General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Regular
Virginia
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Hey everybody. I'm Matt, from Richmond, VA. I'm 42. My background was competitive swimming, and I have been racing triathlons for four years now.

This will be my first IM. I am pleased to report that there is a small army of my fellow Richmond triathletes coming to Chattanooga for this race, so at least I will have plenty of training partners in 2014! I look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

in reply to: MCA

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
Hey guys! I'm Ben, 27, live in Nashville, TN.

Started doing tris last year, this will be my first iron distance. Was a competitive swimmer growing up, have been running for about 5 years, and so triathlon seemed a natural next step. Currently training for my first HIM next month and then my second marathon in November, then I'll start thinking about what needs to happen next year.
in reply to: Sous

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by exnavydoc Hey all, Joe (57) from Groveland Florida here. I'm hoping to continue a long string of 15-16 hour finishes. This will be number 15 start for me at the 140.6 distance, number 10 m-dot race. Still have IMArizona and then IMLosCabos to work through before IMChoo. I keep coming back for the energy that exists throughout race morning, especially on the beach before the start, and the amazing frenzy at the finish. Sometimes I wish I were one of the folks who could do one IM race and move on, but I'm addicted. I don't have much advice to give except how manage arthritic knees well enough to keep sneaking in under the cutoffs - the 16:30 limit for this race is similar to European IM races where the time cutoff is 16 hours, and with the relatively flat bike and current assisted swim should not pose a significant barrier.
Holey moley! #15?! Very impressive!

Word!

Thanks, but maybe not so impressive really. More stubborn than anything else - just refuse to stop moing forward. I think it may point to mental illness - back to the AA analogy? But I do love the race morning energy standing on the beach. Makes all the training and the rest of the day worthwhile. Good luck and happy training!
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Veteran
Hey Everyone,

My name is Keith. I am 31 and I will be toeing the line for IM #2. I just finished Louisville a few weeks ago and the first (coherent) thing I said to my wife after I finished was I couldn't wait to sign up for another full.

Happy training!
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Originally posted by exnavydoc Hey all, Joe (57) from Groveland Florida here. I'm hoping to continue a long string of 15-16 hour finishes. This will be number 15 start for me at the 140.6 distance, number 10 m-dot race. Still have IMArizona and then IMLosCabos to work through before IMChoo. I keep coming back for the energy that exists throughout race morning, especially on the beach before the start, and the amazing frenzy at the finish. Sometimes I wish I were one of the folks who could do one IM race and move on, but I'm addicted. I don't have much advice to give except how manage arthritic knees well enough to keep sneaking in under the cutoffs - the 16:30 limit for this race is similar to European IM races where the time cutoff is 16 hours, and with the relatively flat bike and current assisted swim should not pose a significant barrier.

Word!

Thanks, but maybe not so impressive really. More stubborn than anything else - just refuse to stop moing forward. I think it may point to mental illness - back to the AA analogy? But I do love the race morning energy standing on the beach. Makes all the training and the rest of the day worthwhile. Good luck and happy training!

Interestingly, my initial response was something to the effect of... "yea impressive, or insane".  Seriously though, that is quite a feat.

in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Word!

Interestingly, my initial response was something to the effect of... "yea impressive, or insane".  Seriously though, that is quite a feat.

My initial response was much along the same lines, thought I also threw "stubborn" in there.  As in "impressive, insane, or just plain stubborn."  More likely a combination of all three.  

I completely agree with Joe about that feeling when you're waiting for the start - there's absolutely nothing like it! 

in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Hi everyone! I'm Debbie, 41, from Clayton, NC (just east of Raleigh). I got into triathlon in 2010 at an all female race after swimming laps just 4 times - my background was always running. I fell in love with multisport and have completed 2 HIM's, several sprints and olympic/international local events. My family (husband and our 10 year old triplets) have been encouraging me to do a full IM and we're excited to be going to Chattanooga! All 5 of us race so it's truly a family sport.
I'm not sure yet how to structure my training program so looking for suggestions on programs and reading a lot online. I am a working Mom and my daughters and son keep us busy with their races too. Biking is my strength, run is right up there and I can get through the swim
It's fun to read each others' perspectives and I look forward to sharing this Ironman journey with all of you.

Debbie
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

Originally posted by nmk62303

Hi everyone! I'm Debbie, 41, from Clayton, NC (just east of Raleigh). I got into triathlon in 2010 at an all female race after swimming laps just 4 times - my background was always running. I fell in love with multisport and have completed 2 HIM's, several sprints and olympic/international local events. My family (husband and our 10 year old triplets) have been encouraging me to do a full IM and we're excited to be going to Chattanooga! All 5 of us race so it's truly a family sport.
I'm not sure yet how to structure my training program so looking for suggestions on programs and reading a lot online. I am a working Mom and my daughters and son keep us busy with their races too. Biking is my strength, run is right up there and I can get through the swim
It's fun to read each others' perspectives and I look forward to sharing this Ironman journey with all of you.

Debbie

Hey Debbie, Triplets, WOW! Everybody is different on training plans they like to use so here are my 2 cents. I used the IronFit program from Don Fink. The Book "Be Iron Fit" was not only a very encouraging read, but the training programs were easy for me to follow and I was able to hit about 90% of my workouts. Based on the training plan I chose (he has multiple levels), I was able to complete the race I did without incident and pretty much right on the time goals I expected. Best wishes for you AND your family.
in reply to: 0

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Hey, I'm Luke. I did m first tri last in June of last year. I also did the Augusta 70.3 and finished pretty well for the amount of training I put in. This will be my first full, so any advice or plan suggestion would be appreciated. My swimming really got better this summer, but I think I could get better on the bike. I'm planning on doing a marathon and a 50k between now and next spring. Should I start biking more now or just wait until after the running? I'm only biking about 2.5 hours per week now.

Edited by LukeBoswell 2013-09-11 8:26 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Champion
Alabama
This race is still a year and 16 days away....so to pass the time, share your best IM lesson learned.

A few of mine:

1. Forget the heavy lifting! While signed up for my 3rd IM, I was in the gym lifting weights with my son. I was showing him how much the old man could bench press and do lat pull-downs with heavy weights. The next day I was so sore I thought I'd torn a rotator cuff.....but turns out a herniated a disc. This was in Feb and in June I had surgery (after all non-surgial means failed to heal it). I've since concluded I am too old for the heavy lifting! Besides, the IM is about repetition of muscles.

2. I have found it nearly impossible to lose a lot of weight during peak training. When I crank up the volume of training I really need to fuel my body and fuel the recovery. Plus, I stay ravenously hungry! This is not the time to be on a low-calorie diet. So this time I plan to lose most of what I plan to lose before peak training (May - Aug).

in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Great points you made.

Mine are the typical
1) fueling is everything. I didn't,t pay close enough attention during my training to what I needed/could handle. In my race I was really hindered by bad nutrition

2)early on for me, frequency of running would have been better than duration. I tried to ramp up my long run too fast. I would have been better served to build a better base before I started building my long run up

3)enjoy the training. Sometimes we focus so much on the end goal that we forget to just have fun doing what we love!

in reply to: pjcycles63

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by pjcycles63

Great points you made.

Mine are the typical
1) fueling is everything. I didn't,t pay close enough attention during my training to what I needed/could handle. In my race I was really hindered by bad nutrition

2)early on for me, frequency of running would have been better than duration. I tried to ramp up my long run too fast. I would have been better served to build a better base before I started building my long run up

3)enjoy the training. Sometimes we focus so much on the end goal that we forget to just have fun doing what we love!

Good point on the nutrition. On my 2nd IM I ate and drank everything I could get my hands on. I later learned that you body can only process about 350 - 400 calories per hour. So everything above that does nothing but serve to give me a bloated feeling. Oh, and a bad case of gas by the time I got to the run.....not fun with the course is line with spectators....it wasn't bad on the first loop but I think on the second loop some people recognized me as 'that guy'....
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Originally posted by pjcycles63

Great points you made.

Mine are the typical

Good point on the nutrition. On my 2nd IM I ate and drank everything I could get my hands on. I later learned that you body can only process about 350 - 400 calories per hour. So everything above that does nothing but serve to give me a bloated feeling. Oh, and a bad case of gas by the time I got to the run.....not fun with the course is line with spectators....it wasn't bad on the first loop but I think on the second loop some people recognized me as 'that guy'....

Lol too funny. I know exactly what you mean! Had trouble running just because of my stomach was literally starting to bloat. Will definitely work on that!!
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by nmk62303

Debbie

+1 on Be Iron Fit. The ebook is dirt cheap on Amazon and I liked the structure of the training plan.
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I finally have a confirmation that I am in for the race and that the other e-mail was sent in error.  Happy Friday!

My name is Brian. Im a race director and I live wherever I need to put on a race! Chattanooga is my latest "home." I spent some time answering some of your questions about 70.3 Raleigh last year, thought I would sit in and see what you all are saying about IMCHOO. We are well underway and are looking forward to a great inaugural race in 2014. Good luck with the training, stay safe out there! Make sure and introduce yourself if we run into each other out on the course!

in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

hi Brian! i'm looking forward to next year! and would like to say thanks for everything already - you seemed to have kept your head when people on ST and Facebook were screaming for it
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
For those who have done IM. What are your nutritional strategies? For my HIMs, i've used Gatorade, Water, Clif bloks, and gels. Trying peanut butter crackers for an upcoming 70.3. What other things are you guys using. Feel like 10+hrs of Gatorade and Clif will kill my stomach.

Edited by parrj 2013-09-13 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Originally posted by LukeBoswell

Hey, I'm Luke. I did m first tri last in June of last year. I also did the Augusta 70.3 and finished pretty well for the amount of training I put in. This will be my first full, so any advice or plan suggestion would be appreciated. My swimming really got better this summer, but I think I could get better on the bike. I'm planning on doing a marathon and a 50k between now and next spring. Should I start biking more now or just wait until after the running? I'm only biking about 2.5 hours per week now.

Luke, we are neighbors. Which 50k are you doing? I'm doing the Duncan trail 50k in November at Vogel state park. Bradley odom at swim/bike.run store in Stateboro is also doing IMCHoo.

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Originally posted by LukeBoswell

Luke, we are neighbors. Which 50k are you doing? I'm doing the Duncan trail 50k in November at Vogel state park. Bradley odom at swim/bike.run store in Stateboro is also doing IMCHoo.
in reply to: parrj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by parrj

For those who have done IM. What are your nutritional strategies? For my HIMs, i've used Gatorade, Water, Clif bloks, and gels. Trying peanut butter crackers for an upcoming 70.3. What other things are you guys using. Feel like 10+hrs of Gatorade and Clif will kill my stomach.

I'm planning on going with an all liquid diet. My nutrition plan for my last race wasn't adequate, and I also learned that it is really hard to keep track of nutrition over an IM distance event. Your mind just gets unreliable. So, I plan on going with Infinit or Perpetuem and setting a timer on my watch to make the process idiot proof. I have a 4 hour ride tomorrow, and I plan on using liquid only, so I'll see how test phase 1 works out!

New user
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I'm planning on going with an all liquid diet. My nutrition plan for my last race wasn't adequate, and I also learned that it is really hard to keep track of nutrition over an IM distance event. Your mind just gets unreliable. So, I plan on going with Infinit or Perpetuem and setting a timer on my watch to make the process idiot proof. I have a 4 hour ride tomorrow, and I plan on using liquid only, so I'll see how test phase 1 works out!

I use Infinite. All my training for IM Louisville was with Infinite mixed with room temp tap water. I use a speedfill mounted on the frame and a bottle mounted on the aero bars. I carried 3 -1 hour bottles. I drew off the water every 10 mins and five mins after that I sipped Infinite. I got it down to where the Infinite was gone in 4 big draws over each hour. I mixed 3 more bottles at special needs and had extra mix for the last hour. Refilled my water when I needed it. I watched the timer on my bike computer. Dont get used to cold infinite at home training because it will likely not stay cold for long. My buddy did that at for Lou and could not stomach the hot infinite that he had for the last 1 1/2 hour and did not drink it. He close to 2 hours of nutrition and paid for it on the run.
Train like you fight.
in reply to: parrj

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

This will be IM #7 for me, I have tried a few strategies for nutrition. I am doing IMFL in Nov and plan on a liquid plan. I will use 1 bottle of Perpetuem concentrated with 6 scoops (810 cal), 2 bottles of Scratch Labs electrolyte drink and water from aid stations. I will have the same 3 mixes in special needs. The biggest thing I have learned is it does not matter how you get your calories and electrolytes, and what works for one person may not work for you. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE what you will race with in all weather conditions and make sure you body can work with it. The other thing is keep it simple, the more complicated you make it, the more things can go wrong. Always have a plan A, B, and C. If you drop a bottle or miss an aid station, what is your plan B. Trust me, very rarely will your race go as planned, half the battle of IM is overcomming adversity during the race. That's my advice for what it's worth, good luck to everyone.

Jim
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Does anyone know what the water temperature is expected to be on race day? I have been Google searching this, but cannot find any good data.
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Does anyone know what the water temperature is expected to be on race day? I have been Google searching this, but cannot find any good data.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 31333 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61850 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 174923 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 41139 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: