BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-14 8:40 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Prompted by a query from Chris as to how my prep' for the trans' con' race is coming along, I thought I'd put a post on here for your perusal. I'll split the post up in to separate categories. Feel free to chime in with any advice.

{lots of good stuff deleted to keep this from getting way to long, scroll up as needed ;-) }

What an adventure!

How long do you expect to be on the road?  (I may have follow up questions from here!)

For the tubeless, bringing a spare tire?

At the current time, the race starts at 2200 (10 pm for Hands} on the 29th of July, The cut off time is, I believe but have to check this, midnight, Turkish time 14 days later. So I think that gives me either 15 days and 1 hour, or 14 days and 1 hour. Again, I need to check this. My aim is to reach the finishing party held at the cut off time, possibly with a two day buffer. So, 12 days to cover about 2400 miles and about 190,000 feet of climbing. Or, about 200 miles a day. This will have to be more on the "flatter" sections to allow for the "lumpy" sections. But, best case, if we're allowed 15 days, it could allow me to ride 160 miles a day.

Ref tubeless, I'm not going tubeless, so no, I won't be bringing any spares. The tyres are good for about 8000-10000 miles, so should out last the race, unless I get seriously lost. There is no air chamber in the tyre, seen here:

rather, they are a solid foam rubber construction held onto the wheel by pins. Therefore, I won't need the pump, spares etc I've heard some good things about them so far and there are a few people sticking the 23 mm option on their race wheels for competing in short distance tri's, where a flat means the end of the race.

2016-04-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by DaveL Im not going to quote the whole thing but will at my 2cents based primarily on multiday offroad motorcycle and whitewater kayak trips. Sleeping Bivys are great as they are small, light and have no set up. Just be sure you arent claustrophobic- you might want to opt for one with a small frame that gets it off your face. I would also recommend a small silnylon tarp to go over the bivy. Sleeping in a bivy in the pouring rain with each drop pelting your body makes for a sleepless night. For a sleeping pad I would recommend a good full coverage one. The ultralite short skeleton style ones are nice and light but will not be as comfortable (despite what they say) and you will likely need and appreciate a good night sleep after the mileage you are putting in. Be sure to bring the patch kit. Sleeping bag - Go with down - everyone will tell you that down is terrible if it does get wet but those are the people that have never slept in a wet synthetic bag, its just as bad! Synthetic is easier to dry but the key is to just not get it wet. Down will pack down smaller in a compression bag. Tires. Tubeless is great, fill it with stans notubes goop and you should be good to go. With that said I would still carry a CO2, levers and tube just incase.even if the ride offers sag support you could end up at the side of the road waiting for a long time. I would also go with a slightly larger tire at a lower pressure to make the ride a little more comfortable. Gears I would look at your gear inches. I went from a triple up front to a double on the CX and with a slightly smaller chain ring (34 from a 36) have almost the same low gearing. Given your distances, hills and the fact that you are carrying gear I would go as low as you can go but I know that you know that. brakes I really like my BB7's they are easy to adjust and the breaking and modulation is great. Mechnanicals are generally pretty good so if something doesnt feel right I would try adjusting them again or bring it in. Going to hydro really is set it and forget it so if you can go with those Di2 levers I would do that unless it limits you in your gearing selection. Bike That TI looks great but I am sure the aluminum will work just fine as well. I would add a carbon fork and seat post. Forget about carbon bars - if you happen to drop the loaded bike that could be the end of those carbon bars. Panniers - I would look for the roll top dry bag style ones - they really are 100% waterproof

Sleeping

I used to be in the Army, so have slept many a night under the stars in a bivy. Was contemplating a lightweight tarp but instead will seek cover from other means (bus shelters, church porches, barns etc a lot of people slept at petrol stations and used the canopy as cover. I know I can sleep on a chickens lip when I'm tired.}. Have got a sleep mat, hadn't thought about the patch kit, still, contemplating just taking a sheet of bubble wrap instead. Not taking a sleeping bag, choose the jacket instead because it will be multi use ie put on under jacket on the long descents. This will be summer in Europe so once I get through the Alps it's likely to be around 35-40 deg C, so won't need it so much. We're not allowed to jettison/post items back, so the option of getting rid of kit on route is out.

Tyres

As posted earlier, I'm not running tubeless now, but a solid tyre. They are equivalent to running about 90 psi.

Gears and Brakes

I think there's not enough free movement in the bend of handlebars when I set it up. Anyway, I'm def' going to use the Hydro instead. Shouldn't affect my gear choice. I'm contemplating a 28/44 ring up front or the 30/46 option with the 32 at the back. Need to check with some gear calcs to see which would be more suitable.

Frame

Yeah, I'm def' considering the Ti for next year, that's why I don't mind spending on the di2 for a cheap (£95} frame. Oh, and that came with a carbon fork :}

Panniers

I'm not using racks, so am sticking to the bike packing type setup, adipura style

2016-04-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Darren I have no advice or feedback, since I'm a complete biking noob. But I cannot wait to see how this adventure unfolds for you. Sounds so awesome!! The ultimate DOOOO EEEEEET!
2016-04-14 10:05 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Prompted by a query from Chris as to how my prep' for the trans' con' race is coming along, I thought I'd put a post on here for your perusal. I'll split the post up in to separate categories. Feel free to chime in with any advice.

{lots of good stuff deleted to keep this from getting way to long, scroll up as needed ;-) }

What an adventure!

How long do you expect to be on the road?  (I may have follow up questions from here!)

At the current time, the race starts at 2200 (10 pm for Hands} on the 29th of July, The cut off time is, I believe but have to check this, midnight, Turkish time 14 days later. So I think that gives me either 15 days and 1 hour, or 14 days and 1 hour. Again, I need to check this. My aim is to reach the finishing party held at the cut off time, possibly with a two day buffer. So, 12 days to cover about 2400 miles and about 190,000 feet of climbing. Or, about 200 miles a day. This will have to be more on the "flatter" sections to allow for the "lumpy" sections. But, best case, if we're allowed 15 days, it could allow me to ride 160 miles a day.

Wow, just wow!  That will truly be 'epic' and quite an adventure, I can't wait to hear all about it!

2016-04-14 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

[

What an adventure!

Thanks for saving me the calculation!!

This sounds like an amazing adventure! Like everyone else, I can't wait to hear about it. 

2016-04-14 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

What an adventure!

Ref tubeless, I'm not going tubeless, so no, I won't be bringing any spares. The tyres are good for about 8000-10000 miles, so should out last the race, unless I get seriously lost. There is no air chamber in the tyre, seen here:

rather, they are a solid foam rubber construction held onto the wheel by pins. Therefore, I won't need the pump, spares etc I've heard some good things about them so far and there are a few people sticking the 23 mm option on their race wheels for competing in short distance tri's, where a flat means the end of the race.

This whole thing is awesome, Darren.  Good luck in all of this.  Also, I've been eyeballing those tires for a while.  I thought about buying a set for my "for funzies" single speed.

2016-04-14 11:56 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Atlantia

On Monday I swam 1700 yards straight, and then I did it again today. This was one part getting the "can I do the distance nonstop?" monkey off my back, one part "I am too lazy to think of a workout."
It went well. That is all.

Great job!
2016-04-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by Atlantia On Monday I swam 1700 yards straight, and then I did it again today. This was one part getting the "can I do the distance nonstop?" monkey off my back, one part "I am too lazy to think of a workout." It went well. That is all.
Great job!

Great Job indeed!!

2016-04-14 1:36 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

What an adventure!

This whole thing is awesome, Darren.  Good luck in all of this.  Also, I've been eyeballing those tires for a while.  I thought about buying a set for my "for funzies" single speed.

Almost unspeakably cool, the whole thing!

Laura, great going on the continuous swim.  Nice to hop in the water with confidence!

Matt

2016-04-14 5:24 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by melbo55

What an adventure!

Wow, just wow!  That will truly be 'epic' and quite an adventure, I can't wait to hear all about it!

the whole thing is so cool don't forget to stop and take pictures for us

And of course you know if your tyres are orange they go faster, isn't that right Matt and Salty?
2016-04-15 9:23 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

For those that may not know, Janyne is racing in the Boston Marathon on Monday, 4/18.  Information on how to stalk track her is on her blog page.  She is one of our manatees that is very dedicated to sticking to her training plan and she consistently works hard to keep herself healthy and ready for events both by putting in the time and sweat to do the workouts, but also taking time to maintain her body with stretches, etc.  Somehow she still finds time to help Zoe not be such a 'teenager' and learn to be a well-behaved young adult. On top of all that, she helps keep us manatees informed and inspired.  

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

2016-04-15 9:29 AM

Master
Northern IL

I don't really have much to add to the tech part of things. With what you're looking at, think it's more that you need to make sure that it's implemented well and that you understand it.  Just keep in mind that people do put in thousands of miles on bikes with more basic solutions than what you're looking at just by doing well with the upkeep.

I'm also curious about the food for this. Don't remember if you said. That 175 mile ride I did had an estimate of 7,000 calories burned. You're notably smaller than I am, but will be carrying a bit more on the bike and will have a lot more climbing. Both slowing you back down, making the day take longer. It wouldn't surprise me if you're burning 5,000 a day. That's a lot of food if you're not familiar with it.

2016-04-15 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

For those that may not know, Janyne is racing in the Boston Marathon on Monday, 4/18.  Information on how to stalk track her is on her blog page.  She is one of our manatees that is very dedicated to sticking to her training plan and she consistently works hard to keep herself healthy and ready for events both by putting in the time and sweat to do the workouts, but also taking time to maintain her body with stretches, etc.  Somehow she still finds time to help Zoe not be such a 'teenager' and learn to be a well-behaved young adult. On top of all that, she helps keep us manatees informed and inspired.  

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

GOOOOOOO JANYNE. I hope your race goes even better than planned and that you hit that super secret goal time that we all have . you are a constant and wonderful source of inspiration to me.
2016-04-15 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

FTFY (orange being even faster).

Couldn't agree more!  Janyne, thank you for being such a big part of the "glue" that keeps the pod together. 

Now go CRUSH it!

Matt

2016-04-15 10:21 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

Couldn't agree more!  Janyne, thank you for being such a big part of the "glue" that keeps the pod together. 

Now go CRUSH it!

Matt

x a lot!!

2016-04-15 10:27 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by amd723

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

Now go CRUSH it!

Matt

x a lot!!

Adding in that I think Ian Thorpe said something along these lines: if you look at all the expectations people have for you as a negative, it becomes pressure, but if you choose to look at it as positive, it becomes support.
Don't ever forget....we SUPPORT you!!!

2016-04-15 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

Oh Snap! Boston!  Go Janyne!

2016-04-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

GOOOOOO JAYNYNE!!!!

2016-04-15 11:37 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

Now go CRUSH it!

Matt

x a lot!!

Adding in that I think Ian Thorpe said something along these lines: if you look at all the expectations people have for you as a negative, it becomes pressure, but if you choose to look at it as positive, it becomes support.
Don't ever forget....we SUPPORT you!!!

We support you and we love you!!!!! GO JANYNE!!!!!!
I'm so happy for being a part of supportive group for Boston Marathoner
2016-04-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Woohoo gooo Janyne! Have so much fun in Boston. Stay away from little Italy the night before the race lol

A good shakeout run is to take the ferry from Long Wharf across to Charlestown then run through the Paul Rever Park, Norht Point Park then back across the river. The ferry is great, I always like to gat back away from a city and see it from the water.

Edited by Asalzwed 2016-04-15 12:35 PM
2016-04-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by marysia83

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

Now go CRUSH it!

Matt

x a lot!!

Adding in that I think Ian Thorpe said something along these lines: if you look at all the expectations people have for you as a negative, it becomes pressure, but if you choose to look at it as positive, it becomes support. Don't ever forget....we SUPPORT you!!!
We support you and we love you!!!!! GO JANYNE!!!!!! I'm so happy for being a part of supportive group for Boston Marathoner

Good luck Janyne. Hope your race is all that you want it to be.

2016-04-15 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

GOOOOOOOO JANYNE!!!!

You will be in my thoughts all day Monday.  Good luck and have a great time. 

2016-04-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by brigby1

I don't really have much to add to the tech part of things. With what you're looking at, think it's more that you need to make sure that it's implemented well and that you understand it.  Just keep in mind that people do put in thousands of miles on bikes with more basic solutions than what you're looking at just by doing well with the upkeep.

I'm also curious about the food for this. Don't remember if you said. That 175 mile ride I did had an estimate of 7,000 calories burned. You're notably smaller than I am, but will be carrying a bit more on the bike and will have a lot more climbing. Both slowing you back down, making the day take longer. It wouldn't surprise me if you're burning 5,000 a day. That's a lot of food if you're not familiar with it.

I think it will be about 10,000 per day. Will be traveling a lot slower than a typical race and stopping to eat. For what it's worth, last year riders reported an average weight loss of 28 lbs for the race. To that end, it will give me an excuse to go in to the race a little bit on the frumpy side :} 

Reading blogs of riders from last year, they tended to eat BIG about 4/5 times a day. Lots of Mcdonald's with 2 meals with milkshake. Lots of 12 inch pizza, 1 to eat, 1 to fold in half and take with you. Lots of croissants. Lots of donner kebabs. Basically any food with a high calorie content..

2016-04-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Mary S - Run as One 5k on Saturday
Steve - Fun with the Fuzz 5k on Saturday
Adrienne - Earth Day 15k on Saturday
Connor - Caveman Triathlon on Sunday
Markus - MS 150 on Saturday and Sunday
Justin - King Tut Sprint Triathlon on Sunday
Tom - Village Adventist Elementary 5k on Sunday
Janyne - Boston marathon on Monday

Disabled List
Judi - ankle  (partial DL, activity limited)

2016-04-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

April 16-17
Mary S - Run as One 5k on Saturday
Steve - Fun with the Fuzz 5k on Saturday
Adrienne - Earth Day 15k on Saturday
Connor - Caveman Triathlon on Sunday
Markus - MS 150 on Saturday and Sunday
Justin - King Tut Sprint Triathlon on Sunday
Tom - Village Adventist Elementary 5k on Sunday
Janyne - Boston marathon on Monday

Disabled List
Judi - ankle  (partial DL, activity limited)

Go Manatees!!!
The list is getting longer and longer ))) And the DL gets shorter! I hope you're feeling better Judi!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.