BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by melbo55

For those that may not know, Janyne is racing in the Boston Marathon on Monday, 4/18.  Information on how to stalk track her is on her blog page.  She is one of our manatees that is very dedicated to sticking to her training plan and she consistently works hard to keep herself healthy and ready for events both by putting in the time and sweat to do the workouts, but also taking time to maintain her body with stretches, etc.  Somehow she still finds time to help Zoe not be such a 'teenager' and learn to be a well-behaved young adult. On top of all that, she helps keep us manatees informed and inspired.  

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

FTFY (orange being even faster).

Couldn't agree more!  Janyne, thank you for being such a big part of the "glue" that keeps the pod together. 

Now go CRUSH it!

Matt

Gooooooooooooo Janyne!!!!!!!! We will be stalking!!!

2016-04-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Mary S - Run as One 5k on Saturday
Steve - Fun with the Fuzz 5k on Saturday
Adrienne - Earth Day 15k on Saturday
Connor - Caveman Triathlon on Sunday
Markus - MS 150 on Saturday and Sunday
Justin - King Tut Sprint Triathlon on Sunday
Tom - Village Adventist Elementary 5k on Sunday
Janyne - Boston marathon on Monday

Disabled List
Judi - ankle  (partial DL, activity limited)

Good Luck Manatees!!! You can add me to the list of Racers too, I am doing Try a Tri Indy on Saturday. I am hoping this race jump starts my motivation to train more. I have really been struggling lately.
2016-04-15 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

Wow, look at that racing list!!

GO RACERS GO!!

Continue healing Judi!

2016-04-15 1:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas
My two day bike ride just got cut down to one due to the expected bad weather on Sunday. I guess I can go a little harder now on Saturday.

It will still be a lot of fun. 10000 + riders expected.
2016-04-15 1:39 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Anyone ever race in a downpour? I just picked up my race packet for Sunday and as long as there's no lightning we're a go. Forecast shows 100% rain and it looks like it's going to be real nasty out.
2016-04-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by emcmino

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

Good Luck Manatees!!! You can add me to the list of Racers too, I am doing Try a Tri Indy on Saturday. I am hoping this race jump starts my motivation to train more. I have really been struggling lately.

Try a Tri sounds like fun what distance?
Good luck!!!

2016-04-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Go racers! Janyne we are with you!!! I am doing the ABQ iteration of Run as One. It's an RWB thing. I think mine will be less wintry than Mary's
2016-04-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by johnthecat

My two day bike ride just got cut down to one due to the expected bad weather on Sunday. I guess I can go a little harder now on Saturday.

It will still be a lot of fun. 10000 + riders expected.

10,000+??? Wow!!!
2016-04-15 2:14 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by brigby1

At the current time, the race starts at 2200 (10 pm for Hands} on the 29th of July, The cut off time is, I believe but have to check this, midnight, Turkish time 14 days later. So I think that gives me either 15 days and 1 hour, or 14 days and 1 hour. Again, I need to check this. My aim is to reach the finishing party held at the cut off time, possibly with a two day buffer. So, 12 days to cover about 2400 miles and about 190,000 feet of climbing. Or, about 200 miles a day. This will have to be more on the "flatter" sections to allow for the "lumpy" sections. But, best case, if we're allowed 15 days, it could allow me to ride 160 miles a day.

Ref tubeless, I'm not going tubeless, so no, I won't be bringing any spares. The tyres are good for about 8000-10000 miles, so should out last the race, unless I get seriously lost. There is no air chamber in the tyre, seen here: 

rather, they are a solid foam rubber construction held onto the wheel by pins. Therefore, I won't need the pump, spares etc I've heard some good things about them so far and there are a few people sticking the 23 mm option on their race wheels for competing in short distance tri's, where a flat means the end of the race.

I don't really have much to add to the tech part of things. With what you're looking at, think it's more that you need to make sure that it's implemented well and that you understand it.  Just keep in mind that people do put in thousands of miles on bikes with more basic solutions than what you're looking at just by doing well with the upkeep.

I'm also curious about the food for this. Don't remember if you said. That 175 mile ride I did had an estimate of 7,000 calories burned. You're notably smaller than I am, but will be carrying a bit more on the bike and will have a lot more climbing. Both slowing you back down, making the day take longer. It wouldn't surprise me if you're burning 5,000 a day. That's a lot of food if you're not familiar with it.

I think it will be about 10,000 per day. Will be traveling a lot slower than a typical race and stopping to eat. For what it's worth, last year riders reported an average weight loss of 28 lbs for the race. To that end, it will give me an excuse to go in to the race a little bit on the frumpy side :} 

Reading blogs of riders from last year, they tended to eat BIG about 4/5 times a day. Lots of Mcdonald's with 2 meals with milkshake. Lots of 12 inch pizza, 1 to eat, 1 to fold in half and take with you. Lots of croissants. Lots of donner kebabs. Basically any food with a high calorie content..

That eating plan is about what I expected. Still, as much as possible, eat better quality food as you'll get more out of it. Calls to mind something on Phelps' eating. He had pizza a fair number of times a week just because no one is eating that much tofu. Still need something to burn even if it's not always the best.

I don't know if you'll actually get to 10,000, but it would be a good idea of how to do it. Think what I said before is on the low end. That is a TON of food if it's never been added up before. Over here, the thicker frozen pizzas tend to be not quite 2,000 each. So 5 of those in a day gets close. When really active a couple years ago, I was actually getting 4,000-5,000/day every day all the time. It was 3 solid meals plus 3 snacks that some would consider small meals plus whatever I had during the rides. Wish I had some efficiency numbers as it would be possible to convert around to the power to burn that much. At 100%, the 10,000 would mean riding at ~174 for 16 hrs.

in reply to: marysia83

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by emcmino

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

Try a Tri sounds like fun what distance?
Good luck!!!

I am doing the short one which is 150 yd swim (pool) 10 mile bike and 2 mile run. There is a longer one that is double that, but I am not ready to run 4 miles yet.
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook Anyone ever race in a downpour? I just picked up my race packet for Sunday and as long as there's no lightning we're a go. Forecast shows 100% rain and it looks like it's going to be real nasty out.

yes, and it can be interesting.

2016-04-15 2:18 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

Lots of Manatee racers again this weekend!!! Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016-04-15 2:20 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Go Eric!

Go TJ!

2016-04-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Eric
TJ

Disabled List

Look at all those racing manatees! GOOOOOOO!!!  Good luck, be safe, and have fun to all!  Looking forward to all the race reports.

Judi - keep on healing!  It's good to see the DL shrinking.

And now I have "King Tut" with Steve Martin stuck in my head, thanks Justin.

Edited by melbo55 2016-04-15 2:28 PM
2016-04-15 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

So many racing Manatees. Go go go go go!!!
Judi, I hope your home PT helps you heal. Stay strong!
2016-04-15 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

Good luck racing Manatees!

2016-04-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

For those that may not know, Janyne is racing in the Boston Marathon on Monday, 4/18.  Information on how to stalk track her is on her blog page.  She is one of our manatees that is very dedicated to sticking to her training plan and she consistently works hard to keep herself healthy and ready for events both by putting in the time and sweat to do the workouts, but also taking time to maintain her body with stretches, etc.  Somehow she still finds time to help Zoe not be such a 'teenager' and learn to be a well-behaved young adult. On top of all that, she helps keep us manatees informed and inspired.  

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

Thanks for posting this Melanie. I am always impressed by Janyne's commitment and discipline. Not only to her training and her family, but to our lives as well.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO Janyne!!!

2016-04-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Eric
TJ

Disabled List

Look at all those racing manatees! GOOOOOOO!!!  Good luck, be safe, and have fun to all!  Looking forward to all the race reports.

haha, classic! Good luck to all the racers this weekend!
2016-04-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

At the current time, the race starts at 2200 (10 pm for Hands} on the 29th of July, The cut off time is, I believe but have to check this, midnight, Turkish time 14 days later. So I think that gives me either 15 days and 1 hour, or 14 days and 1 hour. Again, I need to check this. My aim is to reach the finishing party held at the cut off time, possibly with a two day buffer. So, 12 days to cover about 2400 miles and about 190,000 feet of climbing. Or, about 200 miles a day. This will have to be more on the "flatter" sections to allow for the "lumpy" sections. But, best case, if we're allowed 15 days, it could allow me to ride 160 miles a day.

Ref tubeless, I'm not going tubeless, so no, I won't be bringing any spares. The tyres are good for about 8000-10000 miles, so should out last the race, unless I get seriously lost. There is no air chamber in the tyre, seen here: 

rather, they are a solid foam rubber construction held onto the wheel by pins. Therefore, I won't need the pump, spares etc I've heard some good things about them so far and there are a few people sticking the 23 mm option on their race wheels for competing in short distance tri's, where a flat means the end of the race.

I don't really have much to add to the tech part of things. With what you're looking at, think it's more that you need to make sure that it's implemented well and that you understand it.  Just keep in mind that people do put in thousands of miles on bikes with more basic solutions than what you're looking at just by doing well with the upkeep.

I'm also curious about the food for this. Don't remember if you said. That 175 mile ride I did had an estimate of 7,000 calories burned. You're notably smaller than I am, but will be carrying a bit more on the bike and will have a lot more climbing. Both slowing you back down, making the day take longer. It wouldn't surprise me if you're burning 5,000 a day. That's a lot of food if you're not familiar with it.

I think it will be about 10,000 per day. Will be traveling a lot slower than a typical race and stopping to eat. For what it's worth, last year riders reported an average weight loss of 28 lbs for the race. To that end, it will give me an excuse to go in to the race a little bit on the frumpy side :} 

Reading blogs of riders from last year, they tended to eat BIG about 4/5 times a day. Lots of Mcdonald's with 2 meals with milkshake. Lots of 12 inch pizza, 1 to eat, 1 to fold in half and take with you. Lots of croissants. Lots of donner kebabs. Basically any food with a high calorie content..

That eating plan is about what I expected. Still, as much as possible, eat better quality food as you'll get more out of it. Calls to mind something on Phelps' eating. He had pizza a fair number of times a week just because no one is eating that much tofu. Still need something to burn even if it's not always the best.

I don't know if you'll actually get to 10,000, but it would be a good idea of how to do it. Think what I said before is on the low end. That is a TON of food if it's never been added up before. Over here, the thicker frozen pizzas tend to be not quite 2,000 each. So 5 of those in a day gets close. When really active a couple years ago, I was actually getting 4,000-5,000/day every day all the time. It was 3 solid meals plus 3 snacks that some would consider small meals plus whatever I had during the rides. Wish I had some efficiency numbers as it would be possible to convert around to the power to burn that much. At 100%, the 10,000 would mean riding at ~174 for 16 hrs.

I dunno...In all of the big endurance events I have done I have eaten pretty damn normally. I mean, sure, a little more and yeah it is good to eat those easily digestible, high calories foods but I really don't see any reason to go nuts. I really don't think you need to try and break even so to speak with the calories burnt. 

2016-04-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Tomorrows race will be a last minute call for me. My stomach has felt like someone punched me right in the gut all week. I took 3 days of running completely of. For any of you who follow my logs, that is a pretty big deal. It still hurts to run but it's much better than it was. So, we shall see! 

2016-04-15 4:09 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Eric
TJ

Disabled List

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!  Justin, will you be crossing the finish line with the Tut Strut??

Hope that ankle fully heals up soon, Judi.

As others have said, thanks, Janyne, for all you do to keep the Pod in the loop.  You rock!

Looks like my Run as One (as TJ mentioned, it's a Team RWB thing) may end up being the Snowball Fight as One instead. If that happens, it's sure to be EPIC!! (Chris, I picked that adjective just for you ) Rain is supposed to start tonight, then turn to snow around midnight.  Projections are 2-4 FEET in the western suburbs and foothills with 6-14 inches downtown by Sunday.  I live near downtown and the race so I should be able to get there.  If conditions are good enough, I'll fling some snow around, then run 5-6 miles.  I'll break out all the cold/wet weather gear I accumulated for my HM training this winter. It'll be a big change from earlier this week when it was in the 70s though....

I'm a bit behind on my training this week because I haven't been feeling so good.  I started vision therapy on Wednesday, which caused my nausea and headaches to kick up.  I tried running Wednesday afternoon. It didn't go so well.  I had planned on 6 miles but only managed 5 and walked the last 1.5.  Once I start retching, that's all she wrote.  Ugh.  At least I'm finally doing the vision therapy.  The flare-up tells me that we're addressing what needs to be addressed, even though it sucks.  I'm approaching it like training--starting slow so I don't overdo it right away. I'm starting to ride outside now that the weather is nice (this weekend notwithstanding!!) and I'm finding that to be good visual stimulation as well.  I did a 16.5-mile ride last week and was totally exhausted afterward.  It was more than the usual physical tiredness from a ride--I could hardly stay awake on the drive home.  Hard to believe that just seeing everything going by faster could be so challenging but it is.  Hopefully between that and the vision therapy, I'll see some real improvement soon.

Have a fun weekend, everybody.  Stay safe, keep the rubber side down, and keep being your fabulous Manatee selves!!  (((Hugs)))

2016-04-15 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17

Disabled List

Judi I hope your ankle gets better soon.

To all those racers (including TJ and Eric) I hope you have a fantastic time. Remember to smile this is FUN!
2016-04-15 4:53 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Eric
TJ

Disabled List

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!  Justin, will you be crossing the finish line with the Tut Strut??

Hope that ankle fully heals up soon, Judi.

As others have said, thanks, Janyne, for all you do to keep the Pod in the loop.  You rock!

Looks like my Run as One (as TJ mentioned, it's a Team RWB thing) may end up being the Snowball Fight as One instead. If that happens, it's sure to be EPIC!! (Chris, I picked that adjective just for you ) Rain is supposed to start tonight, then turn to snow around midnight.  Projections are 2-4 FEET in the western suburbs and foothills with 6-14 inches downtown by Sunday.  I live near downtown and the race so I should be able to get there.  If conditions are good enough, I'll fling some snow around, then run 5-6 miles.  I'll break out all the cold/wet weather gear I accumulated for my HM training this winter. It'll be a big change from earlier this week when it was in the 70s though....

I'm a bit behind on my training this week because I haven't been feeling so good.  I started vision therapy on Wednesday, which caused my nausea and headaches to kick up.  I tried running Wednesday afternoon. It didn't go so well.  I had planned on 6 miles but only managed 5 and walked the last 1.5.  Once I start retching, that's all she wrote.  Ugh.  At least I'm finally doing the vision therapy.  The flare-up tells me that we're addressing what needs to be addressed, even though it sucks.  I'm approaching it like training--starting slow so I don't overdo it right away. I'm starting to ride outside now that the weather is nice (this weekend notwithstanding!!) and I'm finding that to be good visual stimulation as well.  I did a 16.5-mile ride last week and was totally exhausted afterward.  It was more than the usual physical tiredness from a ride--I could hardly stay awake on the drive home.  Hard to believe that just seeing everything going by faster could be so challenging but it is.  Hopefully between that and the vision therapy, I'll see some real improvement soon.

Have a fun weekend, everybody.  Stay safe, keep the rubber side down, and keep being your fabulous Manatee selves!!  (((Hugs)))

Mary I'm so glad that you have finally gotten to start your vision therapy I hope it help fix what Evers been going on with your eyes.
2016-04-15 6:13 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I dunno...In all of the big endurance events I have done I have eaten pretty damn normally. I mean, sure, a little more and yeah it is good to eat those easily digestible, high calories foods but I really don't see any reason to go nuts. I really don't think you need to try and break even so to speak with the calories burnt. 

That's a good point to clarify. I haven't actually meant to go nuts with it. The latter part was more to show how nuts 10k actually is. Probably going to eat somewhat more, but I'm not sure how the body will handle all the sudden doubling the food intake.That can cause its own problems and likely won't end up matching nor should that be a goal. Mostly being more conscious that a lot is going on.

2016-04-15 6:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Pull-Ups done: 4

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.