BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2776967

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
GoFaster - 2010-04-08 8:23 AM
ultrahip_00 - 2010-04-08 11:14 AM

Can you help me to actually WANT to ride the drainer?  Those things are brutal on my mind. 

Tacx iMagic Real Life Videos - seeing is believing.  I can't comment on the Computrainer, even though I know it's considered the gold standard for trainers, but the RLV's from Tacx are awesome (resistance on the trainer adapts to the slope of the road).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaskOFDexSw&feature=related

I actually do have a Tacx Imagic - picked it up on ebay for less then half the cost of a CT.  I have one the RLV's - San something or another to somewhere else   This winter when I rode the trainer (all of less then 10 times),  I pretty much just watched a movie on my computer and did some sort of intervals with the normal screen. 

2010-04-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2776872

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
ultrahip_00 - 2010-04-08 10:03 AM you guys move quick, I am going to have to work to keep up. . or, i mean not work, since i am at work.   Pollen sounds terrible in NC, we are lucky to not have any yet, but I did notice the gnats a few weeks ago when it was warm, nothing better then riding through a pack of gnats and getting a little extra fuel Yell

Gnats are a frequent snack on my rides as well....yummy protien.
2010-04-08 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in again

Name: Stan Age: 35

Story: Live in NYC.  It's going to be a busy yr for me so I'm not sure how much I'll participate but would love to still join.  I literally just launched an asset management firm with another partner a few days ago, in the process of forming and marketing 2 private equity funds and may have to travel a ton over the next few months.  Also we've bought and are remodeling a condo with a target move in date of mid July.  So training is probably going to take a major hit this yr.

Family status: Married 6yrs, 2yr old boy.

Training: Do as much as possible while still having family time..  The goal is to do most of it outdoors.

Races: Registered for the Pantenalla Pancake sprint and Nations Tri (Oly).  Hopefully will do another sprint and Olympic (maybe NYC if I can get one through a charity org).

Weightloss: around my target weight, maybe a few lbs more.
2010-04-08 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Here is the Roster....
swbkrun- Steve
Fattyfatfat- John
TrevorC- Trevor
HavinFun- Linda
Tahrens- Tracy
SSMinnow- Suzy
tjtryon- TJ
HollyW- Holly
dalessit- Tony
sdalessio- Sam
stefanier- Stefanier/stefanie
DougRob- Doug
GottaRun- Julia
cnsequra- Chris
kkcbelle- Kyla
ultrahip_00- Mike
kt65- Kim
cyborgqueen- Deanna
tobey91- William
GoFaster- Neil
Gdale- George
Moxie- Jeanie
Soccermom15- Janet
Ashort33- Andy
ronis- Roni
Tritiny- Tiana
velcromom- Linda
gdctex- Glen
redknight- Grandpa Rob
Kickitinok- Trina
tyring1- Stan

I am sure the list will change as people come and go but here it what we have "LOCKED" in.....

Edited by swbkrun 2010-04-08 10:57 AM
2010-04-08 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2776932

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- WE FLY!!!
GoFaster - 2010-04-08 9:14 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-08 9:41 AM wonderful.  a canadian that trains with a power tap.  here's how this conversation is gonna go.... canada blah blah blah be nice blah blah blah free stitches blah blah blah hit a moose on my bike last night blah blah blah... coupled with a conversation with tony about numbers per second per watt per hair on the a$$ per i just peed so not only is my frontal area reduced but i'm lighter hence faster per how good do i look in this kit.  

;-)

I'm guessing this would be me...and don't worry, I stay away from the local moose population.

But yes, I like to geek out with numbers a little bit, so if other's have PT training knowhow to share, I'll be the sponge.  I rode my Tacx iMagic trainer with power the past couple of years and finally got the PT - had an iBike last year, but wasn't super happy with it.

Don't worry about John...He's just jealous that we can go skating and golfing outdoors on the day.
Welcome. Don't say you're a Leafs fan.
2010-04-08 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hope I can slide my way back into the group again. Here's my bio.

Name Redknight, Rob 57

I've been with the SWBKRUN group for a couple of years now adn look forward to another great season. For all the new people you will gain a wealth of information and advice from the people here. You'll likely get a lot of useless trivia and talk also We cover all sorts of areas from injuries (nose zits) to geak bike talk and we have some exceptionally knowledgeable people from all aspect of triathlon.

I'm from Guelph Ont Cda. and I have completed two years of triathling (if that is a word). I started running after I retired from karate. I'm not exactly positive I can nail down why I decided on triathlons. I was never a distance kind of person. When I was younger I considered a 100 yd dash a long distance and a mile run was a marathon to me. I needed another challenge after karate and my BIL and SIL were both running. I decided to give that a try. I had always liked watching the IM Kona but never dreamed of doing anything like that. While web surfing I found out about the shorter distances and a new triathlete was born.

This past year I was able to complete my first ever Olympic distance (Guelph) and Half Ironman (HIM) in Muskoka. It was a slow time ( over 8 hours) but I did something that not many people complete in their life time.

During my time in the sport I have met a wonderful group of people know as SWBKRUN'ers. What an awesome group and with all the talk about flats and nipples how could I go anywhere else. Also the comraderie here and everywhere in the sport has been phenomenal. I have never been in a group where everyone is helping each other get better and hoping they will better your time at some point.

family: married, two daughters grown with three awesome grandchildren between them.
2010 goals: I have cut back this year due to time trainnig constraints and my A race this year will be my Olympic race in June. I am aiming to beat my time last year by almost 19 minutes. Other than that I have 3 other tri's booked for the season and will see what else comes up.

Hi and Good luck to all my buds from the last few seasons here and to all you newbs (to the group) looking to improve and or impart your knowledge to us all. We have found ovver th past few seasons that you can always learn new things about this wonderful sport.

P.S. you may have to decipher someof my typng alos as I have a tendency for my mind to move much more quickly than my fingers.

Edited by Redknight 2010-04-08 11:02 AM

2010-04-08 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Hey, I hinted that I went running last night and if anyone would have checked my logs they would have seen I laid down a PR for pace since before I got hurt.  Everyone get over to my logs and tell me how fabulous I am!!!!!!!WinkKiss
2010-04-08 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

NAME: TriTiny: Tiana

STORY: This is my first tri season.  My niece moved in with me at talked me into a gym membership.  Since I’m paying for the gym I have to get my moneys worth and train.  I can’t go to the gym just to go I need a goal.  I’ve wanted to do triathlon since I watched my first Ironman in High School. I was on the Swim Team my senior year in High School.  It was peer pressure all my friends were on the Team and talked me into it.  I wasn’t the fastest.  I did mainly backstroke and some butterfly.

When I was 21 I had very serious infection post op a burst appendix operation.  The infection caused nerve and muscle damage in my right hip and leg.  I couldn’t walk without a really bad limp.  I got back in the pool.   And worked and worked. And did a lot of PT. It took  ten years before I could walk “normal” again.  Now if you see me you would never know I have a bum leg.  Running is the hardest for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Single (41).  I have two foster daughters 4 and 2. They lived with me a little over a year.  I have been a foster mom for the last four years so things could change in a moment.  My  Niece (21) also lives with me.  She’s training for a half-marathon.

CURRENT TRAINING :  for my first Sprint tri in May

WEIGHTLOSS:  I was ten pounds heavier than my ideal weight when I started training. I’ve lost 3 so far.  I’m not too worried about it

Edited by tritiny 2010-04-08 11:09 AM
2010-04-08 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2776641

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SSMinnow - 2010-04-08 10:05 AM Happy Thursday oldies and newbies...welcome Jeanie, Neil, TJ, Stephanie, Julia, Chris and Mike!!!

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this picture?  One week ago today, I was roasting in the outfit on the left and today, nearly freezing in the outfit on the right! It was 24F and snowing....Spring in WI!

Suzy you melted. We know you are petite but those socks look like they would fit my granddaughter.

2010-04-08 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
OK....last time I hung out with you guys I wound up in the hospital x2 and still can't train.....but I am so tough and not very smart so I would REALLY like to get back in for round 2.

I am finally back in the saddle again as far as a computer goes and ready start rehab for the shoulder in about 3 weeks.

Hopefully I can stay with this great MG.

Steve.
2010-04-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2777091

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

swbkrun - 2010-04-08 11:55 AM Here is the Roster....
swbkrun- Steve 
Fattyfatfat- John
TrevorC- Trevor
HavinFun- Linda
Tahrens- Tracy
SSMinnow- Suzy
tjtryon- TJ
HollyW- Holly
dalessit- Tony
sdalessio- Sam
stefanier- Stefanier/stefanie
DougRob- Doug
GottaRun- Julia
cnsequra- Chris
kkcbelle- Kyla
ultrahip_00- Mike
kt65- Kim
cyborgqueen- Deanna
tobey91- William
GoFaster- Neil
Gdale- George
Moxie- Jeanie
Soccermom15- Janet
Ashort33- Andy
ronis- Roni
Tritiny- Tiana
velcromom- Linda
gdctex- Glen
redknight- Grandpa Rob
Kickitinok- Trina
tyring1- Stan

I am sure the list will change as people come and go but here it what we have "LOCKED" in.....

thanks zit man

2010-04-08 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2777116

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2010-04-08 12:02 PM Hey, I hinted that I went running last night and if anyone would have checked my logs they would have seen I laid down a PR for pace since before I got hurt.  Everyone get over to my logs and tell me how fabulous I am!!!!!!!WinkKiss

NIce run Sugar. Looks like you don't have too far to go to break that 30 min mark. I know how you can do that if you need any help...... Run faster

2010-04-08 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
Alright---- Here comes the RULES....

HAVE FUN, HAVE FUN, HAVE FUN

Make fun of John (fattyfatfat) and Trevor (trevorc) but be prepared to get fired back upon!

We love to have a great time, help each other, ask questions, brag, brag and brag about our accomplishments.

EVERY Wednesday Suzy (SSMinnow) will said out a "who's racing" reply.  MAKE SURE YOU CHIME INTO THAT and her questions that are part of this.

If you can keep track of your workout's in the log that would be great.  People often come in and harass you for not working out, or congrats

Post pictures!!
2010-04-08 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Old members get in automatically, or I am making that rule, friggin 5 pages already!

Name: Jeff (http://jvanis.blogspot.com)

Family Status: Married 2 and a half years, with a 75 lb Bernese Mountain Dog

About Me:
It Professional, Minneapolis metro area , love downhill skiing and snowboarding (not so much after a broken wrist and scaphoid in March) Tris are my summer hobby, although I love them all year round.

Current Training: Building/Base... first race in 3 weeks, looking forward to a good season

History: I have always enjoyed being active, although I used to hate running and could never understand how someone could get enjoyment out of it.  I started running my final year of college with a run club and kept it up for fitness reasons.  I moved to KC right out of college and kept it up.  I spent nearly 6 months traveling to Mississippi and learned that I had a lot of free time so running on the beach became part of my routine.  After a while I decided if I was going to run, I might as well set a goal and why not push the envelope.  I had always looked up to 'marathon runners.' I set my goal to run the Twin Cities Marathon, which I completed 4:48.  My wife has never been a runner, so she suggested we do a sprint tri since she enjoyed swimming.  The flood gates opened and I was hooked.  Tris are the first place I have been able to be successful and see good gains in performance.  It reminds me of high school wrestling being an individual sport but with a team or partners along the way. 

2010 Races:

Chain of the Lakes Tri - May 1
New Bri Sprint - June 5
Lake Waconia – June 27
Waseca 1/3 Iron Distance – August 8
Lake Marion Sprint– August 15 (Confirmed)
St Paul – August 22 (Confirmed)
TriHawks Sprint – September 19

Race Goals:
*New Brighton Opener*:
   - 1:3x/100yd Swim over 1/2 mile
   - 20 MPH Garmin Average - 14 miles
   - Sub 22 Minute 3 Mile run
   - Overall Goal: Sub 1:20 Combined Total
   - Ideal: Sub 1:15  (Podium worthy)
- 21 MPH Garmin Average Sprint Course
- Test Threshold power Jan/Feb, increase by 10% by Race Season
- Find ideal W/L/E Balance

Weightloss:  I started between 185 and 190 and I am hovering around 165 right now.  I would like to trim down and stay around 160, but 165 if I replace some flab with muscle will be acceptable.

Looking forward to session 2 for me of the MG, lots of good chats to come.

Chain of the Lakes Tri – May 1 (Confirmed)

New Brighton Sprint – June 5 (Confirmed)

Lake Waconia – June 27

Waseca 1/3 Iron Distance – August 8

Lake Marion Sprint– August 15 (Confirmed)

St Paul – August 22 (Confirmed)
TriHawks Sprint – September 19

Edited by jvanis 2010-04-08 11:38 AM
2010-04-08 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2776920

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
DougRob - 2010-04-08 10:12 AM
sdalessio - 2010-04-08 11:10 AM
DougRob - 2010-04-08 10:08 AM Hey somebody better get RedKnight in here or I am going to be the oldest member of the MG! And I am at the end of my AG (49)!

To all the new members (and any old ones that are interested) I track the sale of used Computrainers around the country. Post if you are considering buying one and where you are. If I see one in your area I will let you know. I think Andy and Ryan (or a friend of his) picked up deals I found.

Doug

Hey Doug,

Can you add powertaps to that tracking?  Smile

Yes and I have. I know where you and Tony live too.  700c wheels I presume (if the wheel is already built up). Any other prefrences, wireless?

Ah - I can spell powertap but the rest of what you said just flew over my head.  I will defer to Tony for the details.  Actually maybe smaller wheels (650s) ???  Does that sound, right?
2010-04-08 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
craiglook.com is a wonderful tool to search craigslist across the states, you can enter by distance or search all.  Now if any of you snipe a HED 3 or JET 60 clincher front that I am looking for, you may get a visit from a PO'd MG'r

2010-04-08 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
okay, John, a small bit of hanging out in bars, too.  However, football is over - it's STANLEY CUP time!!

Goooooooooo  SHARKS!!!

I'll be at the game with my youngest tonight......calling the stairs training.
2010-04-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2777242

User image

Elite
Raleigh
sdalessio - 2010-04-08 12:36 PM
DougRob - 2010-04-08 10:12 AM
sdalessio - 2010-04-08 11:10 AM
DougRob - 2010-04-08 10:08 AM Hey somebody better get RedKnight in here or I am going to be the oldest member of the MG! And I am at the end of my AG (49)!

To all the new members (and any old ones that are interested) I track the sale of used Computrainers around the country. Post if you are considering buying one and where you are. If I see one in your area I will let you know. I think Andy and Ryan (or a friend of his) picked up deals I found.

Doug

Hey Doug,

Can you add powertaps to that tracking?  Smile

Yes and I have. I know where you and Tony live too.  700c wheels I presume (if the wheel is already built up). Any other prefrences, wireless?

Ah - I can spell powertap but the rest of what you said just flew over my head.  I will defer to Tony for the details.  Actually maybe smaller wheels (650s) ???  Does that sound, right?

Sam:

I am currently only searching for wireless PTs. Built up 650 wheels (not just the PT hub) are harder to find than 700c wheels (the more common diameter).

Doug
2010-04-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2777313

User image

Elite
Raleigh
velcromom - 2010-04-08 12:52 PM okay, John, a small bit of hanging out in bars, too.  However, football is over - it's STANLEY CUP time!!

Goooooooooo  SHARKS!!!

As a former hockey player (30+ years) WELCOME Aboard! I think Raleigh just won next years Allstar Game!

Doug
2010-04-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2775851

User image

Pro
cnsegura - 2010-04-07 7:46 PM

Or 3??

Name: Chris

Family Status:
 Married, 2 kids (3 and 11mo)

I'll update this post later - time to put one of the kids to bed! Ok back, put the kids to bed then promptly fell asleep...

Background: Finishing highschool I was overweight, a smoker and in terrible shape. When I started college I had no cash and a cheap mountain bike was my only form of transportation. Turns out what was a major annoyance at the beginning was a huge turning point for me. Being a smoker made it hard to ride far, so I quit smoking. Riding far (and being poor) made me lose weight. Riding 7 days a week turned me into an avid mountain biker. Since my cardio was improving so much I also became a runner.

My running in college quickly moved to running up Camelback mountain in Phoenix (where I lived at the time). If any of you know that mountain, you know it's a popular place to hike, and turns out a popular place to train for tri's. I was on Camelback so often I got to know quite a few people training for a tri and I decided since I was already biking and running a ton... Adding in the swim should be relatively easy (yes, I know... big assumption at the time). So the training began, or would have begun, except a few months later I graduated, then moved, then traveled quite a bit for work, then started a family... then, then, then... 10 years later, not such good shape anymore, still cycling, moving from mtn bikes to roadies years ago, but that was it.

Late last year I started running again, and since I was still cycling it wasn't long before the idea of a tri crept back into my thoughts... So here I am, 2 months away from my first sprint tri, and about 6 months away from my attempt at an Olympic distance.

Training: I'm following the 20 week, swim focused plan here on BT. Things are going great, particularly now that my swimming is nearing the point of real swimming and not "near drowining" - turns out growing up in the desert and not swimming since I was perhaps 10, didn't exactly prepare me as much for tri swimming as you would have guessed...

Races:

• Issaquah sprint tri on June 5th
  • Black Diamond Oly on Sept 25th'ish...

DOES THIS MEAN that you will be joining Ultrahip00 (Mike), Ryanp100 (Ryan), kkcbelle (Kyla) for our Tuesday night trail runs at Cougar Mtn?  KYLA- what's your story?  You keep saying you are going to come?!
2010-04-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2777407

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2010-04-08 12:12 PM

DOES THIS MEAN that you will be joining Ultrahip00 (Mike), Ryanp100 (Ryan), kkcbelle (Kyla) for our Tuesday night trail runs at Cougar Mtn?  KYLA- what's your story?  You keep saying you are going to come?!

I AM ALL TALK/NO ACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Tuesday nights are really hard for me at least right now. Baseball for my son, hubby has been working until about 9pm every night (cry me a river), it's "long run day" on my training plan -- and I am as anal as they come when it comes to training plans (just check my Monday log for THAT sob story)... Keep sending those emails. I know I can't do this week as I'm going to an author reading/presentation of a friend who just had a book published (and is getting lots and lots of press, kinda exciting for her). Some week when the long run is on the shorter side I will figure it all out and make it up the mountain!!

2010-04-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2777460

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-04-08 12:30 PM

Seriously, Tuesday nights are really hard for me at least right now. Baseball for my son, hubby has been working until about 9pm every night (cry me a river), it's "long run day" on my training plan -- and I am as anal as they come when it comes to training plans (just check my Monday log for THAT sob story)... Keep sending those emails. I know I can't do this week as I'm going to an author reading/presentation of a friend who just had a book published (and is getting lots and lots of press, kinda exciting for her). Some week when the long run is on the shorter side I will figure it all out and make it up the mountain!!

slacker.
2010-04-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2777313

User image

Master
velcromom - 2010-04-08 11:52 AM okay, John, a small bit of hanging out in bars, too.  However, football is over - it's STANLEY CUP time!!

Goooooooooo  SHARKS!!!

Ahhhhh... the Sharks. Back when I was a workin' stiff in the Bay Area I did a few corporate junkets at Sharks games. The most memorable was the night I got caught on the JumboTron dancing with Sharky (yes, alcohol was involved). Thank goodness that was long enough ago that there were not portable video recording devices in everyone's pocket, so there is no proof. And you know what they say: Pics or it didn't happen. So really, it didn't happen.
2010-04-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2777467

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-08 12:32 PM
kkcbelle - 2010-04-08 12:30 PM

slacker.

That's my name. Don't wear it out.
2010-04-08 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2777460

User image

Pro
kkcbelle - 2010-04-08 10:30 AM

Wow... Sorry we don't run long enough for you! Wink  If you need to run longer I can think of about 6 of us that trail run who would be happy to meet you earlier for a longer run!  We can even throw in a few thousand feet of elevation gain if you want! !

Edited by swbkrun 2010-04-08 12:37 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328