BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-03 6:45 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

When in the day do you workout? Is this your preference or would you change if your circumstances were different? 

I usually work until 3:30 or 4:00 but my wife works until 5:00, so I generally get my workouts in after work. I am not a morning person, so this actually is my preferred time slot for exercising. --Tom

I think of them as time slots as well.  During the week I have the morning time slots, I can usually do one lunch time slot per week, I have Monday evening available (Kevin and Zoe are at dog school then). In the summer I have Tuesday and Thursday evening as well.

2020-01-03 6:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by juniperjen

When in the day do you workout? Is this your preference or would you change if your circumstances were different? 

When I was running, it was in the morning. Any other time and the heat becomes a bit much. TW and I often carpool to work, so I'll throw the bike into the car and ride home on occasion. Or we'll put our MTB's in my truck before work and ride after work together.

Given my druthers, I'd run early and ride in the morning, but that isn't an option for another 15 or so years 

But who's counting, right?  I noticed that Anne has a countdown clock on her dashboard

2020-01-03 7:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

When I was running, it was in the morning. Any other time and the heat becomes a bit much. TW and I often carpool to work, so I'll throw the bike into the car and ride home on occasion. Or we'll put our MTB's in my truck before work and ride after work together.

Given my druthers, I'd run early and ride in the morning, but that isn't an option for another 15 or so years 

But who's counting, right?  I noticed that Anne has a countdown clock on her dashboard

My countdown clock sits at just under 5000 days, so yeah, I'm not putting that anywhere to remind me on a daily basis. We had a guy just retire out of my department a few weeks ago. He had a countdown app that played Freebird every time he opened it. 

Needless to say, I'm envious of him and Anne.

All that said, I'm enjoying where I am right now, so I'll just keep keeping on. I have wasted my morning looking for gravel events. I need another bike 

2020-01-03 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My countdown clock sits at just under 5000 days, so yeah, I'm not putting that anywhere to remind me on a daily basis. We had a guy just retire out of my department a few weeks ago. He had a countdown app that played Freebird every time he opened it. 

All that said, I'm enjoying where I am right now, so I'll just keep keeping on. I have wasted my morning looking for gravel events. I need another bike 

Let me know what you come up with. I am semi looking at the one in Virginia near Laura.  If I did that, it would probably just be the short one on my cross bike to give it a try.

2020-01-03 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think that we have a good number of our returning Manatees here as well as some new ones. I'll hold off on updating the roster until next week. I think that we are missing Adam, Anne, Karl, Kirsten, Mary Stone, Robin P, TJ, and Stacey. I expect that at least some of them will join us here.  I'll reach out to them today.

Tom, could you please post a bio when you have a chance?  (unless I somehow missed it)

2020-01-03 8:10 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Sorry to be late to the party!

NAME: Adam

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: You can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Strava (as part of the Manatee group there).

STORY: I'm 45 currently and started triathlon around 5 years ago. Since then I've been inconsistent as I try and balance work, family, and life. I was an OK athlete in high school though I didn't do anything longer than a quarter mile. I spend a lot of my 20s and 30s in the gym lifting weights (3 days per week or so) and only turned to triathlon later on. I live in Raleigh, NC and train mostly on the lovely greenway system that we have here. I've been a professor at NC State since 2002 and also do some work for two different small businesses that I co-founded. While it's good that things are going well professionally, it does make for difficulty work-life balance.

FAMILY STATUS: I remarried a couple of years ago and have an adorable and sweet new baby (currently 13 months) from that relationship to go along with my high school senior and sophomore that are also with us half of the time. Between work and family (and the associated chronic illness that comes from a baby in day care), I've really struggled lately to have any type of fitness consistency or goals.

CURRENT TRAINING: The occasional run and gym workout not to slip into complete atrophy.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: None on the books so far. The last few years, I have done one half Iron per year, but that's a bit unlikely this year unless it's a late-year event. As I've gotten into longer distances, I've found it harder to be motivated by the smaller and shorter distance events.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Friendship, motivation to keep at it, and to be supportive of others.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've been a manatee for a few years now and really get a lot out of this supportive and friendly group of friends.

2020-01-03 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Laramie, Wyoming
Hi Janine! I did post a bio, it was the post before my workout time post. -- Tom
2020-01-03 8:31 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Adam!

Tom, I must be blind.  I still don't see it. Ah well...  Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative!

2020-01-03 8:47 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I usually work until 3:30 or 4:00 but my wife works until 5:00, so I generally get my workouts in after work. I am not a morning person, so this actually is my preferred time slot for exercising. --Tom

Hi Tom!  I noticed you are from Wyoming.  This morning by playing Jeopardy on my Alexa device, I learned that Wyoming is the least populated state in the US.  Interesting stuff!

2020-01-03 8:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Let me know what you come up with. I am semi looking at the one in Virginia near Laura.  If I did that, it would probably just be the short one on my cross bike to give it a try.

Keep us updated on that event, Janyne.  I'd be willing to join in the fun as long as it fits my schedule.  VA is a lot closer than NC or TN!

2020-01-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Keep us updated on that event, Janyne.  I'd be willing to join in the fun as long as it fits my schedule.  VA is a lot closer than NC or TN!

Will do! This review makes it seem like a good event.

2020-01-03 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What gravel events are you looking at?

2020-01-03 11:32 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Apparently, once you go check out Anne's cool tracker, you will see her first race is a Rockcrusher Gravel Race, Ackerman, Mississippi
Or at least that's the gravel that came to my mind...
2020-01-03 11:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
...and this: https://gravelcyclist.com/training-rides/the-gravel-cyclist-dirty-ka...

...and there is gravel all over Anne's bio!!

Edited by marysia83 2020-01-03 11:33 AM
2020-01-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Hi Melanie, 

Yep, Wyoming is the least populated state in the US. The funny part is that I moved here from the most populated state: California. I have to say though, I love the quiet and more laid back attitude here. --Tom

2020-01-03 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mostly stuff in Fl and Ga. Fakahatchee Grind outside of Naples on  4/4. Seminole Grind in Fl, and Thomasville Clay Road Classic in Ga., and maybe Rocks, Roads and Reggae if it happens this December, among others. I have to take DD2's wedding date and a couple of other calendar items in mind.  Since I am in the beginning stages of hunting down a gravel bike(if it even happens this year), I am taking a look at smaller local stuff, nothing big like Anne (Steamboat, Kanza, etc). GravelCyclist.com is a pretty good reference fore vents, reviews, and such.

2020-01-03 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mostly stuff in Fl and Ga. Fakahatchee Grind outside of Naples on  4/4. Seminole Grind in Fl, and Thomasville Clay Road Classic in Ga., and maybe Rocks, Roads and Reggae if it happens this December, among others. I have to take DD2's wedding date and a couple of other calendar items in mind.  Since I am in the beginning stages of hunting down a gravel bike(if it even happens this year), I am taking a look at smaller local stuff, nothing big like Anne (Steamboat, Kanza, etc). GravelCyclist.com is a pretty good reference fore vents, reviews, and such.

So many weddings to plan around!

2020-01-03 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So many weddings to plan around!

This is the last one!

2020-01-03 4:52 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Today was my first day back in the water since the middle of December. My family and I were visiting family in California for the holidays, so I wasn't able to score any training opportunities. 

Anyways, I kept the yards down, as I know I'm going to have to build up to where I was before. In one hour, I was able to fit in 1750 yds. It felt so good to be back in the water! --Tom

2020-01-03 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back, Adam!

Tom, I must be blind.  I still don't see it. Ah well...  Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative!

Guess i'm blind too! Of course, i'm older than you, so that's not surprising!!

2020-01-04 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

INFO FOR NEW AND RETURNING MANATEES

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-) Fasten your seatbelts! Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "Inspire" feature of the site a lot). If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking the "Reply" button. This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it. Please try to acknowledge inspires, at least occasionally! They can really help us to get to know each other. Also, some of us have been on here a while and have learned how to navigate BeginnerTriathlete, or BT as it is called, pretty well. Small tips like "Subscribe to this Thread" can really help you stay in touch and help keep you motivated.

There are really only a small number of "rules" to being a Manatee. One of them is to use your training log in one way shape or form. Another is opening your logs to other group members. This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up. Here's a few shorts article on training logs: https://www.podiumrunner.com/why-you-should-keep-a-training-log_50045 http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/10-reasons-to-keep-a-train...  If you're not going to log or blog or whatever here on BT, please put a link to your training log in your BT Dashboard.

List your upcoming races and events on your training log -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard.

We have a Bike Gallery (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17246) as well. Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it. He'll get you added.

We have a Strava group (https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees). Let Chris or Janyne know and we can add you. A lot of us use Strava for logging workouts, as well as a bit of conversation and it is another way for us to keep up with each other's training.

Oh, we're on Twitter too. Janyne manages a Twitter list -- Order of the Racing Manatee (https://twitter.com/jmkizer/lists/manatee)
Please be active!

Inactive Manatees make us sad!

2020-01-04 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Today was my first day back in the water since the middle of December. My family and I were visiting family in California for the holidays, so I wasn't able to score any training opportunities. 

Anyways, I kept the yards down, as I know I'm going to have to build up to where I was before. In one hour, I was able to fit in 1750 yds. It felt so good to be back in the water! --Tom

Nice! I've successfully avoided the pool in the recent past.

2020-01-04 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Please keep me in the loop!

2020-01-04 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

INFO FOR NEW AND RETURNING MANATEES

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-) Fasten your seatbelts! Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "Inspire" feature of the site a lot). If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking the "Reply" button. This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it. Please try to acknowledge inspires, at least occasionally! They can really help us to get to know each other. Also, some of us have been on here a while and have learned how to navigate BeginnerTriathlete, or BT as it is called, pretty well. Small tips like "Subscribe to this Thread" can really help you stay in touch and help keep you motivated.

There are really only a small number of "rules" to being a Manatee. One of them is to use your training log in one way shape or form. Another is opening your logs to other group members. This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up. Here's a few shorts article on training logs: https://www.podiumrunner.com/why-you-should-keep-a-training-log_50045 http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/10-reasons-to-keep-a-train...  If you're not going to log or blog or whatever here on BT, please put a link to your training log in your BT Dashboard.

List your upcoming races and events on your training log -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard.

We have a Bike Gallery (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17246) as well. Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it. He'll get you added.

We have a Strava group (https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees). Let Chris or Janyne know and we can add you. A lot of us use Strava for logging workouts, as well as a bit of conversation and it is another way for us to keep up with each other's training.

Oh, we're on Twitter too. Janyne manages a Twitter list -- Order of the Racing Manatee (https://twitter.com/jmkizer/lists/manatee)
Please be active!

Inactive Manatees make us sad!

Thanks for posting this!

Please plan to use a training log (and share it with the group) and if you are on Strava, please join our group.

2020-01-04 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of training logs, it looks like FitnessSyncer is working -- at least to get the basic data from Zwift > FitnessSyncer > BT.  I'll do a Sufferfest yoga something this weekend and see how that goes.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127