BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-16 6:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by cdban66

This is high on my fav list:

I need to try this:

Apple-Cinnamon!!

^^^^those have been my "go to" Gu choice, but had one last week and barely choked it down. Either need to re-train myself on the Gu or try a different flavor for awhile.

I hate the thickness of gel so I always gag a bit on it if I'm consuming via the packets.  I prefer to buy in bulk and use flasks so I can add some water.  Goes down much easier.

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-16 6:25 PM

2015-01-16 7:22 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Adrienne, yes, meant that for you. I originally typed your name, went back through the thread & then decided incorrectly that TJ wrote it.

Those carriers are huge compared to the old ones (and the old ones were big, too).
2015-01-16 9:05 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks so much everybody for the help with intraworkout nutrition. I got a couple of gels to bring, but I'm going to try and not use them.

Ps - I wasn't born when Helens erupted either. But just barely.
2015-01-16 9:59 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
2015-01-16 11:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

January 17-18
Adrienne - Capitol Peak Mega Fat 25K Trail Run on Saturday
Steve - 5k trail run on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge participants, Mary is continuing to stalk you!

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Gooooooo, you two racy Manatees!  Steve, can you take a look at Adrienne's race title...and make up a more entertaining one for yours?  

Mary and MatTX, get yourselves healed up. I know you're working hard at not working too hard. Patience.

2015-01-16 11:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

This is high on my fav list:

I need to try this:

Apple-Cinnamon!!

^^^^those have been my "go to" Gu choice, but had one last week and barely choked it down. Either need to re-train myself on the Gu or try a different flavor for awhile.

I hate the thickness of gel so I always gag a bit on it if I'm consuming via the packets.  I prefer to buy in bulk and use flasks so I can add some water.  Goes down much easier.

Hmmm...like 2:1? or thinner even?  I can experiment.

2015-01-17 12:48 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

OK Erin.

36th Annual Nookachamps Winter Runs 5k

..and 4 gel to1 water makes it a lot easier to go down

2015-01-17 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Steve, do you carry a flask when running a longer race? I do when I ride(filled with honey), but haven't really thought about running with one. I also don't use enough at this point to buy in bulk, but I may look into it due to pricing and ease of carrying on the bike.

I have something similar to this that I got at Walmart for $1 that I carry on the bike:

2015-01-17 7:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
All this nutrition talk has got me wondering what I will use in my Oly. What do you all think of apple juice instead of sports drink (maybe slightly watered down). I just really don't like sports drink, I have used diluted apple juice on some of my longer rides but will it replenish what is needed?
2015-01-17 9:19 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

All weekend. It's REALLY warm. Like not feeling at all like winter kind of weather. I'd be happy dropping 8-10* off this.                  

Switch to                Celsius                                       

Today

Mostly Sunny                                 

Hi: 74 °F                                      

Mostly sunny. Highs 69 to 74. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.… more                 

Tonight

Mostly Clear                                 

Lo: 43 °F                                      

Mostly clear. Lows 39 to 47. Northeast wind around 5 mph.… more

Gonna be 100+ here today and slightly cooler tomorrow (maybe 95). But Gerrie has found a place to keep cool for at least part of the day.

Baaaahahaha! The expression is just punctuated by that bright flower.

Our dogs dig holes to reach cooler dirt in the summer. Luckily they are only outside for short periods when it's so hot. Poor yard

2015-01-17 9:26 AM

User image

Master

OK Erin.

36th Annual Nookachamps Winter Runs 5k

..and 4 gel to1 water makes it a lot easier to go down

Ahhhhhhh...much better.

and thanks

2015-01-17 3:11 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Hey Manatees, 

Do me a favor and record your miles from this weekends training to this site     http://www.run4meg.com

Meg was a local woman who was training for her second Boston Marathon last January and was struck by a drunk driver at 8:15 on a Monday morning.  The link tells more of her story.

2015-01-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

It was just below freezing when I got up this morning.  I am an early riser.      By 10 am the temperature had risen to 50 and off I went for a 20 mile ride.   The trainer does not help with  hill fitness.  No matter.    Got home, cleaned up and ate lunch.      By 1:00 pm the temperature reached 60.   So off I go the river.   Kayaked for a couple of hours.   Didn't see hardly a one when I was out.    Not even the water patrol.   Just got in and am proceeding to fire up the grill.    Does a frozen daiquiri go well with a steak, potatoes, and a salad?   No matter we will manage.    Dr. Shortstop is preceding to build a fire in the fire pit.  Dr. Shortstop does not do triathlons.  She doesn't mind my training.  Whilst I am off swimming, biking or running she is doing cross fit.   It works out.   The temperature has started to drop and it's near sunset.    It's been a great day and shaping up for a great evening.   Will set up the telescope as it should be a gorgeously clear night.   

Hope everyone else has had a good day.   Carpe Diem.

Take that, old man winter....

2015-01-17 5:10 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees, 

Do me a favor and record your miles from this weekends training to this site     http://www.run4meg.com

Meg was a local woman who was training for her second Boston Marathon last January and was struck by a drunk driver at 8:15 on a Monday morning.  The link tells more of her story.

Done.  Thanks for passing this along, Judi.  I know you have been running for Meg for the past year.

2015-01-17 5:24 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Judi I'll definitely log my miles there.So good day for me. Stopped in to my fave LTS for their big moving sale. Coach Scott was just finishing up a clinic so all the training group peeps were there so I got to catch up with a bunch of them. Coach introduced me to one of his new peeps as one of "his" athletes. Thought it was funny. Told him I'll do some of their group runs when it fits my training. Then this happened...

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (893KB - 1 downloads)
2015-01-17 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunnerJudi I'll definitely log my miles there.So good day for me. Stopped in to my fave LTS for their big moving sale. Coach Scott was just finishing up a clinic so all the training group peeps were there so I got to catch up with a bunch of them. Coach introduced me to one of his new peeps as one of "his" athletes. Thought it was funny. Told him I'll do some of their group runs when it fits my training. Then this happened...

I wonder...Did he mark his territory?

'Twas bound to happen sometime.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-01-17 6:07 PM

2015-01-17 6:29 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees, 

Done.  Thanks for passing this along, Judi.  I know you have been running for Meg for the past year.

Thank you.  Several of us were interviewed by the Richmond Times Dispatch after the run.  We got to share how and why running for Meg impacts us.  I got to share how after  that miserable marathon in 2013 that I didn't think I ever wanted to run again--and that her death made me want to run in a new way. She was quite gifted as a runner and athlete--something I will never be.....but I will do my best to run smart and honor her legacy.

2015-01-17 6:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by rrrunner Judi I'll definitely log my miles there.So good day for me. Stopped in to my fave LTS for their big moving sale. Coach Scott was just finishing up a clinic so all the training group peeps were there so I got to catch up with a bunch of them. Coach introduced me to one of his new peeps as one of "his" athletes. Thought it was funny. Told him I'll do some of their group runs when it fits my training. Then this happened...

Nice MTB  

2015-01-17 6:41 PM

User image

Master

We had a nice ride this morning. Nothing spectacular, except I didn't crash while using my new pedals (that might be pretty awesome, actually). I did take a few miles to get less sketchy feeling. In mile 1 we came to the big drop from Papago race last year...walked down it. Had a slight panic attack :/ After two big crashes late in the year,  I can't believe I rode down it, on platforms, in my first mtn bike race last January. We did a little of everything so it was a useful morning practice-wise.

Super warm afternoon, so the kids and I cleaned off the trampoline. I threw on a suit ( of the swimming variety) and got some sun while I sprayed off the patio and the kids played "water dodge" on the tramp. T said, "Mom, it's like summer!" No...it's better than summer. We can walk barefoot 

We didn't stop much during our ride, but here's a nice pic of one of the Papago rock formations.

(20150117_114507.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150117_114507.jpg (54KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-17 9:05 PM

User image

Seattle
Had a fun trail racing debut. Trail racing is so strange. There doesn't seem to be a very official start. After they tell you a long list of hazards and safety notes everyone just seems to take off. For that reason at no point did I know where I was 8n relation to the leaders so I just did my thing. Took photos, visited the aid station (beer and tequila! ) The forest is open to hunting and at one point I heard gunshots to my left that were getting closer and then on my left AND right. But I survived! Got second overally female, too. Wish I had know I was in contention lol
2015-01-17 9:06 PM

User image

Seattle

We had a nice ride this morning. Nothing spectacular, except I didn't crash while using my new pedals (that might be pretty awesome, actually). I did take a few miles to get less sketchy feeling. In mile 1 we came to the big drop from Papago race last year...walked down it. Had a slight panic attack :/ After two big crashes late in the year,  I can't believe I rode down it, on platforms, in my first mtn bike race last January. We did a little of everything so it was a useful morning practice-wise.

Super warm afternoon, so the kids and I cleaned off the trampoline. I threw on a suit ( of the swimming variety) and got some sun while I sprayed off the patio and the kids played "water dodge" on the tramp. T said, "Mom, it's like summer!" No...it's better than summer. We can walk barefoot 

We didn't stop much during our ride, but here's a nice pic of one of the Papago rock formations.

Not crashing, that is spectatular! Beautiful

2015-01-17 9:20 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Yay for 2nd OA and not getting shot!!!!
2015-01-17 9:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Originally posted by AsalzwedHad a fun trail racing debut. Trail racing Is so strange. There doesn't seem be a very official start. After they tell you a long list of hazards and safety notes everyone just seems to take off. For that reason at no point did I know where I was 8n relation to the leaders so I just did my thing. Took photos, visited the aid station (beer and tequila! ) The forest is open to hunting and at one point I heard gunshots to my left that were getting closer and then on my left AND right. But I survived! Got second overally female, too. Wish I had know I was in contention lol
From the trail race research I've done around here, I think you're right. Pics/video/descriptions all show a very relaxed atmosphere. Go. Run. Return alive. Which you did, despite random gunshots. Motivation??? Nice placing!
2015-01-17 9:56 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by AsalzwedHad a fun trail racing debut. Trail racing Is so strange. There doesn't seem be a very official start. After they tell you a long list of hazards and safety notes everyone just seems to take off. For that reason at no point did I know where I was 8n relation to the leaders so I just did my thing. Took photos, visited the aid station (beer and tequila! ) The forest is open to hunting and at one point I heard gunshots to my left that were getting closer and then on my left AND right. But I survived! Got second overally female, too. Wish I had know I was in contention lol
From the trail race research I've done around here, I think you're right. Pics/video/descriptions all show a very relaxed atmosphere. Go. Run. Return alive. Which you did, despite random gunshots. Motivation??? Nice placing!

That relaxed atmosphere is what I've seen too. Just go have fun.

2015-01-17 11:55 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed Had a fun trail racing debut. Trail racing is so strange. There doesn't seem to be a very official start. After they tell you a long list of hazards and safety notes everyone just seems to take off. For that reason at no point did I know where I was 8n relation to the leaders so I just did my thing. Took photos, visited the aid station (beer and tequila! ) The forest is open to hunting and at one point I heard gunshots to my left that were getting closer and then on my left AND right. But I survived! Got second overally female, too. Wish I had know I was in contention lol

Good job on 2nd OA.  That is great.  Very happy for you.

Trail racing is a different animal.  Very little pretentiousness.  I think everyone just knows they are a badazz for showing up for such a tough event.  Hope Leslie had a good day too and you got to have a beer or two together.

I had a good race today too.  Was 14 OA out of 204.  3rd in my age group.  40 seconds faster than last year.  Not much to complain about on a tough course.  Weather was a lot better than expected.  RR later.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55454 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.