BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-25 2:00 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Grrrrrr!!!   I went to the gym at lunch to try and get a swim done, only to find one of those signs saying "pool closed, sorry for the inconvenience"... and NO date as to when it might be open again.  I finally tracked someone down in maintenance and it turns out that they don't even have a date yet for when the pool might be re-opened.  There is another branch of my gym with a pool sort of close by, but not close enough to walk to over lunch and get a swim workout done.  Pout. 

I guess this means I have to do extra on the drainer tonight. 

Sorry about the pool. Really sorry about the extra drainer time!

2013-11-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Grrrrrr!!!   I went to the gym at lunch to try and get a swim done, only to find one of those signs saying "pool closed, sorry for the inconvenience"... and NO date as to when it might be open again.  I finally tracked someone down in maintenance and it turns out that they don't even have a date yet for when the pool might be re-opened.  There is another branch of my gym with a pool sort of close by, but not close enough to walk to over lunch and get a swim workout done.  Pout. 

Lol - thanks!  

It's okay though... it also means that I have a built in excuse for not being able to get to Masters at 6:15am tomorrow morning.  Awww shucks!  

On the flip side, I guess I'll be getting another Suffer Fest video tonight... 

2013-11-25 3:08 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by brigby1

This was great. Sister just missed what fit on the screen.

Congrats, Ben and siblings!  The fact that your family races with you makes me smile.   You are a speedy lot!

I second this!! CONGRATS! And Happy Birthday JO!! On to Monday......blah - well it's half over And it's a shortened week for all my American friends (I hope, unless you work at Target then you may not have any days off this week). So what are your plans? I feed DH's family. There will be about 15 of us. The usual fare: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots......and pie. Lots of pie. But first I have to survive 2.5 more days at work. In the meantime, my tri buddy emailed me his plan for US for our first IM in 2015 - LMAO - "Can I finish a half first?" Have a great day all!

I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving... and even better is that I get TWO every year as my hubby is so awesome that he makes me a Thanksgiving dinner for the Canadian Thanksgiving too.     This year will be orphans dinner at my friend Steve's place with all the usual fare - I'm not sure what we're bringing yet, but if I have anything to say about it, I'm bringing at least one pumpkin pie.   

FYI - I STILL haven't finished a half and have done 2 IMs now...  just sayin'    

I'm jealous of your Thanksgiving Squared. I love thanksgiving. Although, not a HUGE fan of turkey. Think we are going the ham route this year.

2013-11-25 3:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Lol - thanks!  

It's okay though... it also means that I have a built in excuse for not being able to get to Masters at 6:15am tomorrow morning.  Awww shucks!  

I'm wondering how not swimming leads to more biking. Arm crank action going on there?

2013-11-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Congrats, Ben and siblings!  The fact that your family races with you makes me smile.   You are a speedy lot!

I second this!! CONGRATS! And Happy Birthday JO!! On to Monday......blah - well it's half over And it's a shortened week for all my American friends (I hope, unless you work at Target then you may not have any days off this week). So what are your plans? I feed DH's family. There will be about 15 of us. The usual fare: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots......and pie. Lots of pie. But first I have to survive 2.5 more days at work. In the meantime, my tri buddy emailed me his plan for US for our first IM in 2015 - LMAO - "Can I finish a half first?" Have a great day all!

I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving... and even better is that I get TWO every year as my hubby is so awesome that he makes me a Thanksgiving dinner for the Canadian Thanksgiving too.     This year will be orphans dinner at my friend Steve's place with all the usual fare - I'm not sure what we're bringing yet, but if I have anything to say about it, I'm bringing at least one pumpkin pie.   

I'm jealous of your Thanksgiving Squared. I love thanksgiving. Although, not a HUGE fan of turkey. Think we are going the ham route this year.

I think I just take some of the turkey because it's expected of me... if I could get away with it, I'd totally leave out the turkey and have the potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, stuffing, more stuffing, gravy, and then pie followed by more pie.    

2013-11-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Lol - thanks!  

I'm wondering how not swimming leads to more biking. Arm crank action going on there?

Process of elimination gets rid of everything else - or that could just be the logic in my messed up brain talking.   

My angry knee is preventing me from running (there could possibly be some wimpiness going on there too in terms of not wanting to run outside and have my face freeze off... though I'm going with the angry knee reason instead), and I don't have any workout gear with me to do anything else at the gym... so voila! I'm left with the trainer! 

2013-11-25 4:39 PM

User image

Master

Ohhhh! Pumpkin pie is my favorite! I can't wait to make one...or two

2013-11-25 4:45 PM

User image

Master

My gym pool is out of commish for the week, but not like I've put any effort into swimming in the last week anyway. Always next Monday. hehe

2013-11-25 4:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

One day til we pick up my parents. Lots of cleaning and reorganizing. Since my dad can't get upstairs much, plus he has his wheel chair half the time, we have to make sure the downstairs bedroom/bathroom are ready.  I finished half the Thanksgiving food shopping and found the smallest turkey possible. I've never even tasted one, let alone made one, so it's a good thing my dad will be here

Off to do more cleaning.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JO!

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-11-25 4:59 PM
2013-11-25 5:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

One day til we pick up my parents. Lots of cleaning and reorganizing. Since my dad can't get upstairs much, plus he has his wheel chair half the time, we have to make sure the downstairs bedroom/bathroom are ready.  I finished half the Thanksgiving food shopping and found the smallest turkey possible. I've never even tasted one, let alone made one, so it's a good thing my dad will be here

Off to do more cleaning.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JO!

How is this possible? 

2013-11-25 7:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

A TT question on vids and seeing more people picking things up here gave a reminder to put in a quick cheat sheet to the Sufferfest vids (some of this is copy/paste). They're all "hard" in some way or other, so look at how they're hard. What type of response they promote. They have their descriptions for what people think they want to see, but I look at theme a bit differently. And to help simplify things. "Hill Climbing, "TT", and other terms tend go blah, blah, blah on the trainer. I look at duration and effort level of the work sections. Their categories are more marketing, but can be simplified a bit to be more helpful.

Violator is a sprint workout, so not as useful for tri (though it does look hard)

Vids marked as "Speed" would be a VO2 workout with 1 or 2 of them possibly pushing into anaerobic at times. I'd also put Local Hero here as it can work well if one understands how to do it. Better than threshold development, imo.

Anything else currently there would be threshold focused, and they work various areas within that using different sized intervals and effort. There may be some other higher level work, but are still mostly threshold based. Something like Blender can go (much) higher at times, but most of it is still working around threshold. 

2013-11-26 6:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

A TT question on vids and seeing more people picking things up here gave a reminder to put in a quick cheat sheet to the Sufferfest vids (some of this is copy/paste). They're all "hard" in some way or other, so look at how they're hard. What type of response they promote. They have their descriptions for what people think they want to see, but I look at theme a bit differently. And to help simplify things. "Hill Climbing, "TT", and other terms tend go blah, blah, blah on the trainer. I look at duration and effort level of the work sections. Their categories are more marketing, but can be simplified a bit to be more helpful.

Violator is a sprint workout, so not as useful for tri (though it does look hard)

Vids marked as "Speed" would be a VO2 workout with 1 or 2 of them possibly pushing into anaerobic at times. I'd also put Local Hero here as it can work well if one understands how to do it. Better than threshold development, imo.

Anything else currently there would be threshold focused, and they work various areas within that using different sized intervals and effort. There may be some other higher level work, but are still mostly threshold based. Something like Blender can go (much) higher at times, but most of it is still working around threshold. 

So Ben what are your thoughts on Blender and Revolver? These are the two that have kind of caught my attention. Revolver most likely because of it being a bit shorter so I could fit it in more easily during the week and Blender for longer rides on the weekend.

Being kind of a newbie to riding every element could do with some improvement.
2013-11-26 9:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

So Ben what are your thoughts on Blender and Revolver? These are the two that have kind of caught my attention. Revolver most likely because of it being a bit shorter so I could fit it in more easily during the week and Blender for longer rides on the weekend. Being kind of a newbie to riding every element could do with some improvement.

Those should work you well. For a single bigger one, most would probably like Blender more as the interval durations aren't as long. They won't seem short when you're doing them, however. I go with ISLAGIATT more often because of the length. It fits in better with what works for me, but I'm at a different point in development.

Revolver will really work you. I was more developed when starting structured training and was able to pick up pacing various durations rather quickly, but have read for people getting into it that shorter intervals are easier for them to pick up. And in this case the 1' intervals would be easier to pace than the 3-4' of some of the others. Though don't confuse that with thinking the workout is overall easier because of it.

I'm still learning more detail on just how often one should do threshold vs VO2, but do know that performance at threshold is more key to our performance and everyone will do more work in that range. The amount of targeted VO2 workouts to put in varies by person and they're development. in discussion with some others in the Utopia group, I don't seem to need as much as a few of them. Maybe once a month for me whereas they may average every other week or even several weeks in a row in a VO2 focus. Revolver, while a good one to have, is also probably going to be a bit hard to do every week. Additional things to work in over time would be one with at least one 20' block. HHNF is the 2 x 20'. The Hunted & Rubber Glove both have a single 20' (plus a little other work) and could also get one of the Extra Shot vids for a 2nd 20'. Though do know that The Long Scream is 30'. Then also something like Fight Club or Angels which has shorter-for-threshold intervals that can be pushed up to a higher effort level. 4 vids like this should give a rather well rounded set to work with (1 big, 2 types of threshold, 1 VO2). 3 would actually still work things quite well, with the long one being dropped off if one didn't want that many vids.

Edited by brigby1 2013-11-26 9:15 AM
2013-11-26 2:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Off to do more cleaning.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JO!

How is this possible? 

I confess I had to do a double-take on that one, too!

2013-11-26 2:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

For those who have new gadgets on the list for Christmas or just because, DCRainmaker has a post today about black Friday and cyber Monday deals: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/technology-friday-monday.html

2013-11-26 3:57 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

For those who have new gadgets on the list for Christmas or just because, DCRainmaker has a post today about black Friday and cyber Monday deals: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/technology-friday-monday.html

Ooooh - thanks Mel!  I think he also posted his 2013 gadget recommendations today?  

Yep - here it is!  http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/sports-gadgets-recommendations.html

2013-11-26 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Okay, this made me laugh so freakin' hard until I realized that I have no idea where some of the names should go either...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

2013-11-26 4:05 PM

User image

Master

Okay, this made me laugh so freakin' hard until I realized that I have no idea where some of the names should go either...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

Huh.  Big Scotland with Polar Bears.  Sigh.

2013-11-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcraht

I know, I know - but it could have been worse... they could have labeled it as "Super North Dakota"   

2013-11-26 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

That was great!  I'm actually amazed by how well most of them did.  Every once in a while I will try to write all 50 states, it's always sad when I get stuck at 49 and really have to think to figure out what stupid state I'm forgetting!

2013-11-26 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I know, I know - but it could have been worse... they could have labeled it as "Super North Dakota"   

LOL, "super north dakota" -  that is a great name!

2013-11-26 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I would like to see some Americans do the rest of the world, that would be interesting!

When we were there a number of people asked where we were from and when we said Australia one asked "what State is that in?" another said "that's in Britan somewhere isn't it?" and someone else asked what part of Europe that was in?" You just had to shake your head and smile.
2013-11-26 5:03 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

I would like to see some Americans do the rest of the world, that would be interesting! When we were there a number of people asked where we were from and when we said Australia one asked "what State is that in?" another said "that's in Britan somewhere isn't it?" and someone else asked what part of Europe that was in?" You just had to shake your head and smile.

lol, so many Americans have zero awareness of anything beyond their nose!  It is really very sad.  I always laugh and cringe when one of the late night hosts (like Jay Leno) do a man on the street bit where they ask people some very easy questions about things happening in the US or other part of the world.  Here is a great one http://videolicious.tv/2009/06/the-best-of-jaywalking-final-jay-leno-tonight-show/#.UpUnUSSqQ7A

2013-11-26 5:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Don't forget an Australian's take.

2013-11-26 5:47 PM

User image

Master

I would like to see some Americans do the rest of the world, that would be interesting! When we were there a number of people asked where we were from and when we said Australia one asked "what State is that in?" another said "that's in Britan somewhere isn't it?" and someone else asked what part of Europe that was in?" You just had to shake your head and smile.

lol, so many Americans have zero awareness of anything beyond their nose!  It is really very sad.  I always laugh and cringe when one of the late night hosts (like Jay Leno) do a man on the street bit where they ask people some very easy questions about things happening in the US or other part of the world.  Here is a great one http://videolicious.tv/2009/06/the-best-of-jaywalking-final-jay-leno-tonight-show/#.UpUnUSSqQ7A

Oh, good lord.  I have to hope some of this is nerves!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.