BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-02 7:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by marysia83Got back from spring break in warm Florida and am full of positive energy - mental and training wise. Even though I like winter, there is something about the end of it, around March, where I get into some sort of nostalgia point, where it is hard for me to concentrate, stick to my goals, be productive and happy overall. It is more melancholic than November. And Chicago winters can be very frustrating, thus, the longer they last, the more miserable I feel...This year we decided to spring break in Florida. We are moving to CO next year, and wanted to take the chance of exploring more of East since it is closer now than it will be after 2020. We landed in the beautiful campground in the middle of Florida, so green and rich in springish life, all covered in sun rays, I felt reborn and happy. We did tons of mountain biking, and the energy kicked in. We're back to Chicago area, it's still cold, but nice and sunny. I am planning to run outside on my lunch break in a moment. Can't wait for it!I signed up for the challenges, can't wait to participate again. Now that it's finally spring, I am hoping to have way more motivation and fun Congrats to Stacey! Have a great awesome new week everyone!Karen,how's recovery going?
your enthusiasm is infectious. Just in case, I am going to take 10 days of camping in Fla, with a side trip to Key West, just to make sure i have as much when i get back.

haha! Funny, Florida doesn’t give me that enthusiasm , I have to go to the mountains for mine!

I know! Here Robin is going from the WNC to FL for camping while we are heading to WNC as a vacation spot!

Kevin looked at a place in Brevard this weekend. Unfortunately, his final report was "it's a dump." Oh well..

im sure he wouldn’t have to look hard to find a non-dump place!

I'm not sure about NC, but non-dump probably means $$$$$.

Maybe the answer is buy part of a place that is shared with other Manatees, I'm sure you can find someone like Ann-Marie to go in on this place with you. 

Haha! The issue is that no much goes on the market in the places that we have an eye on. Ah well, more time to save up, right?

This was a town home walking distance to downtown Brevard. The interior had never had anything done with it in ever. That's annoying bit fixable. The exterior was maintained by the HOA -- and had quite a bit of rot. Yeah... So you pay $200/mo for rot? Does not cover water/sewer/trash or anything, just "maintaining" the exterior. Anyway, Kevin was not impressed with anything other than the location. Oh, and it had a weird  walk through shared bathroom thing. I asked if it was a Jack and Jill and he said, "No. Weirder." OK....

(so Chris, you are tent camping next month)

Well, sort of tent camping. I use a hammock with a rainfly and bug net. I like being up off the ground, I've always been comfortable in the hammock, and it packs up pretty small and easy. I considered the trailer, but it's a bit of a pain to pull just for me, especially given my comfort in the other setup. Kevin mentioned his tent setup, so we'll be pretty similar in that regard. BTW, Ann is going to be testing out the hammock this weekend, so I may be buying a second setup for her so we can camp with SCORR. I may be adding a rack to the hardtail at some point to make bikepacking a bit more feasible.

"Hammocking" is kind of a big deal around here. Kids, especially, will "Hammock" in the National Forest along the national forest. It's surreal to look into the wood and see 20 brightly colored hammocks hanging at all heights in the trees. Outlined with all colors of LED lights.
Personally, I prefer them for a short nap during the day, but not to spend the night.

2019-04-03 6:44 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by marysia83Got back from spring break in warm Florida and am full of positive energy - mental and training wise. Even though I like winter, there is something about the end of it, around March, where I get into some sort of nostalgia point, where it is hard for me to concentrate, stick to my goals, be productive and happy overall. It is more melancholic than November. And Chicago winters can be very frustrating, thus, the longer they last, the more miserable I feel...This year we decided to spring break in Florida. We are moving to CO next year, and wanted to take the chance of exploring more of East since it is closer now than it will be after 2020. We landed in the beautiful campground in the middle of Florida, so green and rich in springish life, all covered in sun rays, I felt reborn and happy. We did tons of mountain biking, and the energy kicked in. We're back to Chicago area, it's still cold, but nice and sunny. I am planning to run outside on my lunch break in a moment. Can't wait for it!I signed up for the challenges, can't wait to participate again. Now that it's finally spring, I am hoping to have way more motivation and fun Congrats to Stacey! Have a great awesome new week everyone!Karen,how's recovery going?
your enthusiasm is infectious. Just in case, I am going to take 10 days of camping in Fla, with a side trip to Key West, just to make sure i have as much when i get back.

haha! Funny, Florida doesn’t give me that enthusiasm , I have to go to the mountains for mine!

I know! Here Robin is going from the WNC to FL for camping while we are heading to WNC as a vacation spot!

Kevin looked at a place in Brevard this weekend. Unfortunately, his final report was "it's a dump." Oh well..

im sure he wouldn’t have to look hard to find a non-dump place!

I'm not sure about NC, but non-dump probably means $$$$$.

Maybe the answer is buy part of a place that is shared with other Manatees, I'm sure you can find someone like Ann-Marie to go in on this place with you. 

Haha! The issue is that no much goes on the market in the places that we have an eye on. Ah well, more time to save up, right?

This was a town home walking distance to downtown Brevard. The interior had never had anything done with it in ever. That's annoying bit fixable. The exterior was maintained by the HOA -- and had quite a bit of rot. Yeah... So you pay $200/mo for rot? Does not cover water/sewer/trash or anything, just "maintaining" the exterior. Anyway, Kevin was not impressed with anything other than the location. Oh, and it had a weird  walk through shared bathroom thing. I asked if it was a Jack and Jill and he said, "No. Weirder." OK....

(so Chris, you are tent camping next month)

Well, sort of tent camping. I use a hammock with a rainfly and bug net. I like being up off the ground, I've always been comfortable in the hammock, and it packs up pretty small and easy. I considered the trailer, but it's a bit of a pain to pull just for me, especially given my comfort in the other setup. Kevin mentioned his tent setup, so we'll be pretty similar in that regard. BTW, Ann is going to be testing out the hammock this weekend, so I may be buying a second setup for her so we can camp with SCORR. I may be adding a rack to the hardtail at some point to make bikepacking a bit more feasible.

"Hammocking" is kind of a big deal around here. Kids, especially, will "Hammock" in the National Forest along the national forest. It's surreal to look into the wood and see 20 brightly colored hammocks hanging at all heights in the trees. Outlined with all colors of LED lights. Personally, I prefer them for a short nap during the day, but not to spend the night.

Maybe Chris can save me some money by hooking Kevin up!

2019-04-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I don't think saving money is in the cards. The definition of camping is "paying a lot of money to spend time living like a homeless person."

2019-04-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert

I don't think saving money is in the cards. The definition of camping is "paying a lot of money to spend time living like a homeless person."

Hammocking is spending a lot of money to spend time living like people in the 3rd world.
2019-04-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hammocking is spending a lot of money to spend time living like people in the 3rd world.

A lot of money?? I don't know how you guys camp........... This is the cheapest way for cool vacation!
2019-04-04 4:58 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83

A lot of money?? I don't know how you guys camp........... This is the cheapest way for cool vacation!
i now glamp, unless we are backpacking. We are getting ready to head to Fla tomorow with said glamper. Mr. Banting is brave enough to meet up for some mountain biking with us. then on to key west for some endurance work.

2019-04-05 8:29 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83

i now glamp, unless we are backpacking. We are getting ready to head to Fla tomorow with said glamper. Mr. Banting is brave enough to meet up for some mountain biking with us. then on to key west for some endurance work.

Glamping!  Manatee meetup!  Key West!  Lots of good things in store for you, enjoy!

2019-04-05 12:23 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7
Stacey - Judgement Tree Night Trail 12k on Saturday
Jim - Klondike Canoe Marathon 10K run on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-04-05 2:25 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

Have a great time!
2019-04-05 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

Go Stacey and Jim! Fun sounding races!!

2019-04-06 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

have fun at your races..they both sound intriguing.

2019-04-06 6:24 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I am officially on day 1 of 10 days of spring break. (Insert cheers here)

Trying a Master's swim group on Monday to see if I want to join them during my summer break in June and July.

7 weeks until HIM. Looks to be a super, super small race. Will be interesting to race for 6 hours with lots of people and crowds.
2019-04-06 9:27 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Lucky you--I would give anything to be training for ANYTHING! Trying to get back into the biking and PT routine after somewhat of a relapse last week. I didn't have access to PT or a stationary in Portland (the latter my fault for booking too cheap a hotel) and taking Andreas was not doable as I can't lift him or the trainer, or get him in and out of the trainer (which requires such a firm shove it may well be beyond me for months) and Mom doesn't understand how to do it. Then somehow the drive back triggered a bunch of inflammation that led to a nerve irritation that was truly miserable--no sleep all night Wednesday and trying not to scream. I've had nerve issues there periodically from a previous injury, especially if I'm cold or after long, bumpy bike rides, and my ulnar nerve is none too happy about now having to share the already scarce real estate in my skinny little elbow with a bunch of metalwork. It's calmed down quite a bit after PT and lots of Advil, but getting HR up on the bike is still causing some swelling and it still feels kind of touchy.

The PT thinks I could start swimming and hoping to do it later next week. I don't have awesome range of motion yet (maybe 90 to 160 degrees without "help") but that should get me through a basic freestyle stroke with the fins. Maybe. Just would like the nerve thing to calm down a bit more before then. Sometimes it refers to the skin and it becomes excruciatingly sensitive to anything--cold, heat, touch--and afraid I'll scream if that happens at the pool--water is not always that warm. Need a calm tropical ocean!
2019-04-07 3:24 PM
in reply to: #5257446

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Question: How many of you are comfortable riding your bike solo outdoors?

I'm ok riding mine at the local Army base. The roads are relatively traffic free, there are other cyclists out there, and the MPs drive the road every few hours. The dilemma? It's hilly as hell and my workouts are based on power. The hills are large enough that I'm at 100+% FTP as soon as I head up. I want to ride out there, but not every week.

Today I did 3:05 on the trainer. It was bearable and not nearly as awful as I expected, but as I move from HIM prep to IM prep, I cannot even fathom 6+ hours on a trainer.

We have some nice routes with good rollers up by the lake. However, I just don't know I feel comfortable riding solo. However, riding in a group is a pain, too, particularly when you have a specific thing you need to get done. Then there's the whole people who are late, etc. I just want to get there, get on my bike, and get done.

What do you do to keep yourself safer if you choose to ride by yourself?
2019-04-07 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by glfprncsQuestion: How many of you are comfortable riding your bike solo outdoors? I'm ok riding mine at the local Army base. The roads are relatively traffic free, there are other cyclists out there, and the MPs drive the road every few hours. The dilemma? It's hilly as hell and my workouts are based on power. The hills are large enough that I'm at 100+% FTP as soon as I head up. I want to ride out there, but not every week.Today I did 3:05 on the trainer. It was bearable and not nearly as awful as I expected, but as I move from HIM prep to IM prep, I cannot even fathom 6+ hours on a trainer. We have some nice routes with good rollers up by the lake. However, I just don't know I feel comfortable riding solo. However, riding in a group is a pain, too, particularly when you have a specific thing you need to get done. Then there's the whole people who are late, etc. I just want to get there, get on my bike, and get done.What do you do to keep yourself safer if you choose to ride by yourself?
For IM Louisville I trained mostly by myself, so lots of solo outdoor rides. For IM Choo, most rides were with a friend who was also doing the race. For my upcoming Choo 70.3 I’m back to solo training. I have no issues riding alone, other than it’s more fun with others! The 2 places I do most of my rides are cyclist central, so, in theory, the people in the area are used to cyclist and or there are so many out and about it’s almost like riding with others- though this morning I only saw a few other cyclists for some reason! One thing I do to be more visible is on busier roads I will not go into aero! I’m a small enough object on the road, I don’t need to make myself smaller! I also use a blinking back light.
2019-04-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
(This would reflect the past, not the present. Guessing that close to 100% of my riding this year will be on the trainer or stationary. Not just a matter of injury, but rough local roads that would make things painful; not training for any events involving bikes, lack of usable bike paths for training.)

I don't do much solo riding. Pretty much most of what I do do would be in fairly controlled environments where I can expect to see plenty of other cyclists. For example, the industrial park in Saigon (a 4-mile loop closed to traffic except workers and deliveries within the park; popular with cyclists on weekends), the Row River trail outside Eugene (a 15-mile long MUP that runs through farmland and small towns; relatively few pedestrians but popular with cyclists). When I have ridden solo here in Idaho, it's generally to/from a group meet-up (a very well-traveled route from our suburb to Boise with a bike lane and plenty of bikers) or sometimes a warmup or cool down on a loop from our house (about 10-12 miles depending on route). Bike lane most of the way, plenty of houses en route, although it goes through a rural area, easily explainable route so I could call if in need of a ride home; I can expect to see at least a few other cyclists per mile. Those are my basic standards for solo cycling. I always carry a small repair kit (with two tubes--Idaho roads are nasty), phone, ID, and health insurance card just in case. Except for races, don't generally ride in aero on roads shared with cars, only on the multi-use path in Oregon and in the industrial park in Vietnam. I also get out of aero if I am approaching pedestrians, other cyclists, dogs, or wildlife.

I'm just not comfortable riding solo in more remote areas. Idaho's very rural; it does't take long, even from where I live now, to get somewhere where the next farmhouse might be several miles away, there may not be a good cell or GPS signal, or even any at all, and cars don't come by that often. There is a lot of empty ranch and forest land around where someone up to no good could do their thing. I would probably be braver about solo riding were I male, better at bike repair, and living in a more populous area with better roads.

One suggestion for IM and HIM training would be to split the longest rides between trainer or group ride, and solo ride. That way you don't have to think about 6 hours on a trainer. Typically I would split a lot of my long rides for HIM training in Saigon between industrial park and trainer (start out in the park just after sunrise; end up indoors when it got hotter and more polluted). I often split my long rides here for IM training between a 3-4 hour group ride and the rest on the trainer and/or riding to/from the meet up point and my 10-12 mile loop from home.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-07 7:21 PM

2019-04-07 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This is one of those areas that I hate to admit that gender plays a role in, but it does for many. 

I do know that I am quite comfortable fixing my bike and do bring a few items such as spare tubes, pump, multi-tool, etc. And I do know how to use them. I carry a small first aid kit. I have my cell phone. I where bright colors.  I use blinking rear lights.  I always send a snapshot of the route I am riding to Ann, along with a time estimate. After that, it is simply riding. I am comfortable on the highway, since I've done it for a while. I have found that the most dangerous riding is actually in the neighborhoods here, where some folks may not be as attentive to the roads as they could be.  But, after some trial and error, I have found which roads work, which ones are less positive and how best to reduce Ann's anxiety.  You can actually do some Strava stalking to find routes that are more favorable.  I don't know how your relationship is with your LBS, but they can generally help out with route finding as well. Also, I don't have a trainer, and hope that I never do, so I have made every effort to find routes that work for me. 

I will say that group rides have been a great addition for me. These can be a bit intimidating when you first join. But again, trial and error can help you find the ones that work best for you. I was amazed at how much my fitness improved when I did them regularly. These also pushed me to be a better rider, and not simply from the fitness perspective. I have better bike handling skills and am more attentive to the things going on around me. 

2019-04-07 8:26 PM

User image

I do most of my rides on the trainer. When I do my long rides, I ride the Ironman and 70.3 course in Boulder where you can't go more than 5 minutes without seeing another cyclist. The bike lanes are good but there have been a few deaths the past few years due to distracted drivers. I have also experienced being pushed almost off the road by a person who was not happy there were cyclists on his road, even though I was in the bike lane. He actually crossed into the bike lane as he yelled at me.

I will ride with a few friends but large groups make me nervous because I don't always know the experience of the other riders, as in do they know how to ride in a group? Mostly I ride when I know others from my tri team will be around. I don't have the same coach as they do so riding exactly together is challenging. They have my number and I have theirs in case we need each other.

Finally, Road ID has an amazing tracking app. My husband and I use it all the time when we're running or I'm biking. He can see exactly where I am at all times. It will alert him if I've stopped for more than 5 minutes. It can also be set as my lock screen so others can get my information if I can't speak. I also wear the Road ID bracelet for all runs and rides.
2019-04-07 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

Epic fail at my run on Saturday night. 3 of us missed a turn and got off track (and it wasn't even dark). We eventually turned around and worked our way back up the hill but didn't find the marked trail until we were almost back at the start finish line. We wanted to do the out and back of the short run but the volunteer made us go into the finish. In total we only did 4km which was a bummer. We found out later that the reason that we didn't find the marked trail as we came back up the hill is because they had the sweep deflagging it behind the last runner and we had been a fair way ahead of them and so he didn't know that we had gone off course.

Anyway I still had fun and it is always great to run the trails and even better in the dark. But I do think that I need to upgrade my watch to a Fenix 5S so that I can load maps onto it. I get lost very easily and that is the reason that I never run trails on my own apart from the one that runs directly along the side of the road.
2019-04-08 6:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Lucky you--I would give anything to be training for ANYTHING! Trying to get back into the biking and PT routine after somewhat of a relapse last week. I didn't have access to PT or a stationary in Portland (the latter my fault for booking too cheap a hotel) and taking Andreas was not doable as I can't lift him or the trainer, or get him in and out of the trainer (which requires such a firm shove it may well be beyond me for months) and Mom doesn't understand how to do it. Then somehow the drive back triggered a bunch of inflammation that led to a nerve irritation that was truly miserable--no sleep all night Wednesday and trying not to scream. I've had nerve issues there periodically from a previous injury, especially if I'm cold or after long, bumpy bike rides, and my ulnar nerve is none too happy about now having to share the already scarce real estate in my skinny little elbow with a bunch of metalwork. It's calmed down quite a bit after PT and lots of Advil, but getting HR up on the bike is still causing some swelling and it still feels kind of touchy. The PT thinks I could start swimming and hoping to do it later next week. I don't have awesome range of motion yet (maybe 90 to 160 degrees without "help") but that should get me through a basic freestyle stroke with the fins. Maybe. Just would like the nerve thing to calm down a bit more before then. Sometimes it refers to the skin and it becomes excruciatingly sensitive to anything--cold, heat, touch--and afraid I'll scream if that happens at the pool--water is not always that warm. Need a calm tropical ocean!

PT often seems to be a two steps forward, one step back proposition. Hopefully this is a short-lived setback.

Do you have any neighbors, friendly bike mechanics, etc. who could help you with your trainer setup? Once Andreas is in, can you tighten/loosen the tension on the wheel yourself? 

Hopefully, you can get in the pool soon. If nothing else, it will allow you to mix things up.

We all need a calm, tropical ocean! Take care!

2019-04-08 6:50 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncsQuestion: How many of you are comfortable riding your bike solo outdoors? I'm ok riding mine at the local Army base. The roads are relatively traffic free, there are other cyclists out there, and the MPs drive the road every few hours. The dilemma? It's hilly as hell and my workouts are based on power. The hills are large enough that I'm at 100+% FTP as soon as I head up. I want to ride out there, but not every week.Today I did 3:05 on the trainer. It was bearable and not nearly as awful as I expected, but as I move from HIM prep to IM prep, I cannot even fathom 6+ hours on a trainer. We have some nice routes with good rollers up by the lake. However, I just don't know I feel comfortable riding solo. However, riding in a group is a pain, too, particularly when you have a specific thing you need to get done. Then there's the whole people who are late, etc. I just want to get there, get on my bike, and get done.What do you do to keep yourself safer if you choose to ride by yourself?
For IM Louisville I trained mostly by myself, so lots of solo outdoor rides. For IM Choo, most rides were with a friend who was also doing the race. For my upcoming Choo 70.3 I’m back to solo training. I have no issues riding alone, other than it’s more fun with others! The 2 places I do most of my rides are cyclist central, so, in theory, the people in the area are used to cyclist and or there are so many out and about it’s almost like riding with others- though this morning I only saw a few other cyclists for some reason! One thing I do to be more visible is on busier roads I will not go into aero! I’m a small enough object on the road, I don’t need to make myself smaller! I also use a blinking back light.

Same. Riding with friends is more fun. Riding alone is OK but I pick routes that are in "cyclist central" and I also tell Kevin my ride plan (whether he listens or not...). Blinking back light always, blinking front light when solo.

I've also decided, for now at at least, that ride that are less than 90 minutes will most likely be on the trainer (development in my area is such that shorter rides are less productive -- it just takes too long to get out of town) and that I will ride with friends once a week if at all possible. While group rides are probably less than optimal for training, I got into this sport to have fun with friends. I'm hoping to achieve a better balance this year ;-)

2019-04-08 6:58 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner (This would reflect the past, not the present. Guessing that close to 100% of my riding this year will be on the trainer or stationary. Not just a matter of injury, but rough local roads that would make things painful; not training for any events involving bikes, lack of usable bike paths for training.) I don't do much solo riding. Pretty much most of what I do do would be in fairly controlled environments where I can expect to see plenty of other cyclists. For example, the industrial park in Saigon (a 4-mile loop closed to traffic except workers and deliveries within the park; popular with cyclists on weekends), the Row River trail outside Eugene (a 15-mile long MUP that runs through farmland and small towns; relatively few pedestrians but popular with cyclists). When I have ridden solo here in Idaho, it's generally to/from a group meet-up (a very well-traveled route from our suburb to Boise with a bike lane and plenty of bikers) or sometimes a warmup or cool down on a loop from our house (about 10-12 miles depending on route). Bike lane most of the way, plenty of houses en route, although it goes through a rural area, easily explainable route so I could call if in need of a ride home; I can expect to see at least a few other cyclists per mile. Those are my basic standards for solo cycling. I always carry a small repair kit (with two tubes--Idaho roads are nasty), phone, ID, and health insurance card just in case. Except for races, don't generally ride in aero on roads shared with cars, only on the multi-use path in Oregon and in the industrial park in Vietnam. I also get out of aero if I am approaching pedestrians, other cyclists, dogs, or wildlife. I'm just not comfortable riding solo in more remote areas. Idaho's very rural; it does't take long, even from where I live now, to get somewhere where the next farmhouse might be several miles away, there may not be a good cell or GPS signal, or even any at all, and cars don't come by that often. There is a lot of empty ranch and forest land around where someone up to no good could do their thing. I would probably be braver about solo riding were I male, better at bike repair, and living in a more populous area with better roads. One suggestion for IM and HIM training would be to split the longest rides between trainer or group ride, and solo ride. That way you don't have to think about 6 hours on a trainer. Typically I would split a lot of my long rides for HIM training in Saigon between industrial park and trainer (start out in the park just after sunrise; end up indoors when it got hotter and more polluted). I often split my long rides here for IM training between a 3-4 hour group ride and the rest on the trainer and/or riding to/from the meet up point and my 10-12 mile loop from home.

I know people who do that. Brett does this for time shifting purposes (can start the ride early, in the dark so opposite of what Karen did).

2019-04-08 7:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

April 6-7

Is anyone else racing?

Epic fail at my run on Saturday night. 3 of us missed a turn and got off track (and it wasn't even dark). We eventually turned around and worked our way back up the hill but didn't find the marked trail until we were almost back at the start finish line. We wanted to do the out and back of the short run but the volunteer made us go into the finish. In total we only did 4km which was a bummer. We found out later that the reason that we didn't find the marked trail as we came back up the hill is because they had the sweep deflagging it behind the last runner and we had been a fair way ahead of them and so he didn't know that we had gone off course. Anyway I still had fun and it is always great to run the trails and even better in the dark. But I do think that I need to upgrade my watch to a Fenix 5S so that I can load maps onto it. I get lost very easily and that is the reason that I never run trails on my own apart from the one that runs directly along the side of the road.

I'm sorry that you got lost on the trail but I LOVE your excuse to get a new watch :-) I need to use that!

Also, I wouldn't call it an Epic Fail. Isn't getting lost part of trail running?  (I'm just hoping that it's not part of our relay in November!)

2019-04-08 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of Garmin devices....

Good news! I'm nearly positive that the Garmin 935 is going on sale soon. First off, I saw photos the rumored 945 "in the wild." Then, the watch strap on my 920XT broke last night. Spending money to fix the watch that you want to replace soonish is a sure sign of a sale to come, right?
2019-04-08 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Speaking of Garmin devices....

Good news! I'm nearly positive that the Garmin 935 is going on sale soon. First off, I saw photos the rumored 945 "in the wild." Then, the watch strap on my 920XT broke last night. Spending money to fix the watch that you want to replace soonish is a sure sign of a sale to come, right?

That has to be the sign!

I read about garmin mistakenly including  the 945 in one of its advertisements in  Germany.  When they "realized" the mistake the 945 was removed from the ad. The cynic in me says it was not a mistake, but rather a great marketing ploy to get people talking!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107