of 97

2015-01-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by TankBoy

Comment then Question: At masters this morning during a 20x100 set I was goofing around with working on my off-side and bilateral breathing since I am currently elbow-regulated to nothing harder than T-pace. I was reminded by the pace clock that I can obviously maintain the same pace when bilateral breathing (every 3 strokes) as I can at a slightly harder pace when breathing to one side every stroke cycle. At T-pace and faster I always switch to breathing every cycle (mostly to the left out of habit and preference, but do on occasion switch to the right for several strokes for relief and variety). When breathing to my off-side I do have to concentrate fairly hard to make sure I do not lift my head a little when breathing, so that could definitely use some work. So the question (I think) is right now while I can keep my volume up (12k ~ 13k yards per week) but am swimming mostly fairly easy would it do me some good to work on my bilateral and off-side breathing to get more comfortable when swimming this way at a harder effort (like I said, it seems to be more efficient, I just can't swim as fast bilaterally) or is this simply just a "thing" but not worth working on?

I would second Arend comments.

Sighting is another advantage in bilateral breathing as well as you may know. While no coach pounded it into me I learned a long time ago, actually it just seamed natural to me.

Couple of notes: 1. Think about you whole body being on a spit (like a pig with a apple in its mouth turning over a open fire) as you rotate try to get your ear to the top of your bicep/shoulder along the arm without moving your head. 2. Try breath not so regular i.e.…every 3 strokes, try 3, 3, 6, 3, 3, 6 or what ever and mix it up till you find a comfortable breathing pace as well as a uncomfortable breathing pace. A key to rhythmic breathing is the exhale.

btw…I wasn't calling you a pig

2015-01-07 11:09 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TankBoy and some funny dude named Tasr (anybody know what happened to him?)

I don't know. That guy was awesome.

That guy was a old has been and very whacked in the head.......

2015-01-07 1:59 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Thanks for the tips, everyone - I will keep working on it. If nothing else it will give me a little focus and direction while I forced to keep the effort a little easier. FWIW when swimming in open water (whether racing or not) I follow the "breath whenever I need to" approach. While I prefer a counterclockwise course, if the course is clockwise I will switch to my off-side. All other things being equal (sun, wind, waves, etc) I prefer to have the buoys on my breathing side for some reason. What I have noticed in the pool was that when swimming at an easier pace and swimming bilaterally I am as fast at an easier effort as I am when breathing to one side at a (slightly) harder effort. So the question is really should I keep working the bilateral breathing so that I get faster while doing it OR should I focus on getting faster by continuing to breath every cycle which allows me to push the efforts harder. based in your responses, the obvious answer seems to be "Yes." Ha-ha!
2015-01-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Today's lunchtime "business" group ride kicked off the winter season, and the temp when we rolled out was 31 degrees Farenheit. I was hoping it would be AT LEAST a full -1c, but ah, well. The wind was a steady 15mph, so that counts for something right? I know that is what most of you ride into early July or so, but that is pretty chilly for these parts and will keep a lot of folks around here off the road. I actually like those temps as it is at least easy to dress for - not like the 40s.... I will ride down to around 20F/-6c but pull the plug colder than that - it is so rare that I just have never invested in the clothing for it. What is the coldest you all are willing (or at least prepared) to ride your rodie?
2015-01-07 2:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy What is the coldest you all are willing (or at least prepared) to ride your rodie?

Apparently, 48 degrees...but I was freezing my azz off.  This was while I was in Vegas riding red rock.  Oddly, Silverman 70.3 was 5 days later and it was pretty toasty for Chris and Marc.  LOL.  Here in Hawaii, I'd probably ride if it was in the high 50's...knowing that it wouldn't last longer than 20 minutes after the sun comes up.  I have ZERO cold weather riding gear.

2015-01-07 3:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I should throw my bio in here since many of you probably have no idea who I am   My name is Jim Kelley and my BT username is Birkierunner….Birkie referring to the American Birkebeiner 51k x-c ski marathon that I’ve done every year for the past 18 years. I’m a 54 year old wildlife biologist that has been involved with endurance sports for over 35 years. In high school I raced fall x-c, ski team (x-c and Nordic jumping), and track. After racing in college a bit I spent many years just doing maintenance running mileage with no racing goals in mind, with an occasional 10k – I basically wasted my 20s and 30s as far as competing (busy with M.S. and Ph.D. programs) . A friend of mine convinced me to race the 51 km American Birkebeiner x-c ski race in 1997 and that is when my endurance racing kicked back into high gear. I ran my first marathon in 1998 and managed to qualify for Boston, which I ran in 1999. I’ve done a ton of road racing over the years, 10 marathons, one 50k and one 50 mile ultra. I still race x-c skiing in the winter. I got a little bored with marathons, and did my first triathlon (Olympic) in 2005. I followed that up with a half-ironman a month later and did an IM the next year. I'm focusing on Ironman racing and KQ right now and have managed to complete 8 of them so far with a PR of 10:20 at IMAZ in 2013. My A race for 2015 is IM CDA.  I recently re-married and have a 6-year old step-son, so I'm familiar with the challenges of training while considering family time.  I am a certified USAT Level I Coach and I’m an Associate Coach at a company founded by fellow BT’er JorgeM. I have started another BT mentor group of my own for 2015 but will try to contribute as much to this group as I can. Looking forward to some great discussions.

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-07 3:13 PM

2015-01-07 4:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by TankBoy What is the coldest you all are willing (or at least prepared) to ride your rodie?

Apparently, 48 degrees...but I was freezing my azz off.  This was while I was in Vegas riding red rock.  Oddly, Silverman 70.3 was 5 days later and it was pretty toasty for Chris and Marc.  LOL.  Here in Hawaii, I'd probably ride if it was in the high 50's...knowing that it wouldn't last longer than 20 minutes after the sun comes up.  I have ZERO cold weather riding gear.

About the same for me. Mid to high 40's. I don't like using pants or anything more than a light long sleeve. Really won't go below freezing on the roads as I don't want to deal with ice. I have on the mountain on some MUP's, but that was awhile ago.

2015-01-07 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy Today's lunchtime "business" group ride kicked off the winter season, and the temp when we rolled out was 31 degrees Farenheit. I was hoping it would be AT LEAST a full -1c, but ah, well. The wind was a steady 15mph, so that counts for something right? I know that is what most of you ride into early July or so, but that is pretty chilly for these parts and will keep a lot of folks around here off the road. I actually like those temps as it is at least easy to dress for - not like the 40s.... I will ride down to around 20F/-6c but pull the plug colder than that - it is so rare that I just have never invested in the clothing for it. What is the coldest you all are willing (or at least prepared) to ride your rodie?

Above zero F.  Below that and I'm just not going to do it.  Even AT that temp, it's not fun for me, but I have the gear and will go.

These days, though, that gear is happily stuffed in a drawer (except I might end up using it if it gets below 45 - my blood has thinned).

Anyone have a temp ABOVE which they won't ride?  I'm thinking 110, as I've happily ridden in the single digits above 100, but might even go higher.  Looks like I'll get a chance to test that, likely next summer.

Matt

2015-01-07 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Everyone (except Jason maybe) ready for the polar vortex to come through tonight? 

I actually switched my tempo run to last night just because I knew it was going to be perfect running weather and tonight was going to be chilly (at least for me....it is actually supposed to drop below freezing, so I think that counts as cold!).  Tonight will just be a short, easy run with the dogs.....bundled up as necessary and no pressure to hold specific paces

2015-01-07 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

As much as I am willing to run in some pretty cold temps, I wouldn't be out on the bike in much colder than Jason!  I have very little in the way of cold weather riding gear.  I can't remember ever being out in colder than 5 or 6 degrees C.  

2015-01-07 4:38 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TankBoy Today's lunchtime "business" group ride kicked off the winter season, and the temp when we rolled out was 31 degrees Farenheit. I was hoping it would be AT LEAST a full -1c, but ah, well. The wind was a steady 15mph, so that counts for something right? I know that is what most of you ride into early July or so, but that is pretty chilly for these parts and will keep a lot of folks around here off the road. I actually like those temps as it is at least easy to dress for - not like the 40s.... I will ride down to around 20F/-6c but pull the plug colder than that - it is so rare that I just have never invested in the clothing for it. What is the coldest you all are willing (or at least prepared) to ride your rodie?

Above zero F.  Below that and I'm just not going to do it.  Even AT that temp, it's not fun for me, but I have the gear and will go.

These days, though, that gear is happily stuffed in a drawer (except I might end up using it if it gets below 45 - my blood has thinned).

Anyone have a temp ABOVE which they won't ride?  I'm thinking 110, as I've happily ridden in the single digits above 100, but might even go higher.  Looks like I'll get a chance to test that, likely next summer.

Matt

You will ride near zero F???  Damn that's hard core.

As for a max, I haven't a clue, I've never found myself in a situation where it was too hot to ride.

2015-01-07 4:40 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Everyone (except Jason maybe) ready for the polar vortex to come through tonight? 

I actually switched my tempo run to last night just because I knew it was going to be perfect running weather and tonight was going to be chilly (at least for me....it is actually supposed to drop below freezing, so I think that counts as cold!).  Tonight will just be a short, easy run with the dogs.....bundled up as necessary and no pressure to hold specific paces

-20 (-32 w/ the wind) here tomorrow.  So just below Matt's threshold to be out on the bike.  

2015-01-07 4:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
2015-01-07 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

What is your Jens Factor?

LOL - that's awesome!

In NO world would I ever, in any way, compare myself to Jensie, though.

I will say that my minimum temp ride matches more the description of his Factor 5 (although my full on cold weather gear looks more spacesuit-like!).  To be clear, I've only done that a couple times, and they were desperation rides, indeed! 

I don't know if y'all remember how much I used to grouse about the trainer (with which I've made peace), but I would ride even when it was a bit stoopid... 

2015-01-07 5:16 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Matt

Matt - I will run or ride in any temp heat wise. I have proven to be very heat tolerant over the years (one of the perks of being small along with spending my summers in Alabama cotton fields) and actually really like racing and training in the heat and humidity. I know that tolerance is supposed to fade somewhat as we get older and every summer I am afraid that "well, this is it!" but so far so good. Our summers have not been so bad the last couple of years (more rain than heat) but in 2012 we had a heatwave roll through in late July, just before IM Lake Placid. I rode an organized century in which the roll-out temp in the morning was 93 degrees and the max temp during the ride was 111. Fairly flat for around here with only about 4200' of climbing I think, and I made it around in 5:07 including all the rest stops, of which there were many for fluids. I remember chugging 3 Coca-Colas at the end and thinking I had never had anything in the world that tasted so good. The next weekend it had "cooled off to 98 degrees" and I did my last pre-race brick before IMLP: 80 miles and 7500' of climbing, then 2 hours of running mountain trails. We planned that one to start and end at one of our mountain river put-ins, and I floated around in the water for about an hour waiting for everyone else to come in. And Oh yeah, both weekends the humidity was about a gajillion percent. Those two back-to-back training weekends are amongst most most memorable of late - makes me almost-but-not-quite miss Ironman training.

2015-01-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Very smart! I really thought about switching my run from tomorrow to today as well, but really wanted to be able to jump on this particular group ride one more time before school starts - I won't get a chance again before the spring due to my work schedule, which is too bad, because they have all kinds of funny point categories through the winter and awesome prizes at the end.

Now I am going to be running tomorrow when it is 13F/-10c ("feels like" 5F/-15c) But hey - at least the sun is supposed to be out!

2015-01-07 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

As much as I am willing to run in some pretty cold temps, I wouldn't be out on the bike in much colder than Jason!  I have very little in the way of cold weather riding gear.  I can't remember ever being out in colder than 5 or 6 degrees C.  

I don't mind the -35, the only problem is our roads are completely covered in ice.

Not that I'm complaining

2015-01-07 6:10 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by marcag

I don't mind the -35, the only problem is our roads are completely covered in ice. Not that I'm complaining

Yeah, Marc - that is actually what I figured: it would be the generally crumby road conditions that kept off them more than the temps. Here we hardly ever get cold and wet together at the same time. And on the rare occasion that we do it warms up (and or rains) quickly enough to clean it up nicely.

2015-01-07 6:12 PM

Master
, California

Matt

I did a ~30 mile ride a few years back called Chilly Hilly which is on Bainbridge Island near Seattle.  It was February, I got snowed on.  Then I took the ferry back and found my car had been towed.  So I got to ride another 15 miles or so to the towing yard.  I think dollars spent per hour of misery was higher than Tahoe

2015-01-07 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Today's lunchtime "business" group ride kicked off the winter season, and the temp when we rolled out was 31 degrees Farenheit. I was hoping it would be AT LEAST a full -1c, but ah, well. The wind was a steady 15mph, so that counts for something right? I know that is what most of you ride into early July or so, but that is pretty chilly for these parts and will keep a lot of folks around here off the road. I actually like those temps as it is at least easy to dress for - not like the 40s.... I will ride down to around 20F/-6c but pull the plug colder than that - it is so rare that I just have never invested in the clothing for it. What is the coldest you all are willing (or at least prepared) to ride your rodie?

Tonight run was ez @11 degrees 20 mph wind = -8 wind chill and the 31st run of 100/100

The coldest bike was around 28 degrees sunny and about 1 hour. That was several years ago.

Tomorrows am run will be colder.

2015-01-07 7:21 PM

Master
Northern IL

Matt

You will ride near zero F???  Damn that's hard core.

As for a max, I haven't a clue, I've never found myself in a situation where it was too hot to ride.

Haven't really tried going that cold. Did get a couple in the 20's. Temps moved through the ride, 3-4 hour rides if I'm remembering right. Numerous not really creek crossings so much as underpass flooding. The path follows a small river and they go under the roadways. Feet went under a lot. A few spots had standing water sections with a thin ice layer on top I rode through (not on). The most annoying section was up at the north end of it. Some people had ridden their horses there while the ground was soft and the hoof prints froze solid. Lots of annoying chatter coming from that.

2015-01-07 7:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

Matt

Matt - I will run or ride in any temp heat wise. I have proven to be very heat tolerant over the years (one of the perks of being small along with spending my summers in Alabama cotton fields) and actually really like racing and training in the heat and humidity. I know that tolerance is supposed to fade somewhat as we get older and every summer I am afraid that "well, this is it!" but so far so good. Our summers have not been so bad the last couple of years (more rain than heat) but in 2012 we had a heatwave roll through in late July, just before IM Lake Placid. I rode an organized century in which the roll-out temp in the morning was 93 degrees and the max temp during the ride was 111. Fairly flat for around here with only about 4200' of climbing I think, and I made it around in 5:07 including all the rest stops, of which there were many for fluids. I remember chugging 3 Coca-Colas at the end and thinking I had never had anything in the world that tasted so good. The next weekend it had "cooled off to 98 degrees" and I did my last pre-race brick before IMLP: 80 miles and 7500' of climbing, then 2 hours of running mountain trails. We planned that one to start and end at one of our mountain river put-ins, and I floated around in the water for about an hour waiting for everyone else to come in. And Oh yeah, both weekends the humidity was about a gajillion percent. Those two back-to-back training weekends are amongst most most memorable of late - makes me almost-but-not-quite miss Ironman training.

Starting at about mid 80's it depends on my mood. The amount I have to back off is so ridiculous I've tended to stay in more. Maybe for something really short if I want to get outside, but nothing bigger or harder.

2015-01-07 7:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Very smart! I really thought about switching my run from tomorrow to today as well, but really wanted to be able to jump on this particular group ride one more time before school starts - I won't get a chance again before the spring due to my work schedule, which is too bad, because they have all kinds of funny point categories through the winter and awesome prizes at the end.

Now I am going to be running tomorrow when it is 13F/-10c ("feels like" 5F/-15c) But hey - at least the sun is supposed to be out!

As much I'll keep running through the colder weather, I'll still watch for when it could get serious fast. Tomorrow morning is looking like -13F. I'd already scheduled for inside, but if it was outside I'd want to be real sure I could get through the run ok. If something was hurt and I had to walk, would I still be ok? For an example. Some discomfort from being a little chilly is one thing, but some of this could cause real damage rather quick.

2015-01-07 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I had a tempo run today and it was -10F with the windchill. I started out into the headwind and my watering eyes actually started to freeze shut which is a first! At that point I could have turned around but am a glutton for punishment I guess. The tailwind was much better thankfully. For cycling, 35 degrees F is about my limit, assuming light winds.
2015-01-07 8:43 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Marc (or anybody else that has an idea) I know we are faster when it is warm and humid than we are when it is cold and dry. how much of that (generally) is attributed to air density, clothing, and/or the fact that we get fat and out of shape in the winter?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).