BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-09-09 6:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Hey Guys!

I'd love to hear some of your input on something.

I am doing IMNC 70.3 on Saturday, Oct 15th.
I am going home to London, Ontario the last week of Sept/first weekend of Oct and there is a half marathon that weekend I was contemplating doing.

Do you think doing a half marathon two weeks prior to my half ironman would be beneficial or harmful? In 2009, I did the marathon portion of Beach to Battleship full distance ironman race two week prior to IMAZ however, I was only 30 years old at the time.

I have two thoughts.

1. It might be a good confidence booster to get miles in and know I can do it.
2. It might too much being that the 1/2 ironman race is only 2 weeks from then.

What are your thoughts?

2022-09-09 6:43 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Hey Guys! I'd love to hear some of your input on something. I am doing IMNC 70.3 on Saturday, Oct 15th. I am going home to London, Ontario the last week of Sept/first weekend of Oct and there is a half marathon that weekend I was contemplating doing. Do you think doing a half marathon two weeks prior to my half ironman would be beneficial or harmful? In 2009, I did the marathon portion of Beach to Battleship full distance ironman race two week prior to IMAZ however, I was only 30 years old at the time. I have two thoughts. 1. It might be a good confidence booster to get miles in and know I can do it. 2. It might too much being that the 1/2 ironman race is only 2 weeks from then. What are your thoughts?

I'd think if you did it at 70.3 pace or easier it would be a good last long run, but racing it could be a stressor you don't need. I'd also not want to race it just in case I hurt something. 

2022-09-09 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Hey Guys! I'd love to hear some of your input on something. I am doing IMNC 70.3 on Saturday, Oct 15th. I am going home to London, Ontario the last week of Sept/first weekend of Oct and there is a half marathon that weekend I was contemplating doing. Do you think doing a half marathon two weeks prior to my half ironman would be beneficial or harmful? In 2009, I did the marathon portion of Beach to Battleship full distance ironman race two week prior to IMAZ however, I was only 30 years old at the time. I have two thoughts. 1. It might be a good confidence booster to get miles in and know I can do it. 2. It might too much being that the 1/2 ironman race is only 2 weeks from then. What are your thoughts?

What are your goals for the 70.3? If your goals are on the pointy end, the half marathon is probably not a good idea. The run is the first thing to taper.  An open half marathon is typically run at a faster pace than a 70.3 run and especially a 70.3 training run.

However, if you are not trying to win your age group or qualify for worlds, etc. and you do want to do the half marathon, go for it. I'd probably build in some post HM active recovery.

2022-09-09 6:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I'd think if you did it at 70.3 pace or easier it would be a good last long run, but racing it could be a stressor you don't need. I'd also not want to race it just in case I hurt something. 

AM, sadly, you don't need to race to hurt something. :-/

2022-09-09 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

No kidding!

2022-09-09 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No kidding!

It's OK. I manage to flare up my foot but putting on dress shoes after running.  They were just Allbirds but I guess they did not have enough support for my "tired" feet?  Not bad enough for Run Jail but still...

2022-09-09 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

No kidding!

It's OK. I manage to flare up my foot but putting on dress shoes after running.  They were just Allbirds but I guess they did not have enough support for my "tired" feet?  Not bad enough for Run Jail but still...

Yikes! I refuse to believe that any of our injuries have anything to do with getting older. They are all just bad luck. 

2022-09-09 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No kidding!

Yikes! I refuse to believe that any of our injuries have anything to do with getting older. They are all just bad luck. 

Clearly!

2022-09-09 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I think a half marathon would be a good option 2 weeks before a 70.3. 

It should help you dial in your race effort which will help with pacing in the 70.3.  It also will provide some high intensity work which you need about two weeks before a 70.3.  You want to be doing race intensity workouts leading up to your taper.  A half marathon will be just that.

I kind of stumbled on to a back-to-back race phenomenon out of stupidity.  I train for a big race, go do it, then a week or two later a small race pops up and even though I am still sore and stiff from the big race I go and do the small race just because I'm dumb.  After doing that 3-4 times I noticed that I PR'd every time in the smaller race.  I am not sure why.  I do know that I did a high intensity race then nothing but recovery for 1-2 weeks after that, and then raced again, but faster. Even if I am sore and beat up and feel slow my small races 1-2 weeks after big races are where I get my best times.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-09-09 8:59 AM
2022-09-09 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

No kidding!

I agree with Ann Marie - think about the stressor and if you could run a more comfortable pace (do it!) or you must race it (then don't) because we all act differently at the start line of a race! LOL!  I think you said you had some pain with running a few weeks ago right? I've done that race before - it's a nice one and not crazy hilly or tough but definitely depending on how you approach it is really the key matter and making sure you hit IMNC 70.3 start line feeling good.

2022-09-09 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Robin K-C - Harvest Moon 70.3
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3
Leanne - White Lake International on Sunday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-09-09 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Lots of racers this weekend! Go ladies and Jim!!

2022-09-09 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

LOL!  Ladies and Jim

2022-09-09 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

LOL!  Ladies and Jim

Good luck and have so much fun out there!!! 

2022-09-09 6:10 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck Jim and Leanne!

I have decided not to race. After record temps near or at 100 this week, Mother Nature has decided that it should be in the mid 40s and rain tomorrow. I have no desire to get out of a lake with the real feel temp projected at 42°, get on my bike in the rain, ride on a busy highway, descend a hill where your speed gets to 35-40mph (twice!), and then run, in the rain and cold.

So, I think I might do 3 hours on the trainer and then go run on the treadmill for my race. My sister and I are going to the Big Island in a few weeks so my swim will be there.

Or I might just eat pancakes tomorrow.
2022-09-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck Jim and Leanne! I have decided not to race. After record temps near or at 100 this week, Mother Nature has decided that it should be in the mid 40s and rain tomorrow. I have no desire to get out of a lake with the real feel temp projected at 42°, get on my bike in the rain, ride on a busy highway, descend a hill where your speed gets to 35-40mph (twice!), and then run, in the rain and cold. So, I think I might do 3 hours on the trainer and then go run on the treadmill for my race. My sister and I are going to the Big Island in a few weeks so my swim will be there. Or I might just eat pancakes tomorrow.

oh no, Mother Nature can be mean!! I would bail too, that is way too cold and potentially dangerous. Pancakes sound better than a 3 hour trainer ride and treadmill run, so I vote for that.

2022-09-10 3:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Thanks for all your input!

While I would like to say I can do a 'half marathon' just as a training run I know myself and that will not be the case. And...I have had some lower pelvic pain AFTER doing too much running lately so I am may opt out. I have my Olympic distance race today (it's raining cats & dogs) and then in two weeks a sprint race so I think those two efforts will be good.

While my goals is not to 'win' my AG nor do I think I am anywhere near being able to qualify for Worlds my goal is to do my best.

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the well wishes.

I am hoping I'm not seeing a theme with all this rain! Rain for Tour D'Apple, now rain today. At least today's course is flat.
2022-09-10 3:33 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
@Curtis: I have had the same luck post race with PRs. I did IMAZ in Nov 2011 and then did a 5km Turkey Trot a few days later and PR'd. Strange!

Good luck everyone this weekend! Can't wait to read race reports!

Edited by canadarn2001 2022-09-10 3:36 AM
2022-09-10 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

LOL!  Ladies and Jim

2022-09-10 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Thanks for all your input! While I would like to say I can do a 'half marathon' just as a training run I know myself and that will not be the case. And...I have had some lower pelvic pain AFTER doing too much running lately so I am may opt out. I have my Olympic distance race today (it's raining cats & dogs) and then in two weeks a sprint race so I think those two efforts will be good. While my goals is not to 'win' my AG nor do I think I am anywhere near being able to qualify for Worlds my goal is to do my best. You guys are the best! Thanks for all the well wishes. I am hoping I'm not seeing a theme with all this rain! Rain for Tour D'Apple, now rain today. At least today's course is flat.

I couldn't not race a race either, so I feel ya!  I also agree that the Olympic and sprint will be enough intensity to help sharpen you for the 70.3.

So, I agree you shouldn't run the half. I'm sure that makes you feel way better about your decision

Sorry about all the rain you've been having - keep those wheels down!

2022-09-10 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Leanne, Good luck in your race.

Robin, I would bail too! While cold and rainy seems to be my sweet spot, 40 is dangerously cold, especially when you are wet. Plus throw is a wet hill. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. It does sound like a perfect day to go duck hunting.

Looks like rain might be touch and go for me tomorrow, but the temperature will be in the 60's. My swim is in a protected harbor and too small to even get white caps or any kind of surf. You can see Lake Michigan at the entrance of the harbor and the Lake has 10ft + breaking surf, because of the front that is coming in.

2022-09-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
One last thing, My bib number is 500, if anyone is tracking.
2022-09-10 5:33 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

September 10-11
Jim - IM Michigan 70.3

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck Jim and Leanne! I have decided not to race. After record temps near or at 100 this week, Mother Nature has decided that it should be in the mid 40s and rain tomorrow. I have no desire to get out of a lake with the real feel temp projected at 42°, get on my bike in the rain, ride on a busy highway, descend a hill where your speed gets to 35-40mph (twice!), and then run, in the rain and cold. So, I think I might do 3 hours on the trainer and then go run on the treadmill for my race. My sister and I are going to the Big Island in a few weeks so my swim will be there. Or I might just eat pancakes tomorrow.

Ride and then pancakes?  Whatever you decide, I totally get it. a 60 degree temperature swing is crazy!

2022-09-10 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 @Curtis: I have had the same luck post race with PRs. I did IMAZ in Nov 2011 and then did a 5km Turkey Trot a few days later and PR'd. Strange! Good luck everyone this weekend! Can't wait to read race reports!

Leanne, congrats on your finish! Second woman overall and first in your age group? Wow!

2022-09-10 5:37 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Leanne, Good luck in your race. Robin, I would bail too! While cold and rainy seems to be my sweet spot, 40 is dangerously cold, especially when you are wet. Plus throw is a wet hill. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. It does sound like a perfect day to go duck hunting. Looks like rain might be touch and go for me tomorrow, but the temperature will be in the 60's. My swim is in a protected harbor and too small to even get white caps or any kind of surf. You can see Lake Michigan at the entrance of the harbor and the Lake has 10ft + breaking surf, because of the front that is coming in.

Go, Jim! Go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29107 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93