BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-28 6:15 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Happy Thanksgiving. I am a live and mostly well.

I had a super race this morning. Just amazing since I have done hardly any training in 6 weeks. PR by about 6 1/2 minutes. I am sore now, but happy. My goal for the half marathon that I couldn't run because of travel, but was trained for, was for the last two miles not to suck. I kept that as my goal this morning, and succeeded. I almost cried coming down the chute. I beat my goal time (off my pace band) by a full minute. WHOO HOO!

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream for after race treat. It was delicious.

For those counting, I now owe you all three race reports. <hanging head in shame>

2013-11-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KansasMom

I had a super race this morning. Just amazing since I have done hardly any training in 6 weeks. PR by about 6 1/2 minutes. I am sore now, but happy. My goal for the half marathon that I couldn't run because of travel, but was trained for, was for the last two miles not to suck. I kept that as my goal this morning, and succeeded. I almost cried coming down the chute. I beat my goal time (off my pace band) by a full minute. WHOO HOO!

For those counting, I now owe you all three race reports.

Smiles, smiles, smiles!!  A BIG congrats and woooooo hoooooooo to you for a huge PR!  Way to live up to your own expectations and goals

2013-11-29 11:23 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

It's a lazy day today.  I'm gleefully ignoring the mass insanity called Black Friday.    Did bike maintenance this morning.   I replaced a failing bottom bracket and chain, fine tuned the gearing, and replaced the rear tire.         Will ride on the trainer this afternoon.  Shooting for two hours at a mostly easy pace.     Time in the saddle.   

Hmmm, I presently can do the iron swim and bike distances.  The marathon is a different story.   I have never made New Year's resolutions but next year I seriously need to concentrate on the run.   I guess I will adopt Skrat's program that he started last year.    I will run everyday, even if it's only a mile.   I can do 5K's and 10K's will little problem.   It's the half and full marathons  that need work.     Except for the Huntsville marathon that is in a few weeks there is really no long race until next spring.    No matter, if I have to I will do these distances solo.     *Runtastics running and biking apps make measuring distance ever so easy.*   It even make running at the local high school track easier.  I mean the app negates the need for counting laps.     I train under the Zen philosophy but technology is becoming ever more seductive.   

My only other worry today is what to have for lunch.    Cafe Savannah is calling my name....

2013-11-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well.  I'm back home with my mom taking it easy.  Long weekends are good stuff.

Skipped my run yesterday, naturally, but got my bike in today.

2013-11-29 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Great job Felicia! That is some PR and I think you deserve 2 pieces of pie.
2013-11-29 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

It's a lazy day today.  I'm gleefully ignoring the mass insanity called Black Friday.    Did bike maintenance this morning.   I replaced a failing bottom bracket and chain, fine tuned the gearing, and replaced the rear tire.         Will ride on the trainer this afternoon.  Shooting for two hours at a mostly easy pace.     Time in the saddle.   

Hmmm, I presently can do the iron swim and bike distances.  The marathon is a different story.   I have never made New Year's resolutions but next year I seriously need to concentrate on the run.   I guess I will adopt Skrat's program that he started last year.    I will run everyday, even if it's only a mile.   I can do 5K's and 10K's will little problem.   It's the half and full marathons  that need work.     Except for the Huntsville marathon that is in a few weeks there is really no long race until next spring.    No matter, if I have to I will do these distances solo.     *Runtastics running and biking apps make measuring distance ever so easy.*   It even make running at the local high school track easier.  I mean the app negates the need for counting laps.     I train under the Zen philosophy but technology is becoming ever more seductive.   

My only other worry today is what to have for lunch.    Cafe Savannah is calling my name....

OK Michael I have a bike question for you. I can wield a screwdriver reasonably well (you learn this stuff when your married to a carpenter). I'm fairly sure that my front derailer needs adjusting cause it gets that ticking noise when you change gears if you don't get it in exactly the right place. Is this something that I can tackle myself. Is it something that I can stuff up majorly, or should I just take to the LBS.

I have ordered a Zinn bike maintenance book and am going to take up Switch's January challenge so I can learn to service my own bike, but my book most likely won't get here until Christmas - it has to circumnavigate the globe 3 times on its way from Amazon

2013-11-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

OK Michael I have a bike question for you. I can wield a screwdriver reasonably well (you learn this stuff when your married to a carpenter). I'm fairly sure that my front derailer needs adjusting cause it gets that ticking noise when you change gears if you don't get it in exactly the right place. Is this something that I can tackle myself. Is it something that I can stuff up majorly, or should I just take to the LBS. I have ordered a Zinn bike maintenance book and am going to take up Switch's January challenge so I can learn to service my own bike, but my book most likely won't get here until Christmas - it has to circumnavigate the globe 3 times on its way from Amazon

Are your shifters the friction type or the discrete  type?   Does the clicking occur for all gear selection or does it do it only on the top gear or the bottom gear?   There are small adjustment points on the derailleur that can, with a turn or two of a screwdriver, take the clicking away.   Just need a bit more info.

2013-11-29 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

OK Michael I have a bike question for you. I can wield a screwdriver reasonably well (you learn this stuff when your married to a carpenter). I'm fairly sure that my front derailer needs adjusting cause it gets that ticking noise when you change gears if you don't get it in exactly the right place. Is this something that I can tackle myself. Is it something that I can stuff up majorly, or should I just take to the LBS. I have ordered a Zinn bike maintenance book and am going to take up Switch's January challenge so I can learn to service my own bike, but my book most likely won't get here until Christmas - it has to circumnavigate the globe 3 times on its way from Amazon

Are your shifters the friction type or the discrete  type?   Does the clicking occur for all gear selection or does it do it only on the top gear or the bottom gear?   There are small adjustment points on the derailleur that can, with a turn or two of a screwdriver, take the clicking away.   Just need a bit more info.

Ok I don't understand that first question at all. My shifters are incorporated into my brake levers, does that help?

My gears have 3 front rings. The clicking occurs when changing from the biggest one to the middle on or vice-versa.

Perhaps I should just take it to the LBS or get my DH to help me.
2013-11-29 8:42 PM

User image

Master

Ok I don't understand that first question at all. My shifters are incorporated into my brake levers, does that help? My gears have 3 front rings. The clicking occurs when changing from the biggest one to the middle on or vice-versa. Perhaps I should just take it to the LBS or get my DH to help me.

Nope. That's enough info.   On your derailleur there should be two screws right next to each other, near the top of the derailleur.   These are the ones you want to play with.  Start buy choosing one screw and give it half a turn.  Turn the pedals and try shifting.  If the clicking gets better then try another half turn.   Fine turn iwith quarter turns.   If the clicking gets worse return to the original position and try the same on the other screw.   

2013-11-29 9:00 PM

User image

Master
2013-11-29 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Try this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxV_vKlgolc
thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

2013-11-30 7:09 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Nice job!!

Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving!!

I had my bike fit yesterday. I was there for almost FOUR HOURS. I walked in with a printout of every TRI bike I thought worth considering and I figured because of my size (SMALL) at least half would be ruled out before we even started looking at specs. WELL turns out that since I'm in much better shape than I was 4 years ago (last time I shopped for a bike) and the geometries of tri bikes I fit into MOST. Ok, so we knocked a few out based on my shop's bad customer service knowledge and a few for size.

So for serious consideration we are left with:
Trek Speed Concept ('14 had big changes and is the most expensive on the list)
Trek Speed Concept ('13 there is a chance of getting a 13 which is heavier than the '14 but could mean HUGE $ savings)
Felt B12 (no thoughts)
Felt DA4 - Just saw it on the website and will ask LBS to look at this one

I'm having a hard time comparing apples to apples with these things.......is the big price difference worth the Trek? My Madone is the same 500 series carbon that the SC uses and I love that - so even though it's more expensive I think in my head that's in the lead. Of course it's like $1K more than I wanted to spend.

I can also add more to the list if there are some worth considering you think I've missed. The Shiv standover is too tall so that's out. Two others I had thought of are the Cannondale Slice and the Giant Trinity.

I'm so confused (FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS).

THanks for reading my ramble.
2013-11-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Nice job!!Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving!!I had my bike fit yesterday. I was there for almost FOUR HOURS. I walked in with a printout of every TRI bike I thought worth considering and I figured because of my size (SMALL) at least half would be ruled out before we even started looking at specs. WELL turns out that since I'm in much better shape than I was 4 years ago (last time I shopped for a bike) and the geometries of tri bikes I fit into MOST. Ok, so we knocked a few out based on my shop's bad customer service knowledge and a few for size.So for serious consideration we are left with:Trek Speed Concept ('14 had big changes and is the most expensive on the list)Trek Speed Concept ('13 there is a chance of getting a 13 which is heavier than the '14 but could mean HUGE $ savings)Felt B12 (no thoughts)Felt DA4 - Just saw it on the website and will ask LBS to look at this one I'm having a hard time comparing apples to apples with these things.......is the big price difference worth the Trek? My Madone is the same 500 series carbon that the SC uses and I love that - so even though it's more expensive I think in my head that's in the lead. Of course it's like $1K more than I wanted to spend.I can also add more to the list if there are some worth considering you think I've missed. The Shiv standover is too tall so that's out. Two others I had thought of are the Cannondale Slice and the Giant Trinity.I'm so confused (FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS). THanks for reading my ramble.
Ooh, bike shopping; such fun! I wish I could help you out, but I own a cervelo p2 and have 0 experience with the bikes you list. However, with the quality of those bikes, I imagine it really will come down to which one you like best. Still, I'll leave it to the bike peeps to really help you decide.
2013-11-30 10:12 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk 

I had my bike fit yesterday. I was there for almost FOUR HOURS. I walked in with a printout of every TRI bike I thought worth considering and I figured because of my size (SMALL) at least half would be ruled out before we even started looking at specs. WELL turns out that since I'm in much better shape than I was 4 years ago (last time I shopped for a bike) and the geometries of tri bikes I fit into MOST. Ok, so we knocked a few out based on my shop's bad customer service knowledge and a few for size. So for serious consideration we are left with: Trek Speed Concept ('14 had big changes and is the most expensive on the list) Trek Speed Concept ('13 there is a chance of getting a 13 which is heavier than the '14 but could mean HUGE $ savings) Felt B12 (no thoughts) Felt DA4 - Just saw it on the website and will ask LBS to look at this one I'm having a hard time comparing apples to apples with these things.......is the big price difference worth the Trek? My Madone is the same 500 series carbon that the SC uses and I love that - so even though it's more expensive I think in my head that's in the lead. Of course it's like $1K more than I wanted to spend. I can also add more to the list if there are some worth considering you think I've missed. The Shiv standover is too tall so that's out. Two others I had thought of are the Cannondale Slice and the Giant Trinity. I'm so confused (FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS). THanks for reading my ramble.

Which Speed Concept(s) are you looking at, or is understanding the line-up the issue? Trek's entire tri-bike line-up is under Speed Concept. They have 2 levels of frame, The Series 7 and Series 9. The 7 is the more value oriented and 9 is more going all-in for the best. For the 9 Series, the '13 to '14 differences are slight. The only notable thing that may matter I can think of is with the aerobar. The fit to the pads and hand placement is the same, but instead of 2 bars going out front, they made it into a single mono extension. Where this comes into play is with hydration. I don't believe bottles like a Torhans or Profile Design will work with it, as those are meant to drop between the bars. A between the arms (BTA) water bottle should still work somehow and believe they have an adapter for the bike for this. I don't remember if swapping aerobars is an option for someone who wants to run a reservoir type hydration setup. There are other things like easier to work on bars, easier to adjust brakes and such, some speed tweaks, but that's the only fit type thing I can recall. The differences between models (like 9.5 to 9.9) is entirely in the components and wheel selection. 

For the 7 Series, the '13 to '14 are more notable as the frame is different, much more like the 9 series in the new ones. The '14 will be an very good value, although the '13 models will be on sale now, making it a competition that way. The geometry for fit should still be there. Series 7 & 9 are the same in that regard for '14. I forget if Series 7 '13 to '14 is, but there were some changes up front. The '13 line had a traditional steerer up front that would use a stem and more typical aerobar setup. The '14 is integrated as it's the same as the Series 9. The 7.0 looks like the older steerer, but that is actually what's called a Steerer Stub. Up to this point there is no difference in the frame. The stub is just an attachment to have a fork steerer tube section up top so that different aerobars can be used, beyond the integrated one. Any of the '14 models (Series 7 & 9) can use this stub, they just figure most everyone will go with the integrated. And if the integrated works, probably should as it's a slick setup. Other differences in Seris 7 models are just what they decided to package together. The frame is otherwise the same.

The Custom option for each is what they call Project One. You can pick out options for about everything on the bike there. Well beyond what the specific floor model packages will have if none of those are quite to your liking.

2013-11-30 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Ok I don't understand that first question at all. My shifters are incorporated into my brake levers, does that help?

My gears have 3 front rings. The clicking occurs when changing from the biggest one to the middle on or vice-versa.

Perhaps I should just take it to the LBS or get my DH to help me.

Are they Shimano gear levers/derailleurs? If so, there is the ability to half shift with the lever. Just mentioning it just in case that is all that's needed before messing around with adjustment screws.
2013-11-30 11:45 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Ok I don't understand that first question at all. My shifters are incorporated into my brake levers, does that help? My gears have 3 front rings. The clicking occurs when changing from the biggest one to the middle on or vice-versa. Perhaps I should just take it to the LBS or get my DH to help me.
Are they Shimano gear levers/derailleurs? If so, there is the ability to half shift with the lever. Just mentioning it just in case that is all that's needed before messing around with adjustment screws.

Haven't said anything yet to (hopefully) avoid confusing things with multiple voices chiming in, but like Darren, am still kind of wondering about specifics of the problem. Front deraileurs aren't the most pleasant things to work with. The video Michael posted can help in understanding how things work, but do take it in, and think through the process again to see what questions come to mind before taking the FD apart.

2013-11-30 4:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by brigby1

Which Speed Concept(s) are you looking at, or is understanding the line-up the issue?

the 7 - there's no way my first tri bike out of the gate will be a 9. I completely understand the line up - the issue is comparing across brands. Is the 500 level carbon on the 7 series really comparable to the flavor of carbon used on the Felt B series? No idea really - but based on price, I'm guessing it's not. 2014 Trek Speed concept 7.5 approx $4,500, Felt B12 $2,999 (parts generally Ultegra on both). My Madone is a 500 (same material) project 1 from 2009 - the last year I think they were made in the USA and P1 was an option at that level. I LOVE that bike.

Carl from Trek on ST answered my question asking what the differences were between the 13 and 14 7.0:

"It's an entirely new, aerodynamically faster bike.

The old 7-series shared tube shapes with the 9-series beginning just behind the headtube because it used a more traditional front end (no integrated brakes, no external-steerer "bayonet" style fork). You also couldn't upgrade to a 9-series front end on the 7-series frame.

For 2014 there's no difference in frame shapes between the 7- and 9-series, the 7.5 even comes with exactly the same cockpit as the 9 (and the 7.0 can be upgraded to the same thing), 7-series is now available on Project One for your component and paint customization desires, and it's quite a bit lighter than the old 7."

I've been thinking about this a lot since I typed it up....I guess my problem is that my gut tells me to go with the Trek but I didn't want to spend that much. An other option is to get a 2014 7.0 but that's a 10 speed 105 and not an 11 speed ultegra which would probably not make me happy but I'd get the frame I want and can upgrade components later. Or, if I get the Felt, will I be happy? This purchase is part blind faith.

Thanks for your input - keep it coming!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-30 4:52 PM
2013-11-30 7:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Haven't said anything yet to (hopefully) avoid confusing things with multiple voices chiming in, but like Darren, am still kind of wondering about specifics of the problem. Front deraileurs aren't the most pleasant things to work with. The video Michael posted can help in understanding how things work, but do take it in, and think through the process again to see what questions come to mind before taking the FD apart.

Thanks guys. I. Haven't touched anything. During my ride yesterday I fiddled around a bit more with my gear changes. Yes there is a double shift required to move from the big ring to the middle ring and back, which I did know about but it just seems to not be quite right even after the double shift (by the way is that what they mean by "trim"?).

I also noticed that my rear gears aren't changing all that smoothly either. My bike is a poverty pack so it only has Sora components on it, anyway I decided that it needs to go to the LBS for a couple service and some new bar tape, which will not be white!
2013-12-01 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
A quiet weekend in the pod this weekend.

Forecast for Yanti's IM in Busselton this weekend is mostly sunny with a top of 26*C (78F) with light winds. So looking good hopefully it will stay that way.
2013-12-02 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations racers!  Way to go!

Awesome news Darren!  Now to keep everyone well...

Randee, I find bike shopping to be very personal.  I'm sure that you'll end up with a great bike!  I have both a Felt and a Trek and both are great bikes.

2013-12-02 7:29 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatees, what is your favorite winter running tight?  I'm in the market for a new pair.

2013-12-02 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Manatees, what is your favorite winter running tight?  I'm in the market for a new pair.

I have a pair of Asiscs that I got a few years ago from a clearance sale. The ankles have a silicon band on them that is not too tight or loose. I wish I knew the model number, but I have been unable to find it. And no, I don't use them very often at all, so take any recommendation from me on cold weather gear with a grain of salt.

2013-12-02 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sometimes if it's really cold, I'll wear a pair of under armor compression shorts under my running shorts and maybe calf sleeves. Does that help

sorry your first 2 responses were from the Florida manatees!

2013-12-02 8:37 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Sometimes if it's really cold, I'll wear a pair of under armor compression shorts under my running shorts and maybe calf sleeves. Does that help

sorry your first 2 responses were from the Florida manatees!

Haha!  I'll take what I can get. 

2013-12-02 9:09 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm a baby about running outside -but everyone I know that has those Brooks Utopia tights or pants (they make both) love them!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.