BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-02 6:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by cdban66

Adrienne, I think that you have received a bunch of graet advice. Mine is very simple and to the point. Do what makes you happy. Go run in the mountains, on the roads, in a group and alone. Do it all, not to be the best in the world, but to be the best you.  There is a lot to be gained by rereading your treadmill advice and applying it to other things.  Use the tools you have to improve.

I think that where I get stuck is that there are two elements within "what makes me happy" when it comes to running and they contradict one another a bit, one is the pure joy of doing it and the other is pushing myself to, as you say, be the best me. To push myself to be the best me, I have to sacrifice a little of that joy (IE executing a challenging workout a couple times a week.

And I am sure this is true of everyone. We are all in this because we enjoy it (or I hope so!) but we also all need to push ourselves, too. And while satisfying (particularly afterward) it's not always pure joy. 

If it were up to me and I could be my best me by meandering around in the mountains every day, I totally would! 

2015-12-02 8:08 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Adrienne, I think that you have received a bunch of graet advice. Mine is very simple and to the point. Do what makes you happy. Go run in the mountains, on the roads, in a group and alone. Do it all, not to be the best in the world, but to be the best you.  There is a lot to be gained by rereading your treadmill advice and applying it to other things.  Use the tools you have to improve.

I think that where I get stuck is that there are two elements within "what makes me happy" when it comes to running and they contradict one another a bit, one is the pure joy of doing it and the other is pushing myself to, as you say, be the best me. To push myself to be the best me, I have to sacrifice a little of that joy (IE executing a challenging workout a couple times a week.

And I am sure this is true of everyone. We are all in this because we enjoy it (or I hope so!) but we also all need to push ourselves, too. And while satisfying (particularly afterward) it's not always pure joy. 

If it were up to me and I could be my best me by meandering around in the mountains every day, I totally would! 

I think you are saying that balance is the key. It seems to be one of the pieces of advice we all give, yet finding the balance is a challenge for most of us. I believe this is because we look at balance in the context of a week or a month.  ie, "sacrifice a little of that joy" vs "meandering around in the mountains every day".  I'm beginning to think that balance is a life long thing.  I give you example one, DubSix.  In 1987, I started down what I thought was my lifetime work path, which was restaurant ownership.  A good choice at the time, as it afforded me a few things in life, yet took away a few others. 12 years later, I wanted a different type of life, so we sold our half of the business, moved back to Florida from LI and began working in IT in the financial industry.  A completely different life, one that afforded me completely different opportunities.  And, those 2 choices have given my life more balance, due to perspective.  My point is that life affords us each different opportunities, and while I am not in favor of floating through life like a leaf on the breeze, I do believe that taking advantage of some of those changes leads to more internal balance through understanding of ourselves.  Were I you, I would be grateful for the experiences you've had road racing, Cross Country racing, and being a member of the team, but be open to the pull of something new.  Easy for me to say, yet so much harder to do when we dial in things like emotions and such.

And who is to say what we should be pushing ourselves with anyway?   Should we push to become more in tune to the world around us, push ourselves to be better runners, push ourselves to be better leaders or employees or whatever happens to be in our world at that moment?  Remember that the only constant in life is change and if we are not willing to change, then we atrophy.  And that is not good, not as runners, but even more so, not as people.

One of the items in your toolbox that I admire is your ability to think along with your willingness to push, ask, listen and adjust.  Don't overthink it all, but think it through. And have fun with the process, because in the end, what is life but a process of going from one place to another?

2015-12-02 8:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

45' on the recumbent at the gym tonight!

2015-12-02 11:28 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Jumping in for quick question... anyone tried Brooks Pure Grit trail shoes? I think a pair may be on its way to my house. Catching up with you chatterboxes later.

That's what I've been using for my long trail runs. Love them

Woohoo! They look so much smaller and yet more aggressive...30 days back with LRS, so thought I'd try. Cascadia 10s felt good, but curious about something different.

I'll be in Phoenix tomorrow but, as usual, a whirlwind trip. In tomorrow evening and out Friday afternoon. I'm going to try for a run around Tempe Town Lake tomorrow evening after I land.

I would say they are much less aggressive than the Cascadias. Just less shoe really and meant more as a more hybrid shoe, yet a little further on the trail side than the Cascadias. 

In addition to just being more shoe and traction, the Cascadia is also much more stiff. The Grit, like it's other Pure counterparts, tend to be very flexible (which I really love in a shoe

Finally, the Cascadia 9 and 10 seem to have a major defects and wear issues. Someone told me that and I discarded the comment then sure enough, I wore right though them. Brooks did replace my 9s with the 10 but I have heard the same thing about the 10 (although have yet to witness it, the shoes don't have many miles yet)

Image result for land cruiser 80 series Aggressive looking

Image result for z06     vs aggressive looking

I know...It's weird that this was actually in my head while I was looking at them  The flex and mid-foot support drew me, and I was surprised at how cushioned they felt for being less shoe. Hopefully I get to try them out this weekend.  I tried on the 10s, and my feet snuggled in happily. However, I figured I can sate my curiosity, and go back if I want.  Thanks for the info on the 9 and 10 (possibly)!

2015-12-02 11:49 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Jumping in for quick question... anyone tried Brooks Pure Grit trail shoes? I think a pair may be on its way to my house. Catching up with you chatterboxes later.

That's what I've been using for my long trail runs. Love them

Woohoo! They look so much smaller and yet more aggressive...30 days back with LRS, so thought I'd try. Cascadia 10s felt good, but curious about something different.

I'll be in Phoenix tomorrow but, as usual, a whirlwind trip. In tomorrow evening and out Friday afternoon. I'm going to try for a run around Tempe Town Lake tomorrow evening after I land.

Anything to do with a recent raid?

Bring your "winter wear". It's down in the 40/50 range. FREEZING!  (Actually below 30 the last couple of mornings. lol)

Bummer on the whirlwind.   I do see In N Out in your future though.

2015-12-03 12:03 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Well I guess I'm commited (or should be commited):

Order Number: 718871 - Monday Nov. 30, 2015 9:27 AM
Terresa Lato
Rio Rancho, NM
Behind the Rocks Ultra
50K - Registration
April 2, 2016   

WOW!!!!  Exciting and a bit scary, I'm sure!  The scary part means you've chosen an apt challenge 

Just remember this from Mad Moose Events:

" While running on the Hunter Canyon Rim Trail, please be aware of where you step so that you are sure to stay off of the Cryptobiotic Crust"  (sorry. it just rolls off the tongue  

It looks like an fantastic event!

2015-12-03 12:31 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

I'm all over the place as I skim through 5 pages...

Mary G- thank you for the Thanksgiving story!

Mary S- I couldn't read it. Literally. Couldn't. Do. It.

Randee- "beep! beep!"

Ben- good news on staples out and getting that long on recumbent already

2015-12-03 5:56 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What about working with a coach who could incorporate some of the things you love to do into your training plan? I know when I set things up with my current coach, there were chances to say if you wanted to join group workouts on a regular basis, or any other preferences or requirements you had. I'm sure if I'd said that every other Sunday I want to do a long trail run because that makes me happy, she would have accommodated for that! In my case I said that I didn't want to do many swim workouts that included only freestyle (it bores me, and makes me tired, and unlike a lot of triathletes I can swim all four strokes passably), and she's honored that! After all, with one-on-one coaching, you are paying the person to design a program for YOU, not a team or some generic athlete. And your personal goals might include not only maximizing performance but things like athletic longevity, enjoying your sport, etc.

I guess the thing with that kind of set-up is that you have to enjoy training mostly solo, and be good at pushing yourself even without others around. In my case, most of the time it's what I prefer. I actually think I train harder, especially on the bike, when I don't have others to compare myself to and get discouraged. I also kind of have my own way of going at things--I tend to be slow and sluggish early on and then get faster and more enthused as time goes on. That makes it hard for me to train with most other people--I always think everyone else starts way too fast, then dies just when I start feeling energetic! Coupled with the fact that I don't really have anyone to train with here anyway, I'm probably a perfect candidate for individual coaching.....But might be your thing, too.
2015-12-03 6:41 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Woo hoo! 

2015-12-03 6:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think you are saying that balance is the key. It seems to be one of the pieces of advice we all give, yet finding the balance is a challenge for most of us. I believe this is because we look at balance in the context of a week or a month.  ie, "sacrifice a little of that joy" vs "meandering around in the mountains every day".  I'm beginning to think that balance is a life long thing.  I give you example one, DubSix.  In 1987, I started down what I thought was my lifetime work path, which was restaurant ownership.  A good choice at the time, as it afforded me a few things in life, yet took away a few others. 12 years later, I wanted a different type of life, so we sold our half of the business, moved back to Florida from LI and began working in IT in the financial industry.  A completely different life, one that afforded me completely different opportunities.  And, those 2 choices have given my life more balance, due to perspective.  My point is that life affords us each different opportunities, and while I am not in favor of floating through life like a leaf on the breeze, I do believe that taking advantage of some of those changes leads to more internal balance through understanding of ourselves.  Were I you, I would be grateful for the experiences you've had road racing, Cross Country racing, and being a member of the team, but be open to the pull of something new.  Easy for me to say, yet so much harder to do when we dial in things like emotions and such.

And who is to say what we should be pushing ourselves with anyway?   Should we push to become more in tune to the world around us, push ourselves to be better runners, push ourselves to be better leaders or employees or whatever happens to be in our world at that moment?  Remember that the only constant in life is change and if we are not willing to change, then we atrophy.  And that is not good, not as runners, but even more so, not as people.

One of the items in your toolbox that I admire is your ability to think along with your willingness to push, ask, listen and adjust.  Don't overthink it all, but think it through. And have fun with the process, because in the end, what is life but a process of going from one place to another?

There is also the fact that pushing your self could mean many things.

• speed
  • distance
  • vertical/ascent
  • multi-day (PCT, Appalachian Trail)
  • leadership - maybe do more with Stoop or organizations like Girls on the Run
  • new experiences - some sort of 50 states thing.  I'm sure that there is a 14er group.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-12-03 6:47 AM
2015-12-03 6:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Woo hoo! 

x2, this is really good to see!!!

2015-12-03 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Woo hoo! 

Adding my woo hoo too! :D 

That's great!

2015-12-03 10:36 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Well I guess I'm commited (or should be commited):

Order Number: 718871 - Monday Nov. 30, 2015 9:27 AM
Terresa Lato
Rio Rancho, NM
Behind the Rocks Ultra
50K - Registration
April 2, 2016   

WOW!!!!  Exciting and a bit scary, I'm sure!  The scary part means you've chosen an apt challenge 

Just remember this from Mad Moose Events:

" While running on the Hunter Canyon Rim Trail, please be aware of where you step so that you are sure to stay off of the Cryptobiotic Crust"  (sorry. it just rolls off the tongue  )

It looks like an fantastic event!

Ha! We were constantly reminding our boys of that in Moab when they were young. Now they just know it.As for your temps, I'm in Taos right now where it hasn't hit 20* yet so I'm looking forward to that 60 or 70ish this afternoon!
2015-12-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by juniperjen

Woo hoo! 

That's great!

With this, a new concern has been growing in that the sling may become a bit ... funky. Trying to remember various ways to address this in our gear as I still need to wear this thing everywhere..

Therapist* this morning doesn't think it will become an issue as he's thinking I should be out of it within a few weeks. Only thinking recovery type effort level now, but that's still more power output than most would do. To give a reference point, the IF for my recovery rides has been 0.45-0.50. IM pacing and easy effort riding are both around 0.60-0.75, so a notable amount less. The power output is still 150-160 which can still bump the heat production just a little.

*- Every time now

2015-12-03 12:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo! 

That's great!

With this, a new concern has been growing in that the sling may become a bit ... funky. Trying to remember various ways to address this in our gear as I still need to wear this thing everywhere..

Therapist* this morning doesn't think it will become an issue as he's thinking I should be out of it within a few weeks. Only thinking recovery type effort level now, but that's still more power output than most would do. To give a reference point, the IF for my recovery rides has been 0.45-0.50. IM pacing and easy effort riding are both around 0.60-0.75, so a notable amount less. The power output is still 150-160 which can still bump the heat production just a little.

*- Every time now

Melanie told me to buy some hockey equipment defunker -- 2Toms Stink Free.  That seemed to do the trick.  (Melanie, please confirm.)

2015-12-03 1:15 PM

User image

Seattle

• speed
  • distance
  • vertical/ascent
  • new experiences - some sort of 50 states thing.  I'm sure that there is a 14er group.

Really excellent stuff you guys. Lots of stuff to think about for sure! 

And interesting comments on coaching too, something else I am  considering. There are certainly pros and cons. I seem to do pretty well solo and don't struggle TOO much with motivation. I also hate when people go out too fast or race workouts, further building a good case for solo workouts/coashing. Probably the biggest cons for me are finding someone I can really trust and finding someone that I think can do a better job than I can. I feel I have a really good understanding of myself, what I can handle etc. I think I would need someone who is very good at what they can do and can see things I can't. And like I said, I would really need to trust someone a lot to let them override my guts...ya know? 

Again, lots to ponder.

In the meantime, to inject some speed into the time before marathon training starts I am doing the New Balance Winter Grand Prix, a series of races that alternate between road, track and xc. Additionally, I am doing a first Friday hill climb time trial. So, fun stuff!

2015-12-03 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

• speed
  • distance
  • vertical/ascent

Really excellent stuff you guys. Lots of stuff to think about for sure! 

And interesting comments on coaching too, something else I am  considering. There are certainly pros and cons. I seem to do pretty well solo and don't struggle TOO much with motivation. I also hate when people go out too fast or race workouts, further building a good case for solo workouts/coashing. Probably the biggest cons for me are finding someone I can really trust and finding someone that I think can do a better job than I can. I feel I have a really good understanding of myself, what I can handle etc. I think I would need someone who is very good at what they can do and can see things I can't. And like I said, I would really need to trust someone a lot to let them override my guts...ya know? 

Again, lots to ponder.

In the meantime, to inject some speed into the time before marathon training starts I am doing the New Balance Winter Grand Prix, a series of races that alternate between road, track and xc. Additionally, I am doing a first Friday hill climb time trial. So, fun stuff!

Salty not sure about this, but what about having a chat with the coach of your current group, telling him where your head is at and asking him if either he is willing to do it or if not does he know someone suitable? Or is he willing to mentor you while you "self coach"? By this I mean you come up with the plan and he goes through it with you and makes any suggestions or something like that.
2015-12-03 4:22 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Janyne, this reminds me what do you eventually decide to do in relation to your coach?
2015-12-03 9:59 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado

Woo hoo! 

That's great!

Woo hoo and yeheyyy!!
Mary
2015-12-04 11:16 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Here is a sunset from my backyard last week.  It was stunning.

(Sunset.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Sunset.jpg (1556KB - 3 downloads)
2015-12-04 11:18 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by popsracer

Steve gets my vote for best backyard!!!

2015-12-04 11:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Steve gets my vote for best backyard!!!

That's amazing!

2015-12-04 11:33 AM

Master
Northern IL

In terms of the actual running on part, think of ways you can leverage the treadmill. What are the good things? The things that come to my mind are: consistent pacing, availability of water/food without having to carry it, not having to brave the elements, safety. So, given the things you come up with, build your treadmill session around those things. Maybe do a workout that requires you to maintain a consistent pace (like a tempo) or practice fueling/hydration options that you might not otherwise want to carry. Etc.

I actually prefer drills of some kind to break things up -- something like 3x 1/2 mile @ 5k pace or some such. For me, that makes the time go faster.  Like Karen, I cannot watch TV very well on the treadmill but I do listen to music.  When I am outside, I do not use headphones but inside, it's a must.

As far as pacing, I feel like on the TM, the machine is doing the pacing, not my brain.

I vary the pace and/or grade every few minutes, and do so within the scope of the run type. Easy runs will only change speed by a few tenths. It's small, but even bouncing back and forth that little bit can notably improve things even though it's really still not going to feel awesome.

Yeah, grad it another great one. There are very few opportunities outdoors to run a steady 6% grade for 15 miles. I mean, if you are into that kind of thing

Treadmills can be great

The idea of twice that for half that comes up every now and then.

There was regular treadmill usage back at my fastest running a couple years ago. What do I need to accomplish with each run and how is it best to accomplish that?

2015-12-04 12:10 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Janyne, this reminds me what do you eventually decide to do in relation to your coach?

I'm working with someone that I met through my tri club for Chattanooga and we'll see how that goes.

2015-12-04 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

December 5-6
Ann-Marie - OUC HM
Adrienne - New Balance Winter Grand Prix Road Race on Saturday
Janyne - Jingle Bell 5k on Saturday
Yanti - Ironman W Australia on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, two more weeks of the boot.
Ben - clavical.  still in sling prison but released for some activity

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54763 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67330 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28368 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11959 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66835 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.