BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

tea

Time for a tea break, Stacey, Mary, Matt and Erin!  You can join in, too, Robin with your iced tea! Stacey, you inspired me to have English Breakfast today, I alternate between Earl Grey and this at work, but have other varieties at home.  Darjeeling = yum!  Jasmine = swoon!

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-16 1:20 PM

2015-01-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

Stories from your grandparents?!?! OK, now I'm feeling pretty old.

Nah, I think it was their first year of trying out the snow-bird thing as they had JUST retired.  

Hey, I'm older than Salty, at least I was BORN when it erupted!!! 

2015-01-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Okay I have my Flat White (and a bag of Brookside)

Mel I like the raspberry, it's like drinking fruit juice! I got my LTS to carry Skratch but they sell out quickly. I can find some at REI when we go there but usually order straight from Skratch. (tried to visit them the weekend of Oktoberfest tri but they are closed on Saturdays).  DS2 prefers the pineapple which is easy to find. Lemon-lime is my next go-to after Matcha.

2015-01-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

The sun is out here too, finally.      The temperature is in the 50's.    It's a bloody heat wave.  Today's ride will NOT be on the trainer.     Time to pump up the tires and hit the road.    After that I'm thinking of going to the local high school and see if the football field is solid enough to do an easy barefoot run.    

Gotta take advantage of the weather window. It behooves us to take advantage of the weather window.   It's supposed to last three days.   Then back to winter.  Multitask to maximize.  Thinking, amongst other things, to go kayaking tomorrow.    Break out the grill and the frozen concoction machine.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2015-01-16 1:27 PM
2015-01-16 1:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

And while we are talking about volcanoes, something I find fascinating are the Three Sisters in Oregon. 

There are three of them, grouped very close together yet all very different. One if extinct, one inactive and one active. They were all formed during separate time periods. 

I'm going to run Mt. Bachelor (also a volcano) for the mountain running national championship then plan to head to South sister and run-summit in July. 

You see some pretty cool stuff. I do miss Colorado's 14ers but I guess I could avail myself more to the mountains we have here.

Oh, so talking with DS2 last night... it's still way way down the road but he was saying the type of sub he wants to crew is only at the base in GA and the one in WA. So I may be visiting (a lot) in a couple years

2015-01-16 1:29 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This is high on my fav list:

I need to try this:

2015-01-16 1:31 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Time for a tea break, Stacey, Mary, Matt and Erin!  You can join in, too, Robin with your iced tea! Stacey, you inspired me to have English Breakfast today, I alternate between Earl Grey and this at work, but have other varieties at home.  Darjeeling = yum!  Jasmine = swoon!

So y'all are having High Tea?

2015-01-16 1:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

With our pinkies extended, yes!  

2015-01-16 1:41 PM

User image

Seattle

And while we are talking about volcanoes, something I find fascinating are the Three Sisters in Oregon. 

There are three of them, grouped very close together yet all very different. One if extinct, one inactive and one active. They were all formed during separate time periods. 

I'm going to run Mt. Bachelor (also a volcano) for the mountain running national championship then plan to head to South sister and run-summit in July. 

You see some pretty cool stuff. I do miss Colorado's 14ers but I guess I could avail myself more to the mountains we have here.

Oh, so talking with DS2 last night... it's still way way down the road but he was saying the type of sub he wants to crew is only at the base in GA and the one in WA. So I may be visiting (a lot) in a couple years

Sub as in submarine? 

2015-01-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

The sun is out here too, finally.      The temperature is in the 50's.    It's a bloody heat wave.  Today's ride will NOT be on the trainer.     Time to pump up the tires and hit the road.    After that I'm thinking of going to the local high school and see if the football field is solid enough to do an easy barefoot run.    

Gotta take advantage of the weather window. It behooves us to take advantage of the weather window.   It's supposed to last three days.   Then back to winter.  Multitask to maximize.  Thinking, amongst other things, to go kayaking tomorrow.    Break out the grill and the frozen concoction machine.

DOOOOOOO EEEEETTTT, DOOOOOO EEEEEEET AAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!  Heat wave here, too.  39, LOL.

2015-01-16 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sub as in submarine? 

Yes. He goes in in a couple weeks *sigh*. He'll spend a couple years in Charleston (where I'll get to meet Janyne) after which he is stationed on a submarine. So my son who currently has a degree in abnormal psychology from UCLA will also have a degree in nuclear engineering from MIT.  

2015-01-16 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

DOOOOOOO EEEEETTTT, DOOOOOO EEEEEEET AAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!  Heat wave here, too.  39, LOL.

We're in the 50's. Loving it.

2015-01-16 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I think we broke 40 here today.  w00t!!!!

2015-01-16 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

With our pinkies extended, yes!  

I'm totally picturing you doing that . I didn't see a crumpet in the picture tho...

2015-01-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Did my first Sufferfest video in two years at lunch today, "The Rookie", which if you go by IF is the easiest one outside of Elements of Style.  OMG that hurt. 

The ToS is going to kill me. 

2015-01-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Did my first Sufferfest video in two years at lunch today, "The Rookie", which if you go by IF is the easiest one outside of Elements of Style.  OMG that hurt. 

One of these winters I'll do a bike focus and attempt the Tos. This is not that year

Good luck to you and all the others that take it on!

2015-01-16 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Yeah but an hour at that IF is a lot harder than Violator which is a bunch of sprints.  It partially depends on what your strength is too.  The Rookie is my favorite video, and I've done them all.  It does a great job of capturing how chaotic pacing in a race can be.

2015-01-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

I need to try this:

I'm thoroughly addicted to these...

good

2015-01-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Stories from your grandparents?!?! OK, now I'm feeling pretty old.

Nah, I think it was their first year of trying out the snow-bird thing as they had JUST retired.  

Hey, I'm older than Salty, at least I was BORN when it erupted!!! 

Hey welcome back Mrs. Homeowner!

2015-01-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by msteiner

Yeah but an hour at that IF is a lot harder than Violator which is a bunch of sprints.  It partially depends on what your strength is too.  The Rookie is my favorite video, and I've done them all.  It does a great job of capturing how chaotic pacing in a race can be.

Yeah, it was tough trying to get the pace right and come anywhere close to the targets on TR, plus I had the video running on my Galaxy Tab and TR on my laptop and they got a little out of synch.  As far the IF goes, I think it'd be way easier to ride an hour at 90% FTP than do that nonsense.  I was cooked pretty good about 1/3 of the way through the third 10' session.

2015-01-16 2:08 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

I like that one too, though I haven't really gone after it yet to see just how much they push. Haven't really pushed the bike in awhile. Pretty much all of the vids should hurt in one way or another.

2015-01-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I need to try this:

Apple-Cinnamon!!

2015-01-16 2:15 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It should be an excellent weekend. Climbing tonight, racing the trails tomorrow, climbing Sunday, Hiking/Splitboarding Monday. 

Prepping for a summit of Mt. St. Helens next weekend (weather permitting

Yeah, that one...

Wow.  Quite the weekend.  I was a freshman at University of Washington when it blew.  A buddy and I snuck into the blast zone the day after to get a peek.  We went in on a small dirt road and there were people coming out the other way in shock.  I remember a car coming out stopped and said "you don't want to go in there"  but we were dumb college kids drinking beer most of the way.  Anyway, it's an awesome sight and should be an interesting climb.  Be careful though.

Good luck on the race.  I wish I was going but we'll see you at Lake Sam. GO HAWKS!!!

I wasn't born yet

My boss's mother summited before it erupted. I think that is so cool to be able to say. My family was on a camping trip when it erupted I guess. They said the ash came down like snow and they had to put diapers on their face to breathe. I bet that was so surreal. 

Did you get any pics of the blast zone? Was there still a lot of ash in the air?

[/QUOTE

Didn't think to bring a camera.  We left in the middle of the night after a party on one of those impromptu alcohol induced road trips a la Animal House.  We were on the other side of most of the ash cloud.  It had rained so it was more ash mud everywhere.  It was very surreal.  Everyone was so scared and in shock around the blast zone.  We really only got into the fringe of the true carnage but it was vast.  Much of it looks very different today as nature has hidden/healed many of the scars upon the landscape.   I remember as a little boy puttering around on Spirit Lake in a small motorboat that we rented from Harry Truman at his small lodge.  We were amazed at the pumice that would float in the water.  The entire Lake was destroyed along with Harry.  He refused to evacuate.

Wow!!!

So cool. 

What was so cool at the time was that I was taking Geology 101 at U of W which was the epicenter of study on the whole thing.  The professors just threw out the textbook and brought in seismograph stuff and pictures as they studied the pre-eruption phase.  They were like kids in a candy store.  As we heard changes in the situation on the news as it unfolded they lectured on the science behind it and their speculations.  That is why we were so interested to see it first hand.

2015-01-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I need to try this:

Apple-Cinnamon!!

(EL.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
EL.bmp (29KB - 1 downloads)
2015-01-16 2:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, it was tough trying to get the pace right and come anywhere close to the targets on TR, plus I had the video running on my Galaxy Tab and TR on my laptop and they got a little out of synch.  As far the IF goes, I think it'd be way easier to ride an hour at 90% FTP than do that nonsense.  I was cooked pretty good about 1/3 of the way through the third 10' session.

That shows the depends on what you're used to. A steady 90% for a full hour is not easy. Might seem like it at first, but it can get to you in the later part. I think you're also better off with the intervals.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55448 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.