General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-08-26 4:58 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by citaltfort

Originally posted by Kugie

Thanks, IMLP went OK. I did it in 14:53:06. I really held back and just decided not to worry about time, since I was heading into uncharted territory. I am setting a time goal this time around and am still working on what it should be based on training pace etc. I feel like my nutrition plan was spot on, no GI issues at all, which I have had in several halves. Right now I am starting a run focus training period since I am doing the Disney marathon and half marathon (The Goofy) in January. I will also be entering a new age group 45 to 50, Ouch!

Welcome to the age group. There are still some ridiculously fast people, but at least there aren't quite as many people in general as the 40-44 age group.

I'm looking forward to being in the 80-84 age group. Only shot I've got at Kona is being last one standing! I've got a lot of years to go.

2013-08-26 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4813476

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
I signed up on June 24th as soon as registration opened. I'm turning forty next June so it's like my birthday present to myself. We've booked a room at the Ameritel Inn. Mrs Ultramike is really excited that we are leaving the four kids at home with Grandma.

This will be my second Ironman. I did Penticton in 2007, but I haven't done any triathlon racing at all since 2008. Life, family, and injuries kinda got in the way.

I have about forty pounds to lose before I am at race weight. All the hills on the bike course will definitely keep me motivated to lose the extra weight.

I'm really hoping to ride the bike course at least once in May or early June. Coeur D'Alene is about a 6 or 7 hour drive from here. Hopefully I'll find some other people in the Vancouver, BC area who are also doing this race.
2013-08-27 12:37 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by ultramike

I signed up on June 24th as soon as registration opened. I'm turning forty next June so it's like my birthday present to myself. We've booked a room at the Ameritel Inn. Mrs Ultramike is really excited that we are leaving the four kids at home with Grandma.

This will be my second Ironman. I did Penticton in 2007, but I haven't done any triathlon racing at all since 2008. Life, family, and injuries kinda got in the way.

I have about forty pounds to lose before I am at race weight. All the hills on the bike course will definitely keep me motivated to lose the extra weight.

I'm really hoping to ride the bike course at least once in May or early June. Coeur D'Alene is about a 6 or 7 hour drive from here. Hopefully I'll find some other people in the Vancouver, BC area who are also doing this race.

Hi Mike - welcome back to triathlon! I hope you have a great adventure you and your wife can spend some quality time in Coeur d'Alene. We loved it when we were there in 2011.
2013-08-27 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by citaltfort

Originally posted by Kugie

Thanks, IMLP went OK. I did it in 14:53:06. I really held back and just decided not to worry about time, since I was heading into uncharted territory. I am setting a time goal this time around and am still working on what it should be based on training pace etc. I feel like my nutrition plan was spot on, no GI issues at all, which I have had in several halves. Right now I am starting a run focus training period since I am doing the Disney marathon and half marathon (The Goofy) in January. I will also be entering a new age group 45 to 50, Ouch!

Welcome to the age group. There are still some ridiculously fast people, but at least there aren't quite as many people in general as the 40-44 age group.

Yea.....about that 40-44 age group........ugh!
2013-08-27 9:01 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ultramike

Sounds a lot like my story.. I haven't raced a tri since 08' myself. (life, kids, work, etc.) Let us know if you make it down in the Spring to ride the course. A few of us that live close in to CdA may join you for the fun.
2013-09-02 5:06 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Regular
I'm officially in, just signed up. Not much of a break before I begin the training as I race Augusta 70.3 in a few weeks then the Jacksonville, FL marathon the end of December. Should be able to get a 2 week full rest after. Really looking forward to this one.

Tom

2013-09-06 10:42 AM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
My last race of this season is this weekend. After that, next major race on my calendar will be CdA! Looking forward to a little downtime, really that will mean some unstructured training, then getting after it for the race!
2013-09-07 12:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by tallytom

I'm officially in, just signed up. Not much of a break before I begin the training as I race Augusta 70.3 in a few weeks then the Jacksonville, FL marathon the end of December. Should be able to get a 2 week full rest after. Really looking forward to this one.

Tom

Welcome aboard, Tom. I saw your St. George 2012 race report. Yup, it all sounded very similar to my race there. Let's hope CdA provides a little (ok, a lot) more civil weather.
2013-09-07 8:16 AM

User image

Regular

Welcome aboard, Tom. I saw your St. George 2012 race report. Yup, it all sounded very similar to my race there. Let's hope CdA provides a little (ok, a lot) more civil weather.

I'm just looking for a little break when it comes to weather for an IM. I did TX this year and struggled on the entire run w cramps due to heat index around 100. My sweat rate is ridiculous. Love the heat, hence love typical FL weather where I live. However, don't like to race and train in it as much. But being a pretty lean guy makes cold temps harsh as well, or at least until I get moving. Oh well, guess I gotta go with the flow. Also heading into the M45-59 category and yes it is not slowing much.

Gotta lot of work heading into this. Luckily, where I live in FL I have hills where I cant escape them.

I think I'm going to try to bring my kids as well and now I'm searching for a nice house to rent. Things are costly compared to when I did VRBO at St. George.

Tom
2013-09-15 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Logistical question. Any shuttles (that would accommodate a bike box) from Spokane to the hotels in CdA? Or is renting a car the real only option?
2013-09-15 5:23 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Baton Rouge
I was planning on using Tribike Transport again. Their service was excellent for Lake Placid.

2013-09-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: Kugie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Just got back home from over two weeks in the backcountry bow hunting for elk........ Brought two elk home and lost over 10 lbs! Much closer to race weight now.. Looking forward to some excellent organic meat for the diet and jumping back into training.
2013-09-16 10:39 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Woo hoo, busy this year with racing and signing up for more next year. CDA will be one stop in my 4 for 40 year. If all goes well I'll hit #12 late next year. Good luck and happy training.
2013-09-16 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Hey Tom, no Texas in 2014?
2013-09-16 10:47 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by papson14

Woo hoo, busy this year with racing and signing up for more next year. CDA will be one stop in my 4 for 40 year. If all goes well I'll hit #12 late next year. Good luck and happy training.

Does that mean 40 triathlons in 4 years?
2013-09-17 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Not racing for 2014 but did this year and will be hanging out some because I miss all the talk from the 2013 race and maybe I can help some of the others with CDA experience answer questions, help with a drive tour of the course for out of towners, that sort of thing. I also hope to see some of you out there as I will be volunteering on the water and maybe at the finish.

2013-09-17 7:03 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Regular
Originally posted by papson14

Hey Tom, no Texas in 2014?

What's up Papson. No return trip for me. I loved it and mulled it over for a bit and decided on CDA. One part of me wanted to go for the redemption factor, but in the end I like new venues. I must say, TX is logistically nice for me with a nice 9-10 hr drive and decent /cheap hotels to choose from. I may go back one day. Good luck with CDA and looking forward to a good 9 mos. of the CDA forum.

Tom

2013-09-17 7:06 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Regular
Originally posted by smithe68

Not racing for 2014 but did this year and will be hanging out some because I miss all the talk from the 2013 race and maybe I can help some of the others with CDA experience answer questions, help with a drive tour of the course for out of towners, that sort of thing. I also hope to see some of you out there as I will be volunteering on the water and maybe at the finish.

Thanks for offering some insight from a racers perspective.

TOm
2013-09-17 7:23 PM

User image

Hey all, looking for... maybe... a 2014 IM.   Did IM Canada last month.   If I do one, it's a quick in and out Thrsday to Monday or Tuesday.   Transport cost and time to Whistler and CdA from L.A. is a wash.  Whistler was super easy to get around, no car needed for any of it, easy to walk back to finish for midnight.   And since I am coming with my wife (i think), at Whistler she can hang out in the villlage or go back to the hotel. 

What's the lodging situation like, looks like most close places are either $$$$ or booked. 

What's the getting in and out of the race site pre race and on race day?

I gues Whistler will be a slower course overall but I don't really care about that.

Thanks for any info

2013-09-19 12:12 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

New user
Bonney Lake
I just did Whistler to Congrats!! I also did CDA the last few years. Here is my take.

Start/Finish
In CDA they are in the same spot. I say win for CDA. Also in town and you finish down the main road. Where you have 6ish blocks of Ironman glory to your finish in front of tons of people.

I felt Whistlers finish line was great, but not as good as CDA. Any finish is great but CDA is a lot of fun.

Lodging
Whistler has CDA beat on this. You are in waling to everything you would ever want. The whole Whistler Village was nice, and then you were able to just walk back to your hotel.

The hotels around CDA are not very close to the start, but you can walk from a few of them. There are a couple close but not many. The resort is the closest and I would guess that it is full. I stay at the Holiday Inn and last year they had a shuttle in the morning if you wanted to take it. We just drove over and parked.

There are also homes to rent for the week that might land you closer to the start but I do not know much about them.

Race site.
Tough call here. CDA has it all in one spot. You might park a bit away form the park but if you are a little crafty you are never that far away. Also all the action is in one area. The park and beach are big enough for your family to see you on race day get in the water and get out. Also the swim area pre race is not a 2 mile walk. Getting in and out can be a small pain but never that bad both on race day and before hand. Post race I have never had an issue in CDA. My wife finds a nice parking spot and its not that far of a walk. Also the bike course is closed by the time you are done so you wont have to fight road closures to get away.
Whistler had a great sire as you know but it was spread out. I liked it but I also like the CDA compact race site as well. I found that with each you are in crowds for pre and post race, and I walked the same. Just depends on if it was from hotel to bus in Whistler or car to race in CDA.

For me the run in CDA is a bit more fun. I like the course in Whistler better because its beautiful and the fear of bears will get you going. However in CDA there is a lot of local town support that makes it a lot of fun.

In my book Whistler wins on the bike due to closing the roads. i know CDA can not do this for HW95 but Whistler gave us a chunk of road and that was awesome.

It is a tough call. I like both places and am going back to CDA next year and might mix it up to Whistler the following year. They both are great places and have ups and downs to the venues. I think it just comes down to your preferences. CDA will or could be a cold swim and have tough chop, but the bike is not as tough. Whistler is a small swim area, tough bike and has bears. Other nice thing is CDA has an airport close by in Spokane that you might be able to fly into for the quick in and out you were looking for. Plenty of hotels in Spokane if you do not mind the 30ish mile drive to the race venue.
2013-09-19 1:20 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Thanks for the info.  I think a big deal for me, especially as my wife will be with me, and we'll be alone, is the ability to walk back to the hotel while I race.  I really don't want to have to drive in race morning, and have her be stuck there all day, I think Whislter gives more options right now.  I don't really care about course difficulty, etc.

2013-09-19 6:03 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

New user
Bonney Lake
Yeah Whistler provides more hotels in walking distance. CDA has a few if you look but I am going to guess they are booked rather quickly. Others who know the area better might be able to tell you of a good smaller hotel. The only one close by I know of is the resort, but I have seen a couple smaller hotels close by, just not sure what they are named. Good luck, and I would say you can not go wrong at either place. Maybe someong knows of a rental or hotels within walking to the start.
2013-09-25 7:28 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
The weather has officially "cooled" off up here in the Coeur D'Alene/Spokane region....... Had to build a fire in the woodstove a few times this week.

Here's hoping for an early Spring to warm up the lake for June. It would be nice to have several OWS in Lake CdA prior to race day.
2013-09-28 3:45 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Count me in I did IMLT last weekend and well I have money that says CDA will be warmer and not as hilly as IMLT. This will be my 5th IM with another run at IMLT this fall. Just healing up at the moment. I am hoping for calmer water at CDA this year. My other IM there had 2 foot wind waves that pushed across course. Glad to see so many in the thread.
2013-09-28 9:34 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Baowolf

Count me in I did IMLT last weekend and well I have money that says CDA will be warmer and not as hilly as IMLT. This will be my 5th IM with another run at IMLT this fall. Just healing up at the moment. I am hoping for calmer water at CDA this year. My other IM there had 2 foot wind waves that pushed across course. Glad to see so many in the thread.

Congratulations on finishing IMLT! I'm guessing CdA is a walk in the park compared to that.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139169 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384012 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135215 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3680 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61736 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.