracer

On another note, I had a great training day.  Got in a good swim during lunch and then had a great tempo run in the evening.  My goal was to run first mile a minute slower than 5k pace, second mile at 30 seconds slower, and last mile as close to race pace as I could muster.  I wanted to focus on negative splitting and finishing last mile strong since I tend to go out too fast and fade.  This was to be 8:00, 7:30, 7:00.  Actually ran 7:51, 7:21, and finished with a 6:41.

I was going to run a 25k trail race this weekend but it sold out before I could make up my mind about it.  There is a local 5k that I'm doing instead that I've done 4 or 5 times and I've never done well on this course.  Lots of high hopes, nothing but shattered dreams.  Maybe this year will be different.

Awesome training day indeed!!! It is really nice to see things coming together. I predict that this year will be different for you!

2015-01-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

Bad day at work today Manatees and I really want to hit something (or someone). I really hope that you all have a far better Thursday than I did and that the weather isn't too bad for you.

I'm heading home to see what my dogs have destroyed today. Planning on getting a 30 minute run in but its gonna have to be on the treadmill unfortunately.

Sorry to hear! Hope today is better!
2015-01-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by cdban66

On another note, I had a great training day.  Got in a good swim during lunch and then had a great tempo run in the evening.  My goal was to run first mile a minute slower than 5k pace, second mile at 30 seconds slower, and last mile as close to race pace as I could muster.  I wanted to focus on negative splitting and finishing last mile strong since I tend to go out too fast and fade.  This was to be 8:00, 7:30, 7:00.  Actually ran 7:51, 7:21, and finished with a 6:41.

I was going to run a 25k trail race this weekend but it sold out before I could make up my mind about it.  There is a local 5k that I'm doing instead that I've done 4 or 5 times and I've never done well on this course.  Lots of high hopes, nothing but shattered dreams.  Maybe this year will be different.

Awesome training day indeed!!! It is really nice to see things coming together. I predict that this year will be different for you!

Agreed!! Way to go pops!
2015-01-15 8:24 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
This morning was my hard workout for the week (week 15 on 20 week HIM RPE plan).

Run:
wu: 20 minutes
main: 7x(3t,2r)
cd: 20 minutes

Once again set a couple of personal records for longest time and distance of run. 1:17 & 8.5 miles. Actually felt like a runner this morning! I can tell my fitness is way better than it used to be because I'm able to recover pretty fast at this point. Hope everyone has a great day!

2015-01-15 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jobaxas it's raining!
Rain - what is this thing you speak of? It hasn't rained here since November and isn't likely to before the end of February.

I'm starting to forget what the sun looks like!  ARG!

2015-01-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Techdiver Well I owe my significant other tonight. Hard day with the kids. Step son had a rough day at school. Not behaving very well. He is 4.5 and still struggling with full days. Dealing with him as soon as I got home and trying to get house in order as she was at a funeral. And then has indoor volleyball tonight for her night to get away and have me time. She forced me to drop everything and go hammer out 30 mins on treadmill before she left and she even left 15 mins late so I could run. Just wanted to brag a little how awesome she is. I never had this much of a team mate/ partner in my ex wife. this whole do something every day is catching up to me. literally 15 days of hard at it and I think I am already in better shape than I was in 2014 and def worked out more days in a row than I did last year. WOOOOHOOO thank you for helping keep me accountable. I owe it to everyone here as well.

It is so awesome to have support on the home front!

2015-01-15 8:46 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Bad day at work today Manatees and I really want to hit something (or someone). I really hope that you all have a far better Thursday than I did and that the weather isn't too bad for you. I'm heading home to see what my dogs have destroyed today. Planning on getting a 30 minute run in but its gonna have to be on the treadmill unfortunately.

Well, since they already took care of the couch, they have less options, right?  I'm trying to be optimistic for you.  As for wanting to hit something or someone, punching bags work nicely.

2015-01-15 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Bad day at work today Manatees and I really want to hit something (or someone). I really hope that you all have a far better Thursday than I did and that the weather isn't too bad for you. I'm heading home to see what my dogs have destroyed today. Planning on getting a 30 minute run in but its gonna have to be on the treadmill unfortunately.

A lot of days Kevin comes home and says, "I didn't kill Abhishek today.  I wanted to but I didn't."

I hope that the dogs helped to relieve your work stress. 

How is Phil doing in Indianapolis? 

2015-01-15 8:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

It's fun to read success stories!  BIG congrats to Spanky, Sean and Steve, now enjoy that good feeling and keep up the good work!

2015-01-15 9:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Well, since they already took care of the couch, they have less options, right?  I'm trying to be optimistic for you.  As for wanting to hit something or someone, punching bags work nicely.

Or you could pound on the chewed-up couch cushions.  A tennis racket on a pillow also works wonders.  Just warn the rest of the family; they might get a little freaked out by all the "racket."

Hope today's a better day!

2015-01-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

A lot of days Kevin comes home and says, "I didn't kill Abhishek today.  I wanted to but I didn't."

Between the passengers and his manager DH has some frustrating days. I respect his ability to control his tongue and tell him so. I couldn't do it.

So the gym posted on FB this morning that prices are going up $5 in February. Included in this notice is a statement that they are the best in town. Welllll, they are the best if you happen to live close to one of the two locations that are updated. Mine.... notsomuch.  So now it's time to reconsider my gym options. For as often as I use it I'm not digging the new $40 price tag. Planet Fitness is further away but I like the $10/month for the times that I need a DM (they do have DM's right?). Orrrr there is a nice facility in Santa Fe that  has a pool (50 meter on T/TH) DM and an indoor track. But Santa Fe is not convenient on non-work days. Orrrrr, there is another local gym chain that is $45, again further away than mine but much much nicer facility. Hmmmmmmm  decisions decisions. As Darren said, first world problems.

Aaaaand it looks like another kitteh has adopted Her Yantiness.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-01-15 9:36 AM

2015-01-15 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jobaxas it's raining!
Rain - what is this thing you speak of? It hasn't rained here since November and isn't likely to before the end of February.

I'm starting to forget what the sun looks like!  ARG!

It's rained here every two to three days for the past month, which sucks because I can't ride my MTB due to wet trails.

2015-01-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

Yay for supportive SO's!  Mine is great too.  He's a retired triathlete--he quit because he hates to swim--as well as a former rowing coach so he totally gets the need for workouts and consistency.  He's also a great resource for answering questions.  That being said, he doesn't nag, which I hugely appreciate but also sometimes need.  On top of all that, he's a super-sherpa and he cooks, cleans, grocery shops, and does his own laundry.  How did I get so lucky?!

Great job on your workouts everybody!!  Last week was pathetic for me but I'm back at it this week.  Didn't do my assigned workout last night but PT exercises got done so at least I did something. 

2015-01-15 10:13 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

Between the passengers and his manager DH has some frustrating days. I respect his ability to control his tongue and tell him so. I couldn't do it.

So the gym posted on FB this morning that prices are going up $5 in February. Included in this notice is a statement that they are the best in town. Welllll, they are the best if you happen to live close to one of the two locations that are updated. Mine.... notsomuch.  So now it's time to reconsider my gym options. For as often as I use it I'm not digging the new $40 price tag. Planet Fitness is further away but I like the $10/month for the times that I need a DM (they do have DM's right?). Orrrr there is a nice facility in Santa Fe that  has a pool (50 meter on T/TH) DM and an indoor track. But Santa Fe is not convenient on non-work days. Orrrrr, there is another local gym chain that is $45, again further away than mine but much much nicer facility. Hmmmmmmm  decisions decisions. As Darren said, first world problems.

How come your agency doesn't have a gym for you in-house????  I haven't paid for a gym membership in 12 years!!  BTW, just had my 12 year work anniversary.  I never thought I'd be here this long 

2015-01-15 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

How come your agency doesn't have a gym for you in-house????  I haven't paid for a gym membership in 12 years!!  BTW, just had my 12 year work anniversary.  I never thought I'd be here this long 

Yeah right. Welcome to the fed. Unless you are FBI or Secret Service a gym ain't happenin'

Why oh why won't gym's just give me a price on the net. They want you to come in for the hard sell

Edited by rrrunner 2015-01-15 10:44 AM
2015-01-15 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jet Black This morning was my hard workout for the week (week 15 on 20 week HIM RPE plan). Run: wu: 20 minutes main: 7x(3t,2r) cd: 20 minutes Once again set a couple of personal records for longest time and distance of run. 1:17 & 8.5 miles. Actually felt like a runner this morning! I can tell my fitness is way better than it used to be because I'm able to recover pretty fast at this point. Hope everyone has a great day!

That looks like a solid run.  Good job showing variance in your efforts. 

2015-01-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

A cool camera video of the race I'll do in March was posted.  Shows the quality of roads that I'll be riding on.  It's gonna be epic!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=818880664835759

2015-01-15 10:49 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Oh goodness.  Double trouble.  Wait, she has Bobtart and another one whose name I don't remember.  Pretty soon she's going to have a cat farm in addition to the shrimp farm!

Edited by laffinrock 2015-01-15 10:49 AM
2015-01-15 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by msteiner

A cool camera video of the race I'll do in March was posted.  Shows the quality of roads that I'll be riding on.  It's gonna be epic!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=818880664835759

Looks.... bumpy

2015-01-15 10:53 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Oh goodness.  Double trouble.  Wait, she has Bobtart and another one whose name I don't remember.  Pretty soon she's going to have a cat farm in addition to the shrimp farm!

She's the cat lady

2015-01-15 10:54 AM

User image

Seattle

Slowly, slowly, slowly adding some actual quality workouts in after lots of easy running. I have a 17 mile trail race this weekend so I just did 2/3 of the workout. Also trying to be mindful about not adding too many things at once. 

The workout was:

WU

400 meters at 82 second, jog then 2 x 1.5 miles at 6:30 pace 

CD

It felt nice and relaxed, enough that us ladies had some real talk during the workout LOL 

I've been making strength an emphasis for the next six months. Strength in running (hills! mountains!) as well as weights. I've also been rock climbing with the idea to add this in permanently. I think it is the best complimentary sport to running. Considering joining the climbing gym...

2015-01-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Steve! Save the overachieving for the race! 

2015-01-15 10:57 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Slowly, slowly, slowly adding some actual quality workouts in after lots of easy running. I have a 17 mile trail race this weekend so I just did 2/3 of the workout. Also trying to be mindful about not adding too many things at once. 

The workout was:

WU

400 meters at 82 second, jog then 2 x 1.5 miles at 6:30 pace 

CD

It felt nice and relaxed, enough that us ladies had some real talk during the workout LOL 

I've been making strength an emphasis for the next six months. Strength in running (hills! mountains!) as well as weights. I've also been rock climbing with the idea to add this in permanently. I think it is the best complimentary sport to running. Considering joining the climbing gym...

Great run session! I love how diverse your outdoor/fitness activities are. Your IG pix are always a new surprise!

2015-01-15 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black This morning was my hard workout for the week (week 15 on 20 week HIM RPE plan). Run: wu: 20 minutes main: 7x(3t,2r) cd: 20 minutes Once again set a couple of personal records for longest time and distance of run. 1:17 & 8.5 miles. Actually felt like a runner this morning! I can tell my fitness is way better than it used to be because I'm able to recover pretty fast at this point. Hope everyone has a great day!

Good job Sean.  That is a tough workout.

I start through the 20 week plan in about a week.

2015-01-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Asalzwed

While we are on the shoes topic:

Hokas - I HATED the Cliftons. And I have never said I hated a shoe before. They felt really clunky on the track on the turns. Then again, I am sure they will have a better racing flat type shoe for the public soon. I have seen Leo Manzano and David Torrence sporting them for track racing because obviously their other product offerings aren't going to cut it for that type of racing. I was surprised they weren't more comfortable with all that cushioning, too.

But the biggest takeaway about shoes is that they are extremely personal. You pick what is comfortable and go with it and it's not much more complicated than that.

On another note, I found some trail shoes. I poured over consumer and professional reviews and went with the Brooks Cascadia. Partially because they are well reviewed for what I am looking for and also because I am familiar with the fit and comfort of Brooks. I really enjoy them. I am also currently product testing the New Balance Leadville 1210v2. I enjoy them as well. One thing I notice about both, and this may be a trail shoe thing, but the heel cup tends to be a little wider. I have narrow feet so it's really noticeable. I will likely just wear taller socks (I wear no socks, or no-show typically) to avoid heel chafe. 

As another example of the personal fit, I've looked at the various shoes mentioned here and think they'd be a poor fit for me. The Cascadia (for example) has way too much ramp, and much too little on the toe room.

And we are so fortunate now that there are so many options.  Seems like the trick is just finding that perfect shoe.  It is probably out there for just about everyone.

Adrienne, I got a chuckle about you hating the Clifton's.  You are still such a strong, young pup.  Wait until you've pounded the pavement for thirty years and it hurts just to get out of bed in the morning.  Maybe then you would love these.

Steve, I think when that happens I'll just have my legs replaced. I'm sure I will have a wide variety of bionic leg options by then  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55433 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.