User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer

My tri training plan started today and I already am behind! Plan called for me to actually swim, but my bed called for me to stay there. Bed won.  I’m rethinking the start of the swim portion of the plan. I know I won’t be doing any tris before Choo 70.3, so my current plan which is oly focused before moving into HIM distances is not really needed - at least for swim stuff. So, I may push the swim off til the end of January. I think that’s the Janyne plan and who can argue with her!? 

What?  Float down the river?  haha! Seriously, the way the vaccine rollout is going, I'm not super stressed about my need to swim.   My "need" for a gravel bike, though, may be increasing!

Regarding my training, I am on Outseason until the beginning of February. Then I need to decide what to do.  HIM plan starts March 1.

I started my "plan" last Thursday. I am wondering what I was thinking when I signed up for a May race. I knew my swim options were limited in a normal year, which is why I always preferred my bigger events in the Fall, so I had all Summer to swim. I won't be traveling to city with the closest YMCA this winter. I am putting a lot faith in swim bands and weight training this year. Thank God Tulsa should be wetsuit legal. I think I just guaranteed that this will be the warmest winter ever in Oklahoma.

I hope Tulsa is a go ! It seems weird that you are not doing Lousiville (I know it doesn't exist anymore)!! 

Tulsa is the same weekend as Chattanooga 70.3.

2021-01-05 1:04 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Curtis!  I agree, it's nice to have a training plan tell you what to do when you are busy!

Joe needs training plans.  Thanks all, for chiming on on the BT plans and the TriDot ones. From what I understand, Joe is currently on a swim focus and is targeting the BMO Marathon which is typically on the first weekend in May.  12 weeks before that would be February 6th so start a marathon plan sometime around then?  The other event Joe is targeting is the Vancouver Tri which I think is in early September.

Welcome back, Marysia!  50 miler! Woo hoo! ULTRA!  You know that we like active Manatees :-)

Welcome back, Jason!  From dessert heat to Alaska! What is wrong with you?!  And yes, Happy Anniversary!

2021-01-05 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

And so it begins... My April event has been rescheduled for September...

2021-01-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

Double sad face.
2021-01-05 2:03 PM

br />
Welcome back, Jason!  From dessert heat to Alaska! What is wrong with you?!  And yes, Happy Anniversary!

I had every plan to return to the desert after 1 year in Alaska following law school. A few months here and I knew 1 year would not be enough. We figured we would stay an additional 2-4 years. That was 16 years ago. :-)
2021-01-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by cdban66

Double sad face.

Well, it's a Rotary Club fundraiser that takes place in two states. That sounds like both a volunteer problem and a possibly issue with event support.  I'm not upset about it or anything, it was more like, "Here we go again!"

2021-01-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by jmkizer br />
I had every plan to return to the desert after 1 year in Alaska following law school. A few months here and I knew 1 year would not be enough. We figured we would stay an additional 2-4 years. That was 16 years ago. :-)

2021-01-05 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Welcome back, Curtis!  I agree, it's nice to have a training plan tell you what to do when you are busy!

Joe needs training plans.  Thanks all, for chiming on on the BT plans and the TriDot ones. From what I understand, Joe is currently on a swim focus and is targeting the BMO Marathon which is typically on the first weekend in May.  12 weeks before that would be February 6th so start a marathon plan sometime around then?  The other event Joe is targeting is the Vancouver Tri which I think is in early September.

Welcome back, Marysia!  50 miler! Woo hoo! ULTRA!  You know that we like active Manatees :-)

I just saw a plan on the Triathlete mag IG - i'll see if i can find it. Won't be able to vouch if it is good

Joe, other good resources to try - books by Joe Friel for triathlon which you can probably check out of the library and will have plans too - 

Marathon training, i don't have any current resources on that - i haven't done one in 8 years ... but i trained with the running room for the first 3 that i did. It's a good tried and true program. I've seen fasties use it successfully as well! 

2021-01-05 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

When i visited Alaska a few years ago I think just about every person I met had either come there on vacation and never left or came to work a summer job and never left!

2021-01-05 3:34 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
2021-01-05 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Hi Manatees!

NAME: Micawber on here / Dwayne in real life

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I technically have a Facebook account but don't get on it very regularly.

STORY: 63 yo computer programmer (2nd career) in Alberta Canada. No sports background when younger but I started trying to run in my early 40's and eventually got into tri from there. Joined BT in '04 and did a bunch of HIM, including Calgary, and IM Canada a couple times, with some shorter events in between. I actually won my age group in a local oly once but I'm usually more mid-pack. Sadly the training and events tapered off and I've been pretty much out of training for too many years now. That leaves me about 60lbs heavier than IM weight though at 6'2" I hide it well. :D

FAMILY STATUS: Widowed for 9 years, no kids. No pets currently.

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to get started again. I still have some gear, though I've discovered my bike shoes don't fit anymore. I have been using an elliptical machine regularly at home but didn't consider it "tri training" so it isn't logged.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Nothing scheduled yet.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Get back into tri participation shape.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I recognize a few names here from before. It looks like a good, varied, and active group. The enthusiasm on the forums can be contagious and that's something I wouldn't mind catching and spreading.

Edited by Micawber 2021-01-05 4:35 PM

2021-01-05 4:32 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado

When i visited Alaska a few years ago I think just about every person I met had either come there on vacation and never left or came to work a summer job and never left!

Ha! That was me when I came to US... I only came for couple of months of vacation...
2021-01-05 5:17 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Dwayne!

2021-01-05 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome, Dwayne!

yes, welcome!

2021-01-05 8:23 PM

User image

Expert

My tri training plan started today and I already am behind! Plan called for me to actually swim, but my bed called for me to stay there. Bed won.  I’m rethinking the start of the swim portion of the plan. I know I won’t be doing any tris before Choo 70.3, so my current plan which is oly focused before moving into HIM distances is not really needed - at least for swim stuff. So, I may push the swim off til the end of January. I think that’s the Janyne plan and who can argue with her!? 

What?  Float down the river?  haha! Seriously, the way the vaccine rollout is going, I'm not super stressed about my need to swim.   My "need" for a gravel bike, though, may be increasing!

Regarding my training, I am on Outseason until the beginning of February. Then I need to decide what to do.  HIM plan starts March 1.

I started my "plan" last Thursday. I am wondering what I was thinking when I signed up for a May race. I knew my swim options were limited in a normal year, which is why I always preferred my bigger events in the Fall, so I had all Summer to swim. I won't be traveling to city with the closest YMCA this winter. I am putting a lot faith in swim bands and weight training this year. Thank God Tulsa should be wetsuit legal. I think I just guaranteed that this will be the warmest winter ever in Oklahoma.

I hope Tulsa is a go ! It seems weird that you are not doing Lousiville (I know it doesn't exist anymore)!! 

I don't miss swimming in the Ohio River. It's the only place I've ever swam and was happy I couldn't see the bottom. After racing Florida, Louisville would have been a really tough sell to Michelle.
With D#1 in Texas, I think Memorial Hermann is in my future.
2021-01-05 8:26 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Welcome to everyone new and old. I love to read your stories. It's a great way to get to know each other and refresh each other on who we are.

2021-01-05 11:55 PM
in reply to: #5273965

For sure Jim - I actually went back the other night and read the first few pages of the 2020 thread to see all the profiles again from last year (which was my first year here). It's too bad some of the folks that didn't stick around.
2021-01-06 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't miss swimming in the Ohio River. It's the only place I've ever swam and was happy I couldn't see the bottom. After racing Florida, Louisville would have been a really tough sell to Michelle. With D#1 in Texas, I think Memorial Hermann is in my future.

Oh! I've heard good things about Galveston.  The main bad thing that I've heard is that it's early season HOT.

And yes, the Ohio was... not pleasant.

2021-01-06 7:00 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri For sure Jim - I actually went back the other night and read the first few pages of the 2020 thread to see all the profiles again from last year (which was my first year here). It's too bad some of the folks that didn't stick around.

Yanti has assured me that she is coming.  She thought that her intro should be shorter than a novel is all!

At least half of the inactive 2020 Manates are very event focused.  No events means no they lost interest in us :-(

The other half are a combination of people who have limited internet or use the phone only (we all know that the BT mobile app is less than stellar) and people who think that we are serious.  I mean, we kinda are serious but let's face it, Manatees are very social creatures!

Anyway, I expect that we'll have a few more returning Manatees and a few more new ones.  Hopefully, everyone feels welcome!

2021-01-06 7:04 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow! Dwayne, you weren't kidding!  BT #7038!!!

2021-01-06 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't miss swimming in the Ohio River. It's the only place I've ever swam and was happy I couldn't see the bottom. After racing Florida, Louisville would have been a really tough sell to Michelle. With D#1 in Texas, I think Memorial Hermann is in my future.

What? You don’t miss swimming through diesel fuel and god knows what else? I thoroughly enjoyed it

2021-01-06 9:25 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

What? You don’t miss swimming through diesel fuel and god knows what else? I thoroughly enjoyed it

Wait... there are other waters with diesel fuel and goose poop, other than lake Michigan in Chicago....? Ugh....
2021-01-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Wish me luck, Manatees, as I am back to school......
Long story short, I have been trying to finish my BA since 2002. Started in Poland, then moved to US, tried to go to school, but there were several iterruptions, such as work (I had to support myself and my family in Poland), then children, then becoming single parent, switching majors multiple times, and then just being overwhelmed with family, work, social life and hobbies.... Anyways... I prepared a success plan and hope this time it will be it I am working from home, thus, saving some time for commuting.
I am sharing this with you because I don't know, I guess any word of encouregement will be helpful I worry a little bit, as it's a committment (in addition to all the sports and hobbies I have), but I'm also very excited. I decided to major in Ethnic Studies, which seems to be very, very interesting.
2021-01-06 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The sheen of the oil.  The aroma!

2021-01-06 9:42 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Wish me luck, Manatees, as I am back to school...... Long story short, I have been trying to finish my BA since 2002. Started in Poland, then moved to US, tried to go to school, but there were several iterruptions, such as work (I had to support myself and my family in Poland), then children, then becoming single parent, switching majors multiple times, and then just being overwhelmed with family, work, social life and hobbies.... Anyways... I prepared a success plan and hope this time it will be it I am working from home, thus, saving some time for commuting. I am sharing this with you because I don't know, I guess any word of encouregement will be helpful I worry a little bit, as it's a committment (in addition to all the sports and hobbies I have), but I'm also very excited. I decided to major in Ethnic Studies, which seems to be very, very interesting.

Nice!  I know several people who have took classes last semester and have signed up again this year.  They also mentioned saved commute time as a part of their decision.  Good luck!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74