BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by KansasMom

Good morning, all. I finally finished Daniels' book, so I am going to run over to that thread and see if I can figure out what I didn't understand. LOL I am starting his second level (red? or blue?), the level above white. I'll do that for eight weeks, (assuming I don't come down with another strange ailment -- I pulled a muscle in my upper abdomen this weekend coughing. ouch!) then move into marathon training.

Speaking of . . . My step-daughter is getting married on the day of the trail marathon I signed up for. :-( I'll go to the wedding, of course, if I can get the time off from work, but I'm still disappointed. I need to find another marathon for the middle of April to the first of May. I prefer trail or dirt road.

We are going to see my mom for Christmas, so if Salty is still around here somewhere . . . I see a meet-up in our future. Someone else is up in that area, but I can't remember who right now. Kristen? It's the final week of classes here, and my brain is fried. I'd love to find a New Year's run to do in that area while I'm there.

Jayson's (7 year old) Christmas program is tonight. He is a penguin.

I'm about 3 weeks in to that JD plan and love it!!!

Bummer about the wedding being on race day  Hopefully you can find a suitable replacement.

Jealous of your Washington state trip! Lots of Diners Drive Ins and Dives places up there in addition to Salty, Kristen and Chad!

Kid Christmas programs rock!

Good luck with finals!

I'm looking at a Farolito run in December but would prefer to have DH or DS1 run it with me. DS2 wants to but he's still on foot injury rest. This is what a Farolito run looks like. Cool, no?

Edited by rrrunner 2013-12-03 11:08 AM

2013-12-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good morning, all. I finally finished Daniels' book, so I am going to run over to that thread and see if I can figure out what I didn't understand. LOL I am starting his second level (red? or blue?), the level above white. I'll do that for eight weeks, (assuming I don't come down with another strange ailment -- I pulled a muscle in my upper abdomen this weekend coughing. ouch!) then move into marathon training.

Speaking of . . . My step-daughter is getting married on the day of the trail marathon I signed up for. :-( I'll go to the wedding, of course, if I can get the time off from work, but I'm still disappointed. I need to find another marathon for the middle of April to the first of May. I prefer trail or dirt road.

We are going to see my mom for Christmas, so if Salty is still around here somewhere . . . I see a meet-up in our future. Someone else is up in that area, but I can't remember who right now. Kristen? It's the final week of classes here, and my brain is fried. I'd love to find a New Year's run to do in that area while I'm there.

I have so many questions that I'll keep to myself. I hope that the program is a huge hit and that you all have a blast.

2013-12-03 1:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Tights: Whatever's cheap

Watch: IF I have to wear one, whatever's cheap with a stopwatch function

(see a trend?   I'm not a good person to ask I guess.

Felicia, Washington is pretty great. I'll give you a list of must-see/do if you wish. Perhaps a New Year's day run is in store? Kirsten, you in? Do they have a New Year in Canada?

2013-12-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by jmkizer

Another question for the Manatees, for those of you with running watches, how many fields do you have displayed on your main screen?  What fields do you find most useful?

As an aside for Monica, have you tried a foot pod (since you have satellite interference due to the buildings)?

I have 4 fields displayed: time of day, current pace, distance and total time. Probably the most useful are pace and distance, but I must have time of day too b/c I hate not knowing what time it is! I know that's a bit weird, but there you go. The least useful, then, is total time.

I have 3 up, but that's the limit of my watch (Garmin 210). Pace and distance are always there. I spend more time with HR as the third, but also check time elapsed as well. When I had a 310 before I had all 4 of these on one screen. A second screen swapped in current lap time & distance for overall on the 1st screen.

Haven't used a foot pod and haven't felt much need to.

Thanks Hands and Ben!

I currently use four fields (HR, average pace, total distance, total time).  I have time of day on the second screen.  I'm trying to figure out if I live with three fields. My current watch bruises my wrist on long runs so I am looking for something that will do well on smaller wrists.

2013-12-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Felicia, Washington is pretty great. I'll give you a list of must-see/do if you wish. Perhaps a New Year's day run is in store? Kirsten, you in? Do they have a New Year in Canada?

Yeah, but it's a couple weeks earlier than yours .  I could go for a run on Jan 1st though. 

2013-12-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jobaxas What can I say about Thailand. 

there are some pics i can post - but a lot i can't. It was a blast - can't wait for the next one.

Thanks for sharing!  Of course we'd love some pictures. A baby elephant?  Macca's swim secrets?  Romance in camp?  Oh my!

2013-12-03 1:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Another question for the Manatees, for those of you with running watches, how many fields do you have displayed on your main screen?  What fields do you find most useful?

As an aside for Monica, have you tried a foot pod (since you have satellite interference due to the buildings)?

I have 4 fields displayed: time of day, current pace, distance and total time. Probably the most useful are pace and distance, but I must have time of day too b/c I hate not knowing what time it is! I know that's a bit weird, but there you go. The least useful, then, is total time.

I have 3 up, but that's the limit of my watch (Garmin 210). Pace and distance are always there. I spend more time with HR as the third, but also check time elapsed as well. When I had a 310 before I had all 4 of these on one screen. A second screen swapped in current lap time & distance for overall on the 1st screen.

Thanks Hands and Ben!

I currently use four fields (HR, average pace, total distance, total time).  I have time of day on the second screen.  I'm trying to figure out if I live with three fields. My current watch bruises my wrist on long runs so I am looking for something that will do well on smaller wrists.

I have very small wrists too and when I had the 205 had to wear my everyday timex watch with the 205 to stop it from bruising up my hand. I don't have that same issue with either the 310 or 910 as their entire band has slots, so I can cinch the watch as tightly as I want. What type of watch do you have? I know you've posted it before, but I'm too lazy to scroll back
2013-12-03 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Pfft.  Sucks about that marathon.  Oh well.  There will be others.

We want penguin pictures!

ETA: Other marathons, that is!

Edited by jmkizer 2013-12-03 1:51 PM
2013-12-03 1:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks Hands and Ben!

I have very small wrists too and when I had the 205 had to wear my everyday timex watch with the 205 to stop it from bruising up my hand. I don't have that same issue with either the 310 or 910 as their entire band has slots, so I can cinch the watch as tightly as I want. What type of watch do you have? I know you've posted it before, but I'm too lazy to scroll back

The 310 has been beating me up.

2013-12-03 2:12 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks Hands and Ben!

Don't know how it'd fit a smaller wrist, but the 210 is noticeably lighter than the 310 (or 205). Didn't think I'd notice, but did. Garmin seems to have a couple newer models that are also light (620 & 220), but I don't really know anything else about them.

I didn't like going from 4 to 3 items at first, but got used to it soon enough. Now I don't really care.

2013-12-03 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks Hands and Ben!

That surprises me! Man, I thought my 5" wrists was small, you must be really tiny!

2013-12-03 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks Hands and Ben!

That surprises me! Man, I thought my 5" wrists was small, you must be really tiny!

I think that it's small + between sizes.  One set of holes is a bit larger and the next is too tight (cannot bend wrist).

2013-12-03 3:21 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I think that it's small + between sizes.  One set of holes is a bit larger and the next is too tight (cannot bend wrist).

I know the 910 has a velcro strap
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/lanyards-straps-...

and I'm sure there are others for other models (even if they are 3rd party).

310info
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?1589-Velcro-strap-for-310xt...
2013-12-03 3:28 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I know the 910 has a velcro straphttps://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/lanyards-straps-holsters-and-clips/forerunner-910xt-fabric-wrist-strap-short-/prod101879_010-11251-08.htmland I'm sure there are others for other models (even if they are 3rd party).310infohttps://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?1589-Velcro-strap-for-310xt&p=12512#post12512
I forgot about switching out the bands-good call!
2013-12-03 3:35 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I know the 910 has a velcro straphttps://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/lanyards-straps-holsters-and-clips/forerunner-910xt-fabric-wrist-strap-short-/prod101879_010-11251-08.htmland I'm sure there are others for other models (even if they are 3rd party).310infohttps://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?1589-Velcro-strap-for-310xt&p=12512#post12512
I forgot about switching out the bands-good call!

I am your source for all things shopping
2013-12-03 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Jumping in with a somewhat random comment about small wrists.

I wear the child's size road ID. My step daughter was looking at my hands and wrists this past week and said I looked deformed. No, it's just all the bones that you don't normally see on regular sized people.

I don't wear fancy running watches, so the one I wear is pretty light, but it has only one display and does bounce around a lot. I can't remember what brand it is (I had to replace the one you sent me TJ because I ruined part of the display in the pool). I don't recommend it because during my half on Thanksgiving day, the bouncing around on my wrist kept pausing the stop watch. There must be a way to lock the screen. On the positive side, it is light blue with green accents, so it looks really cute.

2013-12-03 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So nice to wake up to some Manatee banter this morning. I've missed you guys.

I've had a week of early mornings and late nights at work which will last through until next Friday. I haven't done any exercise and I was such a B!tch at work yesterday morning that it surprised me. No exercise and people who think "do not disturb" signs don't apply to them means two pairs of cranky pants for me!

Tell me this, would it be wrong to wear tri pants under my Grad dress instead of suckgutbut pants. They do about the same job, are heaps more comfortable and you won't see them.
2013-12-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Elite
Trying to post a pic wish me luck - Bob Babbitt

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1726KB - 3 downloads)
2013-12-03 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Thanks Hands and Ben!

As a temporary solution could you use a head buff doubled up on your wrist to protect your watch from bumping into it?
2013-12-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Well, it's been a few days since feeling no pain at all in my feet. Still worried about testing it out with a jog, but lucky (or unlucky) enough I'm far too busy to do training at the moment. Stupid tendinitis gave me too much stupid time on my stupid hands so I stupidly decided to gut the family bathroom and am in the process of doing a full stupid retile and refit. And all this stupid refurb has eaten in to my cash stash that was gonna be used on a new frame/ powertap wheel/ bike. Humph...
2013-12-03 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

2013-12-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by bcraht

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah, but it's a couple weeks earlier than yours .  I could go for a run on Jan 1st though. 

I could go for a Jan 1 run, too.

2013-12-03 11:52 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

As requested, my darling star, on tip toes, wearing my 2XU compression socks, no less.

Edited by KansasMom 2013-12-04 12:23 AM
2013-12-04 6:33 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

As requested, my darling star, on tip toes, wearing my 2XU compression socks, no less.

Awesome!! I love it. Was he singing? or was it a speaking role?

2013-12-04 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Well, it's been a few days since feeling no pain at all in my feet. Still worried about testing it out with a jog, but lucky (or unlucky) enough I'm far too busy to do training at the moment. Stupid tendinitis gave me too much stupid time on my stupid hands so I stupidly decided to gut the family bathroom and am in the process of doing a full stupid retile and refit. And all this stupid refurb has eaten in to my cash stash that was gonna be used on a new frame/ powertap wheel/ bike. Humph...

Darren, smile a bit, your wife will love the "stupid" tile job. 

Hey, BTW, what was the software you were using for the bike fitting photos you had done a while back?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.