BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-01-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by rrrunner

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I have a couple of pairs of tights with the fleece layer in them (one adidas, one under armor)  - very nice and cozy and for the extra cold days i will wear a pair of wind pants over them. Those aren't too frequent but a good option when you've signed up for an early season race and still have to do long runs in stupidly cold weather. 

2016-01-04 10:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'm in!  And I'll try to do better about posting in here, I get side-tracked easil... ooh, look - SHINY!!  

NAME: Monica / blueyedbikergirl

STORY: I'm a former gymnast/basketball player/beach volleyball player turned sedentary during my 1st marriage and then found triathlons shortly after getting divorced, which changed my life for the better in SO many ways.  WOOT!  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 fur kids - 2 cute little furry jerks/elephants aka the cats.  Felix is a completely neurotic ginger kitty whom we also affectionately call the Ginger Loaf as he's about as smart as a loaf of bread.  Priscilla aka Miss Priss aka Attention who is the prettiest little kitty you ever did see, but also a MASSIVE diva and if you have a free hand (or better, two), you'd better be using them to give her some attention.  And our rescue pitt/vizsla mix who is extremely cute and loves EVERYTHING and desperately wants to be the bestest of lifelong friends ever in the whole wide world with the cats... who definitely do NOT share this viewpoint.  I'll give Brisket this... she's persistent, if not very bright.  

CURRENT TRAINING: IM training!  (Be Ironfit competitive plan

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Galveston 70.3 & IMTX, past that, I'll probably throw in a bunch of sprints where I can/want to... and dabbling with the idea in my mind of a late year IM... maybe.  

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to be consistent in my training & to have FUN!

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The fact that I'm not right in the head & that my whole goal in life is to ENJOY it, and hopefully put a smile on someone else's face.  I'm not in the thread as often as I should be, and I promise to work on that, but I LOVE to inspire people.  :D 

2016-01-04 10:37 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

This is what I have for the roster so far.  Please feel free to correct me!

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Needs to post bio: Kevin (microdoc), Robin (ceilidh)

MIA: Yaniti, Melanie, Mary S, Monica, Laura, Tom A, Randee, Steve

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten!

Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)
2016-01-04 10:39 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

Running in pants? Never heard of it.
2016-01-04 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

2016-01-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

I have a couple of pairs of tights with the fleece layer in them (one adidas, one under armor)  - very nice and cozy and for the extra cold days i will wear a pair of wind pants over them. Those aren't too frequent but a good option when you've signed up for an early season race and still have to do long runs in stupidly cold weather. 

It sounds like you speak from experience!

2016-01-04 10:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

NAME: TJ

STORY: I am 48 and have been running, off and on, for most of my life.  I got more serious about it about 10 years ago when work implemented tougher fitness standards. Then in 2010 my SIL talked me in to training with her for a sprit tri and I was hooked (it was her first and only). I did many tri's including sprints, olympics and one HIM (Oceanside). Last year I was run focused and pretty much still am for the immediate future. Like some of the others I'm preferring off-road stuff but my MTB just isn't solid enough to attempt an Xterra tri yet.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two amazing adult sons. One living with us and going to school, one in the US Navy. Three dogs, one of which is my #1 running partner, and two cats
CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for my first ultra so I run... lots
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Right now I'm signed up for Ragnar Del Sol and Baker to Vegas (both are team relays), and, of course, Behind the Rocks 50k in early April!!!!!

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I enjoy running and cycling, they keep me sane(ish). Swimming I tolerate because it's part of tri. I love the friends I've met through tri and I love that it gives me an opportunity to give to others through Team RWB.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE:  Good question... Idon'tlikepoptartsornutella but I do have dogs and cats, and I like beer

2016-01-04 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Name - cdban66/Chris/DubSix

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A number of years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose, I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Walt Disney World, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I try to race a few times a year. This year I move up into the 50-54 male AG and I'd like to see a few improvements this season.

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 49 yr old male and I've been married for over 28 years. I have 2 girls, ages 25 and 27. My wife, Ann or TW (THE Wife), is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: My primary focus right now is running, as I prep for a HM in February. I enjoy riding with my LBS group and have taken a bike mechanic class as well. I have built a fixed gear and a hardtail MTB, in addition to having a older Fuji road bike and a fairly new Jamis TT. I need to find a better focus for swim training. (This is the part where Janyne rolls her eyes and yells at me, mutters something about masters, and mentions that I have said this for the past 3 years).

LAST YEAR: The past few years have been somewhat skinny on racing, or should I say participating. I did a couple of races, but family/work/church obligations (there were many) took precedence, as they always do. My hope is to see time improvements from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2015 RACES: I PR'd my HM (the same one I am currently training for) and saw improvements in the couple of sprint tris that I did during the summer.

2016 GOALS: I am currently working through a plan for my HM, which is my primary run race this year. After that I hope to do about 3 or 4 sprint tris in the summer, maybe more if things go well. I have a number of them in the possibilities list and need to get things narrowed down a bit in the next few weeks

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MANATEE: I am not the fastest, but I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I read logs for info and motivation, post a bit and you will likely receive an "Inspire" or 2 from me every now and again.

2016-01-04 10:44 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten! Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)

Well, not forgotten because I see you on Strava all the time but I wasn't sure that you wanted to be in the group so yeah, POST MORE!

2016-01-04 10:56 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
NAME: Sean
STORY: Good at math (engineer - for now, sweating more layoffs in the oil patch). I played lots of sports growing up, including summer swim team from age 5-17, but decided to stick with basketball when I got to high school. Graduated college, got fat, had a kid, realized I got fat, started getting active. Saw a local triathlon in my neighborhood in fall of 2014 and said to myself "I can do this!", then went home and told my wife I was going to do an Ironman.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys ages 3 & 5, & a 9 year old black lab.
CURRENT TRAINING: LOTS. Just started base 2 of 3 (then 2 builds) for IMTX.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMTX, will probably do an olympic leading up to IMTX. Will probably take a break then do some sprints in the fall.
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Would like to lose 5 lbs of fat before IMTX, the heat can be real. Stretch goal is sub 11 hrs, will be disappointed if I don't break 12.
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have an obsessive/compulsive personality!
2016-01-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

NAME: TJ

STORY: I am 48 and have been running, off and on, for most of my life.  I got more serious about it about 10 years ago when work implemented tougher fitness standards. Then in 2010 my SIL talked me in to training with her for a sprit tri and I was hooked (it was her first and only). I did many tri's including sprints, olympics and one HIM (Oceanside). Last year I was run focused and pretty much still am for the immediate future. Like some of the others I'm preferring off-road stuff but my MTB just isn't solid enough to attempt an Xterra tri yet.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two amazing adult sons. One living with us and going to school, one in the US Navy. Three dogs, one of which is my #1 running partner, and two cats
CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for my first ultra so I run... lots
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Right now I'm signed up for Ragnar Del Sol and Baker to Vegas (both are team relays), and, of course, Behind the Rocks 50k in early April!!!!!

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I enjoy running and cycling, they keep me sane(ish). Swimming I tolerate because it's part of tri. I love the friends I've met through tri and I love that it gives me an opportunity to give to others through Team RWB.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE:  Good question... Idon'tlikepoptartsornutella but I do have dogs and cats, and I like beer

Me either and I'm not afraid to say it  Ok, I may be a little bit afraid to say it!

Edited by amd723 2016-01-04 10:57 AM

2016-01-04 10:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

2016-01-04 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

I abstain from voting

Well, I am voting from Florida, and it has been proven to be a challenge here.

2016-01-04 11:17 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

NAME: Sean
STORY: Good at math (engineer - for now, sweating more layoffs in the oil patch). I played lots of sports growing up, including summer swim team from age 5-17, but decided to stick with basketball when I got to high school. Graduated college, got fat, had a kid, realized I got fat, started getting active. Saw a local triathlon in my neighborhood in fall of 2014 and said to myself "I can do this!", then went home and told my wife I was going to do an Ironman.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys ages 3 & 5, & a 9 year old black lab.
CURRENT TRAINING: LOTS. Just started base 2 of 3 (then 2 builds) for IMTX.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMTX, will probably do an olympic leading up to IMTX. Will probably take a break then do some sprints in the fall.
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Would like to lose 5 lbs of fat before IMTX, the heat can be real. Stretch goal is sub 11 hrs, will be disappointed if I don't break 12.
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have an obsessive/compulsive personality!

Nice, someone else from the Houston area and in the oil/gas industry as well.
2016-01-04 11:36 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Cypress, Texas
Just sent a Strava request as well. Haven't used it much in the past, but I saw how many people are on there so that should keep me better motivated.
2016-01-04 11:39 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Active Manatees:

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten!

Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)

Sean, where do you go for your Masters?

I can also second the 920. I barely got mine around Thanksgiving time and haven't gotten many swims in, but so far it's been accurate on the lap/distance count.

2016-01-04 11:49 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by tomsimper

Hi Guys, I am so pleased to be in this group with so many experienced people, hopefully I won't be too annoying with all the stupid questions!

Annoying stupid questions are the best
2016-01-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Wow, that is cold!!  I guess winter has finally arrived on the east coast!  I can't help you on the cold weather tight suggestion - although it will be in the 40*s tomorrow morning for my run.  Woo Hoo!!

I enjoyed spring this winter season in Chicago and now it hit with cold and snow. And it is supposed to be even colder... Brrr... down to 17 F/-8 C next week.
2016-01-04 11:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by Lighttower

I think I will buy a 310XT, if it does not work in the pool I will get a Garmin Swim, I like the idea of having 2 cheaper watches instead of one expensive one. I hope the batteries are replaceable. But I still need to do some research.

The Garmin Swim batteries last me about a year and were easy to replace.   I got the Swim because I had a 310 at the time and I wanted to record swims and didn't want to shell out the big bucks for a 910XT.  The 310 eventually died so I replaced it but I have continue to use the Swim in the pool.

I think that Randee uses the Swim as well.  Robin, what do you use in the pool?

I was using my Garmin 910 until it died last month. It was my friend for 4 years and I loved it. It didn't have a "Drills" mode so it never registered my kick sets.

Now I have the 920 and love it even more! It does have a "Drill" mode so it gives me credit on my kick sets. Strava doesn't, but my Garmin does and downloads it into Training Peaks. The only thing I cant get it to do is tell me which number I'm on in a long set, for example if I have 20x150 how many I've completed. I have to resort to doing math and figure out the meters and that hurts my brain.
2016-01-04 11:59 AM

User image

If i run outside in the cold i usually wear a pair of CW-X capris under a pair of Asics pants. If it's going to be above 35 then i just go with the Asics.
2016-01-04 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by johnthecat Just sent a Strava request as well. Haven't used it much in the past, but I saw how many people are on there so that should keep me better motivated.

You are in!

2016-01-04 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by johnthecat

Sorry to hear about your Mom Laura. How is she doing now?

I ordered myself a custom Triathlon suit to raise awareness for GBS/CIDP. It came in after last years season. Can't wait to wear it in 2016. It's definitely not something a lot of people have heard about, even Doctors have no clue about it a lot of times.

Unfortunately my mum passed away about 12 years ago from CIDP related complications. She was on immuno-suppressant drugs to control the CIDP (IVIG didn't work for her - plasma-ferissis (sp?) did but she ended up with a blood clot, so they didn't want to continue with that). She got pneumonia and her body wasn't able to fight it.

After reading your storey yesterday, I googled and found that the GBS/CIDP support organization has a charity walk/roll each year, I've always wanted to organize one, so maybe I will contract them and get something going to honour my mother Very neat about the race kit.
2016-01-04 12:08 PM

User image

Hi everyone!

I was previously a member of Baowolf's winter training group, but thought I'd expand my reach to the Manatees this season!

NAME: David A

STORY: I'm on a long journey that started at 262lbs as a non-swimmer, smoker and couch potato roughly 2 years ago. Fast forward to today, I have completed a couple of events (with the largest being an Oly) and am at 194lbs. I have just undertaken the biggest challenge ever in my life, though... I have signed up for the Louisville IM later this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to an incredibly supportive wife, living just outside Boulder, CO. Oh, and I'm a Brit...

CURRENT TRAINING:
Mon: AM - swim drills
Tues: AM - run (7:30-8:00min/mile)
Weds: AM - swim (HIIT)
Thurs: AM - run (HIIT)
Fri: AM - long swim
Sat: AM - long run or brick
Sun: Rest day
I have yet to own a bike, but have just put down a deposit on a new Cervelo P2. Once I have this, I can start my cycling training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Louisville, KY Full Ironman (Oct 9th), Potentially Boulder Sunset Sprint/Oly to warm up

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To prove to myself that I can complete (in a good time) a challenge I thought I'd never be able to do.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have been a big journey, learning a lot along the way as well as peering into the vast chasms of information I have yet to learn. I'm sure I can help people when it comes to training, but will also be a great supporter and excellent listener to anyone with advice on my upcoming trials.

Looking forward to contributing to the group!

David
2016-01-04 12:09 PM

User image

Expert

Active Manatees:

LauraJ
2016-01-04 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

I abstain from voting

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 906 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.